Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Invitation to request and offer sacred items and medicines for our incarcerated loved

ones.

Harvesting season is upon us. Many of our native medicines and sacred items will be harvested, beginning now.

I have seen requests for these things previously in the NA Forum and thought today as I was checking out old posts that we should make a sticky for the requests so they dont get lost and so if someone provides our loved ones with what is requested it can be posted and the items can be sent elsewhere...

Usually, to get these items inside one must a have a donation request form, supplied by the chaplain. I would advise putting the contact information with the request. I have free long distance and would be willing to make the call if your finances are limited. PM me if I you need help.

In a lot of facilities, tobacco, even used for prayer is not allowed...there are many other sacred medicines also used in pipe ceremony, some should not be harvested unless one knows the proper procedure so as not to damage our green brothers and sisters.

PLEASE...do not harvest anything if you are not sure how or which part of the plant is used...ALWAYS harvest in a good way with prayer and an offering...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Gifts from our winged brothers and sisters

Moulting season has begun for our winged brothers and sisters. Many of our incarcerated loved ones amd circles are allowed feathers. One only has to contact their chaplain to find out the proper procedure.

A walk around any shore of a lake or pond will provide feathers for many incarcerated native brothers and sisters.If you sit and watch the beaches you can see where they ducks and geese gather, twice daily to preen, pulling old feathers and leaving them as gifts. Checking around the bases of birdfeeders and birdbaths and trees that surround them will provide more. The moulting season begins in July, peaks in august and ends in september. Perhaps those of us that have access to lots pf feathers can share with those that dont. I know I have seen requests for feathers here before.

When requesting feathers please include your loved ones chaplains information and if possible a link to the facilities donation form, your loved ones name and the name of the circle with whom he prays...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Cedar

There are many stands of cedar trees in my area and I would be happy to share with those who request it...let me know if you prefer dried or fresh..

please include with your request the name and contact info for your loved ones Chaplain, a link to a donation request form, if there is one your loved ones name and the name of the circle with whom he/she prays

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 07-30-2005, 11:05 AM

Default still looking for feathers

hi everyone ;
im still on a turkey feather hunt for the nc indian inmates; i just missed 55000 thousand last thursday; a good ole boy collects them and takes them to mexico to some tribual thing there freei told him what we needed and he lives in elizibethtown nc; told me if i could have caught him on wendsday before he delivered the feathers on thursday he could have filled chaplain clarks office full; oh well thats my luck ya;ll keep us in mind ok love and prayers albajo
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
No more exploitation

How many do they need ?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM

we have several thousand indian inmates from nc and 1 chaplain ;only about a 1/3 or less ;have all thay need so any would be a tremendous help!! love and prayers albajo
Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
the booga with the shuga

I have a few.............

Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Heres The Chaplians Address;
Chaplain Raymond Clark
C/o Robeson Cc
Po Box 1979
Lumberton North Carolina
Phone 910-618-5535
Fax 910-618-5532

Now If You Would Like Me To Pay You Back The Postage Jist Pm Me With Your Address And I Will Send You A Money Order; God Will Surely Bless You For Your Generosty!!tell Ray Im Still Ahunting Love And Prayers Albajo
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Being crazy is freedom

I will try and see what I can do. I live in turkey central up here and I am positive my brother has some. I will start looking for you.

Blessings
Old 08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Being crazy is freedom

PS Have you tried contacting organic farmers that raise wild turkey or free range turkeys?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:14 PM

I got a couple wings and breasts this weekend, so i will contact the chaplain tomorrow...with fall coming up i expect to get some more,. will let you know...

moving this thread to

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 PM

yes; all we have around here are pulletts;there is also a need for the 89 cent plastic boxes with white lids little shoe boxes thats all that is allowed;thay can be found at walmart in kitchen/ household supplies; i found the ceder pet bedding and put little freezer bags full; ray said it worked good; now does anyone know where the magizine that sells pipes and such is and how i can order him one;
(my little warchild) he really wants his pipe so i want him to have it;thank you so much for all your help; our inmates here have a hard time being indian but i will go to sue myrick before i see them lose their religous rites!!! as ive read where a prison somewhere made them take there sweat lodge down and remove all evidence of it; i dont like that a bit; but all i can do is do my best to help our nc inmates;we have gotton some things so far and trust me it is much apperchated(cant spell) anyway we thank you a whole bunch; and deseriee we will never forget your kindness!!!!! love and prayers
as we walk the red road in jesus name
albajo
Old 08-11-2005, 11:38 PM

there's plenty of places that sell pipes, although a pipe for ceremony, to the best of my knowledge should not be sold or paid for...they are made or recieved as a gift from one who knows they have earned the privledge to carry and know how to carry it with honor..Pipe ceremny (not necessarily personal) is a serious undertaking and absolutely should not be messed with by an individual who has not recieved proper instruction...

If it were me? I would contact the local native community (in NC there are plenty) and ask thier advice and guidance
anyways, go to google and type in ceremonial pipe, if you choose...ebay is always selling them too

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 PM

I collect feathers, mostly Crow, but do have a few and search daily so if they are needed let me know. I will cont. with my search.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,001 Times in 760 Posts

Hi Cyndi, my husband's facility could use some cedar if you are still offering. I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM

returned your PM Lisa and heading how to get some cedar...I know they can never have enough, but I wont take alot at one time...but i can continue sending it, on a regular basis, no problem...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-30-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Harvest is almost over

available now for harvest...

it is the harvest season, and there are plenty of things out there we can harvest and send to circles, inside the walls...both for crafting and ceremonial purposes.

grapevine, willow for hoop making (dream catchers, mandelas, and shields)

Kinnick-Kinnick or bear berry for ceremony

Cedar for ceremony

Sumac for ceremony

If you are not sure how to properly harvest the medicines, than please be sure to ask...

Never take the roots of a plant, unless it is the root that is needed

offer your thanks and gratitude before cutting

call the chaplain or native advisor and find out what and how to get it to the circle...

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 10-30-2005 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM

north carolina chaplain still has a great need for turkey feathers; he may be contacted at the following address;
chaplin attoney clark
c/o robeson cc
po box 1979
lumberton north carolina
phone# 1-919-618-5535
fax# 1-910-618-5532
hes the only one who takes care of our north carolina na inmates so any and all help will be very grateful; not only for the chaplian but for the inmates as well; this man has a hard job by hisself makeing sure the na inmates are supplied their rights; and hes fighting a good fight for them; please help f you can
god bless those of you who can help and those of you who cant; and know god loves all his children;
love and prayers albajo
Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 PM

i'LL GIVE HIM A CALL...JUST GOT SOME TURKEY FEATHERS, AND i HAVE BENN PICKING UP GOOSE FEATHERS...OOPS SORRY ABOUT THE CAP LOCK...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Keeping the faith

Default Turkey Feathers

Will put out the word here in Missouri. Fall Hunting season is upon us, and if I come across any, I will let you know!

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Cedar for a wedding

Dear Cyndi,

I am performing a wedding for a couple. He is Duck Valley Paiute Shoshone and she is Choctaw. We'd love some dried cedar to burn at the ceremony.

This is in a California prison. I have no idea whether they will allow us to burn sage or cedar since the ceremony apparently must be done in the visitor's area.

Aikya
Old 01-24-2006, 09:53 AM

Default happy to help

contact the chaplain to find out and ask him to send you a donation form, if it is required.,...I can send it directly to the prison, or to you, your choice...PM me the info, I can put it in the mail on friday...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Default 2 Reqests...Indiana and Massachusetts

the Four Winds Circle in Indiana at Wabash Valley are in need of sweet grass. They are weaving baskets for elders. The gifts will be distributed through out Indian Country as they are finished. You may recall the medicine bag they made for elders. To date 7 of those bags have been gifted to Councils to gift to deserving elders. The gifts have ben recieved as far west as wisconsin all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. With each new contact the gifts travel further. I have donated sweet grass in the past, but at this time, i am broke (only financially, not to worry ) I hope you can help

I have begun working with in the Massachusetts DOC presenting a gift that was given to me by the White Bison Organization for Wellbriety. The kinnik kinnik, that the crcle was using when I was there was horrible stuff. There was so much mullien in it that it looked moldy, i can't imagine smoking it and the circle was very uset about having to use for Ceremony. If you want, i can send you postage, and you can send it to the DOC contact or to me...

thanks, Cyndi

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Time for Tea

Hi, I was reading over the thread here asking for feathers. Does these feathers have to be from wild birds? Or can they be from parrots? I have a very large Macaw who has beautiful (green,orange and blue) feathers. We also have an African Gray that has soft gray to silver feathers with a red tail. We also have a couple of bright yellow birds who have feathers the color of lemons. If there is anyway possible there feathers could be used I would love to donate them when our babies grace us with them. Its that time of year and I keep picking up little feathers everywhere. I know of others that sale them on ebay but I have never felt it was right for the feathers of my birdy friends. I wanted some thing very special for them and this could just be it, that is if ya'll are able to use them. Please let me know.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Time for Tea

also wanted to ask about quail feathers if or when our quail ever drop any. I can save them but they will be tiny.