Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 06-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,604 Times in 1,554 Posts
Post Welcome to the form for American Indian Natives

WELCOME!!! everyone!!!

Leonard Peltier, a political prisoner of the United States government, stated that the American prison system was the fastest growing indian reservation in America.

Odds are that if you are associated with communities of the First Nations, you know someone who is or was incarcerated due to the historical trauma suffered by the indigenous people of this land from first contact and even now, the inability to cope with our losses ends in incarceration. For many, however, prison is the place where many native women and men find the ways of their ancesters and begin to walk in beauty on the Red Road.

This forum is a place to find and offer support for those of us, who, in one way or another have found ourselves involved with the United States Prison System or walking with incarcerated First Nations People.

Take a minute and introduce yourself, your connection to the correctional system and what brings you to the Native American forum, here on PTO. Know you are welcome, here, for whatever reason you stopped by.

Last edited by Wingy; 01-29-2006 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: updating
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
BrightSunshine (06-08-2012), coty Ruiz (07-21-2011), Lancer (09-22-2013), mountainlady (06-17-2010), myndi1990 (01-29-2014), PoetPuma (05-26-2010), Polarbaer (07-03-2008), Red Sage (01-29-2009), shragon (02-18-2013), Sun's Mom (10-08-2008), supportivemom (01-06-2009), there4u1909 (01-13-2012), Uzizitka (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,619 Times in 345 Posts

Great! A welcome addition to the PTO family... I am looking forward to reading and learning here...

The Prison System is Broken
Old 06-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Account Closed

Thanks, FedX! I thought I just posted in a Native American section the other day? Is this part of it or a new part?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Resting in Peace - Lulu's Rock

I am really pleased this forum now exists. (And I am sad my N.A.P.A.C. friend Morningsky_ndn is not here in PTO to see this day.) Yes, toi-ama, you post well. Please post more here and encourage others that we may learn. I am particularly interested in what Native American justice has to teach us about what the real objectives of sentence should be. Vengeance as an attribute and prerogative of one's Deity, and as a model for what is good, certainly wearies me.
<font face="arial" size="1" color="#cc0000">Eschew victimness.</font>
Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 AM

I hear you have to pass some kind of test before you can become a native american indian religion. What kind of questions are on it?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Account Closed

Skeeter, there's no test that I know of. Do you mean a test to be able to learn Native American spiritual practices? Are you part Native American? Or are you referring to the Native American Church? If you can give us more information, I think it will be helpful in allowing someone to give you a better answer.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:48 AM

I had just heard that prisoners had to take a test , maybe it was to prove they were native american, or involved in the church. I dont know much about it. I have a brother in prison and he said he had to take some kind of test to prove his religion[native american] so he could be moved to a different facility.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:07 PM

Default FINALLY!

I can't tell you how happy I am to see this forum. I've even put in searches just for something like this. Thank you.
Wendy
Old 09-11-2003, 08:37 PM

Hi! I'm fairly new to PTO. My husband is in state prison. 2 more years to go. He is Native American, I am not. He is part of a Circle inside, and that is really helping him. I have been doing lots of reading, but have lots more to learn. This forum looks like a good place to learn! Thanks! mstar
Old 09-12-2003, 09:39 AM

Welcome, mstar. I have found this site very helpful.
Wendy
Old 09-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Account Closed

Skeeter, sorry it took me so long to get to this. Some prisons require proof of Native American ancestry before a prisoner can participate in Native American spiritual activities within the prison. Some prisons even go so far as to say you have to have a government card before they'll allow it. Texas is one of those I think. The Native American Church is different than the real Native spirituality in that it developed from a blending of Native American and Christian beliefs. I personally believe that if a person says they have Native American ancestry, that should be good enough, if they can give some sort of oral family history. As for people without the ancestry, I believe it should be done following tradition------if a Native American Elder deems the person should be included in the Circle, then it should be allowed. This isn't done lightly, so it's not done often. Indians are the only ethnic group that's expected to prove their ancestry-----no other ethnic group has to carry any kind of card or prove it in any way, by the way.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:24 PM

hello im new to PTO and im glad to see something here is to help us natives. my boyfriend and are are both native. he has been in for 6 months now he is serving 18 months. but i am glad to have found PTO
Old 10-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Account Closed

Welcome amarie. I'm glad you found us, too, and I look forward to getting to know you better.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:53 AM
im a good girl i am

and you know toi....the native americans alot of times kept quite...of their heritage to keep from being kicked off their land....i have cherokee in my heritage and we all know it but can not legally prove it...stories pasted from generation to generation doesn't help when the government thinks you want money...and we don't ...we just want to be reconized..

~~~"Our virtues are most frequently but our vices in disguise."~~~~
François duc de La Rochefoucauld
Old 10-18-2003, 07:26 PM

I am an American Indian and I personally feel that no one should have to prove anything to practice any faith. If American Indian Spirituality suits you, you should have the Constitutional right to do what you want, in prison or not.....No other group of people has to say they are of any ethnic group, or have a "number" to be a Baptist, Catholic or what ever else they want to believe in. Besides the Jews when Hitler reigned, American Indians are the ONLY people in the world to have to have a number to be who they are.

In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse,
~Carol~
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 PM

Default New Here

Hi my name is Coda and I am posting for the first time. I am Part Cherokee and I let myself fall in love with a man in prison who has recently transferred to a new prison in Washington State from Clallam bay Washington. He was in the native circle but recently he told me he wanted to fight his case and that he was not going to be in the circle anymore for a while. He spends a lot of time in ceremony alone and has helped other brothers out with their walks. I worry about him and I don't understand a lot of things. I have only known him for a year and to be honest falling in love with him is very confusing at times. I don't know how it came to this but he has changed my life. I am now close to his family and I talk to his Mother often. I live in SC 2000 miles away from him so we usually talk on the phone and through letters. I have Private Line so calls are 2.00 for 20 minutes. I guess I am rambling but this is the first time I have found connections to others who might understand what I can't seem to for myself half of the time. I am leaving on December 17, to see him for the first time. His Mother and Father are paying for it and I am going to stay with his family. I guess this doesn't make much sense but I will post it anyway. Nothing seems to make sense right now anyway.

Coda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prison site.jpg (4.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 10-27-2003, 12:41 PM

Welcome, Coda. I hope your man's walk on the Red Road helps him out. I know what it's like to finally find somewhere where you feel connected.
Wendy
Old 10-27-2003, 02:20 PM

Yes, in Texas Native Americans are "forced" to take a written test in order to participate in ceremonies and circle. If they refuse to take the test they are not allowed to particiate and may be transferred to units that are not designated as Native American. My husband and I are working hard on this issue and have been in contact with NAPS, NAIRR and other organizations.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:51 PM

Thanks Wendy....
Old 10-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Well this great a place for Native Americans since I am a full blooded Mohawk Indian. I'm originally from New York, but live in Michigan.

The Following User Says Thank You to LeaAnn For This Useful Post:
Uzizitka (08-05-2012)
Old 10-28-2003, 09:14 AM

My husband is Apache (Texas) and I'm Yaqui. We both walked The Red Road long before we met, although he's been locked up so long, he's never practiced on the streets.
Wendy
Old 10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Account Closed

Fred is from Texas and is Apache, too. Chiricahua Apache. I'm Cherokee. Fred has trouble finding resources for learning the language so I found a western Apache dictionary to send to him for Christmas. I don't know if western Apache is right, but if your guy would be interested in that dictionary, I can give you the name of it. Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have it.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:23 AM

Toi,
That would be soooooo cool. I'd appreciate the name. Thanks!
Wendy
Old 11-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Waiting Forever Club

Smile GREAT A NEW Forum FOR US

Hi Shiningdrum here. I am so happy to see a new forum open. I am Half Oglala Lakota and Half Cherokee. My husband is full blood Ojibwa and a lifer. We have been together 23 years now. He recently got moved to medium security in Ontario Canada and is chief of the Native Brotherhood in the Prison. We are both quite traditional and the Red Road is the only path we journey on. He was 15 when he went in and we were teen lovers. We have 2 beautiful children and while being apart is stressful, we somehow make it work. It isn't easy but we both feel it is worth it. It will be so nice to share my thoughts with others who understand my beliefs and culture. Sometimes it gets so hard and so lonely here in the city. I take off to the bush whenever I can to talk to the animals and be with the Great Spirit. Warm thoughts to all who enter here.
Mitakuye Oyasin
Lina Shiningdrum

"One does not sell the land upon which people walk"
- Crazy Horse
Old 11-07-2003, 09:00 AM

I am so glad that i found this forume. it is nice to have people to talk to that understand what is going on. i mean me and my brother both are Chippewa from Montana and it is nice that people understand our beliefs. My brother has been locked up most of his life in and out of one place to another and prison is where he found his belief. Alot of people ask me why i havent given up on him yet. they dont understand that the way we were raised is to always stand behind eachother and also we were raised that women are suppose to be the strong ones. Just like he is older then me by almost 7 years and i still feel like i am the older sister because i take care of him. I mean so many have given up hope on him and never could He is my bllod and I will always be there for him. I guess i kinnda vented sorry i had to finnaly get it out and i am hoping that the people here will understand what i am talking about
Terri Ackerman
The Following User Says Thank You to chippy_chick For This Useful Post:
Uzizitka (08-05-2012)