Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Post Divorce

Divorce is not a problem while incarcarated. If you would give a little more information on your friends location (state, county) I could probably guide you to most of the information that he would need . You need not post his information her in an open fourm. You cn get a hold of me through PM.

Last edited by Patrickj; 04-06-2007 at 09:36 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
Determination 1 (10-24-2008), ms lil missy 7 (02-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 PM

does anyone know how to get a divorce in georgia .
my boyfriend is trying to file for a divorce so we can get married but we can't find out anything and i don't have the money for a lawyer.
can anyone help me. he is in a correctional facility right now .
Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Exclamation Michigan Divorce Needed From WV Prison

I hope this gets looked at amongst the other hundreds of threads, but I wanted to know if anyone can provide me with information on how my friend can get a divorce in Michigan even though he is at Beckley in West Virginia. I have not had any luck on initiating this process and i don't want to get in over my head in financial debt for something that can be done at minimal cost. Please can anyone help?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Divorce and distribution of property

My cousin is in a CA prison. His wife just informed him that she wants a divorce and wants to sell their house and move out of state. They currently own a house is San Diego and it has appreciated significantly. She currently has a Durable Power of Attorney, but I'm advising my cousin to get it revoked. How can my cousin make sure that he gets his fair share of the equity? Also, would it be cheaper if my cousin filed for the divorce and signed a fee waiver? Lastly, if he filed for divorce, could he somehow get the court involved to oversee the real estate distribution of funds?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

I'm also selling my house in California. Since he is being sentenced to prison he will not be able to stop me, benefit from anything we owned together or have any say so about what I make off the closing. My lawyer tells me they have no rights in prison...just telling what I have learned thru my ordeal. sokie
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Angry divorce

Hi
my son is in prison in belmont and he just got served with divorce papers.We dont know what to do.He has a son and doesnt want to lose him. can any one help us.
dansmom24
Old 04-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansmom24
Hi
my son is in prison in belmont and he just got served with divorce papers.We dont know what to do.He has a son and doesnt want to lose him. can any one help us.
dansmom24

Here is a link to Ohio's on line documents click section XXXl and read the section on divorce. At the present time this is the only help I can provide. Due to the fact I am swamp with divorce requests for over 10 states right now. If I get a minute I will try and get you more information Here is the link http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC Start at chapter 3105 a nd start eading I will try and give you a little more direction in a bit

Last edited by Patrickj; 04-15-2007 at 01:13 PM..
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Hi
dansmom24

Dansmaom24:

If you would send me the county in which your sone resides in. I think I can get you more information to assit you, I have time now A few of the other that wanted divorce information didn't follow through with any other information. (nothing new )let me know through PM alright.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hi
dansmom24
I found you someomre information I will PM it to you so you can look at it .
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Account Closed

Yes i was just wondering if anyone knew, how a inmate could go about getting a divorce ( at no cost) and where he woudl have to get the paper work? he and his wife have been seperated for a long time but she has yet to give him a divorce, so he wanted to try and do it.
He is a friend of a friend, but i thought i'd atleast try to help him out some. he is in Alabama Donaldson ( west jefferson) prison.
thanks for any help
Old 04-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCharmer
Yes i was just wondering if anyone knew, how a inmate could go about getting a divorce ( at no cost) and where he woudl have to get the paper work? he and his wife have been seperated for a long time but she has yet to give him a divorce, so he wanted to try and do it.
He is a friend of a friend, but i thought i'd atleast try to help him out some. he is in Alabama Donaldson ( west jefferson) prison.
thanks for any help

Here is start for you here are the law about Marital and Domestic Realationship at this link click Title 30 then read chapter 2 http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm
Let me look at a few other thigs I will see if I can find forms and instructions for you. I will PM you with any further info.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj
Here is start for you here are the law about Marital and Domestic Realationship at this link click Title 30 then read chapter 2 http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm
Let me look at a few other thigs I will see if I can find forms and instructions for you. I will PM you with any further info.
Thank you very much!! i'll check into this in the morning!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Default How much does it cost for an inmate to get a divorce

I herd you can get a divorce in prison that only cost a dollar if anyone know any info on this please get back to me my email is email removed per pto policy .. I would greatly apreciate it
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM

I have heard that as well.................
Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Well if its anything like NY an inmate can file under "poor Person" and I really don't think theres a fee or its very minimal My man just filed.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Vanquished
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,575 Times in 2,177 Posts

Welcome PTO i moved your thread to the Prison lega help forum where you will get the answer you need
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaacc1
I herd you can get a divorce in prison that only cost a dollar if anyone know any info on this please get back to me my email is email removed per pto policy .. I would greatly apreciate it

If the person files for fee waiver due to their indgent status it will cost them nothing. This status will be verifyed trough the prison (if he has big money on his books he may not be granted this status) Most inmates are considerated indgent .
Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 PM

My friend is in Plainview prison here in Texas. His wife has been MIA since he got there, in December. Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need to send him so that he may file for divorce? Thanx!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Sticking-2gether-28

Plainviewgirl... The Internet Legal Resource Guide has some sample divorce forms that you may be able to use. Your best bet would be to go to the Clerk of Court in the county where the divorce would be filed and see if they have a forms packet. Often times the local clerk will have a packet that you can make copie of and then just fill in the forms. I am not sure what Texas law is, but here in Tennessee, if one spouse's whereabouts are unknown, the spouse filing for the divorce just has to run an ad in the newspaper notifying that they want a divorce and if nobody responds to it, then the divorce goes through, generally in favor of the person filing and it is over with. The Clerk of the local court is your best source for information, though.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-Family-28
Plainviewgirl... The Internet Legal Resource Guide has some sample divorce forms that you may be able to use. Your best bet would be to go to the Clerk of Court in the county where the divorce would be filed and see if they have a forms packet. Often times the local clerk will have a packet that you can make copie of and then just fill in the forms. I am not sure what Texas law is, but here in Tennessee, if one spouse's whereabouts are unknown, the spouse filing for the divorce just has to run an ad in the newspaper notifying that they want a divorce and if nobody responds to it, then the divorce goes through, generally in favor of the person filing and it is over with. The Clerk of the local court is your best source for information, though.
Thanks a bunch, I will look into the clerks office♥
Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Hi,
My name is Carrie and my husband is in jail for a sexual offence in Louisiana. I want a divorce and live in Florida. He said he thought it would be easier for him to file since he is in there. I thought due to the nature of his crime that might also make it easier. Any info would help.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairee31
Hi,
My name is Carrie and my husband is in jail for a sexual offence in Louisiana. I want a divorce and live in Florida. He said he thought it would be easier for him to file since he is in there. I thought due to the nature of his crime that might also make it easier. Any info would help.

Thanks
Cariree:

It might be eaiser for you to file in Florida , because you could get a default of judgement much eaiser. Do you and you husband have children between you. If you would rather discuss this manner in private PM (private message) me and I will show how this would work in FLorida for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainviewgirl
My friend is in Plainview prison here in Texas. His wife has been MIA since he got there, in December. Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need to send him so that he may file for divorce? Thanx!
My wife is Hobby and one of her friends in there has been trying to get a divorce for quite sometime now. Falls County, where Hobby is located, has decided that all of the inmates in there are "involuntary residents" of the county unless they were a legal resident of that county at the time of their arrest and incarceration. She lived in Travis County at the time and Travis is claiming that she is not a resident of their county and they do not have jurisdiction either. She finally just gave up and decided to wait until she gets out of prison to file for her divorce. It just depends on what county your friend is incarcerated in. For the most part they can file for their divorce themselves and it goes very simply. Other counties refuse to do it. You can get the paperwork online that he need from many different sources. He might have to have a proxy attend the court hearing for him, but is not a big deal.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
lucky1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrighan
Lately there have been quite a lot of "divorce from prison" questions in this forum. To that end, I am starting this thread and will stick it so there will be one thread dedicated to these questions.

All states have different procedures for filing for a divorce - keep in mind that it's no different whether someone is in prison or not. The best way to get the information you need is for your inmate to contact the clerk's office of the county they are in and request the paperwork and procedures. Some states will allow an inmate to file in forma pauperis (for free) while others do not.

Morrighan
Does anyone know how much it costs for someone to file for divorce while they are in prison. is it cheaper for them to file other than us.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1960
Does anyone know how much it costs for someone to file for divorce while they are in prison. is it cheaper for them to file other than us.

Most states a inmate can waive the fees if he doesn't have the funds on his books. Like I said most not all
Same thing applies to anyone if they don't have he funds to pay the file fees For people on the outside they can contact legal aid for free assistance on file for a divorce There are plenty of avenues to get a divorce especally uncontested divorce