Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-02-2003, 02:55 AM

Default what kind of jobs can ex cons get?

what jobs can an ex con get with out too much hassle?
or if he is released for halfhouse is it hard to find a job to hire an ex con?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 AM

moving companies seem to not do a background check. my exbf got a job at a moving company hauling furniture. also some factory jobs hire ex-cons because they get a big tax break. if he is in a halfway house....he at least has an address. he doesn't have to say what kind of place it is. parole officer may have to approve his job or make sure he is working. it all depends on the PO. in Chicago they have social services that work with ex-cons to help them find a job...maybe there is something in your area. take care. and good luck.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Account Closed

It all depends on the employer, I think. Here in Oregon, there's a restaurant owner who intentionally hires people who just got out of prison, bless him. I don't think it's a matter of not doing background checks, because those are generally done, but it's more a matter of the discretion of the person doing the hiring whether they're willing to take a chance on someone who just got out of prison. I also think it probably has a lot to do with the type of job applied for, the type of crimes in the criminal history and the record of past performance on jobs they may have had in the past. Although it's hard for a person to get a job when they've been in prison, and although they often have to take menial jobs, if they show themselves to be good workers and trustworthy in that first job, the chance of getting better jobs increases dramatically.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Account Closed

there is some help out there, call the outreaches in your area. lot's of excons have their own shops and hire only excons. you can even find them in the yellow pages!!! most of it is word of mouth but once you get on the list the rest falls into place. expect the worst and you shouldn't get too frustrated in the quest for a job.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Account Closed

Expect the worst and be patient, but don't forget to put your best effort into it. If you get an interview, don't get your hopes up too high, but don't let yourself show any pessimism about your chances, either.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,099 Times in 217 Posts

I believe that most halfway houses help you find a job, at least the ones I know of in S. Cal do. Barb

Old 07-08-2003, 09:03 AM

It isnt easy I asve ben out for awile now and I still havent found anythig. just keep looking thats all we can do. good luck. BIG O_1
Old 07-13-2003, 01:46 PM

Do places like McDonald's hire ex offenders? I'm worried about that too. I do understand that you can work at the post office.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM

We help Ex-Offenders and others start their own businesses in Digital Billboard Advertisment and Website Design here at Business In The Black.

We own 2 compaines that could care less about your past since you work for yourself and answer to only yourself.

Our first business is A to Z Mini Billboards, a business designed to help you start your own digital signage business and you can make up to $15,000 per digital sign system you install.

Our second business is selling websites for Business In The Black as a reseller. We do all the website design work but you sell the packages making commission from each sale.

Contact me for more information, I am the CEO and founder of BIB and AtoZ.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,488 Posts

General Relief has different programs/work opportunities for ex-offenders....Of course you'll have to apply for GR and then participate in the Grow program.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Default Prisoner Re-entry program

My ministry work with inmates 3- 6 months before they get out of prison. During that time we prepare them for the change that is waiting for them on the outside. In addition they are transformed from the illegal hussler to the successful legal hussler. We have helped wives, husbands and ex-offenders to become successful in their very own businesses. We assist in them getting healthcare insurance, financial assistance,food, shelter, clothes, business start-ups, etc. We also have a Life Coach, Health & Wellness Consultant available on staff. We do all of this at no cost to the ex-offender or their families.

Who said they can't have their own business? Most of them are sooooo intelligent (many may not have formal education and that is ok!) that they just need to learn how to play the game and make the game work for them, for their good and for the good of their families without relapsing to old ways of thinking and old behaviors.

If anyone want more information on our Prisoner Re-entry program please feel free to pm me.