Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: Pregnate Inmates: should they or should they not be allowed to keep there baby with t
yes-they should up to one year? 185 75.20%
no-they should have to give the baby to the state? 63 25.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2005, 03:05 AM
A Long Wait To Go...

Default Pregnant Inmates - should they be allowed to keep their baby with them

I know here in Washington State at the womens Prison at Purdy they do allow some women that are pregnate when they come in to have there baby and keep the baby with them for up to a year if they are of minimum custody and go through the training and parenting classes and other orientations. do other states have baby units in them as well. just curious.
how many of you think this is a good idea and good for both the mother and the baby?

Cass

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Boss

There are not any in Oregon that I know of.

I think they should be alowed to be with them up to at least 2-3 years old as long as their safety is ensured. The mother-child bond in infants and toddlers is irreplacable. I think being in prison with their Mom outweighs being out of prison without their Moms ,until socializing and school takes importance. In many countries, especially third-wrold, mothers can keep their infant young children with them.

Last edited by one_luv; 10-17-2005 at 03:57 AM..
Old 10-17-2005, 05:47 AM

They do not have that in Indiana that I know of. I really don't think they should either. If a woman is in prison she doesn't need to have a child. Prison is not a good place to raise a child.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Wage Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawns_baby
They do not have that in Indiana that I know of. I really don't think they should either. If a woman is in prison she doesn't need to have a child. Prison is not a good place to raise a child.
Prison may not be a particularly good place to raise a small child, but unfortunately it is better than many of the alternatives. If we are talking about a first time offender who is a single mom with a relatively short sentence to serve, I think that the benefits of keeping the baby with its mother outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

I think they should let the mothers keep the infant for a year. Not to be raised in prison, but let mother and child bond.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:52 PM
~Heather~

~I personally don't think they should be allowed to have them in there after a certain amount of time~A few years maybe~Hopefull the women are going to be out by then.~

The mildest, drowsiest sister has been known to turn tiger if her sibling is in trouble. ~Clara Ortega

Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
5/5/05/ -7/3/08 NO MORE

They Should Be Allowed Its Still Thier Baby

To relieze the value of a spouse
ask someone who doesn't have one

off 2 c the P.B.
Time waits 4 no one value every hour,min.,sec.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
reynaldosmami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillybee
I think they should let the mothers keep the infant for a year. Not to be raised in prison, but let mother and child bond.
I agree with you all the way!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:44 PM

they do not have it in indiana i know for a fact, but i do think they should let you because it is your child and you should have a right to raise it yourself if you have no record and don't have a long sentence
Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 PM

In Germany are prisons where the women are allowed to keep their children with them up to the age of 5 years, until they would have to enter school. Not all women are allowed, it depends on the sentence and the character of the women. The kids can attend a prison-owned kindergarden insight. So the kids still have contact to other kids. All women are accompanied through programms and social workers and youth welfare office.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 PM

I dont think prison is a safe place for a baby... However I do feel a baby should be with the mother. If mother and baby are separated at birth, then that will just add more heartache to an already bad situation (mom being locked up) It not only affects mom, but baby as well, and society. Mom and baby need that bonding time. Baby needs to know mom, and vise versa. However, prison isnt a healthy place for anyone, especially a baby... I think that there should be homes. When baby is born, baby stays with mom and they are transferred to a home. Still prison, but in a homelike setting with other incarcerated moms. It should focus on counselling, parenting, healthy choices, lifestyle ect... They should be able to stay there until mom is released, or until the child turns 2 (+/-) whichever comes first. This is just my opinion. Though Im sure theres flaws in it and its not for everybody. Just a thought I had. There should be a way though that baby and mom can stay together.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM

I think the mother should be allowed to have the child with them,it allows bonding which the child needs. If the mother is violent toward the child or it proves to be unsafe then it would be a no go
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Let Go And Let God

I think it should depend on the crime they are incarcarated for. not so much what level they are...but if it means the mother and child can bond I am all for it.

Nothing Changes if nothing changes.

FROG= Fully Relying On God!!

PUSH= Pray until Something Happens!!

finally coming home July 2010!!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM
~Always
Donation Award 

depending on the environment, is it safe and fit for an infant? if yes, I say yes.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 AM

Well I guess I will hear it from all sides, but I do not believe a mother should keep her infant in prison.
Here are my reasons: if the mother keeps the baby, say until one year, the two of them have made a bond. Then the infant is pulled away from the mom, this does no good and causes more harm to the infant.
Unless a mother is in for a short stay, and the baby can stay with the mom until she is released, then I would say yes.
Prison as we all know is not a safe place, disease, killings, fighting, I could keep on but you see where I am coming from.
If I was in prison and had an infant, I would not be selfish enough to have my baby live like that. Unless, like I said, the mother and baby could be together until release, in a seperate part of the prison, solely for moms and babies.
This is only my opinion, and is not to offend anyone.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:18 PM
A Long Wait To Go...

ok heres a little clerification about the program here in Wa for the inmate/child program. The following comes from the WCCW website and i will also post the link about the actual program.

RESIDENTIAL PARENTING PROGRAM
The Residential Parenting Program at Washington Corrections Center for Women is a collaborative effort between the Puget Sound Educational Service District and the Department of Corrections. There are several other nursery programs in the country, but this one is unique because it is the only one with an Early Head Start component. The program is designed to allow selected pregnant, Minimum custody inmates who give birth during their incarceration, to return to the institution with their infants where they will reside in a designated unit. The inmate mothers will be accountable for the 24-hour care of their children while living in a supervised environment. The Early Head Start Child Development Center will provide education and role modeling for effective parenting as well as enriched environment for the children to grow. The rationale behind the program is to promote mother-child bonding and attachment that research has shown is essential to healthy, intellectual, social and psychological development.

http://www.doc.wa.gov/facilities/wccwdescription.htm

Our culture tends to romanticize motherhood, emphasizing the round softness of the pregnant belly, the sweetness of the sleeping newborn, and a baby’s first smile, first steps, first words. Of course, reality for many women is less lovely. For example, few in our society are aware of the growing number of incarcerated pregnant women. What do we do with these mothers? These babies?

http://www.residentialparenting.com/learn.htm

Cass

Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Over here in the UK, all pregnant inmates are allowed to keep their babies until they are 12-24 months. They have special prison units for them. I think that it is a good idea, especially for those women that wont be doing a long bid. I think that every state and Federal should allow this and have facilities to accomodate it.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:03 AM

I agree with the people that have said yes here for the same exact reasons. I know im a lil late on replying to this... sorry:P
Old 11-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Donation Award 

I think it depends on how long of a sentence a women has. If it's just a few years and she herself is not a threat to children herself than by all means let her keep her baby! A baby changes a person so much anyway. And a baby needs there mother very much exspecialy the first three years and hopefully the mother would soon be done with her sentence or get paroled! I don't think here in Texas there are prisons that allow them to keep thier babies with them but thier not handed over to the state unless the women doesn't have any family member that woul be willing to take the baby for a short while? I say let them have the baby and bond with them as it is very important to begin with! God Bless the many women that are incarserated while being pregnant! They are in my prayers!!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 AM

In South Africa the women are allowed to keep their babies with them until they are 5 years old. They have little play areas for them and a lot of other women help to look after them....it has a good effect on everyone. It is really sad that they spend the first years of their lives behind bars....but I agree the mother - child bond takes precedence and those children are surrounded by a lot love and support from the other inmates....
Old 11-02-2005, 09:13 PM

i am sure mother with there babies would be put seperate from other. as for enviornment most children are better off being born in a jail loved and learn, than to be born grow up confuse and end up spending their whole life in prison.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:18 PM

it is sad that they would spend the first five years of there lives behind bars but only to some looking from the outside. if the surroundings are loving then the child may not even know they are in jail till they are older. by then they are mature enough to grasp it and move on.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 AM

I have never been in that situation. I believe that most mothers would want what is best for her child and calling prison home, I imagine wouldn't be the best thing. But regular visitations to keep the bond would be more practical.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

A lot of responsibility comes with taking care of a baby/child. Why should that responsibility be put on someone else. She got pregnant, carried the baby, I feel she should keep it as well. True, prison can be a nightmare but because I believe the women inmates would be partial to children, I don't think mothers who keep their child would have a bad time. If anything, a better time.

This applies to sentences of up to 2 years. Anything more than that, the baby should be whisked away after birth.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:55 AM

I don't think the child should be raised in a prison, they aren't criminals. I can only go on what I have seen in overseas prisons where the woman goes to jail and her relatives say we cant afford to look after her kids so they go in with her. The swearing is aweful and the kids are traumatised by all the crap they see in prison. They are sometimes abused and it is terrible (this is in Pakistan)- they often grow up there.

I wouldn't like it to happen anywhere else.

Then I should look at Australia (my country) and the children who were imprsoned with their illegal immigrant families in detention centres here. To read of children being raped, mutilating themselves, becoming so depressed that they gave up hope and feel into deep depressions needing extrensive counselling and their families begging the government to give them to families outside the centres without that happening was horrific. BTW some of them are now suing for damages.

Children don't belong in prisons... but it would be better that they go to families/ friends or at least carers of similar faith etc... if not then the state.