Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Jersey DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the New Jersey Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Exclamation mid-state correctional facility, nj

please, does anyone know anything about mid-state correctional, in nj. my son might be transferred there from bayside state prison. he needs to know, if it's a better facility! thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2006, 07:25 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

It is part of Fort Dix. It predominantly houses SO's and cops/CO's that have been convicted and sentenced to prison time. They make up 67% of that population. It is a clean facility and the area is beautiful.
You can call about the visits. They are extremely nice people down there--nicer than most of the prisons combined.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 AM

Default lyteeydlwyr

thank you, when you say so (sex offender?) would that be bad for my son, who certainly never had that problem. just stupid drug thing's and is way past all of that now. he's a good person

Last edited by momso; 03-03-2006 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: delete message
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

They house sex offenders, yes. He will be fine there. It is a relatively calm prison.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:01 AM

Default lyteeydlwyr

thank you, momso
Old 03-04-2006, 03:22 PM

Exclamation Mid-state Correctional Facility,nj

I've Asked If Anyone Had Info On Mid-state,nj. My Son Has The Chance To Be Transferred There, From Bayside State. I've Gotten One Positive Response. Anyone Else, Know Anything About This Place???
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 PM

Location: I'm in Ohio, USA and my fiance is incarcerated in New Jersey, USA

Hi!
My fiance is in Mid-State. He's been there for about 18 months now and he is not fascinated. They have 40 guys to one dorm, nobody really has any jobs there. So - you got 40 guys with nothing to do to occupy their time. They sleep pretty much through the day and at night, when the lights go out, they think it's party-time. Which makes it really hard for ppl like my fiance, who is one of the inmate paralegals and works all day, but then can't get sleep at night.
The administration and classification department aren't all what they're cracked up to be either. And it seems like certain things are handled differently, because the facility is right there by the military.
I don't know, how other prisons are, specifically the one your son is at now, and opinions will probably vary about Mid-State, but we don't have much good to say about it.

Good luck to you and your son!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 PM

Default bobs-kitty

thank you for your input. my son is at bayside, which is horrible. he does work everyday, though. it's very dirty there , a two hour drive and he's not afraid of the prisoner's, just the co's. they ride up and down the corrrider's on golf -carts', with thier baton's, waiting to beat the hell out of you. he was also trying to get closer to his son. it would be an hour to mid-state.. he also heard it was a dorm set-up and wasn't too keen on that. also heard there's a waiting list. so, if they don't have job's there, it's not for him. is there any exercise equipment?? any program's to enroll in? if not, it's a waste of time , for him. at least he makes a little bit of money and goes to a couple of counseling programs. wouldn't wnat him to just sit there and do nothing. thank's for answering, momso
Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 PM

Default lyteeydlwyr

momso again, received another reply and it's pretty much what my son had heard. mid-state is all dorm's and there's nothing to do all day. right now , he work's everyday (makes a LITTLE $) and is enrolled in a few program's. he doesn't want to be housed with a bunch of guy's and be idle. the main reason he wants to be transferred is because "bayside state" is filthey and the co's are tough. they ride around in gold carts, on his unit , with baton's, ready to beat you, if they want. it is 2 hour's away and mid-state would be just about one hour. he also hear's that their is a waiting list there. how about east state (Rahway), or riverfront in Camden? Any info? southwood's is another option, but just as far. he's told it is much nicer than bayside, though. that's all for now, momso
Old 03-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Account Closed

I don't know much about Mid State but I do know that anything has to be better than Bayside! Just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:52 PM

My brother was there a few years back while waiting for the Federal camp to open up. He was bored. Didn't work. But didn't have any problems with anyone. Visits were ok.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:29 PM

Hi Momso! They do have programs to enroll in and I'm not exactly sure what those are right now, but I can find out if you like.
It is relatively clean there and aside from some real bad cops, for the most part they are not too bad there.
I'm not sure what they have on exercise equipment either. They have gym and/or yard time daily, but I can find that out for you too.
Like I said before, one of the very biggest problems there is, you can never ever find a peaceful minute ever. Somebody or another will always be blasting the radio (mostly rap) and there is pretty much a constant noiselevel in there, except for rare hours.
That's about as best as I can tell you right now. If you need to know anything else, I will be happy to try to find out for you!
(P.S. Camden I heard is a very dangerous place, where you probably don't necessarily want to visit....but that's just what I heard)
Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momso
momso again, received another reply and it's pretty much what my son had heard. mid-state is all dorm's and there's nothing to do all day. right now , he work's everyday (makes a LITTLE $) and is enrolled in a few program's. he doesn't want to be housed with a bunch of guy's and be idle. the main reason he wants to be transferred is because "bayside state" is filthey and the co's are tough. they ride around in gold carts, on his unit , with baton's, ready to beat you, if they want. it is 2 hour's away and mid-state would be just about one hour. he also hear's that their is a waiting list there. how about east state (Rahway), or riverfront in Camden? Any info? southwood's is another option, but just as far. he's told it is much nicer than bayside, though. that's all for now, momso
There is a huge waiting list for Rahway and Riverfront. Rahway might not take him if he is serving less than 5 years. Generally they only accept people with more than 5 years. Rahway is a very tough prison. It is drug infested at this point. If this is his first bid, they won't send him there either.
Riverfront has serious drug problems too. The guards are dirty and there are alot of issues that they are trying to deal with. In the past few months they have locked up over 100 civilians for bringing in drugs. Southwoods is racist--that's just from my dealings with them. I'm not sure how it is on the inside as my husband only lasted a few minutes there before they threw him out.
How old is he? If he is under 26 he could go to Yardville.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's_Kitty
Hi Momso! They do have programs to enroll in and I'm not exactly sure what those are right now, but I can find out if you like.
It is relatively clean there and aside from some real bad cops, for the most part they are not too bad there.
I'm not sure what they have on exercise equipment either. They have gym and/or yard time daily, but I can find that out for you too.
Like I said before, one of the very biggest problems there is, you can never ever find a peaceful minute ever. Somebody or another will always be blasting the radio (mostly rap) and there is pretty much a constant noiselevel in there, except for rare hours.
That's about as best as I can tell you right now. If you need to know anything else, I will be happy to try to find out for you!
(P.S. Camden I heard is a very dangerous place, where you probably don't necessarily want to visit....but that's just what I heard)
Camden is not dangerous. The prison is on the Waterfront next to the baseball field and the aquarium. Rutgers law school is there too. The area is very nice and it's safe. My husband spent two years there and was recently there before he transferred up north. Riverfront is actually a nice prison, but filled with drugs and dirty CO's. Every prison has those issues--some worse than others.
Bayside guards have been like that since an inmate killed a CO a few years ago. They aren't as easy going as they used to be due to that and the riots that were there.
Midstate--that's where all of NJ's dirty cops and CO's are housed. That could be why the CO's there are so threatening. They also house the overflow of Avenel's inmates.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:32 AM

he's 31, too old for yardsville. thanks for input on rahway and camdem. i didn't want him to go to either of those places, i've heard the same. as far as racist, my son is white. the co's at bayside are white and they still call him "boy," and act very racist, even to white folks. they are a whole different breed down there. hopefully he will be serving less than five. he's up for parole in dec, 06. that doesn't mean that he'll get out, but so far he hasn't gotten into any trouble and work's a lot of hour's, so i'm hoping for the best. he was in norhtern state, before this place and it was all gang's and the waiting for visit's, was hour's, with fighting going on, in the visiting lines. never again! i guess we're out of options. if you know of anything else let me know. thank you very much, momso
Old 03-06-2006, 08:46 AM

Default lyteeydlwyr

you may have already received my reply. i still can't figure out how to use this prison talk. i told you in my first reply that i didn't want him to go to camdem or rahway. i've heard the same that you said. he's up for parole hearing in dec '06. i know that doesn't mean he'll be released then, but am hoping for the best. he's 31-too old for yardville. bayside is very racist also, to white folk's. my son is white and they call him "boy," and will humiliate him and other white's whenever they feel like it. they are a different breed of people down there. on major power trip's and tough. He was in northern state, before this, much closer to home, but it is all gang's. the waiting lines went on for hour's and there were fight's in the waiting lines. now way would i ever bring his son there, to visit again! so, did you agree with the info i was sent on mid-state? otherwise, i guess we are out of option's. thank's again, momso
Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momso
he's 31, too old for yardsville. thanks for input on rahway and camdem. i didn't want him to go to either of those places, i've heard the same. as far as racist, my son is white. the co's at bayside are white and they still call him "boy," and act very racist, even to white folks. they are a whole different breed down there. hopefully he will be serving less than five. he's up for parole in dec, 06. that doesn't mean that he'll get out, but so far he hasn't gotten into any trouble and work's a lot of hour's, so i'm hoping for the best. he was in norhtern state, before this place and it was all gang's and the waiting for visit's, was hour's, with fighting going on, in the visiting lines. never again! i guess we're out of options. if you know of anything else let me know. thank you very much, momso
Northern state is a nightmare. We were there for a year and a half before they sent him to Tully House. The women fought over such petty nonsense and it used to get me mad. Everyone is there for the same reason--to visit. If i am there first, then I am first in line. They fought over who was ahead of who when waiting to get in. I was glad that they didn't send him to NSP this time--it is worse now than it was then.
I am white and mu husband is Puerto Rican. Between Bayside, Southwoods and Southern State, I think I got called a race trader more times than I care to remember. It was terrible. It amazes me that we tolerate that nonsense in this day and age.
Out of all the places we spoke about, Riverfront is probably the best. No matter where he goes, there are gangs and drugs.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM

Default lyteeydlwyr

you mentioned tully house. i thought that was just for women. also, i hate to keep bothering you, but is it true that mid-state is just dorms's, with no work program's? thank's momso
Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Tully House and Tully House II house men. I haven't seen any women there. Mid-State is dorms because it is part of the army base at Fort Dix. It was used to house the army. The army contracted out a part of the base to the State to house inmates.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:06 PM

Like I said, I really don't know anything about Camden, that's just what I heard.
I heard too, that the Bayside CO's are like that, because of that killing.
From what I understand, let Mid-State be what it is, but it is definetely safer than Bayside.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:15 PM

Hi Momso! As I am reading along on all the posts you have gotten so far, I suppose MId-State isn't all that bad after all. Like I told you before, one of the biggest problems there is the lack of job-programs. They do have exercise equipment in the gym and yard and he can go twice a day, if he wants. They also have certain educational programs and stuff like AA, Toastmasters, and other supportgroups.
Visitation (at least every time I go) is always peaceful. The inmates are well behaved and I never had any trouble with other visitors either. Not about race issues or anything. So - maybe Mid-State is something to think about after all.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Bob's_kitty

thank's for mid-state info. just concerned about the dorm thing. someone, not sure if it was you, said that since they live in dorm's, with other guy's, there is constant loud music and it drives her husband crazy-no peace and quiet inside. my son say's it's bad enough dealing with one other bunkie, who drives you crazy! oh well, thank's again, momso
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Hey momso!
I hope you and your son will figure out what to do! Whatever it is - good luck to both of you!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:33 PM
JS WIFE 4-LIFE

Default Husband Just Got Transfered To Mid-state

My Husband Just Got Transfered To Mid-state What Is The Visitation Like? I Live In Virginia And Don't Know Nothing About New Jersey. If Anyone Could Help I Would Appreciate It.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:17 PM

I will try to find out for you this weekend .....................I dont know anything about Mid State . I will ask around .............Sorry