Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > Formby State Jail - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Formby TX State Jail in Plainview, Texas - need general info

I was just hoping to get some information about Formby. My brother was just moved there and will be there for about 10 months. I would really appreciate anything you all could tell me.

Thanks,
his_bigsister
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 PM

My fiancee is serving his time at Formby. It's OK. The guards are nice to me and if I have any questions they're willing to answer them for me. If you visit him you should get a contact visit. Take a lot of change so you can buy him food and drinks from the vending machine. My fiancee hasn't had any problems with the guards or other inmates.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 PM

Thank you so much for replying. And thanks for letting me know to bring lots of change I plan on visiting him soon.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Question anyone else haev a loved one in formby?

my hubbys in formby unit still and i am lookin for someone that has aloved one in there...anyone?? please let me know thanks..Tifferz
Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 AM

Post Marshall Formby State Jail Info

The Formby unit in Plainview, Tx is a fairly new unit and the visitation area is better than some of the ones that I have seen. The inmates are not as bored and are allowed to work outside in the vegetable gardens, at the Plainview Country Club and various other places in Plainview. The facility is located on the east side of Plainview, just directly south of the Wheeler uniton Hwy. 70. The inmates feel being transfered to Wheeler is a step-up. However, I felt a lot more comfortable visiting at the Formby Unit. All visitation at Formby is contact, which is not true at Wheeler. Any questions, please feel free to ask. I have been visiting at both units every Saturday or Sunday for almost a year now. Thanks'N'Regards, vcross
Old 09-16-2006, 08:29 AM
CUNNINGHAM

My 14 Month Old Will Finally Meet His Daddy. I Always Say Now Faith,Family,Friends.

Last edited by crossd73; 09-16-2006 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 AM
JoshSadLilMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcross
The Formby unit in Plainview, Tx is a fairly new unit and the visitation area is better than some of the ones that I have seen. The inmates are not as bored and are allowed to work outside in the vegetable gardens, at the Plainview Country Club and various other places in Plainview. The facility is located on the east side of Plainview, just directly south of the Wheeler uniton Hwy. 70. The inmates feel being transfered to Wheeler is a step-up. However, I felt a lot more comfortable visiting at the Formby Unit. All visitation at Formby is contact, which is not true at Wheeler. Any questions, please feel free to ask. I have been visiting at both units every Saturday or Sunday for almost a year now. Thanks'N'Regards, vcross
I was told all visits at Wheeler were contact visits. I was going to go try to see my man and take our new baby for him to meet but its over 500 miles from home and if not contact, not sure I want to make the trip with a newborn. Any info is appreciated
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Exclamation Visits at Formby

I go every chance i get to visit my hubby at formby and not all visits are contact. you have to be married or a mother to their children to get contact thats if they let you or approve you. Or unless your family then you get contact. other than that you have to get approved. its a tuff deal to get approved if you dont have any relationship. I wish ya luck cuz i only get contact cuz we have two kids together..Tifferz
Old 02-20-2007, 11:09 AM
CUNNINGHAM

Default Dear.......

I think about him everyday.I take things one day at a time.I want to go visit every weekend but that is not possible. The visits we have had are special. He is still in Plainview,TX., that is about 5 hours. I just care for that man. I have his now 19mth old boy. I never thought I would be in this type of siuation. I have learned alot. I know how I feel. God has a plan. I wish I could work my computer more,Ha-Ha.... I get stuck alot. I would reply more, really.Till next time. Rebecca and Dylan, I want to post photos,help...
Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM

I have a loved one at Formby We are planning on getting married when he gets out. If we are engaged do we get contact visits or no?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

I have a loved on in Formby Unit. We are planning on getting married when he gets out. I love him so much. If we are engaged do we get contact visits or no?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
God is Truly Great!

No. You must be actually married for contact visits, unless you are at Dawson.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:42 PM

do you need to take proof of marriage to a jail facility??? how do they know you are married or can you just say you all are married even though you all are not? please let me know!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
babybo$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommatifferz View Post
my hubbys in formby unit still and i am lookin for someone that has aloved one in there...anyone?? please let me know thanks..Tifferz
My fiancee is doing his time in formby unit also he has been there for about one month, i just got out of the county two days ago. i am all the way in houstone, and i miss him like crazy it is so different out here without him. some how when we were both locked down i still felt closer, now im free and i feel lonley i am praying i will be able to make it to the west asap to visit him i know we both need it
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM
june13

hi I live here in plainview my brother is in gatesville i am here for all of you if you need a friend
Old 12-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Son in Formby

My son was just transferred to Formby recently. I dont know a lot about the jail/prison system and could use some visitation info and if he will be able to call at all.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM

At Formby the visit is pretty laid back. I have actually been trying to get out to Plainview for awhile now. My husband started out at Formby and is now in Wheeler. Anywhoo...Visit is from 8-5, you have to be on his list (you can call the unit and find out if you are or not at 806-296-2448), take plenty of change for snacks or sodas, and sometimes they do pictures for $3.00.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Info

Are the inmates allowed phone calls at all?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:33 AM

I think the get one 15 minute call every 90 days. But they can only use if if someone is available to monitor it for them. Most don't even bother with it. Luckily the phones are supposed to be getting here soon. I just hope mine will get home before then.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Sidney

Just wondering how visitation works if you have a common law marriage...will I be able to have a contact visit? (He's at Formby) I don't know if I need to bring proof or what!?! It's almost 700 miles away so I don't want to get there and find out I forgot some little thing! Thanks for the help : )
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Sidney

I meant to say it's almost 7 hours away- not 700 miles!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM

Hey Sidney... If he has listed you as his wife/common law wife then you will be able to have contact visits. Since you are here in Dallas you can have one special visit a month. I usually call by Wednesday and let them know. That gives you a 4 hour visit Saturday and Sunday. Plus you can visit any weekend for 2 hours for one day if you don't do the special. All you need is your Drivers License, and a bunch of quarters for the vending machines. They used to do pictures but they haven't in awhile now. They will search your car going in and out, and they will make you take off your shoes and do a pat search going in. My husband was in Formby but now he is in Wheeler next door, I have to say the COs in both places are really nice. You can call anytime during the day and ask if you are on his list already and if you tell them you are his wife you might ask if there is anything you need to take other than you DL. We were common law when he got there and I didn't have to take anything, but you just never know.
I hope that helps... FYI...it's more like a 5 to 5 1/2 hour drive, and it's 700 miles round trip. I think that's what you meant, but just in case. I make about 5 1/2 and I stop about 2 times for a stretch and gas.

Last edited by tkn2dalimit; 01-05-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Sidney

Thank you so much! That really helps me out!! Now all I need is to get a ride out there (my car just got hit so it's in the shop for awhile).
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM

We just had a special visit this past weekend. I am trying to get out there again on the 24th or the 25th I am not sure just yet. Ususally I have to rent a car, and sometimes I carpool with others and we just split the expenses. Let me know if you are interested...right now it is just me and another lady. I do have one other girl who said she was interested in going too, but hasn't really said much since. The drive is long and costly, so any help is always appreciated.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Sidney

I am very interested in going! I could help out with gas costs....or if I get my back- I'm more than happy to drive! Would it all be done in one day or do you stay the night??