Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Visitation Everything related to Visitation. Please be sure and check the Regional Forums for your local visitation forum also!

Old 08-26-2005, 01:08 AM
John's Gracey

Angry Ex-Correctional Officer Wanting to see inmate. How do I get approved?

I use to be a correctional officer at a prison, after an inmate moved out of that prison we started to write to each other and he would call me. a couple of months later i quit the prison...that was a little over 2 years ago! No one at the prison he is at will answer him or me why i dont get approved or whats up with the whole situation - no answers no where!!! I heard an ex officer has to wait 2 years after leaving the system but i dont see that anywhere in writing. i have sent emails to DOC and yet again - no answers! Does anyone know information about this, know how i can get information and answers on this or has anyone experienced this like i have??? please help I WANT TO VISIT HIM VERY BADLY AND ITS BEEN FOREVER SINCE I'VE SEEN HIM!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

Hmmmm....I don't know what to tell you, but Welcome to PTO just the same.....
Just be persistent...I have found that persistance pays!
~Katie
Old 08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,914 Times in 950 Posts

I have been in this very same situation, I was a nurse who met my guy while working at the facility he was at. I'm sorry but in truth they hold all the power, they can deny you visits for any reason because they can, they consider visiting a privlege and not a right so they say who can come. I filed a written appeal with the central office of the DOC of my state it took 2 months for them to send me a letter of denial. They don't often approve these situations for visiting simply because they don't agree with them and want to discourage anybody from getting into the situation of falling of an offender. Keep trying is all the advice I can give, and have faith. Good luck...

Staci
Old 08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
waiting for my heart

The only people I know who have gotten approval in that situation are the people in texas after 2 years or when the two get married. Even then it's very hard. Raven and I are still fighting for visits. Good luck and welcome to PTO.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 PM

Well just so you guys know I think that's not fair at all-- once you are no longer employed by them why should they care?? Sorry you have to deal with this -- especially you Ravens-- it has been so long-- I think you are incredible in the fact you hang in there! Just know I've never worked for them and been put through some crap myself- hang in there, and if you think of something or need someone to write in support of you pm me! Best of luck guys!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:09 AM
waiting for my heart

Thanks Sam: They usually spout some kinda Krap about being a security risk but the truth is every correction officer feels betrayed when "one of their own falls for the other side" My answer to that is Raven is the best man I have ever met. Just in a horrible place. And to answer the problem of being a security risk most of us are not even trying to visit the prison were we worked. so thats BS as well.
Anyway will still fight for visits till Raven comes home.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:37 AM

2 yrs. after leaving the system! My god!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM

It is in Oklahoma OP's Staff and volunteers must wait 2 or 3 years once they leave before they can get on an inmates visiting list. (Sorry right off hand I don't remember if it is 2 or 3)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 PM

:'( Im gonna cry if this is the case. I will be sending in my app in a week or so and I want to go see my baby. I mean shit if you worked there obviously u can pass the background checks and shit, they let u in before. on a daily basis.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:38 PM
My baby is home!!!!

It depends on your state. I live in Texas and I got my visits after the two year wait. It wasnt easy, and no we were not married when we got our visits. You don't have to be. The catch is what they have in your file. If they have you had any type of relationship with them while you were working there they will make it impossible to get on their list. If you were writing him and he was calling you and they know it then I really doubt it that they are going to approve it. Everytime you apply they are gonna use that against you. It's sad but true.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:51 PM

We had no relationship while I was there. He started writing to me after I left. I knew him before he ever went in, I just lost track of him for a few years. But while I was working there I told him it was strictly professional, our past was our past, blah blah blah, and he was fine with that. But once I left he tracked me down and we started writing. So they can't hold anything against me from when i was there.

Can I request to see my file to see what is in there?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

I think word got out while you worked there that you knew this man.People talk in prison, and of course you know about snitches. It is a slap in the face to the DOC to see one of their former co workers want to visit an inmate. So, it could be a combination of any number of things. Basically the DOC is God over the inmates life and his/her life. I would check the Freedom of Information policies to see if your file is available.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Thanks Rick, I am going to look into it. Cause there better not be anything bad in there. I never did anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with having friends, he made his mistakes when we weren't even hanging out and he is doing his time for that, that shouldn't be held against me.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Groovin' for Life
Donation Award 

There was a girl that visited at the prison that I was at that used to be a CO. She was caught with him almost red handed. They found her clothing and letters in his cell and everything and she sued the CDC nd I think it was 9-10 months after she was FIRED, not quit, she was up there visiting him. She was even charged with a crime while that was going on. She ended up going to jail for having sex with him while he was in prison but I think CA still allowed her to visit with a letter from her parole officer. She retained a lawyer and her lawyer handled a lot of it. But just keep trying, she did and she ended up married to the guy, so it does happen!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 PM

good for her, I am waiting to see if he gets transfered to county. If he does then I can go see him and we are hoping that will happen in the next month or so. Luckily he will be out next summer not matter what so I dont have super long to wait. Just feels like forever.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 AM
My Baby Loves Me!!

well i wouldnt know anything about this but it sure sounds like u are going down the right paths GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 AM
A Long Wait To Go...

Sounds like your doing everything right to be able to see him. Just dont give up and let them see that, they are really bothering you. Good luck. I hope you get to see him soon.

Cass