Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Round 2

Extreme Caution, I know this is 6 months later to answer your question, however, the answer is NO. TIS does not affect this situation. The laws that were in place AT THE TIME THE CRIME WAS COMMITTED are what affect the sentencing. It makes NO difference when your sentenced. Just when the crime was committed. I would suggest researching what sentencing guidelines were in affect at the commission of the crime. Good luck And sorry so late to answer.

Stacy
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Ex-Inmate never Ex-Con

The key word is COMMITTEE...

The english translation od this "political" term is...

We dont want to mess with it, so we will place it in committee where we can say we are doing something with it, however we are so busy we have not gotten to it.

or more plain...

We are putting in indefinatley on the back burner.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Every piece of legislation goes thru a committee before it's sent to the floor for debate and vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Forget View Post
The key word is COMMITTEE...

The english translation od this "political" term is...

We dont want to mess with it, so we will place it in committee where we can say we are doing something with it, however we are so busy we have not gotten to it.

or more plain...

We are putting in indefinatley on the back burner.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 AM

Or until the state is so broke that we have no choice but to do something about it!

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....1/post_23.html

Dozens of business groups and reform advocates have proposed reducing the time felons spend in Michigan prisons. Current law requires them to serve 100 percent of minimum sentence. Granholm supports House legislation that would allow parole after serving about 85 percent.
“The length of stay for Michigan prisoners needs to be reduced so it is comparable with that of other inmates in other states imprisoned for ‘like’ crimes,” she said.
New policy that is accelerating parole for inmates who have served 120 percent of their sentences is already drawing fire from county prosecutors and Attorney General Mike Cox, GOP candidate for governor. "Decisions about releasing certain offenders should not be decided simply on budgetary matters,” Cox says.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 01-30-2010 at 08:51 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HOPE4FUTURE For This Useful Post:
greatful (02-06-2010), merrandr (01-30-2010)
Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Michigan prison families need to band together to contact our State legislature's to pass the Hb' 4497,4498,4499 soon. These bills re currently in the house judiciary committee waiting to be voted out. I perosnally have written to Govenor Granholm, My State Rep. My state senator , Rep George cushingberry who wrote the bills .to Rep Mark Meadows and Rep Andrew Kandreveras who are on the juduciary committee. I plan to keep it up until the bills are either passed or thrown out. If we all worked together to enlighten them as ot how we feel ant that it is not just a monitary issue.That this change would encourage inmates to be free of Misconducts in order to shorten their terms. These Bills are "A GOOD Thing"
Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM

How do I go about contacting the state with a supportive letter for the three bills? My bf is in prison right now and I'm scared to death to wait for his parole hearing .
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory1 View Post
How do I go about contacting the state with a supportive letter for the three bills? My bf is in prison right now and I'm scared to death to wait for his parole hearing .
If you look at the post above yours the date is 2010. Not sure what if any bills are in the house now but I am almost sure those bills aren't there. They were probably either voted against or just weren't picked up to even be voted on. Not sure what bills if any this session address that this year.