Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Looking for felon friendly jobs Kansas City

DOes anyone have suggestions for companies in Kansas City willing to hire ex-felons? Jobs in the construction field would be most helpful. My friend has experience as a concrete finisher and just got laid off.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Hammering on the machine!

Default Felon Friendly Jobs In Kansas City

I know this post is kind of late, but I just registered and saw your post. Encore Temp Services will refer ex-felons to jobs. They have offices all over the KC area. I worked at the Dillard's warehouse in Olathe last fall during the Christmas season through Encore. It paid about $11.60 an hour. It can't hurt to check them out. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Looking for work

I just moved to KC,Mo due to death in the family, dad died in sept then aunt in oct, so going to stay with mom to help out for awhile. Left a good job in New Orleans that I have been working since the storms. I served several years in the Kansas system for everything from theft to agg assualt. I have been looking for work for several weeks now applying at many temp services thinking it would be easyier to obtain work - boy was I wrong. The ones that take my aplication never call back and it has come to the point where I ask them ahead of time if they will put an ex-offender to work. At least said they will not so it is no use applying (Chase Staffing). I have looked at some of the other post related to this subject and will try Encore to see if they will refer ex-felon. my last conviction was over 10 yrs ago. When does a person live it down? Is it possible? Are there any groups in the Kansas City area dealing with this problem?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM

Default How to Deal with some Temp. Agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware
I just moved to KC,Mo due to death in the family, dad died in sept then aunt in oct, so going to stay with mom to help out for awhile. Left a good job in New Orleans that I have been working since the storms. I served several years in the Kansas system for everything from theft to agg assualt. I have been looking for work for several weeks now applying at many temp services thinking it would be easyier to obtain work - boy was I wrong. The ones that take my aplication never call back and it has come to the point where I ask them ahead of time if they will put an ex-offender to work. At least said they will not so it is no use applying (Chase Staffing). I have looked at some of the other post related to this subject and will try Encore to see if they will refer ex-felon. my last conviction was over 10 yrs ago. When does a person live it down? Is it possible? Are there any groups in the Kansas City area dealing with this problem?
The best way to deal with temp. agencies is to make yourself seem ready for work, without them even thinking about the felonies you were convicted of. Eastern Temporaries, my local temp. agency, is an example of an agency with staffing consultants that only care about getting jobs filled as quickly as possible, without regard to felon status. I have never been convicted of felonies, nor have I ever been criminally charged, yet I get treated by employers the same way as felons get treated. I am not sure if it is because of my employment history or what, but at least I managed to get a permanent job thanks to the agency.

I am not suggesting to lie on the application. I am suggesting that you should call each agency every weekday, as soon as they open, and ask if they have a job available. Sometimes, agencies that have told you they don't refer felons may do so anyway. Eventually, the daily call tactic will lead you to a job.

Get your Portable ID!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Tanks for the reply

That is pretty good advice - and I thank you for it. Yea I will not lie, I lost a good job in the past after over 4yrs for not reporting everything! Rather be honest, plan on trying to write letters to government officials and so forth once I can slow down and complain about the way some people are treated. I am not saying I am any better then anyone else and not perfect but - have been clean for 10 yrs and still suffering. Again Thanks!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 AM

Just a note a lot of warehouse jobs such as orderpulling or forklift operations dont care about a felony conviction, I have talked to quite a few business owners and human resource people here in this area and most say they are looking for strong backs and people with work ethics. I know of two large warehouses that hire from the work release programs and will offer permanent employment in most cases. Dont give up. Try smaller individual companies some ask any felonies in the past 7 years and your truthful answer is no. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Job Hunting In KC, MO Area

Hello All -
Update on my job hunt in this area. Still having little to no luck. I did have two places that would hire me as an ex-felon one was for a week only and another that I never found what it was for because they called on a day that the road was covered with ice and I could not get out and off the streets by the place I am living.

A place called Encore in Independence, Mo would not even allow me to fill out an application after filling out their questionnaire that asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony. (I have been told that that is illegal).

A place called Express Personnel in Independence, MO does seem like they will really try to place an ex-felon, there are exceptions - one being if you have a theft conviction, if over a certain amount they say their company will not allow them to try to place you.

Today I visited two temp services ( Spherion and SOS Staffing), they both have an ex-felon fill out a background questionnaire where they ask detailed questions about the crimes you are convicted of. They more or less as least give a person the chance to explain. They both said they have committees that meet and review the applications based on how long ago the crimes were committed as well as jobs held since then. I welcome this approach as it gives me a chance to explain what happened as well as show that I have worked in good places and a good work history since the crimes took place. Will see in about a week if they will consider trying to place me or not. If I remember I will post what happens on there.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Looking for jobs in KC

Hi,
I was going thru the posts here and came across yours and I'm wanting to know you were doing ok and if you were able to locate a job here in KC? I ask only because my husband will be released from Lansing Correctional in 09/08 and he will be like you were pounding the pavement looking for a break somewhere/anywhere. So I was wondering if you had any luck in locating a job so I could pass it on to him.

Take care
Thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
DOes anyone have suggestions for companies in Kansas City willing to hire ex-felons? Jobs in the construction field would be most helpful. My friend has experience as a concrete finisher and just got laid off.
Felons qualify for help by applying at Vocational Rehabilitational Services in their local area who in turn connect you to an agency that will help you find work.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
Well there are jobs for ex-felons in kansas city but not many. If you are an ex-felons seeking for a jobs in Kansas city, the best would be starting with welding, roofing jobs in construction in the city. You will plenty of vacancies in them, and they have no objections whatsoever for ex-felons.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM

If you a labeling jobs then the meaning of ex felon sucks