Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA > Iowa DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Iowa DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Iowa Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 PM

Exclamation Iowa Correctional Institute for Women (Mitchelville) questions?

Hi everyone! Can anyone give us info about Mitchelville (Ia. Correct. Inst. for Women)? How long after transfer from IMCC until they can call again? How long until visitation is granted? What kind of conditions can anyone tell us about. Our sister was transfered yesterday, we believe, according to the Ia. Dept. Corr. site. Please, if anyone knows anything, we are in desperate need of reassurance of any kind. Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2006, 05:01 AM

This is from http://www.doc.state.ia.us/InstitutionDesc.asp
Correctional Institution for Women
  • Mitchellville (Polk County)
  • Medium security
  • 515-967-4236
  • 190 Staff
  • 510 inmates ±
The Iowa Correctional Institution for Women is a medium/minimum security prison. ICIW houses inmates in its dorm-like living units and celled housing. In addition, a 60 bed return-to-confinement facility provides intensive treatment and programming of repeat offenders who have violated the terms of their probation and parole. ICIW provides educational and vocational services to inmates including Adult Basic Education, special education for eligible individuals, G. E. D., and high school diploma certification. Internal work assignments and vocational training courses in painting and a dietary managers program provide vocational training opportunities. An Iowa Prison Industries print shop also provides on-site vocational training. The institution emphasizes responsibility and accountability in preparing women offenders for successful return to the community. Programs offered focus on interpersonal relationships, domestic violence, career assessment and exploration, self-esteem, parenting, independent living, decision-making skills and thinking patterns, and health education. A substance abuse prevention, assessment, and referral program is licensed by the Iowa Department of Public Health. The facility also houses an in-patient substance abuse treatment program.

-Sierra
Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 PM

Smile Thanks for the info, thankfully have seen my SIS, now!

Thanks, Sierra for that reply! Fortunately, I have been there to see my Sis twice now. It was a long 2 month wait, though! Mitchellville is not quite as bad visiting wise as I had imagined. Still very difficult to leave her there each time, but I will continue to count my blessings that at least I get to see her, hug her, talk to her in person now!! Anyone with questions just starting this process, feel free to ask me whatever. There doesn't appear to be too many people on here with Mitchellville loved ones... but lots of great support from just reading that everyone feels the same-- just want their loved homes RIGHT NOW!! Everyone have a good weekend!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Default My wife is in Mitchellville

I feel your pain. I visit as often as I can and when the weather will allow. I love seeing my sweetie and I do understand when it's time to leave I want her to come home with me. She will be home soon but how soon this will be I don't know. Maybe 3 mos maybe 6-9 mos. but this is all too long for me.

If you need to talk or need someone who kind of understands look me up.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM

my daughter is in oakdale as of tuesday 5/6/08 I have not heard from her and we are told she will go to mitcheville when she gets out of oakdale. she took a plea bargain for 10 years on VEH. HOMICIDE/RECKLESS OR ELUDE and 1 year on owi 1st offense. we dont know what mitcheville is like or if it will be bad for her. we are really worryed for her as i am sure most family members are when a loved one goes in. not knowing what kind of place it is, is the hard part if you could give me some kind of insight on the place and what happens there that would be great. thanks sooo much for your time
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Sierra, or anyone listening, I am searching for my babygirl. I am fairly new to this agony and am praying endlessly to reach her to let her know how much she is loved and that I stand by her no matter what. I dont know what Im doing except that I think she is there in Mitchellville waiting for US Marshall transfer. Im just reaching for anything that will let me know she is ok. I cant eat, cant sleep, cant hardly breathe imagining what she must feel right now.
I dont know if you are someone who can help me help her,... Im lost in this. Please

Last edited by javier; 06-03-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: timeline
Old 02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
amazingfacts.org

Exclamation tanya gardner

tanya, I am looking to see if you are able to contact me through this sight... val
Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 PM

are you trying to contact a prisoner? they don't have access to this website.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie62 View Post
Hi everyone! Can anyone give us info about Mitchelville (Ia. Correct. Inst. for Women)? How long after transfer from IMCC until they can call again? How long until visitation is granted? What kind of conditions can anyone tell us about. Our sister was transfered yesterday, we believe, according to the Ia. Dept. Corr. site. Please, if anyone knows anything, we are in desperate need of reassurance of any kind. Thanks very much!
They have to wait until phone money is transfered to ICIW. Visitation depends on how soon you get your application sent in and granted. They will let her know, than she will contact you for approval. Conditions are like any prison. Live in a dorm style building. The CO's can be good, bad or ugly. Just depends on their mood for the day.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Question Info on Setting Up Phone Number for Mitchellville

Thanks to everyone for the useful information. My daughter was just transfered to Mitchellville two days ago, and we are in the process of setting up a Magic Jack telephone. Can anyone tell me the correct numbers (area code should be 515 I think) and I have no clue as to what prefix to ask for. Apparently the difference in cost can run from $11. for a two minute call to $2. for a 20 minute call, depending on what number the inmate is calling.

Any advice? And thanks to everyone here. This site is so useful and filled with such good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie62 View Post
Thanks, Sierra for that reply! Fortunately, I have been there to see my Sis twice now. It was a long 2 month wait, though! Mitchellville is not quite as bad visiting wise as I had imagined. Still very difficult to leave her there each time, but I will continue to count my blessings that at least I get to see her, hug her, talk to her in person now!! Anyone with questions just starting this process, feel free to ask me whatever. There doesn't appear to be too many people on here with Mitchellville loved ones... but lots of great support from just reading that everyone feels the same-- just want their loved homes RIGHT NOW!! Everyone have a good weekend!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Yes, you definitely want to get a local number cell phone - makes the expenses far less. I'm not sure what Mitchellville's prefix is but I would say that if you did the same one that the prison has you should be OK. Mitchellville isn't very large so they should only have 1 prefix too.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks so much. I've even got (it's posted) Mitchellville's own phone number! Daughter called tonight, and it doesn't sound so bad. When they say "dorms", she says four to a room. Whatever else I find out, including my first visit, I'll be sure and let people know.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Account Closed

Hello everyone, my daughter is in Mitchelville. I live in Oregon and can't visit. It's so hard not being able to see her, talk to her, know how she is doing, and let her know how much she is loved. We can't afford the collect calls, so I'm trying to find ways to stay in touch. I'd like to send her a Christmas basket but don't have a clue how to do this. Can anyone help me? with gratitude....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 PM

I spent time in mitchelleville as well as have a friend currently out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Happychick83 For This Useful Post:
SimplyMe123 (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychick83 View Post
I spent time in mitchelleville as well as have a friend currently out there.
Are you familiar with Mitchelville's Substance abuse treatment program? My daughter has been trying to get in there.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Post Mitchellville IA Prison

I was in Mitchellville, IA Prison from 2004 to 2006. As soon as an inmate has money on their phone account they can make phone calls. They need to either have this money sent in from someone to their phone account or they may transfer it from their inmate account.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachelwilson For This Useful Post:
SimplyMe123 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Familiar with Mitchelville treatment program

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingDawn59 View Post
Are you familiar with Mitchelville's Substance abuse treatment program? My daughter has been trying to get in there.
It's a tough program which will either make or break a person. I know because, I used to be in it. I had my ups as well as my downs in the program. There are disciplinary actions for disobeying the rules. These may apply to just one person in the treatment or all in the treatment but, not to the rest of the general population. They have rules also for all inmates in the prison. If one can get through the program they may get alot or a little out of it. I have learned a few things like, it is a choice to make to commit crime and, to pick up alcohol and/or drugs. Some of the other things they have taught me in there is holding yourself and others accountable for theirs or your own actions. Also planning well, and sticking to your plans.
SimplyMe123 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up The best thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingDawn59 View Post
Hello everyone, my daughter is in Mitchelville. I live in Oregon and can't visit. It's so hard not being able to see her, talk to her, know how she is doing, and let her know how much she is loved. We can't afford the collect calls, so I'm trying to find ways to stay in touch. I'd like to send her a Christmas basket but don't have a clue how to do this. Can anyone help me? with gratitude....
The guards and, Warden does not allow anything other than letters and money to be sent to inmates in prison. I would say send a Birthday Card and put some money on her account. Maybe look up the phone number to the prison and make 1 phone call to find out how you can do this. Also when you send money to her account she can get have a choice or some choices of variety of things from commissary to have for her birthday, it'll be a lot like sending somebody a gift card with money on it or a check for a special occassion. She may have less choices compared to somebody out of prison but, she'll appreciate it because, I did whenever my Grandparents or Mom did this same thing for me and more. You may also send pictures.
SimplyMe123 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Smile You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2IA4U View Post
Thanks so much. I've even got (it's posted) Mitchellville's own phone number! Daughter called tonight, and it doesn't sound so bad. When they say "dorms", she says four to a room. Whatever else I find out, including my first visit, I'll be sure and let people know.
As long as one follows the rules, Mitchellville Prison is not as bad as Prisons seen on TV or in movies. The most troublesome thing inmates can come across is not seeing there loved ones or not hearing from them. The other thing is when an inmate gets in trouble can only add more stress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachelwilson For This Useful Post:
SimplyMe123 (12-21-2012), wmo1998 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Information about life

Just wondering if you can give me some information on life in Mitchelville... I read that it is living dorm style... what does that mean? Is it easy to get along there? Just any information you can provide would be great... I have a family member that is awaiting trial and may possibly be going to Mitchelville... Thanks