Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 AM
With The Unforgiven

Exclamation A Note from The Unforgiven

Before I get into the third part of this not so little endeavor, there are a couple of things I need to address:

First, I want to address my choice of "The Unforgiven" as a pseudonym. I have shown a few guys in here what I've been writing and a couple have asked about the perceived link to the prison "gang" of the same name. I have no connection with them other than to know a few of them and they, or their beliefs, have no bearing on my choice. The decision to use "The Unforgiven" was based solely on my identifying deeply with the song "Unforgiven" by Metallica. The power and emotion of the song resonate within me and it speaks quite well the thoughts and feelings my existence breeds. My love of the song came with it's debut well before the guys chose it as a group to represent their anger and hopelessness.

Secondly, I want to erase, after the fact, a word from Part I. Due to my having to use "snail mail" to send my writings, and again to receive a copy in return for my own reference, you see the post before I see what was posted. Unfortunately my ol' lady and I can't afford to discuss every detail over the phone. Anyway, my girl decided to get legally cautious on me and inserted the word "allegedly" into the 10th paragraph when I wrote of eight guards at Florida State Prison being free after beating Frank Valdez to death. I understand her caution but the truth need not be cautious.

There was no question that these guards beat Frank to death. There is no question that they lied and falsified documents to cover it up. The sole question put before their hometown jury (whose foreman was an ex-correctional officer) was whether it was murder or a justifiable use of force. Needless to say, the jury said it was ok for man locked in a cell, by himself, unarmed, who was about 5'7 and 150 lbs to be beaten to death because he dared to curse at officers who were repeatedly beating his neighbor. The FLDOC agreed but had to fire those involved, not for the beating but rather, for the falsification of state documents.
And there lies the irony...

Go to Iraq, strip some prisoners naked, harass and humiliate them and go to prison yourself. Work for the FLDOC, beat a prisoner to death, lie and try to cover it up and go free. One of the men is now a Bradford County Sheriff's Deputy and two others went to Iraq, of all places, and are making over $400,000 as personal security guards. Go figure!!

A last correction is in paragraph seven of Part I. Maurice Green and the New Orleans incident are two separate events. I don't know the guy's name who was beaten by the New Orleans' police on national television but we all saw what happened.

Maurice Green was killed by police in the 90's. He was pulled over because he was a young black man driving a brand new Jaguar (which was his cousin's who was an NFL football player.) A struggle ensued and Green was choked to death. All police involved were white and cleared of any wrongdoing. Go figure!!

The last thing I want to address before I get into Part III, concerns my target audience. I am well aware that many who are reading me have a knowledge of the system and it's corruption. I have read your comments and stories and I am glad that you are speaking out, linking and otherwise aiding our campaign of awareness and movement for change. Please understand that my, our, main goal is not so much to comfort each other by joining together in common cause as it is to disturb the comfort zones of those who aren't "in the know" to the point of awareness that something, someone, must make a change as only positive change will better all of our lives.

We need to spread as much, if not more, of our time and effort focused on those who know nothing of "the system" in order to make them start asking questions, and more importantly, demand answers.

When politicians hear from families of convicted felons, their contempt of the criminal taints their discourse. They tell you a lot and do nothing. When those same politicians begin hearing from groups of citizens speaking not for their loved ones in prison but for their law abiding, tax paying loved ones who are being placed in potential jeopardy by "the system", they will have no choice but to listen or get voted out of office.
That is what I hope to be a part of. I want my words to go out to people who have no clue what's going on in "the system" and probably don't care. They don't care because they believe it's not their problem. I want to show them that it is; that what's done in here directly affects what we do out there once we're released. I want to show them that by fixing this world, they better their own.

To that end, I ask anyone who reads my words, to share them and your own, with as many people outside the box as possible. If we can get them to read, we can get them to think, if we get them to think, we just might get them to join...

That is the only way to successfully challenge and replace "the powers that be". We must begin a revolution of thought and action. We must take control of our own. We need to bring back the truth of the words "a government of the people, for the people, by the people (sic)..."

We must expose the truth and demand change. To do that, we have to send our words throughout the web and make those who never think of, nor care about what's really happening and it's consequences, see our words and the stories and statistics that back them up when they scoff. We make them think. Then we create a site for people to place their names and email addresses who support bringing honor, professionalism, justice and humanity to "the system".

When support grows, we send our demands to the politicians, judges, state's attorney's and attorney's general, police chiefs and DOC administration and tell them the status quo is no longer acceptable. We demand change or we demand their jobs. If we can put enough names on our site, the "you" as a voting block can and will get the attention of those in control. You can't get a change in policy or force a change on political ballots until you do.

But that is for the future. For now, let's take a further look at the FLDOC....

'Til Next Time ~
The Unforgiven

They dedicate their lives / To running all of his / He tries to please them all / This bitter man he is / Throughout his life the same / He's battled constantly / This fight he cannot win
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM
phenix_209

I think what you're doing is awesome! I, for one, will relay this messeage to everyone I know. I agree with you 100%. I did a term paper on this same idea for my Criminal Justice degree. I included views from all sides from experience. From the view of the inmate, the family and the legal system. It was titled "Rehabilitation vs. Recidivism" and was written to cover the reasons why the recidivism rate was so high is because the system does not rehabilitate. There is no such thing in the system as it is. Because the system does not go deep enough into the reasons for what put the person into the system to begin with. The root causes. And it does nothing to really keep the families intact. There are so many things going on wrong in the system as it is today. One is treating prisoners like numbers instead of people. Among many more. So, I will always be speaking out on behalf of prisoners.......our loved ones, friends and family, neighbors, even the stranger in the neighborhood. The system out here is just as bad. It takes alot to make a killer out of someone once a mother's loving son. It will take so much for society to see that we all must do our part to change things out here (and inside) towards fixing the things that change a little boy into a heartless killer. (Just one example) Keep up the good work....you are an excellent writer. One day...the still small voice will become the voice of reckoning!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

I'm glad to see Frank valdez's memory being kept alive. What a sick and chickenshit crime those cops committed against Valdez. I look forward to your posts. keep up the good work. Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Thought provoking, for people not involved in the system they have no idea why those of us who are feel the way we do.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Thank you for your words. Only recently did I realize how corrupt our judicial system is. Michael has been considered scum because he is a parolee. Every aspect of our lives have been affected. Now that he has been returned prison because of the actions of his ex wife...the harrassment and mistreatment he endures on a daily baisis is unbelievable. Most of us are raised to always abide by the laws and respect law enforcement. This nightmare has opened my eyes and those of my family and friends...to reveal an ugly side of the system that as you said...most of us never think about. The Ga. Dept. of Corr. holds each inmate accountable for every action they take, (whether it is getting a food tray on time, or having an extra pack of salt, heck even breathing) while the guards are free to antagonize, provoke, and harm them without fear of diciplinary action. Thankfuly Mike has not been harmed, but he has witnessed tradgedy. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Default why do tou say that u are un4given???????

Are u curently incarcerated? Have you been paroled??? I have to at leats respact somebody who is speaking so intelligently...... I would like to know your story........
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Doing) Time View Post
Before I get into the third part of this not so little endeavor, there are a couple of things I need to address:

First, I want to address my choice of "The Unforgiven" as a pseudonym. I have shown a few guys in here what I've been writing and a couple have asked about the perceived link to the prison "gang" of the same name. I have no connection with them other than to know a few of them and they, or their beliefs, have no bearing on my choice. The decision to use "The Unforgiven" was based solely on my identifying deeply with the song "Unforgiven" by Metallica. The power and emotion of the song resonate within me and it speaks quite well the thoughts and feelings my existence breeds. My love of the song came with it's debut well before the guys chose it as a group to represent their anger and hopelessness.

Secondly, I want to erase, after the fact, a word from Part I. Due to my having to use "snail mail" to send my writings, and again to receive a copy in return for my own reference, you see the post before I see what was posted. Unfortunately my ol' lady and I can't afford to discuss every detail over the phone. Anyway, my girl decided to get legally cautious on me and inserted the word "allegedly" into the 10th paragraph when I wrote of eight guards at Florida State Prison being free after beating Frank Valdez to death. I understand her caution but the truth need not be cautious.

There was no question that these guards beat Frank to death. There is no question that they lied and falsified documents to cover it up. The sole question put before their hometown jury (whose foreman was an ex-correctional officer) was whether it was murder or a justifiable use of force. Needless to say, the jury said it was ok for man locked in a cell, by himself, unarmed, who was about 5'7 and 150 lbs to be beaten to death because he dared to curse at officers who were repeatedly beating his neighbor. The FLDOC agreed but had to fire those involved, not for the beating but rather, for the falsification of state documents.
And there lies the irony...

Go to Iraq, strip some prisoners naked, harass and humiliate them and go to prison yourself. Work for the FLDOC, beat a prisoner to death, lie and try to cover it up and go free. One of the men is now a Bradford County Sheriff's Deputy and two others went to Iraq, of all places, and are making over $400,000 as personal security guards. Go figure!!

A last correction is in paragraph seven of Part I. Maurice Green and the New Orleans incident are two separate events. I don't know the guy's name who was beaten by the New Orleans' police on national television but we all saw what happened.

Maurice Green was killed by police in the 90's. He was pulled over because he was a young black man driving a brand new Jaguar (which was his cousin's who was an NFL football player.) A struggle ensued and Green was choked to death. All police involved were white and cleared of any wrongdoing. Go figure!!

The last thing I want to address before I get into Part III, concerns my target audience. I am well aware that many who are reading me have a knowledge of the system and it's corruption. I have read your comments and stories and I am glad that you are speaking out, linking and otherwise aiding our campaign of awareness and movement for change. Please understand that my, our, main goal is not so much to comfort each other by joining together in common cause as it is to disturb the comfort zones of those who aren't "in the know" to the point of awareness that something, someone, must make a change as only positive change will better all of our lives.

We need to spread as much, if not more, of our time and effort focused on those who know nothing of "the system" in order to make them start asking questions, and more importantly, demand answers.

When politicians hear from families of convicted felons, their contempt of the criminal taints their discourse. They tell you a lot and do nothing. When those same politicians begin hearing from groups of citizens speaking not for their loved ones in prison but for their law abiding, tax paying loved ones who are being placed in potential jeopardy by "the system", they will have no choice but to listen or get voted out of office.
That is what I hope to be a part of. I want my words to go out to people who have no clue what's going on in "the system" and probably don't care. They don't care because they believe it's not their problem. I want to show them that it is; that what's done in here directly affects what we do out there once we're released. I want to show them that by fixing this world, they better their own.

To that end, I ask anyone who reads my words, to share them and your own, with as many people outside the box as possible. If we can get them to read, we can get them to think, if we get them to think, we just might get them to join...

That is the only way to successfully challenge and replace "the powers that be". We must begin a revolution of thought and action. We must take control of our own. We need to bring back the truth of the words "a government of the people, for the people, by the people (sic)..."

We must expose the truth and demand change. To do that, we have to send our words throughout the web and make those who never think of, nor care about what's really happening and it's consequences, see our words and the stories and statistics that back them up when they scoff. We make them think. Then we create a site for people to place their names and email addresses who support bringing honor, professionalism, justice and humanity to "the system".

When support grows, we send our demands to the politicians, judges, state's attorney's and attorney's general, police chiefs and DOC administration and tell them the status quo is no longer acceptable. We demand change or we demand their jobs. If we can put enough names on our site, the "you" as a voting block can and will get the attention of those in control. You can't get a change in policy or force a change on political ballots until you do.

But that is for the future. For now, let's take a further look at the FLDOC....

'Til Next Time ~
The Unforgiven

They dedicate their lives / To running all of his / He tries to please them all / This bitter man he is / Throughout his life the same / He's battled constantly / This fight he cannot win
Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 PM

If you look back this was posted in 06 and his account is closed so I assume he is not still posting.
The Following User Says Thank You to tigrldy For This Useful Post:
Keltria (06-20-2009)