Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Riker's Island Jail - New York
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riker's Island Jail - New York Topics & Discussions relating to Riker's Island Jail.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:55 PM

Default Riker's Island Information

i wish i wasnt going through all of this. i hate visiting prisons. so tell me, is there anyone else here with a loved one at rikers. if yes, please lets talk. if not. please lets talk lol. rikers island in the house.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2003, 03:43 PM

My step son is at Riker's. I live about 6 hours away from the city so I do not visit and never have. I wait until he end's up in the State system. I have never heard great, wonderful, or even nice things about Riker's. I am around let's talk!
Old 06-07-2003, 05:09 PM

I don't have anyone in Riker's right now, but it is practically in my back yard. It's not a great place to be!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Always Special to PTO!

c-73 (GMDC), c-76
been there many times to visit and although I haven't been there in a year I can understand you're frustration...let it out!!!

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after
Old 06-08-2003, 11:20 AM

well mine is in c-74 ARDC. no it's not easy at all. actually he's up in 4main and he said things are really crazy right now. he's so stressed out, he doesnt even write anymore, this from a man that used to write me everyday for two months. he's only been there for three months. but is no stranger to the prison system.
and to mimi yes girl let us talk.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Keepin' it REAL

I have been to every section imaginable in Rikers with my son's father. 95, 73, 74....I also did a 6 month bid at the Rose M. Singer Center, so I've been on both ends of the stick. I HATE Rikers Island! It's a pain going out there, it takes FOREVER to get in and DON"T GET CAUGHT IN THE COUNT! OH GOD! Then you'll REALLY be waiting. Ever been on the school bus and get delayed EVEN MORE when they wanna bring the dogs on for a drug search? Oh GOD that place SUCKS!!! It's probably one of the most STRESSFUL places to be in a jail. It's like you're on home terrority, but you know you're probably on your way upstate. Anyone I know who's been there can't wait to go up and get it over with. They said they feel like at least once you get upstate, you can "officially" start your countdown to coming home. Going there will stress you out almost as much as him! I'm here if you wanna talk. I'm in the Bronx. My # is 646-271-6727. (I got rid of my home phone) Take care.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:53 AM

I HAVE HAD FAMILY ON RIKER'S BUT NOT NOW. UNFORTUNETLY I SPENT ALOT OF TIME ON THE ISLAND VISITING FROM 1981-PRESENT SO I'M HERE IF YOU NEED ANY INFO.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:50 PM

My son's father was on the Island before he went upstate and I have heard that it's the worse place to be locked up at. I was so worried when he was in tbere. The visits sucked and it took me forever to get out there frommy borough. They put you through so much crap jus to get in. You'll have to deal with long lines waiting and more waiting. I use to feellike my whole day was wasted when I visited there. I hope your loved one is out of there soon.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 PM

i hear all of you on your comments because thats what i have to deal with right now. lisa, i know all about the count, omg, that is ridiculous, and please dont even talk about the dog/drug search. see i only been up there like six times and already been through that stupid detour. and i was on the first bus over when it was a 2-7 visit and i didnt even get to registration until 3. the wait is crazy. i mean you have to go through like three detectors, wats up with that. and lets not even talk about if they dont have locks, and you have to wait till someone's visit is over. and i hear you yanigirl because there are times when i feel like i spent my whole day there. and if you have an appointment and are in a rush, i suggest you dont even bother to go. my baby gotta do two years and its only been three months. i only been there a few times and it already feels like a dreaded routine.

also lisa i just might take you up on that call.

SHARI
Old 06-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Always Special to PTO!

From my experience 2-7 visits were mich worse than during the day. And weekend even worse than that. Of course that's because most people work and such and have to visit at those times. If you have a car and can park on the other side of the bridge it reduces a ton of stress. But I took the train and bus many times from Brooklyn. It was definately a whole day trip. Just take a deep breath, you'll make it through this!

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after
Old 06-13-2003, 09:34 AM

I JUST FOUND OUT ONE OF MY FRIEND'S JUST GOT MOVED THERE HE IS IN C-74 THE WORST BUILDING ON THE ISLAND.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:59 PM

yeah like i said my baby is there to, wat house is he in lori. and bella wat u said is so true, having a car does make it easier, but sometimes the parking kills it, but it's still betta. i just came back from seeing my baby today and wow is all i can say. it was a 7-2, i'm sorry people i meant 7-2 not 2-7, there are also 1-8's. anyway i got there late had to wait like a lil over a half hour for the bus to ARDC, another 10 at registration and how can i forget the 40 min. for him to come up. wow! but i had a lot of fun with him, i'm so happy right now.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:08 AM

Question Seeking Advice Re: Riker's

Hi to all! I'm a newbie to this site, so please go easy on me...

I may be offered a position to teach @ Rikers soon- it would be teaching the
teenagers and aimed at prepping them to take their GED...

I'd really appreciate any comments, opinions or advice from any of you.

I know DOC hassles the BOE people at Rikers (but DOC is under court order
to cooperate with BOE to shape up the education offerings on the Island).

My thinking is to take the job because I think Riker's is where I would be
needed most as a teacher. Some folks I know who've been inmates there
say going to classes was a joke to look good at sentencing; others say it
was the only good thing about their time on the Island. Some folks I know
who have taught on the Island say they were babysitting and others say
it was the best place to teach because the kids were 1,000% motivated to
learn...

Any opinions on education on the Island and what's really needed there would
really be appreciated.

Thanks

Dismas
Old 06-14-2003, 07:49 PM

I hope you can make a difference....while I'm sure some will think it is a joke....others will take it seriously - and that is where you have a chance to really change the future for some teens. One of my neighbors attended a program at Rikers where he actually LEARNED to READ! That was his turning point!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:51 AM

Default Dear Ivory

Thanks very much for your response. Hearing about your neighbor's story
is exactly the kind of anecdote that makes a teacher forget all the uninterested
kids and apathetic or hostile administration. I think the point is to teach hard
to the kids in the group who are interested and try to motivate them to get out of
the corrections system by using their minds...

I'm hanging in for teaching on the Island and have turned down 2 teaching
offers elsewhere.

I'd greatly appreciate input from others regarding education on the Island:
what's bad about it, what's good about it, etc.

Best regards

Dismas
The Following User Says Thank You to dismas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2003, 12:02 PM

My ex-fiance is on Riker's... he's been there since 5/13/03. He will be there for another 4 months... He's at EMTC. anyone know anyone in the same facility?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:25 PM

SHARI, I DIDNT GET THAT INFO YET BUT WHEN I DO I'LL LET YOU KNOW. WHERE ARE YOU FROM? MAYBE WE CAN GO TOGETHER ONE DAY. LET ME KNOW
Old 06-16-2003, 07:37 PM

anki, hang in there girl. and lori, i'd like it if you did send that info. well nice talking to all of you. bye.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:52 PM

Question first time visiting rikers - need info

i want to visit a friend this weekend at rikers but i don't know the first thing. i've been looking around on this site today and found some helpful hints about visitation in general.

can anyone direct me to more information? schedules? transportation? what to expect? how many people can visit at a time? i really don't know the first thing. thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:06 PM

Hey I've been to Rikers many of times to visit. You need a valid ID and try not to bring so much stuff with you. You have to go through machaines it's a pain Remember his ID # and bring a pen OH and no smoking they banded it from rikers. When you get to the visit don't wear any jewelry at all. you can take the 7 train to Queensboro plaza and there is a bus just ask I don't remember he's been in the states for a while now
Old 07-29-2003, 02:09 PM

thanks for your help. i really appreciate it. do you know if more than one person can visit at a time?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Default a link i found

any others out there also looking for info, i just came across this link: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/doc/html/visit.html
Old 07-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,245 Posts

Hi jigsaw,

Since you had some specific visitation questions for Rikers, I have moved this thread to the New York forum on PTO so your post will have the opportunity to get more specific responses and the best answers to your questions... Ive found they often get more and better answers there, AND the information will be here to help others in the future, too.

You also might want to thumb thru the New York forum to see if some of your questions have already been answered in the past... the direct link to the forum is here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...s=&forumid=159

Hope you find the info you're looking for and good luck!

Lys
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 AM

I saw 2 inmates on a visit with one person before but you should call to be on the safe side
Old 07-31-2003, 10:38 PM

if u come from the bronx theres a van service called j and j thats at 149 and third ave right in front of the VIM.
Closed Thread