Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Letters,dreams and prayers from our loved ones walking the Red Road behind bars

please post letters requests, prayers and news from our warriors and loved ones on the inside, here...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 AM

reposting a vision from an incarcerated brother with my sincere apologies to both Painted arms and his wife...for some reason this post was moved and probably never seen or shared by those of us who have loved ones inside...I know I will be sending it to the circles that i am involved with. Also, I will attemprt to contact his wife, that will let this pass and allow us to support her and her husband on thier journey.

Vision of Future or Destiny of the Red Race
I address this letter to all tribes across Turtle Island, to all Chiefs and Warriors, and to all Clanmothers, Spiritual Guides and our yourth.

I hope you will receive this smoke signal as a gesture of peace and friendship.

I have a vision for this piece of Mother Earth we know as Turtle Island. It is not a new vision. It is a vision of my people. All my relations among the Red Man and Native. It is a vision of our forefathers. It is the vision that has forever layed in the hearts and soul of my people. It is a vision that currently lies in our hands.

It is inherent in our traditional values and beliefs. It is inherent in our philosophy, the way we look at life. It is inherent in this land we call Mother Earth that sustains our life and all living things. Above all it is a vision that acknowledges and embraces the supremacy of our shared Creator.

This is a vision that is inherent in the treaties that were made with the newcomers who came to this land with their governments. The Creator put our people on Turtle Island for a reason. The Creator gave us our dances and ceramonies for a reason. The reason was not to have it all taken away from us by foriegners.

Yesterday, our people agreed to respect and co-exist with these foriegners. We agreed to live side-by-side, and to share what we have, to share the knowledge, the land, the power and the resources. Their agreement was not very complicated for our people. The foreigners have proven they cannot keep their agreement! This agreement has gone dorment.

But, this vision is a strong vision. This vision embraces unity among the Red Man. This vision embraces caring, loving and sharing.

Our people know that the Creator made different people and nations all over the world. We understand the Creator established "landmarks and boundaries."

Even though we are oppressed and have been conquered, the Creator still wants us to maintain our culture, language, and traditional observances that he prescribed for our people.

We have a responsibility to maintain a unity amonst our people. We, as the Original People, have an even greater responsibility than any other group of people to maintain Turtle Island - because this is OUR home and OUR land.

Spirituality is very sacred to our people. It is essential to our existence. It drives our way of life. It is not our will to give up any more of our land, our spiritual beliefs, our traditions, language, customs. Our people.

Our people have seen much frustration the past years trying to resolve these issues. It has become apparent that more dramatic action needs to be taken since even the political process has failed us.

In this vision, all this changes. In this vision, the Creator favors our people. In this vision we can all agree. In this vision the Red Race is once again free. In this vision, the Red Race is united. In this vision our tribes work together to beat our common enemy. In this vision our youth are once again proud to be Indian. In this vision there is no anamosity among tribes. In this vision, we have a combined Warrior Society. This vision is alive and within our grasp.

A warrior without a vision is not a warrior. Do you have a vision for our future? What changes would you like to see made for our People?

(til the next time)

Cyndi
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingy For This Useful Post:
marah1960 (01-18-2013)
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Robert Hugh Wilson, also known as Standing Deer

Robert Hugh Wilson, also known as Standing Deer, was found dead in his home here in Houston, TX on Tuesday. Standing Deer was stabbed to death by a houseguest, Pius Smashed Ice (a Native American who had recently been released from prison and was staying with Standing Deer because he had no money). The police report said that Pius killed Standing Deer after an argument on Monday, but didn't call police until Tuesday, where he attempted to pass the crime off as a break-in. Pius later confessed and is in custody now. Standing Deer was stabbed in his bedroom, so it's still not clear if it happened during an argument or later after a dispute. Whatever the case, the loss of Standing Deer is something we in the area are struggling with.

Standing Deer is best known as the prisoner who was affiliated for many years with Leonard Peltier, and who exposed the government assassination plot against Leonard. He was released only two years ago after serving 27 years in the pen. To his friends, Standing Deer epitomized kindness, warmth, honesty and revolutionary commitment. He had been working with many young indigenous activists in Houston and Texas, offering his insights and wisdom. His death was senseless, but Standing Deer's spirit will live on.

Standing Deer is expected to be cremated on Friday, and his remains taken to Oklahoma, his birtplace. He was 70 years old.

Coming Home

http://www.sonic.net/~doretk/ArchiveARCHIVE/NATIVE%20AMERICAN/Coming%20HomeStanding%20Deer.html
by Standing Deer Wilson #640289 Ellis 1, Huntsville, TX 77343

Excerpted from "A Message to the People from Standing Deer," Boston, Massachusetts, 19 November 1994, delivered to those who attended the meeting for POWs and political prisoners at Amherst.
MY NAME IS STANDING DEER. I am full-blood Oneida/Choctaw. Eighteen years ago, I was captured and sent to the Control Unit at the political prison in Marion, Illinois. I have been locked down in super-max ever since-with no relief in sight.

Some of you folks may have read In the Spirit of Crazy Horse by Peter Mattheissen. Peter's book recounts, with documentation, how-in 1978-I was hired by U.S. agents to kill Leonard Peltier in Marion Prison. Rather than kill him, I exposed the government conspiracy first to Leonard, and then to the world. I'm not going to re-tell that long story, but I do want to tell you one incident that is sacred to me because with that one incident Leonard transformed my life, brought me home to my People, and put me dead in the middle of the political struggle for the survival of my People.

The government involved me in their conspiracy to assassinate Peltier in May of 1978, and although we were both in Marion prison I didn't actually meet him until the fourth of July 1978. It was a really hot afternoon, and since Marion hadn't yet been locked down, we were having a cook-out on the yard. It felt good just sitting with Leonard and several other brothers while Leonard talked about this and that, and as the afternoon went on, I could see the intensity and emotion beneath the surface of this man when he discussed the problems of his People. I could sense, rather than hear or see, the degree of love and total commitment he felt for the People.

I saw the marks of flesh offerings and the piercings of the Sun Dance on his body, and I listened in awed reverence as he quietly told us about sacred matters. As I listened, I realized what a deeply religious man he was, and I thought what an upside down world we live in when the criminals of this world portray the victims as criminals and make 90% of the sleeping future victims believe in their charade.

Although I had not come to the yard with settled intentions of telling him that the United States was scheming to take his life, I found myself revealing the plot to him in all its sordid detail. I didn't know what reaction to expect because in my heart I was not pure. I reeked with shame. I harbored guilt because I wasn't sure I was going to tell him until the moment I did it. Leonard silently gazed at me for a long time, then he shook my hand as he looked into my eyes with a look that radiated total love and trust. He smiled as he softly said, "Thank you for telling me, my Brother."

The next day Leonard and a 300-pound Lakota summoned me from my cell and took me to the law library which was deserted. They led me into a room where books were stored. The big man produced a length of rope while Leonard placed a bandanna blindfold over his own eyes. Leonard's hands were tied securely behind his back; then the big man left the room and the law library. We were completely alone. Leonard told me to close the door and push a bookcase across it so that it would not open. When I turned back around he was lying on his back on the floor. He told me to reach behind the law books on the third shelf and I would find a rolled up newspaper and I should withdraw it. When I picked up the newspaper it was very heavy and I felt the hardness of something metal so I removed it from the paper, and I was looking at a 15-inch knife, beautifully made, obviously in a machine shop. It was razor sharp and had a point like a needle. It gleamed the reflection of light in my eyes and I became so dizzy I could hardly stand.

The knife turned into a snake in my hand, and as I stared paralyzed it became the face of the blond, blue-eyed stranger who wanted Leonard dead. As I looked into the blue eyes, I saw the face of the man who murdered my grandfathers and grandmothers. I was terrified, but when I looked at Leonard he was smiling, and I could hear his smile and it sounded like a gentle waterfall. I could no longer see through my tears but I heard the waterfall say, "Do whatever it is you have to do, my Brother." And I fell to the floor and cut his bonds and removed his blindfold and he had tears in his eyes that looked like a rainbow. I discovered I was weeping for the first time since I was nine years old and my brother died. It was then I knew I was coming home to my People.

From that day in Marion to the present I have thanked my lucky stars that he re-centered my life. He put me in touch with my roots and started me on the road to recovering the humanity that had been buried all my life under the conditioning of the culture of greed.

For eighteen years I have been held captive in the very worst of Greed's ironhouses. The reason I have been able to get out of bed each day is because I have a treasure: my wife, Anna, and our children. She is my reason for existence. I have been blessed by having Anna by my side. Her love has never faltered. It's true the years have been cruel in many ways, but in a spiritual sense my family's love makes me feel like I've been living in a garden of roses with garlands connecting my spirit to Mother Earth. Together, we have dealt-and will deal-with whatever obstacles might confront us; our hopes and dreams of freedom and the future are still very much alive.

My prayers are with those of you who are working on this most important project even at a time when the reactionary propaganda is calling for our executions, or at least for them to lock us up and throw away the key. In the words of William M. Kunstler, my all-time hero,"The Establishment will not rest until it roots out and destroys all opposition. For that reason, those who challenge the Establishment must have the same tenacity." So let us breathe new life into our efforts, and let us be tenacious! We MUST free Mumia! We MUST free Peltier! We must free ALL political prisoners and prisoners of war!

To all of you who struggle in unity to free our encaged sisters and brothers, I extend the left hand of my left arm which is closest to my heart. Whatever you do, my love and strength are with you.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

-Standing Deer

by Standing Deer

Greetings from the dungeon in February of '98. Winter is such a lovely time of year. Even when I'm in the dungeon, I have my memories to keep me peaceful. I love to just walk in the cold, brisk air and take in the smell and feel and presence of the Great Spirit. But in so many ways, prison is such a sad place to be, seeing the brothers from the reservations with such gloom on their faces, some of them in the white man's prison for the first time ever, and so many of them doing time for minor alcohol-related crimes.

There was this older Lakota man on the yard one time in the middle of a snowstorm. You could hardly see him, and Security had ordered all the prisoners off the yard because visibility was almost down to nil. He was very calmly sitting cross-legged on Mother Earth with his shirt off as the snow began to pile upon his shoulders. It was obvious he was praying with a Sacred Pipe he didn't have, and when I gently touched him on the shoulder he passed to me his invisible Pipe. I took it from him with great respect and puffed on it as I turned to each of the Four Sacred Directions. Then I passed it to the invisible Spirit that was standing to my left. The Brother's lips were turning blue as I helped him to his feet and said, "Let's go inside and drink some coffee." He smiled and said, "I'll be home before the days grow long." I didn't know what he meant, but smiled in return. He followed me into the building and I could feel the presence of his Spirit, and it was overpowering.

I knew that here was a man I could learn from, but in the spring the guards beat him to death over in the hole because they could not make him stop singing a song about his people. Although he had a life sentence, he went home before the days grew long.

In Texas, our Indian religion is against the law, and I see how much the traditional brothers suffer from being denied the religion of their Grandfathers and Grandmothers. For those sisters and brothers who wonder why the most important thing in their lives -- their religion -- has been banned and made against the law, I have written the following poem. I pray my words will lend some comfort to those sisters and brothers who need comforting, and perhaps my poem will help others not of our faith to see what a brutal injustice it is for the prisoncrats to suppress Indian religion in their Iron Houses.

What is in your heart they cannot take. Do they forbid you to have a sweat lodge? You are sitting in one every day. The roof of your prison is the sacred covering; the bars the sacred willow; the stone floor is your mother; the sacred rocks are heated in the fire of your Indian heart. Take the water from the sink in your cell and pour it over your head and you shall be purified. Do they take away your pipe, your feathers, your medicine, or your privileges? Who can take your power? Who can take your dream? Who takes your visions? Your pipe is your soul. It has no form. Yet, look at your brother. Do you see the living pipe? You have no feathers? They are invisible. Yet Wakan Tanka knows you wear them and pray with them. Your holy medicine is your tears. It is good to cry like a man for wisdom. When you see your brother crying, go to him and lick the tears from his cheeks, and you shall have medicine. These are your privileges. Your power is to resist through your will. Strengthen your will. With every tear, you grow stronger because they fear your will to endure. They are already defeated because they abuse what they cannot conquer. Your life is their defeat.

Standing Deer Wilson, 640289,
Estelle Unit, Huntsville, TX 77340

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 09-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Default letter from Peltier,,,8/18/05

LPNET: UPDATE FROM LEONARD PELTIER

"Subject: Leonard Pelrtier Transferred to Lewisburg, PA
http://lpdcinc.blogspot.com/

August 15, 2005

Aho My Relations,

On August 15, 2005 I was transferred to USP Lewisburg
in Pennsylvania. Life has been extra difficult for me
since I was transferred from Leavenworth. This system
is designed to make one feel very powerless, and what
they are doing with me now is definitely aimed to
erode my body and spirit even more. My loved ones, and
all of you, my friends and allies who continue to
support me, keep me sane and hopeful.

They say that it is in times of crisis that one can
really see who your real allies are. Those of you who
have contacted the Terre Haute Prison and the Bureau
of Prisons on my behalf, keep me in your prayers, and
are supporting my Defense Committee, have made an
enormous difference in my situation. I humbly thank
each and every one of you, and firmly believe that
your actions most certainly saved my life and
prevented me from living in an institution that is
well known for its extremely high crime and violence.
Also, health problems continue to plague me and the
conditions I was subjected to exacerbated them. I know
deep within my heart, that if there had not been such
an outpouring of support, concern and overall outcry
regarding my arbitrary detention, I would have
probably stayed in solitary confinement for an
indefinite length of time, or worse I would not have
survived in the general prisoner population. Although
I have been forced to endure many hardships, I will
never surrender, even if all that is left of me is my
spirit. Your love and support inspire me to overcome
everything.

I hope that here at Lewisburg I will be able to resume
living in the general population, practicing the
traditional ways and continuing with my artwork. My
defense team is preparing to go through some major
milestones. They need your support more than ever to
re-establish our office and prepare for upcoming
reviews and legal battles. Since Russ Redner, Paula
Ostrovsky, and Toni Zeidan do not want to accept any
salaries or remuneration of any kind, all of your
donations will go directly to the office transfer and
upcoming campaign.

I again want to express my sincere appreciation and
tell you once more that without you I am not sure I
could have survived this last month. Every day I think
about and pray for a time when I will be among you,
shoulder to shoulder, fighting for justice for my
people and our Mother Earth.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse

Leonard Peltier

NOTE FROM THE LPDC:

Please contact USP Lewisburg to make sure Leonard
regains all his hard earned prisoner rights,
especially his religious rights, visitations, regular
phone calls and ability to paint. Be polite and
courteous, but let them know that a lot of us all over
the world are concerned about Leonard's wellbeing.

Warden

USP LEWISBURG
U.S. PENITENTIARY
2400 ROBERT F. MILLER DRIVE
LEWISBURG, PA 17837

Phone: 570- 523-1251
Fax: 570- 522-7745
E-mail address: LEW/EXECASSISTANT@BOP.GOV

Also please continue writing to Leonard but be mindful
of his situation and respectful of his personal
affairs.

Leonard Peltier # 89637-132
USP LEWISBURG
U.S. PENITENTIARY
P.O. BOX 1000
LEWISBURG, PA 17837
John Gallagher"
Mitakuye Oyasin.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM

I just read this about Standing Deer and felt extremely sad. Also I did not know they had moved Leonard .
Thank you for posting
Old 10-22-2005, 05:55 AM

Open letter to the Oyate

Excerpt from: News of the Lake Traverse Reservation
letters to the editor, Volume 36, Issue 25, Wednesday, June 22, 2005
http://www.earthskyweb.com/news.htm#edit
Open letter to the Oyate

Greetings. My name is Johnson W. Greybuffalo. I am of Sisseton-Wahpeton and Yankton blood, and an enrolled member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate of the Lake Traverse Reservation. I am currently incarcerated at the Waupun Correctional Institution in the Wisconsin Department of Corrections. I have been incarcerated for 11 years now.

I write this letter to you, the Oyate, today to bring your attention to the continuing struggle of our Brothers and Sisters who are behind these Walls, in these Iron Houses, to be allowed to practice our Traditional Ways, and to continue to better ourselves by walking in a good way with our Brothers and/or Sisters.

First of all, I must say Pidamiya to those Elders who have given their permission for us to be able to practice what we have behind these walls. Pidamiya to those same Elders who have sacrificed of their own personal time to come inside of these Iron Houses to share their knowledge and to at times conduct some of our Ceremonies for us. And finally, Pidamiya to those Brothers and Sisters who came before us, who struggled and died behind these Walls so that we may have the opportunity today, to practice our various Traditions.

In the State of Wisconsin, those of us behind these Walls have been blessed to be allowed to practice, on a limited basis, some of our Traditional Ways, such as being allowed to hold an Inipi, or being able to gather to Pray with the Canhupa, and to sit around the Cancega (Drum) to sing some songs. Within these Walls you can find a number of Oyate from various Tribes throughout the country, who come together in the Spirit of unity to offer Wocekiye, for and on behalf of their various families and Peoples.

We are allowed, but not often given, the opportunity to hold an Inipi once a month. We are allowed to gather once a week for a Canhupa Wakanwakaga (Pipe Ceremony) and to Dowanpi (Sing) around the Cancega. We often, before or after our Canhupa Wakanwakaga hold a Talking Circle, where concerns are voiced and discussed that concern the Group as a Whole.

During our Wakanwakaga, we are not allowed to talk about Unity, as this is a "Security Concern" here in this state. We are not allowed to possess Traditional Teachings or materials concerning Tribal Clans, or our Traditional Warriors, Dance, or Medicine Societies, or about the American Indian Movement. All of these have been labeled as "Security Threat Groups" or STGs by the WDOC.

If you are found to be in possession of any materials concerning a Warriors, Dance, or Medicine Society, Tribal Clan, or AIM, you will be subjected to disciplinary action and be moved to the segregation unit for a period of time not to exceed 368 days. In all probability you will then be placed on what is called Administrative Confinement for being a member of an STG. AC is a form of punishment that means the administration of the institution you happen to be in, deems you to be a "Security Threat," and can then hold you in the segregation unit for an unlimited amount of time.

The government of Wisconsin and the various administrations of the WDOC are currently engaged in systematically eliminating the religious rights of the Native American prisoner population through suppression and intimidation. In this way they curtail our rights by controlling the content of our religious material, by actively monitoring our gatherings, and in extreme cases by placing informants within the Group to identify outspoken individuals.

Unfortunately, I myself have become a victim of the machinations of the WDOC oppression. I have been given a conduct report for having Traditional Teachings written down on paper that I tended to refer to from time to time, these urged the reader to be Generous, Humble, Honorable, Respectful, and Faithful. One of these was even a quote made by Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce. Yet, they don't see these things as Teachings as any Ikce Wicasa would, but as a reason to punish through both suppression and intimidation, one who simply tries to live in a good way, by bettering himself through Tradition.

I have been labeled a "Security Threat" and been stamped as a racist for calling for Unity amongst the Brothers, and for fighting the WDOC as it continues to take. I have fought the WDOC in the courts due to the fact that they are continually whittling away at our rights. Granted I lost the lawsuit, but what is happening now is a direct result for standing up and fighting for the People. It has happened before, it is happening now, and it will continue to happen as long as there are Brothers and Sisters within these Iron Houses who fight for our Traditions. We are all called to make sacrifices at some point in our lives, and as I have mentioned before Brothers and Sisters have died for us to be able to practice what we have today, Elders have sacrificed of themselves so that we may practice what we have today. If this is a sacrifice that I am being called to make to bring the Peoples attention to this problem then I shall embrace it fully and with prayer.

I do not yet know my fate. I have not been called before the adjustment committee to hear how much time I will be in segregation, but I suspect I will be there for a long time. In my struggle and this continuing fight, I ask for your prayers. I stand by my Traditions and will not back down from this fight.

Pidamiya for your time today in listening to what I have said.

Mitakuye Oyasin.

Johnson W. Greybuffalo #229871, Waupun Correctional Institution (WCI) P.O. Box 351, Waupun, WI 53963-0351.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Black Crow's story in his own words

Black Crow's story in his own words

Black Crow's story in his own words:
I've been doing this type of art work for about 10 years now since I've been in the Prisons of Massachusetts, so I've had a lot of practice and got pretty good with it. This Prison at Gardner has a Native Circle so you would well know I've been changing my ways of thinking and of life. You asked where I come from? Honestly I couldn't tell you. I was adopted into a White family at the age of 9 months old. Brought up by them and their ways. I always knew I was adopted but not till awhile ago did I ask if I was Native. She said Yes. I do not know from who or where do I come from. Sometimes I really wonder and would like to know. Though you know ... if I really asked these parents more it would hurt their feelings that they brought me up all this time, leading into a big thing. Right now I am very happy that the Spirit has led me here and I can practice the ways of our Ancestors, Elders and our Native Tradition. It is truly the way to live no matter where we are, not only for ourselves but for the Generations to come.
Black Crow is a named plaintiff in Trapp, et al. v. DuBois, et al. [this link will open in a new window], a lawsuit for religious freedom in prison in Massachusetts.

Black Crow receives mail at the following address:

Chris Black Crow Bousquet
SBCC
P.O. Box 8000
Shirley, MA
USA 01464

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 AM

Default from: NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUAL,CULTURAL,GROUP OF INDIANA STATE PRISON

from: NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUAL,CULTURAL,GROUP OF INDIANA STATE PRISON

NATIVE AMERICAN SPIRITUAL,CULTURAL,GROUP OF INDIANA STATE PRISON
P.O. Box 41
Michigan City,Indiana 46361

Letter From The Pipe Carrier

Through out our culture, our teachers and elders talk of the need to heal the Sacred Hoop of Life. We know that the balance will ever be set right until that healing happens. We also understand that means a healing of the entire Sacred Hoop; our families, communities, tribes, our People, our Country and the many different peoples within it. I structured that list the way I did for a purpose, that being, that we also know we can't begin to heal any relationship or people outside our own until we heal those within our own.There in lies a problem.

While almost everyone wants to reach out to help those who are homeless, alcoholic, addicts, mentally ill, etc., there is a segment, a rather large segment, unfortunately, of our people, that are very often not only ignored, but actually shunned: the incarcerated. Admittedily, there are a number of groups and individuals out there reaching out to the incarcerated, but overall, within our community, we unfortunately are facing estrangement to varing degrees.

In some ways, I can understand the reasons behind it. It can be said of course, that we don't help at a time when our people are struggling for credibility and repect. There is also the embarrassment at the crimes we have committed, and the fact that in many instances, they go completely against everything that we, as a spiritual people, stand for. In addition, it an also be said, I suppose, that if we had been on the right path we wouldn't have committed our crimes in the first place, and wouldn't be in here. A somewhat distorted view, but a view.

I am the Bundle Keeper, and Pipe Carrier for the Native American Spiritual and Cultural Council at the Indiana State Prison. For some time we have been actively seeking a replacement for the Spiritual Advisor who had to leave us, but in the mean time, the position has been filled, very well, by the Catholic Priest here, a volunteer. We try to follow traditional ways as much as possible, and Father Paul has never tried to sway us from that path, or convert us, although, he's always there to help us when needed.

It wasn't long ago that Father Paul was on vacation traveling through the south, and happened upon a Native American community there. With us in mind as always, he told them of us and what we're trying to do here, and mentioned that we always have a need for sage, sweetgrass, and herbs. (We receive no money for these things from the state and depend on donations from our members and the occasional donation of herbs from the outside). This Spiritual Community was adamant about not assisting a bunch of inmates under any circumstances when he inquired about the chance of obtaining some sage for us.

On one hand I was disheartened to a point, because it seemed to almost negate whatever positive work we are doing here. I was also angered, because it was like writing us off. At the same time I discovered something a little amusing in it. The fact that it was almost akin to something that's perplexed our people for generations; the idea that Grandmother, and anything that grows from Her, can be possessed, bought, sold, and withheld. They were doing the very thing that our Ancestors fought and bled against.

At any rate, I don't relate that story nor my feelings behind it for the purpose of berating or shaming, hence, the lack of a name to this community down south. Instead, it's only an illustration of part of what I'm talking about. By the way, I hold no animosity or resentment toward them, or those like them. They do what they have to do for the reasons that they have to do it. Granted, twenty years ago, although I knew right from wrong and was struggling inside with the path that was calling me, I made the wrong choices. As have many of the people that live in this Iron House with me. I wish I could say that I was innocent and was wrongly imprisoned, but the fact remains that I wasn't, and I deserved to come here. I'm not on that path now, and have found within me, the peace that comes with knowing that we're fighting the good fight.

Without a doubt there are those within these walls, even our own brothers, that are using spirituality for their own personal gain. There are those who would seek outside help simply to run their own games and scams. But is it worth just disregarding and stereotyping all of us, quite probably punishing and holding back those who are on the Red Path?

The Sacred Hoop can never be healed under these circumstances. No hoop can be a completed circle until all of its members are included. I am assuming that if you're reading this, I'm more or less preaching to the choir, since you probably wouldn't have bothered checking out this site if you were completely anti-incarcerated. However, we need your help, too. Not just us, but every brother and sister that's incarcerated. We struggle each and everyday, the same kinds of struggles you have, as well as struggling against prison administrations that are cold and unfeeling, and prison life itself. There is absolutely nothing easy about following the Red Path in prison.

Earlier I mentioned that even within our own circle, there are no doubt those attending for their own reasons having nothing to do with spirituality or learning about and celebrating their heritage. They weed themselves out over time, and I'm content for the most part to let them do that, because along the way, we just might help show one of them the right way, and gain another brother for the struggle.

In parting, I have something for you to bear in mind. Statistics say that something like 98% of those incarcerated are going to eventually be back outside. They could easily be living in your community, neighborhood, even next door. Would you rather have him or her living there pretty much the same as when they went in, except even angrier, or would you rather they have used their time to learn about their traditions, ways, and spirituality?

Seems like an easy choice to me, but........

Kevin Henry

"Healing Our hearts"

September 11, 2001

Today, all the people of the world suffered a terrible and tragic loss as result of terrorist attacks on innocent men, women, and children in the World Trade Center Towers in NYC, and the Pentagon in Washington, DC.

This was a cowardly and dishonorable act perpetuated not only against all Americans, but also against all the decent people in the World. This was a horrible act against humanity, born of hatred and anger in the hearts of evil men.....Not Of God.

Today, I speak from my heart and the hearts of the men of the Native American Community here at I.S.P. to all of your hearts.
The only way to heal our hearts of this overwhelming sadness, loss and anger is to "unite" into one family, regardless of our differences and be of one purpose.

Let our purpose be to love and support one another. Love is stronger than any other thing, even the kind of hatred that was set upon the people of the world by these Cowardly, evil men. It is a message that rings out loud from every religion.....Love One Another....

No one knows what lies ahead in the coming days. All we are assured of is right now. Hug your kids, Kiss your wife, or husband, spend time with your friends and neighbors. Let them all know you love them. If we all do this, there won't be a place left in the world where this kind of hatred can exist....This to me, is the greatest way we as a world wide family, can honor the men, women and children who have tragically lost their lives today.

Our thoughts, and prayers go out to all the victims of these tragic events, and all our relations.....

Bear Hayes
Spiritual Leader/Representative
N.A.S.C.C.
Indiana State Prison

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 01-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Hey all just writing a post asking that you may all please pray for my hubby who is a Native Americain man doing time in solitary confindment and latley the guards have been hassling him and not allowing him to use the phone so I have no talked to him since he was moved to the Penitentary and I am very lost without him but him more then me needs to be prayed for him name is Koleman if some people could just pray for his well being that would be great!

My PFV baby...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badboyluv For This Useful Post:
Ramira34 (09-18-2012), teresa marshall (10-31-2010)
Old 01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
waiting for my heart

I will send my prayers up for you husband and you as well. I will ask Raven to do the same.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:45 AM

Will do, Buffaloes Wifey...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 02-07-2006, 04:27 PM

Default In the Spirit of Crazy Horse

Silence, they say, is the voice of complicity.
But silence is impossible.
Silence screams.
Silence is a message,
just as doing nothing is an act.
Let who you are ring out & resonate
in every word & every deed.
Yes, become who you are.
There's no sidestepping your own being
or your own responsibility.
What you do is who you are.
You are your own comeuppance.
You become your own message.
You are the message.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
Leonard Peltier

(til the next time)

Cyndi
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingy For This Useful Post:
kokomisis (12-03-2013)
Old 02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Account Closed

Default The Greatest Weapon of Any Spiritual Warrior is Love

The greatest weapon of any spiritual warrior is love. Love will change minds, love will forgive, love will let go, love will cause good luck, love will heal , love will cry, love will get rid of resentments, love will overcome fear, love loves love. Any human being who is loving will be guaranteed respect, respect loves love. We need to love and respect ourselves.
Vickey Downey, Tewa Women United

I received this meditation from my penpal with a beautiful buffalo drawn with the tiny stub of a pencil without an eraser, the only supplies he's allowed. He has been in prison most of his adult life and is having a tough time in a maximum detention unit for his own protection, sharing a 2-man cell with 3 people, one of whom must sleep on the floor with a leaking toilet. He was finally allowed a brush to comb his beautiful long hair which had become matted and took him hours to untangle. Please keep him and the two other Pimas with whom he shares his cell in your prayers, that they will be allowed access to their religion and humane treatment.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 PM

boozhoo! i'm new to this pto site, just joined today. my man clarence is in lewisburg, far from me. I feel pretty lonely at times, but he has grampa over there and thats a good thing. i have my daughter, and she is a good thing too! looking forward to a visit this july when his visits are reinstated. i hear about all kinds of things happening in the prisons, and, i guess i never knew people could be so cruel. so it is a good thing to have this place to go to and find some comfort in the fact that i am not alone, like i've been feeling. i also have a son in another usp, and he's been going thru hard times since his woman left him. there isn't much i can do about that, except keep an eye on the babies he left here. sometimes this whole life feels overwhelming, but granny always said i had courage and she wouldn't lie to me! take care of yourselves. songway
Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Account Closed

A belated welcome, songway!

Just come on board and post when you feel lonely. We'll be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songway
boozhoo! i'm new to this pto site, just joined today. my man clarence is in lewisburg, far from me. I feel pretty lonely at times, but he has grampa over there and thats a good thing. i have my daughter, and she is a good thing too! looking forward to a visit this july when his visits are reinstated. i hear about all kinds of things happening in the prisons, and, i guess i never knew people could be so cruel. so it is a good thing to have this place to go to and find some comfort in the fact that i am not alone, like i've been feeling. i also have a son in another usp, and he's been going thru hard times since his woman left him. there isn't much i can do about that, except keep an eye on the babies he left here. sometimes this whole life feels overwhelming, but granny always said i had courage and she wouldn't lie to me! take care of yourselves. songway
Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Aaniin ezhi-bimaadiziyan, niijii?

I am glad you haVE FOUND US AND HOPE we will hear from you often! I visit Minnesnoooooooooooowta once or twice a year and look forward to the time I spend in the north woods.

It is my hope that you visit often to share what you learn and that you find support and understanding here.

Baa ma pii

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
madd&ms.shorty forever

my man is locked up until 2010 and he is a seneca indian.well iam new to this thread.it is very helping to read all the postes they help out alot.i miss him dearly, i really dont know if they let practice ,he really dosent say much.i know that he dosent want to cause problems while in there.he was adopted when he was 2 yrs old, so he really dossent know his real family,i had finally found his real father who now lives in lynnwood,NY.who has been very cerious about him.but nobody would give him any info about whats going on in his life,his father whos name is stoney didnt know that he was locked up .he was a very nice and caring man ,who was worried about christopher(madd).i had gotten his info to send to my huddy.he has been in the shu so i really dont get calls ,which brakes my heart.i dont know what to do cuz evry time i look at our daughter i start to cry.i hold it in so she dosent see.i am being strong for the both of us.i know that right now he seems down .i try to give him advice but how can i when i am in the same place.we have been together for 3 yrs but it seems like an eturnity.i love him with all my heart,we both are indian ,on both sides of my family and his too.i just thought that coming on here it would be very enlighting and i could get advice and speritual prayers too.my nanna told me i would find my heart but it would be a very trying path,now i found him and i want all the best for him.his father stoney is also is very interested in his well being, now we have contact with him it will be better for him in the long run.but i can pray all that i want but i think that it would help if somebody else could help out please. i just need some help.down and out but look up for guidense. thanks everyone!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Talking I visited my husband at the lodge last week

My husband named me Nanokashi when we first met. That's hummingbird, in the Potawatomi language.

He was out at the lodge for their monthly sweat last week, and was the firekeeper. He was singing a song he wrote for me when he looked up and there was a hummingbird, just a few feet away. The hummingbird seemed to be sitting listening to him sing our song and left when he was finished.

I love that we are so connected...

Now if only T-Netix would figure out how to connect us, we would be OK!!!

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 10-03-2007 at 06:42 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Donation Award 

My husband told me that the hummingbird symbolises 'eternal love' within his tribe.(Okanogan)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Question reddye69

I miss my brother soooii much he has about 16 months left in feds how can I send him this stuff???
Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,484 Times in 10,035 Posts

reddye, you'll probably need to talk to his prison chaplain and see if they will take donations.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Hi

I am new here. How do I find some Native men to write to? I am having trouble finding it. Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,484 Times in 10,035 Posts

You can check through our pen pal ads and see if any suit you - that'sHERE.

Other than that, I would check with each tribe; check with their councils and headquarters.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddye69 View Post
I miss my brother soooii much he has about 16 months left in feds how can I send him this stuff???
What is it that you would like to send him?
You can send money via western union or money order. You can send books directly from the publisher or book store. Amazon is fine.Other than that there is not much you can send.
If you would like him to recieve some additional mail you can enter his name in the card swaps on here.
Hope that helps.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army

Last edited by maytayah; 05-14-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucretia12 View Post
I am new here. How do I find some Native men to write to? I am having trouble finding it. Thanks
I hope you are able to find a penpal on here, if not I have a Native American friend who would appreciate some mail.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army