Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal Prison Info & Self Surrendering Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Info available for FPC Phoenix (female federal prison camp)

I was recently released from FPC Phoenix. Before I surrendered I tried in vain to find info on this institution. Now that I'm out, I want to make myself available to answer any questions anyone might have concerning federal prison camps for females, specifically Phoenix.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Lost_in_Ga

Welcome home ! Thank you for coming back to share with the rest of us
Old 02-12-2006, 05:51 AM
ex-inmate

I just want to say I think it's really cool to see another "ex" here who's willing to spend time helping out others in bad straits. I've been offering similar help on FCI Elkton to any who ask. Weirdly, a couple times people say "I need info," and I send a PM to offer to discuss it, and then they go away. What's the point of asking if they don't want the answer? Oh well.

I saw your other post on overly supervised release. Unfortunately, I don't have any concrete suggestios; my employer knows my situation, and just doesn't care.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Thank you for offering information on FPC Phoenix. My mom was sentenced on 7/13 and the judge recommended the least restrictive facility in Arizona. Am I correct that this would be the facility recommended? How long does it take to get a designation? What is this camp like? She likes to read, garden, weave, will all of this be available to her? What is the commissary like? What should she expect on her first day? How much money can she take? She has food allergies that cause her to become ill, what is the food like? What are the sleeping arrangements like? I have so many questions for her, I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Kim
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 PM

Cricket, I sent you a pm.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Exclamation can you give me info on fpc too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_undercover
I was recently released from FPC Phoenix. Before I surrendered I tried in vain to find info on this institution. Now that I'm out, I want to make myself available to answer any questions anyone might have concerning federal prison camps for females, specifically Phoenix.
Maybe you could help me out too, id really appreciate it,..same questions as the other lady had......thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!, Wanda.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:26 PM

I can't tell you the details that fish_undercover can, but I can tell you that my mom self-surrendered in August and has completed about 3 months at the camp. She has made due despite her age (she will be 69 in January). The first few weeks she slept in the hall because there were no beds immediately available. She actually had her self-surrender date extended due to limited availability. All in all its not too bad for her, although she is very uncomfortable living with so many people. Once you get your number from the Federal Bureau of Prisons (bop.gov, don't forget the www), you can mail yourself some money to use once you get there. Make sure you don't mail this too early. You also should mail yourself a letter with all the addresses and phone numbers you need because you will have to provide it to the prison before you can make any phone calls. If you have not identified a number, you cannot call it. All the information relating to sending money and mail can be found on that website. Many of the women in the camp wore in basic earrings and were allowed to keep them, my mom was able to keep her own eyeglasses. Make sure if you have any medications that you get a prescription before you go in and take it with you so that the prison can fill it for you. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I can ask my mom when I talk to her. Otherwise, fish_undercover was extremely helpful when my mom went in....good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM

Thank you, Crickit. i will be goin there soon,..just kinda wondered what all i might have access to, weather it be classes, work, or programs,..whats the camp itself like???...thanx for any and all help,...Wanda.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM

Waiting lists for classes have been long. Work is definite. My mom currently works in the kitchen. As far as programs, it depends on your situation. There are programs available, but sometimes your charges play a role in whether or not you are eligible to participate. For instance, for drug charges there is a drug program which will help you get out sooner, but if you have gun enhancement then you may not be eligible.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Hi,

My daughter is in Alderson (W. VA) right now serving 36 mos. She has no visitors since I live in AZ and the rest of the family is in FL. She wants to transfer to AZ so I can visit her, but she knows nothing about it. At Alderson, she is very involved in yoga. Do they have yoga classes in AZ? She is very computer literate and would love to study web design or something similar. Do they offer anything like that? What are the phone privleges like? Are they limited to 300 mins per month? Do they have to pay for emails? How big are the cubicles? Also, is it cool enough inside during the summer months? You know, Mom's worry about those things ;0).

Thank you so much for your willingness to offer info. It is greatly appreciated.

Summer's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_undercover View Post
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM

I got out 5 years ago. I'm sure things have changed. I'm sorry that I can't be of much help, but I don't want to give you wrong information. I'm going to inquire about my post being removed.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine. Everyone survives it. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Hello Mom (Sandy)
I was released from the Phoenix camp last April and sometimes still get wind of what it is like there. There were not any specific classes that offered yoga. However, if someone is interested in starting up yoga classes they can go through the recreation director and he may start one up as long as in inmate is willing to teach it. I believe we had one or two yoga videos. Hopfully, they have received more videos with yoga.

As for classes, there are college classes offered there through a university, but none that offer computer classes since the facility does not have computers for those purposes. Things may have changed though and they may have computers now, but not that I am aware of. We did not have email there and I have not heard of any email privleges yet...

Yes, the phone privleges are 300 mins and an extra 100 during the holidays. I am not good with determining size but my guess was the room sizes are 10X12 or maybe 12X12. Yes, it is absolutely cool enough inside during the summer months...It is very hot outside, so most of us showered about 2 to 3 times a day and if she were to have a top bunk the vent is located right above her bed. Good in the summer, but cold in the winter because the temp from the vent does not change. She could just double up on thermals and socks like I did, though.

Overall, the camp is not bad, but I hear it's not the best of them all. If I can help with anything else, let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy metter View Post
Hi,

My daughter is in Alderson (W. VA) right now serving 36 mos. She has no visitors since I live in AZ and the rest of the family is in FL. She wants to transfer to AZ so I can visit her, but she knows nothing about it. At Alderson, she is very involved in yoga. Do they have yoga classes in AZ? She is very computer literate and would love to study web design or something similar. Do they offer anything like that? What are the phone privleges like? Are they limited to 300 mins per month? Do they have to pay for emails? How big are the cubicles? Also, is it cool enough inside during the summer months? You know, Mom's worry about those things ;0).

Thank you so much for your willingness to offer info. It is greatly appreciated.

Summer's Mom

You can incarcerate my body, but you cannot incarcerate my mind...
Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM

Wow. The BOP sure does mess with people. My report date is June 30th. In March, I found out that I was going to Greenville, IL. Just today, they called to tell me that they changed their mind and I'm going to Phoenix. I live in Missouri, so I have no idea how I'm going to get there. Also, I have a six month old son and my husband in Missouri. This makes visitation nearly impossible now.

Anyway, any updated information about the women's prison camp in Phoenix is appreciated. Some quick questions:

1. Can I wear my contact lenses or do I have to wear my glasses?

2. Can I bring a money order for the commissary and how much should I bring?

3. I know this might seem petty, but what about shaving your legs and armpits?

4. I have a current prescription for blood pressure medication but I only have the bottle of meds. Should I bring that or actually get the prescription again from my doctor?

5. Can I wear a non-jeweled silver cross necklace? It was only $15 and is sentimental to me.

Anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated. I'm really wavering between scared and pissed off right now that it got changed at the last possible moment.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Self surrendering in July 2014 to women's camp in phoenix. any recent info would be appreciated! !

Last edited by Jrc22; 02-06-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Default I was just sentenced 3 yrs and Have to surrender to SCP pheonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_undercover View Post
Hi Fish,
My name is Kristin and I too was just sentenced and I am trying to find out as much info as possible about the women's satallite prison camp. I have so many questions. Is there a different manual than the men's FCI/pheonix? b/c that is all I can seem to find. How was it there? I have never been in trouble in my life so I am freaking out a little bit of course as to I have no idea what to expect. Were the women nice to you while you were in there? Was there any programs for furthering your education? Any workout things like yoga or swimming, etc? What is a good amount of money to bring in with you and do you have to bring a money order? Sorry for all these questions. . . I know I will think of more too. I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks so much!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
PTO Research Assistant

Staff Superstar Award RA Training 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,001 Times in 5,494 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. You will find much information about what you can expect to experience in the 34 page women's federal prison camps sticky at the top of this forum
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

The way you present yourself to the other women, and to the staff (prison etiquette) will be the most important factor in how easy your time there will be. Best of luck.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisitnLynnea View Post
Hi Fish,
My name is Kristin and I too was just sentenced and I am trying to find out as much info as possible about the women's satallite prison camp. I have so many questions. Is there a different manual than the men's FCI/pheonix? b/c that is all I can seem to find. How was it there? I have never been in trouble in my life so I am freaking out a little bit of course as to I have no idea what to expect. Were the women nice to you while you were in there? Was there any programs for furthering your education? Any workout things like yoga or swimming, etc? What is a good amount of money to bring in with you and do you have to bring a money order? Sorry for all these questions. . . I know I will think of more too. I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks so much!
I'm going in July Kristin! When do you SS?