Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > VA DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

VA DOC - What You Need to Know Finding your way around the VA Corrections System - everything you need to know about VA DOC.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:45 AM
MissingHimSoMuch

Question How Long Is LIFE in Virginia???

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering, how long does an offender generally spend incarcerated for a life sentence? Is good behavior taken into consideration for maybe a sentence reduction? Is parole even in existence in VA? I have heard conflicting answers to that....And the dept of corrections website hasn't been very helpful. I hate not knowing what exactly to expect....If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know....Thank you!
Brandy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 AM

There isn't parole anymore in VA, unless you committed the cirme I believe before 1/95, my friend is on parole but he caught his charge in 93

MEMBER #2 of the INDEPENDENT WOMEN CLUB!

Member# 11 of the Fabulous And Thick Club
Old 10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
MissingHimSoMuch

No parole??? Don't tell me that....So it's hopeless......I feel a nervous breakdown coming on....How long is a life sentence,then?Oh God, I'm gonna lose it....
Brandy
Old 10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

Brandy,

Take a deep breath and exhale, unfortunately, in Virginia at the moment, life means exactly that.

My niece has a life sentence and has been down for ten years since she was 15. She is just now dealing with the reality that barring any developments with her habeas, that she will be in prison for good.

I know it is a hard pill to swollow, hang it there, dont be afraid to cry when you need too.

Patti
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 AM

okay I may sound really stupid but can someone tell me the difference between probation and parole?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:16 PM

There used to be Parole in Va..... like Kayos-grl said. Old charges will still have the chance of parole.....

Unfortunately now Life means LIFE. It's part of VA's Truth in Sentencing guidelines.

Oddly enuff, Inmates with a LIFE sentence can still earn credit under the "good time credit" system, but it is strictly for classification purposes.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 AM

THANKS TO KILGORE BUDDY THEN GOVERNOR GEORGE ALLEN AND ALL THE REST OF THE REPUBLICIANS ALIKE AND IF THEY DON'T FIGURE OUT WHO IS THE NEXT ATTORNEY GENERAL/COMMONWEALTH ATTORNEY, IF MCDONALDS WINS THE RECOUNT WHO IS AGAINST PAROLE OF ANY KIND AND WILL MAKE SURE THAT MOST ARE CONVICTED WITH LIFE SENTENCES --- IN 1995 PAROLE WAS ABOLISHED TO INMATES HAVING TO DO FULL TIME WITH 85% FOR GOOD TIME. HOWEVER, DURING THE 2005 VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY, I LEARNED FROM THE HEAD OF THE SENTENCING BOARD THAT THEIR IS A AGE USED TO DETERMINE LIFE SENTENCE, IT'S A BIT COMPLICATED AND IT ISN'T WRITTEN INTO LAW, HOWEVER, TAKING IN THAT FACT OF KNOWLEDGE THIS IS WHY EVERY INMATE UNDER BOTH THE OLD LAW AND NEW LAW, LIFE SENTENCES MUST GET BEHIND THE PASSING OF THE VaLERA BILL AKA SB 75, SB805, HB 362, A.K.A. GOOD CONDUCT/MANDATORY LITERACY BILL. HERE ARE A FEW REASONS WHY:

1. THOSE UNDER PAROLE LAW PRE-1995: IF YOUR LOVE ONE IS CURRENT STILL SITTING IN PRISON 10 YEARS LATER AND ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE. HAS BEEN DENIED DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE CRIME. REASON WHY, THE PAROLE BOARD IS VERY MUCH AWARE THAT OF THE 85% RULE FOR THE NEW LAW AND WILL KEEP DENYING THEM UNTIL THEY TOO HAVE COMPLETED 85%. NOW IF VALERA WAS PASSED, THEN THE 85% RULE WOULD BE DEAD. IT WOULD THEN BE THE UP TO 65%-50% RULE. ENABLING THOSE UNDER PAROLE SYSTEM TO MEET PAROLE TIMELY. WE ALL THE NATURE OF THE CRIME IS USED WHEN THE PAROLE BOARD HAS NOTHING ELSE TO USE AGAINST YOU. SO PLEASE GET BUSY AND BECOME PRO ACTIVE WITH THE PRE-WRITTEN PETITION DRIVE. WRITE, CALL, FAX EVERY LEGISLATOR IN THE BOOK AND LET THEM KNOW, YOU EXPECT THEM TO PASS THE VALERA BILL WHEN IT COMES BEFORE THEM IN 2006. THAT THEIR NEXT ELECTION WILL DEPEND UPON IT!!! WE PUT THEM IN, WE SHALL PUT THEM OUT!!!

2. THOSE UNDER THE NEW LAW/85% RULE: THE VALERA IS BETTER THAN THE PAROLE FOR IT ALLOWS YOU TO ACQUIRE ALL THE NECESSARY EDUCATION, SKILLS AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, GIVES EACH INMATE THE "TOOLS" NECESSARY TO RE-ENTER SOCIETY AS AN ASSET OPPOSED TO THE LIABILITY FOR WHICH THEY ENTERED. IT WILL DECREASE THE RETURN TO CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR RATE A.K.A. RECIDIVISM RATE. IT WILL ALLOW YOU TO EARN CREDIT ALLOWANCES OFF YOUR CURRENT SENTENCE. MEANING YOU CAN EARN ZERO, 5, 10, 15 DAYS PER EVERY 30 DAYS SERVED, DEPENDING UPON YOU THE INMATE AND YOUR INITIATIVE. NOW I HAVE SEEN BOTH SIDE OF THE ISSUE. I HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF CRIME AND MY SON IS INCARCERATED UNDER THE NEW LAW. I WANT BELIEVE IN AN "EARNED" SECOND CHANCE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ATONE AND REHABILITATED. I DON'T WISH TO BE A VICTIM AGAIN JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE PAROLED. PAROLE HASN'T BEEN WORKING, BECAUSE NO REHABILITATION "TOOLS" WERE AFFORDED TO THE INMATE PRIOR TO RELEASE. SO YOU ALL NEED TO GET BUSY, GET A COPY OF THE PRE-WRITTEN PETITION LETTER, ACQUIRE AT LEAST 25 SIGNATURES OR MORE AND RETURN THEM BACK TO US ASAP. ALSO, WRITE, CALL, FAX DAILY EVERY LEGISLATORS, BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT. IT'S YOUR LOVE ONES THAT YOU ARE BEING A PAIN FOR. THEY WILL BE VOTING THIS YEAR, IF IT FAIL, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE THE PEOPLE, THE PUBLIC DID NOT MAKE ENOUGH NOISE. BE PRO-ACTIVE. ATTEND LOCAL AREA MEETING. WE AT RIHD, INC. WILL BE POSTING ALL THE AREA MEETINGS ONLINE EACH MONTH FOR ALL AREAS. GO TO WWW.RIHD.ORG

3. THOSE DOING LIFE SENTENCE UNDER THE NEW LAW: WELL THE VALERA BILL INCLUDES LIFERS IN THE BILL. NOW MOST SAY, WELL HOW IS 15 DAYS GOING TO REDUCE A LIFE SENTENCE. IT GOES BACK TO WHAT I WAS SAYING ABOUT THE HEAD OF THE SENTENCING BOARD AT THE 2005 VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY, HE MADE A STATEMENT THAT HELP FIGURE THIS ALL OUT. IF VALERA IS PASSED, THEN IT BECOME A PAROLE BILL WITH A TWIST, RESPONSIBLE REHABILITATION PROGRAMS MANDATED. CURRENTLY TERMINAL ILL LIFE SENTENCE INMATES ARE RELEASE SO MANY DAYS, WEEKS PRIOR TO EXPECTANT DEATH. MEDICALLY DISABLED INMATES WHO ARE NO THREAT TO SOCIETY, YET ON LIFE SENTENCE ARE RELEASED STARTING AT A MID AGE, IT IS A CASE, BY CASE BASIS AND NO ONE REALLY WANTS TO ADMIT TO IT AND ALSO, I AM GOING OUT ON A LIMB OF TELLING THIS, FOR THERE ARE SOME WHO WHEN YOU GIVE INSIDE INFORMATION TO WILL RUN BACK AND TELL IT INSTEAD OF SIMPLY MAKING A MENTAL NOTE. THEIR IS AN AGE IF THE INMATE IS NO THREAT, HAS BEEN A MODEL INMATE AND THE CRIME ISN'T OF A SERIAL KILLING WHERE THEY CAN BE RELEASED. IT ISN'T AN EARLY AGE, MY UNDERSTANDING IS AROUND THEIR 60'S. UNDER VALERA, THIS AGE BRACKET WOULD BE ONE MORE TOLERABLE FOR THE PUBLIC AND SOCIETY. CURRENTLY, AS IS ONE LIFE SENTENCE I WAS TOLD IS 600 YEARS. SO WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE. YOU HAVE EVERYTHING TO GAIN IF YOU BECOME PRO-ACTIVE WITH THE VALERA BILL.

BOTTOM LINE WE MUSTUNITE AND BE PRO-ACTIVELY INFORMED.
OUR ATTENTION SPAN MUST NOT BE SO SHORT AND WE MUST STOP THINKING THAT OTHERS WILL GET IT DONE, OR THAT WE ARE WORTHLESS. WE THE PEOPLE PUT OUR LEGISLATORS INTO OFFICE, WE THE PEOPLE CAN PUT THEM OUT!!!

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US AT:
RESOURCE INFORMATION HELP FOR THE DISADVANTAGE
R.I.H.D. INC.
PO BOX 55 - HIGHLAND SPRINGS, VA 23075
(804) 737-9624
VISIT OUR WEB SITE: WWW.RIHD.ORG
FOR COPIES OF ONLINE PRE-WRITTEN PETITION PACKAGE: SB805LERA@AOL.COM