Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:56 PM

Question What does "Blind Plea" mean?

Hello... I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the term "BLIND PLEA" means? I have tried to find information about it, but have come up empty handed...

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Account Closed

LOL I've read this several times and until this last time, I thought you were saying "blind pea"----I didn't see the L in there.. But since I now see what it really says, if I were to venture a guess, I'd guess it means that a person would take a plea bargain not knowing what sentence they'd get but just knowing if you plead, you'll get a more lenient sentence, so they'd plead and hope for the best? I'll be interested to see if anyone has the real answer. Lots of times they offer a specific lower charge if a person will plead guilty and they get a lighter sentence. In a plea bargain called a "blind plea", then if I'm right, they're pleading guilty in hopes the mercy of the court will prevail and give them a lighter sentence, but they don't know it for sure.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:23 PM

lol, toi_ama.... thanks for that. You are so funny and I love reading your topics and replies!

I guess your reply does make sense in a way, but why would someone want to blind plea if they may be able to plead guilty and get a lighter sentence? Does the probation/registry process work the same for the person who enters a "blind plea"? I thought maybe that might be the reason someone would "blind plea," maybe to "throw themselves at the mercy of the court" to get a reduction on probation or something after being inside.... just a thought. Does "blind plea" mean they aren't saying they are guilty one way or the other or they just don't want to fight it anymore? Any insight would be appreciated...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Account Closed

Nolo Contendre, No Contest, Alford Plea.....
These are the terms for varieties of pleading to a charge with varying degrees of culpability. Alford plea is based on the concept that you are simply conceding that the state could indeed convict you,--without an admission of guilt on your part. Not all states accept Alford Pleas. (Alford V. North Carolina).
None of them are a blind sentencing thing, they are simply varieties of contested pleas.
I've no idea what a blind plea is,... Generally, a plea is a concession on both parts, you know what you are giving and what you are getting.
Toi Ama is probably on to something with it being sentencing related, but it would then have nothing to do with the particulars of pleading guilty versus not guilty.
Accepting a plea to a given charge (lesser included offense than that which was charged in indictment) with or without a sentencing recommendation certainly does happen in a plea. Those pleas are in writing, are accepted, and there isn't much blind about that part of it. Taking one without a sentencing recommendation is a risk, but you're working in a lower range if the lesser charge is what is plead to, so you're still ahead.
I have never heard it called a blind plea.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:07 PM

You are making a plea with a cap , you should get a sentence under the cap it saves time and money. They probably don't have all the info ,witness,rap sheets, warrents etc ... so you make a blind plea wich can change if you lie.