Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Tennessee Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Tennessee prisons.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Turney Center

Because each prison is a little different, I thought those of us with knowledge about phones, mail, visitation, quirky rules, etc. at a certain prison could post in each prison's thread to give new people some much needed information. Please post any information you have about TURNEY CENTER in this thread.

Thanks!
CindyinIN
AprilMY (01-07-2010), missinguntn (04-18-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM

Does anyone have a loved one at Turney and if so what can you tell me about this prison.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
In God's Time Not Ours

sorry don't know and very few people come in this forum maybe Cindy will be along soon.

edit didn't see her post right above yours guess she didn't know either, sorry

New Date 09/12/15

Last edited by See'ya Someday; 12-19-2007 at 10:58 PM..
Old 12-20-2007, 02:21 PM

I don't have much information about Turney Center. I will be seeing my brother this weekend, so I'll ask him if he knows anyone who's spent time there. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:25 PM

My son was in Turney Center about 7 yrs. ago. It seemed to be okay. We were treated nice when we visited. It's out in the country, near a small town named Only. No kidding. They have a prettier view outside to look at than in Nashville. He didn't say anything negative about it, but he doesn't complain to us because he knows we worry.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM

my husband has donly been at this facility a few months he has been to several other ones and had alot of problems and the staff at those facilities were only their for themselves i mean he were in sistuations that affected his life and they were not concerned iam very grateful that he was transfered so far this facility has been very helpful they listen to my concerns and give me advise so far iiam very please.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 PM

My husband is at turney center and it is very hard i love him with all my heart.but you know he takes alot of frustration out on me and wants me to stay at home alot and he is very jealous and it is so hard on me cause i live in lebanon its hard to get down their all the time he just dont understand that and i dont have any friends and the ones that i do have dont understand why iam waiting on him you know its real hard so if their is someone elese in this situation please give me some advise he has beemn locked up for one 19months i really love him with all my heart.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM

The staff at turnry ceneter seem to be very nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM

My husband has only been at turney center a few months he seems to be adjusting very well i just hope that he dont have any problems at this facility.and its not just the facility i know that he has to put effort in as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 AM

My husband has been in several different facilities some facilities guards are paid to turn their head i what iam trying to say at other facilities if inmates wanting to gang another inmate if the price was right they would turn their head and not do anything about it i hope that this facility is differnt i hope that they are concerned about the inmates well being.that really the main thing i worry about ever day of my life and thats my husband safety.I hope that the good things i have heard a bout turney center is correct.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM

Default gratitude

I thik that it is great that they allow several family members to visit some facilities only allow 3 to 4 but they allow 8 to 10 which is so much eaiser on us cause we live several hours away and we can all ride together and we can all go into visit together we dont have to cut it short or split up.and i also found that the staff at turney center were very comforting i had a real depression visit a few weeks ago and i was very upset mentally and the guards try to comfort me and they took the time to explain a few things to me were i would know how to handle certain situations .Thank you Turney Center Staff.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:26 AM

Question

I will be making my first visit out to Turney Center, as soon as mine gets his visits back. Its nice to hear those of you talking the positive stuff about Turney Center. I have known about other facilities, but I hadnt e4ven heard of this one until he got put there. He has been there for three years now, and I finally get to go visit in a few months. I am nervous about seeing him after so long, and I had he hasnt seen me since he left the facility here, and I was pregnant at the time. So if anyone can tell me about how visits work there i would apreciate it. I know everything except what its actually like when you get there to visit. Take care of yourselves and your family!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Still Wifey

My husband was at the Turney Center for 2 years 2000-2002. The staff was very nice. In the summer time you can visit outside and bring picnic coolers and even grill. The only thing that my made me uncomfortable were the PDA's. Public Displays of Affection if you know what I mean.
That puts a lot of pressure on a girl
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Default Turney Center

Hi everyone. I just joined a few days ago. My husband is at Brushy Mountain right now and has been classified for the past three weeks. He was told he will be going to Turney Center. I live in the Chattanooga area so that is still quite a drive for me. But hopefully it will be better for him.

(Another) Cindy
Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Default wondering

why is it that the tdoc website says almost nothing about the turney center? my fiance has been incarcerated for 10 months now and is also currently at brushy mountain waiting to go to turney. our daughter is only 4 1/2 months old and he's facing another year to 2 in prison. how do i deal with this? i live in athens. and i am also just wanting to know more about this prison.

Last edited by mushystar1; 05-10-2008 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: adding something
Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM

Anyone left with someone in TCIP? My fiancee has been there for 2 yrs.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Smile My dad is at the Turney Center Annex

My dad is at the Turney Center Annex and I have to say that of all the prison that I have visited him at this is the best one. And I have been to alot of prisons to visit him. I am 23 years old and most all my memories with my father are at prison visits. He has had a big problem with hard drugs (heroin) my whole life and it has resulted in one sentence after the other. He has been in prison almost 2 years now and it going to dissolve his sentence in Feb of 09. He has been at Northeast, Northwest, and for about 5 months now Turney center this go round. I like Turney Center because you can visit on Saturday and Sunday and if you cannot make it on the weekend you can visit on Monday evening which is nice. And at the annex you can grill out year round alternating days, like this weekend we can grill out on Sunday and next weekend it will be Saturday. I have a 2 year old daughter and she has sooo much fun playing with Papaw on the playground that they have for the kids. It is way better than any other prison kids area I have seen. My dad likes it okay. It has been really easy for him to get on work crews that he likes unlike other prisons. And the staff is really nice not always on your case. Check in is smooth, I think because it is a small prison. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM

Mine is also there are you getting married there? Can anyone tell me about getting married there?

Last edited by MICHELLE001; 11-18-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Turney Center

I spent 16 years there at Turney Center.As far as having to do time, with no other choice, all in all, Turney Center is a pretty good prison to be in , if you have to do time. I was in arts and crafts and because of the work I did in this program, I was able to smoke marlboros and drink tasters choice coffee. I pretty much had what ever I needed or wanted that was legal because I played by the rules, and believe me I knew the rules really well.If I had to do time again, I'd try to get back to Turney Center.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Triscuiter Extraordinaire

I have a half sister who works there, my step dad is a corporal there and my real dad retired after 30 years there last year.
Then I married a parollee.
LOL!!

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Triscuiter Extraordinaire

Did something happen at Turney today?

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Mushroom View Post
Did something happen at Turney today?
I saw on the 6:00 channel 4 news that a guy was stabbed there today. I believe they said on the grounds. They showed a picture. A white guy. That's all I've seen. They didn't show it again on the 10:00 news. That's all I caught of it. Don't know if he lived or not. Something may be in the Nashville Tennessean tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Odd mushroom, I looked on channel four news site & found the stabbing. It killed the
guy.32 yr. old Daniel Whalen. He was fount outside a cell around 7:30 this a.m
Old 03-20-2009, 04:31 AM

Unhappy

oh that is so sad that place has always been well known for its stabbings but i dont think its as bad as it use to be
Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM

They have identified the killer, a 24 year old guy out of Knox County.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../90320036/1017

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superdreamATM For This Useful Post:
Odd Mushroom (03-20-2009), Shellybee (03-20-2009)