Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 AM

My boyfriend is a state inmate in Sumner County Tn jail. He and his wife have been seperated for four years and he wants to get a divorce while he is in prison. He asked me to find out how to go about it and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about it. I will do whatever I need to do to help him get it. I have no idea how to even begin. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnababy83 View Post
My boyfriend is a state inmate in Sumner County Tn jail. He and his wife have been seperated for four years and he wants to get a divorce while he is in prison. He asked me to find out how to go about it and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about it. I will do whatever I need to do to help him get it. I have no idea how to even begin. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Well I'll give you a few link hereto some booklets that I feel are mandatory reading if a person is going to file a divorce in TN. on their own (pro-se) . Review the material then if you wish I'll discuss any questions that you may have and direct you if possible , so you can obtain information and answers. OK her is the link http://www.selegal.org/divorce%20self-help.htm Start reading the Represent Yourself? Then proceed down the list , choose which divorce type you think you wish to do .If both parties are in agreeances Uncontested is the route to go You state that he is in county jail is this where he is serving his state time at , or he is there pending another charge . Reason for this question is residency requirements.? If their are minor children involved in this divorce. This will make more issues fro the divorce process. See what you think about the information
Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM

He is serving his time here. He was sentenced to six years but only has to serve 30% of it. There are two minor children involved as well. His wife has expressed a desire at different times to get a divorce and then she will turn around and say she wants hime back so I'm not sure if she will sign uncontested. I told him he may just have to wait until he gets out and work on it then if we can't get something done right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Hello.. I'm new to this forum which by the way is great. Anyway, I am in Illinois and my husband is currently incarcerated in NY. He has agreed to a no fault divorce and we both want to make this just as fast and easy as it can be. We've already been through so much that we don't want to make it an ugly divorce. My question is do I only need to worry about following the guidelines in Illinois or since I will be sending the paperwork to him in NY are there certain guidelines that will need to be followed from that area. Hope this make sense and someone can help me out..

Thanks,
Sandra
Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morena82 View Post
Hello.. I'm new to this forum which by the way is great. Anyway, I am in Illinois and my husband is currently incarcerated in NY. He has agreed to a no fault divorce and we both want to make this just as fast and easy as it can be. We've already been through so much that we don't want to make it an ugly divorce. My question is do I only need to worry about following the guidelines in Illinois or since I will be sending the paperwork to him in NY are there certain guidelines that will need to be followed from that area. Hope this make sense and someone can help me out..

Thanks,
Sandra
Sandra:
Since it sounds like you will be the petitioner(one who is filing ) You will follow the guidelines of the state in which you reside IL. One other quick question here are there any minor children involved in this divorce. If so it just mean a few more papers to fill out and child custody matters and child support Review you states statues pertaining to divorce if you are going to do the divorce yourself (Pro-Se) Check with you local circuit court to see if they have a Self -Help section to assist you
Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Sandra:
Since it sounds like you will be the petitioner(one who is filing ) You will follow the guidelines of the state in which you reside IL. One other quick question here are there any minor children involved in this divorce. If so it just mean a few more papers to fill out and child custody matters and child support Review you states statues pertaining to divorce if you are going to do the divorce yourself (Pro-Se) Check with you local circuit court to see if they have a Self -Help section to assist you

Yes, there are two children involved. A 7 yr old and a 9 yr old. I will check with them. I appreciate your assistance with this. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are two children involved. A 7 yr old and a 9 yr old. I will check with them. I appreciate your assistance with this. Thanks.
I was doing some digging today about divorce in Illinois, Since you husband is out of state you can still get a divorce Child support and custody might raise an issue . nothing that can't be worked out under your husbands present situation. Have you read any materials on how to do a divorce in IL.? I can provide you with some links if you would like to review some of the procedures of obtaining a divorce. Plus some very good information to read even before you start the process. . If you would like these links just let me know. OK Here is one link you may want to review just for starters How To File For Divorce in Illinois
http://www.law.siu.edu/selfhelp/info/divorce/How%20to%20File%20for%20Divorce%20in%20Illinois.pd f
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM

I have a question my inmate is incarcerated in Elkton, OH and he has been trying to get a divorce from his wife for about 5 years. I have went as far as to file them in the Chicago area and had no luck. He made me power of attorney over his legal matters and she will not show up to court so they told us that he or she would have to show up to do the prove up. Well they will not move him to the court house for a hearing in OH and I have not been able to find a lawyer that will take the case. Is there something that we can do? They have not lived together for over 10 years and he just wants to end this part of his past and move on with his life. We have since lost contact with her. Please Help.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
I was doing some digging today about divorce in Illinois, Since you husband is out of state you can still get a divorce Child support and custody might raise an issue . nothing that can't be worked out under your husbands present situation. Have you read any materials on how to do a divorce in IL.? I can provide you with some links if you would like to review some of the procedures of obtaining a divorce. Plus some very good information to read even before you start the process. . If you would like these links just let me know. OK Here is one link you may want to review just for starters How To File For Divorce in Illinois
Thank you for this and yes I would appreciate it if you sent me the other links... thank you..thank you...thank you...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this and yes I would appreciate it if you sent me the other links... thank you..thank you...thank you...
Alright I'll send you the information in a private message, along with a link to the family law statues of your state
Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Post Getting Divorce w/children Texas

My Man; has 2 children. He wants to file for Divorce so he can gain some type of custody when he gets out in about 3-4 mo. Can he use the legal aide offered at Hightower, in Texas? He has a concern for his children safety as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Exclamation my boyfriend needs a divorce in texas, help!

My boyfriend is currently incarcerated in Texas, his wife pretty much abandoned him almost a year ago. We have met and fell in love and eventually one day want to be married. But I need help with information on him filing for divorce, because she refuses to divorce him! I have looked online to my wits end to find the forms and information about filing for divorce and getting it to go through since his ex won't sign the paperwork. Could anyone provide information, or steer me in the right direction? I am not in the same state as him so it is hard for me to talk to legal aid. Any help would be most appreciated! Please if you can! Thank you!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaslove View Post
My boyfriend is currently incarcerated in Texas, his wife pretty much abandoned him almost a year ago. We have met and fell in love and eventually one day want to be married. But I need help with information on him filing for divorce, because she refuses to divorce him! I have looked online to my wits end to find the forms and information about filing for divorce and getting it to go through since his ex won't sign the paperwork. Could anyone provide information, or steer me in the right direction? I am not in the same state as him so it is hard for me to talk to legal aid. Any help would be most appreciated! Please if you can! Thank you!

Here is a link that will provide you with form packages, along with showing you the different way of service for the state of Texas Also a fee waiver item listed here.
http://www.texaslawhelp.org/documents/clusters/TX/194/English/Index.shtml
Also check with the county in which your friend will be filing to see if there are any local forms or rules about these kind of matters. You may wish to review the Texas Statues, Family Law Chapter 6 http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ This should give you a very good idea on obtaining a divorce in Texas
Old 05-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you so much =)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Default I need to serve him with divorce papers

Hello everyone. My husband is at CCC in Susanville, CA. I am needing to serve him divorce papers and I don't know how to do it. Has anyone been through that process? Any help/advice I would really appreciate it
Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,384 Times in 8,015 Posts

If you have a lawyer, you should get his advice on how to do the proper service.
taylormadegrrl (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM

I agree. Call your lawyer and ask. Or find a divorce attorney that does free initial consultations and pick his/her brain.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormadegrrl View Post
Hello everyone. My husband is at CCC in Susanville, CA. I am needing to serve him divorce papers and I don't know how to do it. Has anyone been through that process? Any help/advice I would really appreciate it

The easiest way to serve an in mate is to send all paperwork to his counselor and have the counselor serve him Paper work that needs to be sent (min.) The Petition FL-100, Summons FL-110 If there are any children involved these forms also Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)FL-105/GC-120
Attachment to Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) FL-105(A)/GC-120(A) Proof of Service of Summons (Family Law, Uniform Parentage, Custody and Support) FL-115 Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt - Family Law FL-117 The counselor will sign teh FL-115 as the person who serves the paper work Make sure to provide envelope with postage so the counselor can return the form to you that how it is down Pretty close at least I didn't read everything off the paperwork did this off the top of my head Read the information her also on service to make sure I listed everything right read this five step guide in case I missed anything forms are also available at this site (free ) http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/guide.htm
Any other question get a hold of me OK

Last edited by Patrickj; 05-31-2010 at 08:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 PM

thank you so much!!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM

Default I wasnt served. What do I have to do? Or can I do nothing?

My Husband is in svsp in calif. He is angry at me and filed div. papers. He sent me a copy that has a "FILED" stamp on it. It says I have 30 days to respond, but I didnt get them until yesterday & only have few days left. (terible mail service) But I wasnt served. I just got in mail. Dont I need to be srved? What if I didnt get them at all? he didnt inclose any form for me to respond or send in for proof of reciept. We been married 16 years, and have two boys 13 & 15. It feels like it cant be this easy for him to do. What about child support orders for the future on release? I dont wana divorse. Im hopen all can work out, but am I on road to divorse anyways? Help, please. I dont know wat to do and leagal so expensive. i work, but gota suport boys. Any advice wuld b apriciated. God bless
Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-lady View Post
My Husband is in svsp in calif. He is angry at me and filed div. papers. He sent me a copy that has a "FILED" stamp on it. It says I have 30 days to respond, but I didnt get them until yesterday & only have few days left. (terible mail service) But I wasnt served. I just got in mail. Dont I need to be srved? What if I didnt get them at all? he didnt inclose any form for me to respond or send in for proof of reciept. We been married 16 years, and have two boys 13 & 15. It feels like it cant be this easy for him to do. What about child support orders for the future on release? I dont wana divorse. Im hopen all can work out, but am I on road to divorse anyways? Help, please. I dont know wat to do and leagal so expensive. i work, but gota suport boys. Any advice wuld b apriciated. God bless
Here is the procedure for service by mail If these steps weren't followed as they are written NO you weren't served . I notice one line in this Service by mail that doesn't sound like you and your husband I'll put it in bold red for you
Service by mail: If you and your spouse are cooperating on your family law case, and your spouse agrees to accept service by mail, this is the easiest and least expensive way to serve the papers.
Someone - not you - must mail copies of each of the forms you filed with the court, a blank Response-Marriage (form FL-120 ), 2 copies of the Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt - Family Law (form FL-117), and an envelope with first-class postage that is addressed to you.
The server must:
  • Be 18 or older,
  • Not be involved in your case, and
  • Fill out the Proof of Service.
Form FL-117 shows the court that your spouse received your forms. Your spouse must sign and date it and return it to you. If your spouse does not sign, date, and return this form to you, you must have him or her personally served with the forms.

If your husband sent you the forms directly then you were most definitely not served Take a look here and you can review the types of service accepted by the courts. Also How they must be done http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/step2.htm#proof
This next link is a 5 step guide to a Uncontested divorce in CA
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/guide.htm
Has some very good information on divorce. Now if you would P.M me exactly what forms you received I will try to explain what exactly what your husband is attempting here. With minor children involved he could come out on the short end of the stick if he isn't careful and under his present condition. By what you have written and reviewing Service by mail NO you haven't Served yet until you sign and date the form that must be returned At the link about Service explains also what else needs to be done . about Service You still hold the ball lol
Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Default G-Lady

Thank you Patrick, I sent a P.M. to you. It was the first one Ive sent, so I hope it reaches you.

G-Lady
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Anybody know about michigan divorces. my friend wants to divorce his wife while hes in charles egeler reception and guidance center.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Question Divorce in Jefferson Parish, LA HELP!!!

My Inmate started our divorce when he was in a LA prison. I was served the papers and we believe that because I didn't contest it all he now has to do is petition the court to rule a judgment. We can't seem to find any kind of form to do this and don't know if he can freehand write a request to the clerks office or if there is a document he needs to file. He originally filed in Nov. so we are way past the 180 days needed to be apart.

I don't think we need to hire a lawyer because it seems cut and dry. We both want it, we have no kids or any assets and have been apart for 5 years.

Bottom line is we need to find out if there is a specific form or format to be followed or if he can just send them a request. The Clerks office is NO help and have been rude as heck to me.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Question Divorce in Jefferson Parish, LA HELP!!!

My Inmate started our divorce when he was in a LA prison. I was served the papers and we believe that because I didn't contest it all he now has to do is petition the court to rule a judgment. We can't seem to find any kind of form to do this and don't know if he can freehand write a request to the clerks office or if there is a document he needs to file. He originally filed in Nov. so we are way past the 180 days needed to be apart.

I don't think we need to hire a lawyer because it seems cut and dry. We both want it, we have no kids or any assets and have been apart for 5 years.

Bottom line is we need to find out if there is a specific form or format to be followed or if he can just send them a request. The Clerks office is NO help and have been rude as heck to me.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!