Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Connecticut DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM

Lightbulb Comissary List for YCI and what to have when going in!

i just talked to the commissary & the assistant warder at YCI (niantic CT) today, I go in April 13th for 6-12 months depending upon early release... this is my 2nd bid - and I am going in prepared to buy all my necessary supplies right away...

for the basics - here are some prices

All These Prices Are Rounded UP to the next full dollar - you must add tax to all electronic devices and sneakers or boots costing over 50 dollars.

BW TV - 120
Color TV - 155
Cassette Radio - 38
Adapter to plug your cassette radio in, don't have to use batteries 6
Regular Radio /needs batteries continually 22 plus 2.5 a week for batteries
Sweats 12
SweatShirts 12
locks 6
headphones (the decent ones - 25) the cheap ones 3 bucks but they break in a week
colored pencils cheap ones (2.16) decent ones (9)
sneakers (minimum 45 bucks to 70 bucks)
tv antenna's 10 bucks

if you are gonna be there for awhile... you need a tv (black&white has better reception then color)... a cassette radio & adapter.. sweats/shirts/shorts, socks,
towel, envelopes, paper, pen/pencil.

In the beginning they give you shampoo/soap, toilet paper... but later on you got to buy everything yourself... you can spend 50 dollars for commissary per week for food or toiletries...

electronics, sneakers, clothes (that doesn't have an amount - unlimited)... you can buy a gameboy for 165 but the games are 50 (and you need batteries continually)

you must buy a lock or two, or you won't have anything when you come back from chow... everybody will steal whatever isn't nailed down.

That's the basics... to go into to prison knowing your sentence is longer then 6 months you should bring with you 300 dollars... no less. then you need at least 30 bucks a week to buy commissary... the jobs don't pay even a dollar a day. I would never work in prison... it's insanity...

go to groups, learn to play cards (oh buy a deck of cards 2.5)... enjoy reading they have great libraries. write poetry, or short stories, color or draw pictures... watch tv, listen to your music, STAY OUT OF TROUBLE, DONT TALK BACK, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS TO YOU... IGNORE OTHER INMATES.. THEY AREN'T ANY BETTER THEN YOU...

WHEN YOU GO TO PRISON, YOU GO IN ALONE, AND COME OUT ALONE... SO THE ONLY PERSON THAT SHOULD MATTER TO YOU IN THAT PRISON IS YOU.

I can get more info, if anyone wants it... but I go away April 13, 2006 so you better ask now, before it's too late for me to help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to LynnFromCT For This Useful Post:
Married32years (08-31-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 PM

wow... i am sorry to hear that you have to go... hopefully you will be out soon....
i do have a question though, what exactly is an informal ticket/writeup...
my b/f is at Enfield and him and all his bunkmates dont sleep at 11 (lights out) and bs and laugh all night and i guess the CO's have had enough and gave them all informal's... and they are on bed arrest for 7 days and have to do like 10 hours of community service (inside the jail)
does this have any impact on him???
according to him he can get 100 of these and be ok... somehow i doubt that...
any insight would be great..
good luck!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:40 PM

Missie
Have your man double check I'm not sure but I think a ticket is a ticket is a ticket and they take away contact visits if you get a ticket but I might be wrong. There might be different kinds of tickets.
Loving my papi chulo club #69
Old 03-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Banned

Default Informals

It's not a real ticket, but if you keep getting them it can be bumped up to a class C ticket.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 AM

I remember my man saying something like....'most of the time, one cant bit the ticket so they will loose their priviledges'...its like bin in population, u stl have ur luxuries,ie walkman....all u loose out is ur ie visitation, phonecalls, and u dnt eat with pouplation....
I dnt know...
Connected to Islam Community Member
Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 AM

Thanks Lynn, does anyone know how much I will need at Coleman Camp for 5 months it's located in Florida and is a Federal Facility. I don't think you can have a TV there but could be wrong. I have never had the expereince of being a "guest" of the government before. I have little time to get it together as well. I S/S on April 7th. I am relly getting nervous and scared even though I have had the good luck to find this site and all of the wonderful information it holds. Thank God for PTO! I can't seem to find a lot of people who have been to Coleman Camp recentely. If you are out there PM me or any response would be great.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

Getting to not eat with the population is almost a good thing. They don't take away your visits for all tickets. It's sort of like a barter system. If you get caught, they offer certain things like say no rec for 10 days. It's when you fight tickets and lose, or get a really serious ticket like a class A ticket that you could wind up in the hole or losing all your visits for like 15 days.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Default going back into the system - here is updated prices for commissary

I called and talked to commissary today, and for a new digital tv its 225, and the cd players cost 40. basically everything went up a buck.

i am going in on sept 4 for 4-6 months... and this time I am bringing with me 500 dollars... to buy everything upfront... 2 locks, hair dryer, tv, cd player, batteries, razor, sweats, sports bras, fan, waterproof watch - buying the essentials upfront - so then i have money for commissary.

remember nobody cares about you in there but you, if you don't lock up your stuff you won't have it... they will steal anything and everything that is not locked down.

you can spend 50 dollars on regular commissary items per week. the other stuff electronic and clothes you can spend as much as you have - but they tax anything over 50 dollars.

now they let you keep your sneakers if they are all black or all white. If you go in with grey sweats & a grey sweatshirt you can keep that, and if you wear a sports bra they let you keep that.

so your best best is where black or white sneakers, full grey sweat-suit with a sports bra - and you will have (that one extra set of clothes - right from the getgo) - which is pretty good considering they aren't all that generous with what they give you to wear.

anyone wants to write to me: you have a choice - snail mail is

linda ottanio-king
201 Main St
Niantic CT 06357

or email me at LynnFromCT@voiceforinmates.com
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Donation Award 

LynnFromCT,

Thanks for the update on the comissary items.

Stay strong in there! I hope you have a support system in place.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Donation Award 

Take care of yourself and I hope the time flies by for you.