Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Kentucky Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Kentucky prisons.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Eddyville, KSP - Kentucky State Penitentiary ????

I searched these topics in this forum, but I know time changes everything. So my question is can anyone give me any update or insight on this place? Visit's for gen pop and the hole? Phone calls? ect. Just tell me anything and everything. Please, and Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,019 Times in 560 Posts

Well as far as phone calls it depends on where he is classified. They have PC - Protective Custoday, GP - General Population - Trustee Status, Death Row and of course the Hole.

GP inmates can use the phones seven days a week at certain times, morning, afternoon as well as early evening.

PC inmates can only use the phone Mon-Fri from 8AM-10:AM.

The hole it all depends on the length of time they are in there. Usually they will get to call you once they are taken to the hole and thereafter depends on other factors.

PC Visiting is on each Fri and the first Sat of the month.

GP Visiting is on each Sun and two Sat's of the month.

Death Row Visiting is on one Sat of the month.

Trustee status I believe visit with the GP's.

Hole visits (if they are allowed), not all are allowed, are by appointment only and are on Thursdays. You have to write a letter to the Deputy Warden ahead of time and request a visit. You may want to indicate a early or late appt depending on your travel and circumstances. They are a two hour visit.

All of the other visits you can register at 7:30AM and visiting is over at 1:45PM.

There are no drug machines and no ion machines either.

No jewelry is allowed except for a wedding band.

They do take pictures in the visiting room. There is a machine that takes quarters, if I recall it is 2.00. Poloroid pictures and you get them right there.

You are allowed to take in 15.00 per adult in change only, no bills. You can take in one handkerchief, one small comb and of course you have to have your Drivers License and be on the approved visit in order to visit.

Your car key will be put in a locker, and you will have a key to that locker, also for coats, jackets, etc.

If you wear a sweater or jacket, coat inside the visiting room, you have to keep it on the entire visit. I haven't a clue why either. I usually froze so I always wore mine.

They only have inside visits and there is no smoking allowed.

They do have a limited amount of books and games for kids to play with.

The inmates can handle the money and can go to the vending machines and make purchases as well as use the microwave. They have soda, coffee, snack machines as well as a sandwich machine.

If you want to go to the bathroom, you have to have the officer unlock the door and you are patted down after you are finished. If an inmate has to use the bathroom, the officer goes inside the bathroom with the inmate.

For me, parking is the worst. You may end up parking 1/2 mile away. You have to remember this prison was built in the 1800's and they did not plan for cars back then. You also have lots of steps to climb and they are steep.

If you have an illness that prevents you from climbing the steps, you can get a written letter from your doctor and submit it to the Warden for approval to use the elevator.

I guess being a Maximum Security facility, there definitely is alot more security there than any prison I have visited in Kentucky.

They not only have the eye in the sky, but in the corners of the room as well. There is also a guard office at each end of the room where the guards sit and observe and on one side of the room there are several guards that observe.

If you are taking children there, you need to call ahead as they have their own requirements especially if you are not the parent. I am sorry, but I can't help you with that other than to say they have to be approved on the list as well.

If you are the wife, girlfriend, fiancee you have to sit across from the inmate. The tables are marked. If you are the mother, sister, grandmother, niece, cousin you can sit next to the inmate.

You are allowed a brief kiss and hug at the beginning and end of each visit. You can also hold hands above the table during the entire visit.

A tip for you at holiday times, they can get crowded and will ask for volunteers to leave first. You are guaranteed only two hour visit, so if you are the first one there, you may be the first one to leave if enough people do not volunteer to leave. So, on those days, I always tried to leave a little later so I could hopefully get my visit in and it worked because I never had to leave early.

That is about all I can think of. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I know KSP fairly well.

All my best to you and yours.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks! So far they have been moving him to LLCC, NTC, and now they are talking about Eddyville or EKCC. So who knows, but his gut is telling him he will be moved to Eddyville in the next few months. I hope he just gets out of GRCC.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitN4Him
Thanks! So far they have been moving him to LLCC, NTC, and now they are talking about Eddyville or EKCC. So who knows, but his gut is telling him he will be moved to Eddyville in the next few months. I hope he just gets out of GRCC.
Well if I was the one having to choose, I would hope that it would be KSP. I hear you on just getting away from GRCC. Although KSP is maximum security there are advantages there such as having your own cell and for some inmates they find that important.

I always found all of the guards very respectful there and no problems in the visiting area as long as you follow the rules.

It is heavily guarded and alot of security measures are in place there as you would think being Maximum Security.

We saw one instance where a visitor brought contraband in and they came over and took both of them and took a garbage bag and cleaned off the table into the bag. I didn't know what was going on until later and two days later I read it in the newspaper.

Bringing contraband in just does not pay. It only makes it worse on everyone there. Not only are the inmates effected by it, but the visitors are as well.

Here is hoping he gets out soon. I know there is a waiting list of 15 as of Monday wanting to go to GRCC, so maybe they will change him out soon with them. They usually make the rounds when they transfer.

All my best to you and yours.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 PM

How do you find all this out? So people actually wanna go to GRCC? Well he got a letter from the Warden Monday that said he will be moved. And he is certain that it will be KSP, because she feels that he should be at a Max Sec prison. Which he is fine with. It makes it kind of bad for visit, but really I can't complain. He has to live with it. I just want to know what they are going to write him up for and get him moved.... Just let him do his time already.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitN4Him
How do you find all this out? So people actually wanna go to GRCC? Well he got a letter from the Warden Monday that said he will be moved. And he is certain that it will be KSP, because she feels that he should be at a Max Sec prison. Which he is fine with. It makes it kind of bad for visit, but really I can't complain. He has to live with it. I just want to know what they are going to write him up for and get him moved.... Just let him do his time already.
The reason I knew about the waiting list is because I just had a friend put in for a transfer and they can tell them at that time how many people are ahead of him. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and emergency's of course.

Yes, there are people who want to go to GRCC because of the programs they offer there. It is one of two or three prisons that offer the Legal Aide courses, so if you want to be a legal aide you have very few choices.

Also having two days to visit is a plus for many. Especially those who live in the area. Or those having the money to come and have an overnight stay.

So many inmate family and friends are from the Louisville and Lexington area and GRCC is not that far away.

As far as the other information it is from personal knowledge with my husband and other friends who are in prison here in Kentucky. I ask lots of questions because I want to be informed. I want to know everything that I can learn, so I can share with others and also help those who need help.

Even though KSP is a Maximum Security Prison, it really does have alot of good points. The only prison that has single man cells. I have always felt that the CO's there were very nice and respectful. I had no problems at all with any of them.

I hope he gets transferred soon. It took them several months to get my husband out of there, but there were unusual circumstances also.

If by chance he does not want to go there to KSP and his point score is under Maximum, he can file a grievance. If it is lower, he cannot be forced to go there. It will take some doing, but the Warden even though she may want him there, if the score is under, unless he is a high security risk (several escape attempts), he can go elsewhere.

Stay strong and know that we are all here for you.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Thank You! I'm like you I ask a lot of questions, and I have learned a lot.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM

can u explain to me what this is please