Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ Prison Lock-Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

TDCJ Prison Lock-Down Status News, Information & Updates on prisons being under lock down.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM

BusterCole35 - when they are on lockdown are they allow to still have visits?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Shaun's wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommysGirl4156
BusterCole35 - when they are on lockdown are they allow to still have visits?
My husband is in Pam Lyncher and they we're on lockdown this past saturday because apperently some inmate tried to escape. But i do know that they do not have visits during lockdowns because I did not get to see him this weekend.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 PM
We survived TDCJ!

If they are on lockdown due to an escape or attempted escape that's different than just a regular shakedown. Otherwise they do have visit. It's pretty understandable why they would not during an escape or riot.
And we're still going strong!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Donation Award 

My husband has complained about females - both those who are officers and those who are not - being present during strip searches and has filed a complaint every time it has occurred. His feelings are that it is both inappropriate and dangerous. His concerns regarding danger are having a room full of naked men (who haven't had sex since incarcerated) with a woman present and what could happen. He's also a gentleman who doesn't feel this situation is appropriate. And finally, he's concerned that someone (perhaps one of the females or a guard) will falsely accuse an inmate of inappropriate touching, etc. during these strip searches when women are present.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM
God is Awesome!

Wow that is CRAZY - I did not have a clue - now I am worried about my BD he just wrote me and said that Gurney is about to go on lockdown!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Donation Award 

I really resent the female guards in the male units!! My son says that the females stand and stare as the inmates use the toilet facilites-six that are lined up along a back wall. They yell at them to "get off the crapper". He is in a "non-violent" group, low keyed and quiet. Looking forward to this nightmare being over. I hope he will get his life together when his out again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kacee For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterCole35
OK, the truth behind the Shakedown...When a unit goes on lockdown, all inmates are told to rack up, meaning on their assigned bunk..The water to the dorm is turned off, prior to them knowing off the lockdown...I have never seen or heard of a cavity search being done on a lockdown, besides medical had to do those..On my unit we take the inmates, and all their belongings out onto a rec yard, they come to the table 1 at a time and there stuff is gone through, anything that is contraband is taken..The offender is then strip searched, givin his clothing back and sent to the other side of the yard to wait to be let back inside the dorm. A female officer can strip search a male if a male is present, also if there is no male officer available and depending on the reasaons...Most lockdowns last less than a week, the offenders are few 'Johnnies", which have pb$j, burrito, bologna sandwiches, sometimes crackers in them...they get a shower every 24hrs.....thats about it, any questions feel free to ask me, i have worked for TDCJ since 2001 and have been about 20 of these things..
Wow you make it sound so nice--of course that is coming from a boss' perspective. I was on Middleton through a shakedown then on Sanchez for 4 shakedowns, and at Mineral Wells (CCA Facility) for one shakedown--NEVER NEVER NEVER did I get a shower every 24 hours--at best we were given one every other day. At Sanchez it was every 72 hours--the same day they came for necessitites (clothing exchange). Johnny sacks--yeah they suck! Breakfast comes around 4 am with a hard boiled egg and a pack of dry cereal. Lunch you get a PB&J with about a table spoon worth of mixed up PB&J in the center of two hard pieces of bread and a burrito. dinner time--two burritos. Fortunately, the dorm I lived in was the maintenance workers dorm, so they the plumber rerouted the hot water pot controls so they couldn't be controled from the picket--we had hot water during our lockdowns--that was the only thing that got us through sometimes.

When lockdown was called, we were all stripped at our work sites (yes the usual strip search--take everything off, spread fingers, open mouth, lift nut sac, spread cheeks, lift feet, etc--yes humilitating at first, but when you get stripped three times a day, you get very used to it very quick--hope you weren't a modest person before, because after TDCJ gets through with you, you might as well be an exhibionist (cant spell that word--hope you get the gist). then you get marched back to your dorm and scramble to get rid of all of your contraband--empty water bottle from commissary is contraband and will be trashed by the guards. then the dreaded wait time--you can only hope that you are one of the last dorms--usually the co's are so tired of doing the shakedowns by that time that they rush through your property and the dorm and it goes much quicker that way, plus you can maybe fare out with more of your property at that point. and everything that was posted earlier about dragging your property to whereever--well that is different on every unit. At Sanchez--all you have to do is go to the rec yard behind your assigned building.

from an ex-offender's point of view, some of the guards are cool--they understand that they are there for a job and that job is to ensure the "safety" of the inmates--other CO's take their job too seriously--as if they think they are an officer of the court there to ensure a continued punishment--they do this by their demeaning talk--treating us like dogs instead of human beings. Yes we are in prison, but we are still human beings and you F**** A**** CO's with an attitude need to remember that. (stepping off soapbox right now )

Okay I really went off, I will end this now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrw_dallas For This Useful Post:
brissygirl (08-22-2010), keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Wow...Andy hasn't mentioned anything like this. Probably to spare me I guess. I for one am not comfortable with female co's being present for any strip searches. But then again....I guess whatever they can do to get their dang jollies.

He is finally home
The Following User Says Thank You to andysbabygirl For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 AM
March 4th 2007

When i was a guard it was kinda like that but not exactually. we didnt make them strip search or body cavity search. just get down to their boxers and run their hands around the top elastic part and shake them. i went through their stuff but i never tripped on them not having their name and number on little stuff like stamps and envelopes. the fans and radios i had to though cuz rank was usually in the gym with us. and some of the inmates that have been there a long time do have a crap load of stuff. i remember there was this one inmate who had been there since before i was born (1988) and not only did he have his sheets and blankets filled with his stuff out of his cell but he also had his law lockerbox (used for legal papers). they had locked down the unit because they found over a pound of weed on one of the dorms. by one inmate. i think ours didnt get to shower ther first day (i can remember them complaining about it) i kept calling down there to see if they were gonna let them. but yeah anyways i guess ours wasnt that strict on it because we usually didnt have females strip search the inmates. there was always plenty of guys there to do that. oh and we didnt wait on our inmates either. when i was working the dorm my inmates still wondered around. but they did keep it to a minimum so i wouldnt get in trouble. i guess some prisons take it to the extreme. i guess thats just a lil insight of how they did it at eastham
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 AM
God is Truly Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw_dallas
Wow you make it sound so nice--of course that is coming from a boss' perspective. I was on Middleton through a shakedown then on Sanchez for 4 shakedowns, and at Mineral Wells (CCA Facility) for one shakedown--NEVER NEVER NEVER did I get a shower every 24 hours--at best we were given one every other day. At Sanchez it was every 72 hours--the same day they came for necessitites (clothing exchange). Johnny sacks--yeah they suck! Breakfast comes around 4 am with a hard boiled egg and a pack of dry cereal. Lunch you get a PB&J with about a table spoon worth of mixed up PB&J in the center of two hard pieces of bread and a burrito. dinner time--two burritos. Fortunately, the dorm I lived in was the maintenance workers dorm, so they the plumber rerouted the hot water pot controls so they couldn't be controled from the picket--we had hot water during our lockdowns--that was the only thing that got us through sometimes.

When lockdown was called, we were all stripped at our work sites (yes the usual strip search--take everything off, spread fingers, open mouth, lift nut sac, spread cheeks, lift feet, etc--yes humilitating at first, but when you get stripped three times a day, you get very used to it very quick--hope you weren't a modest person before, because after TDCJ gets through with you, you might as well be an exhibionist (cant spell that word--hope you get the gist). then you get marched back to your dorm and scramble to get rid of all of your contraband--empty water bottle from commissary is contraband and will be trashed by the guards. then the dreaded wait time--you can only hope that you are one of the last dorms--usually the co's are so tired of doing the shakedowns by that time that they rush through your property and the dorm and it goes much quicker that way, plus you can maybe fare out with more of your property at that point. and everything that was posted earlier about dragging your property to whereever--well that is different on every unit. At Sanchez--all you have to do is go to the rec yard behind your assigned building.

from an ex-offender's point of view, some of the guards are cool--they understand that they are there for a job and that job is to ensure the "safety" of the inmates--other CO's take their job too seriously--as if they think they are an officer of the court there to ensure a continued punishment--they do this by their demeaning talk--treating us like dogs instead of human beings. Yes we are in prison, but we are still human beings and you F**** A**** CO's with an attitude need to remember that. (stepping off soapbox right now )

I couldn't agree more. I especially enjoyed the stale bread and half rotten hard boiled eggs in the Johnnies at the end of the week. Also, We got no TV and our showers were once every THREE days at best. That was at Hutchins; Dawson was just as bad. Some CO's DEF took great pleasure in being the distributors of "punishment" to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExTexmate For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 PM

That sucks..... My bf has not answered me when I have ask if he has went through this, guess maybe it is better he spare me the details. It just makes me mad that they are treated so inhumane during this time... ugh I am getting mad just thinking about it.

LIFE IS GREAT!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MissingGreg For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Default ITs all Part of The Game People

shakedowns are for the safety of the inmates as well as the officers. Yes its a royal pain the arse humiliating, degrading, and nine million other adjectives.

think of this as a positive note. if the shakedowns didnt occurr, and one of your family members were shanked, you would welcome the property search and shakedown.

You learn a few things from the military and the prison, dont collect junk, and dont come attached to "stuff". I had my pillow, my bed clothes my shoes and my school books, all of this was provided to me by the prison system. i didnt collect family pictures or any other burdens. I read my mail, tore it up and flushed it after i had answered it. There is a huge difference between an inmate and a convict. I will not get into that at this time. but just know that. This is not summer camp, these people who work in prisons are most likely very unemployable, they, in most cases despise their job, and its their mission to make every convicts and inmates life just as miserable as theirs is.

So ladies think about this when you are sending your man stuff in the mail. The more you send, the more they have to tote down the stairs and across the gym floor. Keep it to a minimum on what is sent, and encourage them not to be pack rats.

Each time i have been released from prison, everything i had and i mean everything, other than the schoolbooks, went directly into the trash can. I didnt arrive with anything, and i didnt depart with anything.

Texas in a Nutshell:
Go on Vacation
Leave on Probation
Return on Violation
Sentenced on Revocation
Staying for the Duration

Don't Mess With Texas

later,
DosDawg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dosdawg For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011), phanks (10-25-2008), ShaadGyrl (10-29-2008)
Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
FOREVER 100,FOREVER TRUE
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacee
I really resent the female guards in the male units!! My son says that the females stand and stare as the inmates use the toilet facilites-six that are lined up along a back wall. They yell at them to "get off the crapper". He is in a "non-violent" group, low keyed and quiet. Looking forward to this nightmare being over. I hope he will get his life together when his out again!
Not all the females guards are like this. I know when I was there, I would walk all the way around if one was using the bathroom. I was told first and foremost I was a lady and a officer second. I treated them like men with respect and demanded the same in return. I always said thank you and I appreciate that, at first they would look at me like I was stone crazy, but once they got use to me, they would respond the same. You know they miss simple things like good morning, and I know when I would first say it, sometimes they wouldn't respond, but like I said after they got use to me, they would say good morning back. That's one way I knew that environment wasn't for me.

It is what it is...........
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRWNIS For This Useful Post:
hyrpwrd91 (06-04-2010), keith74mom (07-24-2011), phoenixisrisen (12-24-2010), richsgirl_4life (09-07-2008), Texas CO (10-31-2008), TXGURL (09-05-2008)
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Donation Award 

Default Lady Guards

Brownis I appreciate your response to that post and I just now today saw it. It is so refreshing to see that even though you are in a really difficult and "testy" environment you are able to be respectful of not only these men, but more especially to yourself. You obviously were raised well and care about the feelings of other human beings. I applaude you for that. I do appreciate you and hope my son is fortunate enough to have guards around him such as you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kacee For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Donation Award 

BRWNIS, I second what Kacee said!
I, too, appreciate you--
Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon's Wife For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 AM
FOREVER 100,FOREVER TRUE
Donation Award 

You both are very welcome, but, I was raised that even a dog is due a hello, (not saying they were dogs) but my day started every morning at 5:30 and we would have to go into the dorms to check to make sure they were still alive, and to make sure they were basically okay, and I was taught that if I walk into your space I am suppose to speak, they are not inhuman, they just made bad decisions, but who hasn't, I was taught by my daddy that the only reason people go to jail is because, "they got caught", and you know if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. But, you are very welcome.

It is what it is...........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRWNIS For This Useful Post:
GraysonMom (09-04-2008), hyrpwrd91 (06-04-2010), keith74mom (07-24-2011), richsgirl_4life (09-07-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
4 MONTHS 2 GO!!

Once Again I Had No Idea. I Wonder Why He Doesnt Tell Me?

always keep your eye on tha prize!
FREEDOM

Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 PM

same here my sweetie said tha only thing they offered them in harris county was air hes also at a transfer unit in huntsville and says its much like college...i pray for him day in and day out...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I do not write the rules!

Thanked 2,073 Times in 644 Posts

Funniest thing about lockdowns is the offenders always know when they are going to be before the COs do.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLAXDAD View Post
Funniest thing about lockdowns is the offenders always know when they are going to be before the COs do.
I wonder why??? I don't know about all units but brother's unit went on lockdown at 8:00 PM Monday night...TWO hours after it was announced on the 6 PM news.

I'm a Proud Big Bro of a
UNITED STATES MARINE
SEMPER FI!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I only enforce policy!

Cool

Quote:
We have two female bosses and they made no attempt to leave the room even though an additional 4 bosses (males) were brought in to help in the job.

Unfortunately it is not our (female CO's) decision whether we stay or leave during a strip search, it is policy. It does not matter how many women are present, the ratio of offenders to CO's is what decides this. I personally do not like to watch the strip searches and would prefer to be somewhere else but when the brass tells you to do something and it is within the structure of the policy then we have to do it!

As for Envelopes, stamps etc being used as money in prison that is correct, this is why it is in policy to have your name and number on all envelopes. Most put a stamp on an envelope then write name and number on the inside of the flap. This takes care of the stamps and envelopes. And it keeps other offenders from using them as bargaining chips and threatening the safety of your loved ones.

Shakedowns are common in TDCJ and all offenders must endure this, as well as all CO's....we do not like it anymore than the offenders but we do it to control the amount of property an offender has and to control the amount of contraband in the facility. Imagine if your loved one had to live in a small cell with someone that is a pack rat.....it is hard to keep clean and tidy and brings unwanted attention from the CO's.

This is just my point of view.......
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM
oFFICIALLY wIFeY stATUs!!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...82#post4116782

Here is a link to a thread my husband wrote a letter 10-29-08 during the Statewide TX lockdown. i was amazed at what they feed my Baby

The Following User Says Thank You to ShaadGyrl For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (07-24-2011)
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Melinda1

Default bad old food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaadGyrl View Post
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...82#post4116782

Here is a link to a thread my husband wrote a letter 10-29-08 during the Statewide TX lockdown. i was amazed at what they feed my Baby
Don't be amazed, during hurricane ike, my son said they were given a piece of stale bread w/ peanut butter, then next day bread and a slice of hard cheese, next day, bread and something like a sardine, next day they were without food, the warden had someone go to the the area schools and get the food from their kitchens whatever they could find. by the way, this was a MANDATORY evacuation, of which, they were not evacuated.
the water they drank for 2 wks was salty and very discolored. Is this humane??? NO
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 AM
I only enforce policy!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywpaint View Post
My son is in John R Lindsey State Jail, he said they were in lockdown all last week. He told me they had to stay on their beds, had sandwiches all 3 meals. He also said they were told if they did not do exactly as told they would be gassed. The jailers told them that if they gassed them they just shot the gas in their dorm and walked away for about 45 min. Then they would come back and check them. If they died during this they just died. One of the inmates said you could be sued for this, to which the jailer replied we have been sued before. I can't imagine have to live like this. It sounds like the holocaust but in America. How did our government and the judical system get so much control? When will they come up with some new laws to put more of us in prison?

I work in a prison here is Texas and I can tell you that you cannot believe everything you hear or read.....as for jails???? That is a separate entity.

I do know that when I go to work I deal with the offenders as much respect as they show me and I try never to take any dignity away from them.....I will however show an unruly offender that I mean business when he is causing a disturbance, but I always try to "talk" before I act!

Offenders are people, the same as you and me...the only difference is that they may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time, made some seriously flawed decisions or associated with the wrong crowd...have we not all been guilty of at least one of those same things?

I also know that when one offender tells me something I do not necessarily take what they say for "truth", I do however store it away under "information = not verified"....I do not know anymore than anyone else who is telling me the gospel truth, and that also goes for when another CO tells me something.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 AM
I only enforce policy!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw_dallas View Post

Wow, I undertand exactly what you are talking about, although from the perspective of a CO that believes my job is to ensure the inmates safety while incarcerated, not to be the Judge, Jury etc....Thank you for sharing.