Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Medications in Prison....

I have a question regarding peoples experience in getting prescription medications once they are in prison. I know that you are supposedley allowed to bring empty prescription bottles to give to the intake doctor.

What are your personal experiences with this? Have you or your loved one been able to get the same or comparable prescriptions once inside? Or do they decide themselves whether or not you need the drugs? Also how are the drugs administered? Do you go and pick them up everyday or do they give you a bunch at one time? I am looking in particular at minor pain medication; nothing narcotic, and also allergy meds. I do not know exactly where I am going yet, but more than likely a fed camp.

Just wanted to get some recent input on this from those who may have some positive or negative experiences. Many thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2006, 09:32 AM

At the camp I was at, the clinic had a "pill line" three times a day where they dispensed controlled medications through a window with an officer actually watching the inmate swallow the pill. Other medications were dispensed weekly and kept in your locker.

The BOP buys mostly generic medications in bulk and will try to substitute accordingly. I suggest you take a letter from your Physician as well as copies of your medical records in addition to the empty bottles.

Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics

Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm a diabetic who takes insulin daily, any idea how that whole system works? Its one of my concerns if I end up convicted and going to prison.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 PM

I do recall there were several diabetics at the camp I was at but I don't know the specifics.

Why don't you start a new thread with diabetic care in the headline?

Someone here will have answers for you but be patient. On the weekends many people are visiting their loved ones so there is less activity on
the forum.

Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics

Old 03-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Registered

BOP MEDS:

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. And probably like so many other areas one on which I definately have an opinion . That said, I will try and relate what I know on the subject and ask if you will please excuse me if I interject some personal opinion along the way.

In general the BOP will endeavor to provide the most "cost effective" medical care available to them. What this means in plain English is when dispensing medications, BOP will use generic equivalents whenever and wherever possible. For the most part this will not be a problem for most medical conditions; however, if a person has a specific medical condition that requires certain level of medication to be available in the system at all times... this is were a potential problem may arise. In instances like this a "Name Brand" medication should never be substituted with a generic. (If you want more information on this topic... PM me).

As to the original question, I can tell you when it comes to pain medications the BOP is a big fan of Tylenol and Motrin. Anything stronger and you will have some stiff objections. As to allergy medications, these also seem to be highly protected and rarely dispensed. As to how you get your medications, much will depend on your security level and te type of medication. In the camps for instance, medications such as cholesterol medications and antihypertensives (blood pressure) can be issued in 30 day supplies; however, antidepressants, psych, and sleep aides may require daily distribution via a "pill line" at medical. Most facilities appear to have "pill lines" a couple of times a day. Insulin requireing Diabetics will have a similar proceedure as the "pill line" for a couple of reasons. the first is security, BOP will not want needles, syringes, and/or lancets roaming unattended with in the walls. The next reason is storage issues. Insulin will need to be refrig. and there for not possible within the general population.

Dispite BOP's best efforts, there are still those who continue to violate the rules and manage to smuggle certain meds that appear to be used recreationally. I know right now at BRYAN FPC there seems to be an over abundance of abuse with a little blue pill the inmates refer to as "smurffs". I do not know what exactly the actual name of this medication is or what it is used for, but many of the women there say if you take several it's like getting drunk. But I am getting off the subject.

If you have specific medical needs and or a condition that requires Brand Name medications or specific medical treatment. i encourage everyone to get their treating physician to provide specifics in your PSR and/or provide a detailed plan of care that you should take with you to surrender and have mailed to the facility prior to your arrival.

As I have said in the past... basic medical care for existing conditons that are well documented is doable within the walls. I also encourage each person going in to become well versed in their paticular medical conditions so you can be an active participant in your care. Do not leave your chronic care to the BOP. Educate yourself so you can be a proactive participant instead of a reactive victim.

Keep the Faith

Michael

"You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow"
Old 03-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

At most the places I spent time there was a special diabetic pill line several times a day. Dont have to worry about missing pill line, if you dont show up they will look for you! As for allergy and minor pain meds, they will tell you to buy them at commisary if you make it sound not so serious, otherwise as said, it will probably be ibuprofen.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Blue pill sounds like Xanax.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

In the real world I would suspect Xanax as well but these seem to be given out in mass quantities. Xanax, I suspect would be one of those semiBOPcontrolled "pill line" meds issued 1 at a time. I actually suspect it to be Donatol or similar med.

Keep the Faith

Michael

"You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow"