Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to SVSP Salinas Valley State Prison located in Soledad, California.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:55 AM

Default How do you get married while in a CA prison?

i just have a question for anyone who might be able to help me?.... my mans been locked for about a year now, and we want to get married...how exactly can we start that process?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2006, 01:22 AM

Hi,

Welcome to PTO! Congrats on the wedding plans. You will see that you will find lots of useful information here at PTO. What prison is your loved one at? That will help also for other members to tell you about their experiences.

Rebeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysoon18
i just have a question for anyone who might be able to help me?.... my mans been locked for about a year now, and we want to get married...how exactly can we start that process?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:23 PM

hes at salinas valley right now
Old 03-31-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Congrats happy!

well from a fellow bride to be.. congratulations.. altho the advice I am about to give you is for Ironwood... it maybe the same across the board... 1st and foremost a marriage packet must be obtained through the chaplain... only he can get this fill out his part and mail it to you... 2nd part you both need the CERTIFIED birth certificates... and then upon completion the packet can be mailed in and reviewed... if Salinas is anything like Ironwood... its can take up to 90 days till the ceremony is completed... good luck girlie.. let me know how things turn out!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM

I guess it is different at different prisons. I just got married.

First, he got the marriage packet which I believe came from his counselor. He fills his part out and mails it to me. I fill my part out and since we are both divorced, we needed to each send a copy of our final divorce paper with our application. Besides that, all I needed was a photocopy of my ID (needed to purchase the marriage license). We did not have to send our birth certificates.

From the time I mailed the papers (end of last year on the 30th) it took no more than 3 weeks to get a date. We actually requested Feb. instead of Jan. Where he is, it is fast. He needs to have money in his account for the marriage license. Why dont you post in the forum for the particular prison since it seems there is no one rule.

Congrats!!!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Got the packet finally

Hello happysoon18, my papa is at SVSP and after two months of getting no where from the counselor and the chaplin, I finally got them to get the packet to my baby. I actually spoke to chaplin Moon and from what he said your man has to request the packet from the marriage coordinator. Her name is spelled like Maria but it is pronounced differently. I don't have her ext. right here in front of me, sorry. I believe Mr. Moon is 8177 but I have to look in my daytimer (pm me tomorrow and I will get it for you). Just let them know your fiancee has been trying to request the marriange packet to no avail. They will just need his info (cdc # building and cell # too) And he fills out part A and some of part B then sends the rest to you to fill out. It has some questions you have to answer like do you know what he is in prison for, and how long will he be there. What are his charges... if you have any other questions pm me, I'm still trying to fill out some of these questions so as far as to how long it will take your guess is as good as mine. But I'm making progess with just getting the packet
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Groovin' for Life
Donation Award 

I got married at Salinas Valley as well and if you have a questions PM me and I would be glad to help. ONce you get the packet you will need to get a certified copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your ID notarized to send in along with the packet. They look it over and then call you up to set a date.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.