Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 PM

Question help to get husband paroled from MS to Georgia

I recently moved to Georgia, but my husband is incarcerated in Mississippi. He received a life sentence with the possibility of parole. He went up for parole a couple of months ago and was denied because of insufficient time served and community opposition. He has been locked up 11 years and at the time, he was trying to get paroled back to our home town (his mother's home) in Mississippi. (We thought this would be a better idea since I was in another state.) Now, people are telling me that we should have tried to get him paroled here to Georgia, but I don't know how. He goes back up for parole in 30 months and I want us to have everything in place for him to possibly come to Georgia. Can someone please help me or tell me who I can contact or tell me what I need to do at this point.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2005, 11:40 AM

Location: Originally Maine, then MA, NY and now back in New Englad area

He has to apply for an Interstate Transfer through MS to GA. If he is granted parole he speaks to his caseworker or PO and if they are willing to allow him to apply they do the paperwork. GA investigates and has to accept him if he meets the transfer criteria.

Searcher

Last edited by Searcher; 12-02-2005 at 11:41 AM..
Old 12-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Before he can apply for the interstate transfer he must first secure a verifiable job, and have a verifiable residence. You can beging to try to locate someone that will hire him, and also put it in writing. These are great tools to forward to him so he can furnish these issues to the parole board for his next hearing. I would also suggest that you gather friends and familiy support letters. This always helps. Rember the parole boards are influenced by community support and this never hurts to have your ducks in a row. I am not certain as to the procedure to either send these letters to him for him to produce or if you can contact the institution and ask for parole division. They will best advise you as to the criteris. Sometimes they do not accept anything from an inmate so be sure to do this. Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:28 PM

Location: Originally Maine, then MA, NY and now back in New Englad area

Lets keep this clear Interstate Travel is ONLY if he gets parole if he does than, to be paroled to another state all he needs in regards to the Interstate Transfer is being a residence of the state or a family member who is a residence and who either can show the means to support the offender or the offender has a job (if he meets the other minor criteria). I took your original post as a question about Interstate Travel/Transfer and that’s all I addressed. As to parole, parole is a generic issue that is different from board to board’ county to county’ state to state. Keep this in mind when people offer advice with parole questions.

Searcher