Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Unit Specific Forums > Skyview Prison Unit
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Donation Award 

Default Skyview Psychiatric Prison Unit-Texas-Region ll-Discussion/Chat-Thread

Skyview Psychiatric Unit is in Rusk,Tx. Do you have a loved one here? If so tell us about it. This is your place to discuss or chat with others who visit or have been at this prison.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Hi I just found out that my son was transferred to Skyview. Can you give me any information about that place? Thanks so much,
Brenda
Old 08-05-2006, 11:30 PM

Responded in your other thread...just a couple of thoughts on it. If you have any specific things you would like to know...feel free to ask. I will try and help all I can.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM

I just found out me brother is in Skyview, can anyone share any information with me about this place?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Son to Afghanistan 11/11

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,288 Posts

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/sv.htm

As far as other info EmilyAnn.. I don't know first hand but will look around and see what I can find.

Tracy

Formerly Known as Joshiesmom
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Old thread but... I spent 3 months at Skyview after threatening suicide at Gurney unit. Basically they'll throw you butt naked in a room for surveillance for about a week. Generally you won't get admitted into Skyview - they'll usually just ship you back to your original unit (or to a new assigned unit if you came from a transfer facility). They call it 'crisis management'.

If you are actually admitted into one of the Skyview buildings, it's actually quite nice. I spent 3 months in their "mood disorder" program (it's only supposed to be a month) but it was the 3 "most pleasant" months I spent in TDCJ. AC, dorm environment, daily group counseling, nurse on-call, cool COs, etc. Most of the folks there are genuinely intelligent with just some mental issues (major depression, bipolar, etc) that led them astray...

Uhm, now what I would be worried about is WHY someone got sent to Skyview... Especially if you're not already aware of any previous mental issues.

Last edited by drallac; 05-06-2008 at 09:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drallac For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (05-01-2013), RobinsMan (05-07-2008)
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Donation Award 

My son is disabled from a near fatal car accident that happened several years before he was incarcerated. He has a traumatic brain injury that resulted in a lot of mental, emotional and cognitive problems, thus resulting in bad judgment, thus resulting in incarceration. He has been at Skyview now for 2 years. (By the way, he is going to be released next week - getting closer to home!!!!)

At the original unit he was assigned to, he had a nervous breakdown so they shipped him to Skyview. His counselor told me that they would just keep him there for the duration because he is a small frame young man who is very vulnerable emotionally and easy manipulated and would not survive in a regular unit.

On our visits, the staff is very nice and helpful. We have to drive 5 hours from Oklahoma. One time the visiting room was overcrowded and there was a 2 or 3 hour wait. Since my father-in-law was dying of cancer back in OK, we told them we had to get back soon and with the driving time-frame, we didn't think we could stay. The officer arranged that we meet with my son in another area totally private by ourselves. My son is involved with group therapy, counseling, and spiritual help. He has been attacked once or twice by other offenders but it was handled immediately and he was moved to a different dorm. The officers there are trained to deal with people with mental disabilities and seem to be a little more tolerant. Over all, even though I would never wish prison on my son at all, he has been fortunate to be at Skyview, especially considering all his medical needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to beegee For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (05-01-2013)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Son to Afghanistan 11/11

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,288 Posts

It is good to hear that they are taking care of your son as best they can, beegee. I know that eases your mind just a bit. It is nice to hear stories where people in charge of our loved ones try to do a good job.

Tracy

Formerly Known as Joshiesmom
Old 11-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Me too

MY SON WAS JUST TRANSFERRED LASTNIGHT! i wasnt notified went to visit and he wasnt there I AM ALSO CONCERNED HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING NEW !ST TIME USER HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 07:38 PM

Curious too ease my mind if you can !!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,964 Posts

I'm sorry no one answered your post. I he wasn't there when you went to visit then maybe he was only there as a stop while being trans[prted somewhere else. Hopefille he has settled into a permanent unit by now.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Exclamation Need transition resources, please help

My father is at Skyview and is due to be released in March 2010. While we are excited, we are also unsure of how he will cope with having to be self reliant. He is a senior citizen and has deteriorated mentally since being incarcerated.
I have not been able to find any resources to help him with the transition. I know that other states have programs which aid the process, but I haven't been able to find any in Texas.
Does anyone know of any programs or resources that can help us with his reentry?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Unhappy slacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent's Mom View Post
Skyview Psychiatric Unit is in Rusk,Tx. Do you have a loved one here? If so tell us about it. This is your place to discuss or chat with others who visit or have been at this prison.
i went today to see my daughter at lane murry unit and was told she was at skyview to be evaluated. last month she tried suicide and was in the hospital for a few days in temple. she was moved from hilltop to lane murry. why is it when somthing like this happens the family is the last to know. i saw her the 26 th of december and have not heard from her since so i don't know exactly what happened or when. i called and got the number to contact someone on monday. is the horror stories about throwing them in a hole real.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Default slacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by p23 View Post
MY SON WAS JUST TRANSFERRED LASTNIGHT! i wasnt notified went to visit and he wasnt there I AM ALSO CONCERNED HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING NEW !ST TIME USER HELP!!!!!!!!
my daughter went recently also will let you know when i find out something myself.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Question slacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drallac View Post
Old thread but... I spent 3 months at Skyview after threatening suicide at Gurney unit. Basically they'll throw you butt naked in a room for surveillance for about a week. Generally you won't get admitted into Skyview - they'll usually just ship you back to your original unit (or to a new assigned unit if you came from a transfer facility). They call it 'crisis management'.

If you are actually admitted into one of the Skyview buildings, it's actually quite nice. I spent 3 months in their "mood disorder" program (it's only supposed to be a month) but it was the 3 "most pleasant" months I spent in TDCJ. AC, dorm environment, daily group counseling, nurse on-call, cool COs, etc. Most of the folks there are genuinely intelligent with just some mental issues (major depression, bipolar, etc) that led them astray...

Uhm, now what I would be worried about is WHY someone got sent to Skyview... Especially if you're not already aware of any previous mental issues.
well if you tried suicide twice are you usually kept there awhile?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Help for My Father

Hello, my father is at the Skyview unit per the TDCJ website offender search. He just got moved there sometime this week. I visited him last Saturday in the Michael Unit in Tennessee Colony. He looked bad when I last visited him. He is bipolar and they have changed his meds and he is not coping well with that. Problem is when I called down there to the Skyview unit they said they could not tell me anything about him until he signed some medical release forms. I asked them to let him know that he could sign those and then I would know his status. I called twice and they told me the prison would call me to let me know his status once he signed the papers. Is this typical? They also told me that I can not visit him for at least 14 days. Is this also typical? He has been in prison since November of 2009. Is there any way I can find out something? Maybe talk to a chaplin or is there a main # in Huntsville maybe? Any info would help. I am his only child and my mother is deceased. I am the only one that visits him. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!! I also have wrote him two letters through the e-messaging system on the JPay site. He has not written me yet. Do they keep mail from them wihen they first get admitted to Skyview?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slactivty View Post

well if you tried suicide twice are you usually kept there awhile?
sorry, havent visited here in a long time.

i guess it depends on if they think this suicide attempt is "real" or not. many "offenders" will fake suicide attempts or write to a counselor that they are considering suicide, just to get transferred to one of these units for various reasons. sometimes because they caught a major case, and if you somehow manage to stay at a place like skyview for a month, then they can't try you on that case. some other times because they might need to get off unit for safety reasons and cant think of any other options.

if the psychs at skyview think you're suicidal, then they'll keep you there indefinitely. but for many it will be rather unpleasant, since they don't have many spaces in general pop. i was in general pop at skyview for about 3mo, and to be perfectly honest, sometimes i miss it. but, no, i wouldn't want to go back. haha.

the deal w/ skyview is, anyone that is newly brought in will be put in "crisis management" , which is some bit grueling. i was in a cell w/ nothing but a blanket for about 6 days before i was admitted into the "mood disorder" program (which is a 1mo program, but they sometimes keep ppl longer, or admit them as "chronic").

most ppl won't like their stay at skyview. but if they make it into GP, it's one of the best units to be at.

ed: you don't get mail or anything like that while you're in "crisis management" , this can be anywhere from days to weeks.

Last edited by drallac; 03-22-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Old 05-11-2010, 05:55 PM

My son was transferred from Gurney to Skyview over the weekend. I don't know any details yet, but have been told that he's ok...which I hope is true. Does anyone know how long they usually stay at Skyview? Any other information that may be useful? I hope he gets the help he needs. Being mentally ill and in custody of the criminal justice system is a scary place to be.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Unhappy Skyview Unit

Ladies and gentlemen who ever is on this forum I need your help. My son who name is Cedric D Lewis #643117 is being physical abused at this Skyview Unit. These employees are keeping him lock down in a one cell. He get out for a day be put back in this same cell with 2 -3 days stay over 15 days that has been going on since September , October and now it is November 2010. This Warden Tommie Haynes has allowed all his good time to be taken and I just learned the Regional Director was suppose to approve this. This been ongoing since September 2010.

My son had gotten out of prison back in December 2004 but was put back in prison since he left the State of Texas on a bus ride to PA. Now he did not know a soul there.

My son is a chronic schizophrenia with paranoid delusional, positive for auditory and visual hallucination. He has diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, fatty liver disease, neuropathy feet and hands, chronic back problems and deaf in left ear but losing hearing on right side.
These guards are taking him for their scape goat. This is the same way these guards did him before, he did 12 years from 1992. He has done already about 18 years on a 25 years sentence and he is a non aggravated case.

He is there for auto theft and joy riding. This was a plea deal given to him after he had a competency hearing declaring him unable to stand a jury trial and Harris County Asst DA along with the court appointed attorney allowed this.

What I need is for information due to this Warden Tommie Haynes came from Jester IV and they sent him due to him allowing certain inmates to leave the unit in 2010 and the News Media got informed and he was replace and sent to Skyview. See, this man is no good he has been with TDCJ over 25 years and will cover up many wrong doing for his corrupt employees.

Next, these two medical people are William MCDonald Hardy Jr. should never had been given a licensed due to his background of a conviction when he applied since it was after 1996 past. Mary Wells Locke NPA is also just as corrupt she tried to tell the mangement care that my son did not have these medical condition when he has been hospitalized and it is medical records and Medicaid paid the bills. Better than I have these medical records as well.

Both of these two suppose to be supervised by two Physicians name Brad Brazeal and Vernon Charles Johnson who works out of Palestine Hospital in Palestine, Texas.

Texas has been sue by the federal government due to the abuse in Texas State Hospital for the Mental Challenge this year. I know why they are doing him like this because I made complaints. See, I requested for him to be moved closer to my home due to my medical hardship and sent my letter to them from my physician. It was told to me he had to be free of any disciplinary case. That is all they are giving him on a daily basis.
I need eyes and ears to help me. Then I wrote to the Texas Criminal Justice Committee and all they do is send my letter to a Senator who care less but want people votes to stay in office. This is the type we have in my part of this city I live one who does not represent but his family friends and they friends.

Please help me circulate and ask your love ones to help him if they can. Please help me to stop this abuse of my son. These inmates can talk to him, pass the word to stop allowing the Warden or staff having them saying he is causing them problems. I was told they are using different inmates to complain about him as if he is bothering them once he comes out of this cell and then they put him back in. Every one who works there are not agreeable with this action that this arrogance Warden want them to do. Write me back at my e-mail you can if you can help me any suggest is welcome.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this or if I even want.to put this out there but I need help. My bf is at this unit for attempting to commit suicide. According to the info I received he is having problems on his unit and feels all of our lives are in danger. He felt the only way to get rid of the problem and save us all would be to end his life. I know once Skyview decides whether or not to keep him if they decide not to he will be sent right back to his unit. My question is how can I get him reassigned? Will they even consider sending him somewhere else?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 AM

I've got a very close pen pal who is now in this unit or dorm of 5 people he seams to be OK in there no troubles so far as i ask him to give me as much detail about it as he can until i found this forum yestoday its always handy and nice to hear from others to