Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Default How to obtain trial transcripts

Does anyone know how to obtain someone's trial transcripts?
If so, please let me know.

forever in love

Keeping it real club #24

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 06:09 PM

I would like to know the answer to that to .I hope someone can tell us .
Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM
one lucky woman

Here in NY they are filed at the county records building, and/or can be purchased through the stenographer (expensive)

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 11-23-2005, 07:20 PM
LOVE U DADDY ALWAY!

They charge you by the page so it can be very expensive..

Hold fast to dreams,

for if dreams die,

life is a broken winged
bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,068 Posts

If the transcript has been made, it is possible that it is in the court file and you could read it for free. If it has already been transcribed, it costs but much less than if you are the first person requesting it. I guess it can run into the thousands if it was a long trial. The criminal clerk at the courthouse can help you figure this out.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:19 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,151 Times in 6,850 Posts

here in wv, if you are the person on trail, you get one copy of each court date free, for yourself, now if someone else was to want a copy or the person wants another one they charge, per court date, if under 100 pgs, anything over there is an extra charge, you go the court house where it was held and talk to the court reporter, he/she has to get it to you.

the only reason i know this is my hubby to be and i just got a copy of his and it was free to him. it took ffoorreevveerr !!!! so hope your not in a hurry!
hope this helps alittle.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:03 PM

This is a case from 1979 in Ohio.
I'm sure that I am not the first person to ask for it.
I've got copies of the appeals transcripts when I was doing my paralegal degree. (Because I did it for an assignment)
I am trying to get ahold of them for my MIL.

forever in love

Keeping it real club #24

Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 PM
DJ's Angel

You should be able to go to the county in which the trial was held and obtain a copy for the inmate, if his attorney did not get one from the courts for him. If it is for your own use then contact the attorney and ask if you supplied paper and paid for toner/ink, if they would make you a copy from theirs. This should be a lot cheaper than purchasing it from the court clerk's office. Most of the time it is somewhere between .25 cents and .75 cents per page. That does not really sound like a lot but when you have a three volume transcript with somewhere between 250 and 500 pages per volume it can get really costly. Good luck.

PLEASE DO NOT KILL IN MY NAME!

I'd rather live in his world
Than live without him in mine.

Pamela
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM

We are in Caifornia, don't know if it makes any difference, but we had our son write a letter to his attorney and have the transcripts released to us. We also ask for all evidence, all videos, paperwork and photos. The imate has rights to all of this to fight his case.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicomom
We are in Caifornia, don't know if it makes any difference, but we had our son write a letter to his attorney and have the transcripts released to us. We also ask for all evidence, all videos, paperwork and photos. The imate has rights to all of this to fight his case.
You can get the attorney's file; although there could be some copy costs. (The attorney has to cross out all victim and witness contact information. Things like financial records can be extensive in certain sorts of cases.) The defendant owns the file. Warning: no copy need be retained. You'll have the defense originals. That includes tapes, DVDs, and photos.

If the case has been appealed, a trial transcript was already done. If teh case went to Preliminary Hearing, teh transcript for that was alreaddy done. It's a lot less expensiv eto buy a copy from teh court reporter (who owns the rights to teh transcripts) than if it hasn't yet been transcribed from shorthand.
If it's in teh court file, you can read it without buying it. If you get lucky, an ignorant court clerk might copy the transcript at the per page rate (but they aren't supposed to.)
If there is an apellate attorney, that attorney can provide him with a copy of the transcript.
The trial attorney would have a copy of the PX transcript.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Johns Wife Forever

the county that the trial was in will have the paperwork, it is very expensive ... it is cheaper to get it from your pal (usually they have a copy of it)
Old 01-05-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_angel
here in wv, if you are the person on trail, you get one copy of each court date free, for yourself, now if someone else was to want a copy or the person wants another one they charge, per court date, if under 100 pgs, anything over there is an extra charge, you go the court house where it was held and talk to the court reporter, he/she has to get it to you.

the only reason i know this is my hubby to be and i just got a copy of his and it was free to him. it took ffoorreevveerr !!!! so hope your not in a hurry!
hope this helps alittle.
It is free only if the inmate is indigent. Is not free to everyone. Is super expensive in fact. We had to pay well over $3,000 for Doc's transcripts!

The writer says the case is old and she wants it for her MIL. I'd ask the inmate, as he should have a copy of it. The attorney can't give a copy to just anyone. He'd have to have the inmate's written approval and go through proper procedure. I'd tell MIL to contact the Clerk of Courts and ask what the charge would be. If way too high, is there a way you could get the inmate's copy? Maybe he can give it to his mother when she visits OR he could ask the prison to send it to her and deduct cost of postage from his account? That would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Does the inmate approve of his mother having it??
Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered member

Personally, though I already had copies from my husband, I simply wrote/typed a letter to the court and requested the transcripts. I made it simple and to the point. Didin't give them much info on who I was or why I wanted them. I don't recall a charge at all for those. Subsequent inquiries to a previous criminal charge & copies of my husband's medical records, however, required payment per page. Perhaps, as everything else within our justice system, it all depends on who is working that day and what their 'mood' is. ?
If you know the court and case no. you SHOULD be able to obtain the records fairly easily. A 'letter' can do a LOT of good.
-Mrs. T

..."she has blisters on the soles of her feet...she can't walk, but she's trying"...

Living by your wants will never make you happy...what it means to be fully human is to strive to live by ideas and ideals...and NOT to measure your life by what you've attained in terms of your desires, but by those small moments of integrity, compassion, rationality...even self-sacrifice.
Because in the end, the only way we can measure the significance of our lives is by valuing the lives of others.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:27 AM

Find the cheapest source possible...
I have had to pay $3 a page in the past

I think it is terrible they charge so much and I also think it limits a persons access to the courts.