Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:43 AM

Default The Moccasin Telegraph

Nothing, no invention is more efficiant than the moccasin telegraph. the Moccasin telegraph, since the begiining of time has carried news across Indian county.

Here's our smaller version of the moccasin telegraph...lets keep in touch with each other . Whats happening with you? your loved ones inside and out? been to a pow wow or headed to one? whats going on in your community? Whatever it is...share it here...

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 08-16-2005 at 06:15 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Account Closed

I like this idea Cyndi!!

I am looking for a contact, preferably email, to the Tulsa Powwow, or would like to know if anyone attends it.

Anybody watching Into the West? I have heard mixed reviews from Native Americans. My Lakota pal in AZ was disappointed that they couldn't get the TNT station in his prison.

Heard from my pal at Newton, TX. They now have 20 guys in his circle--a real big number for his small yard--and they are from as many different tribes. Even in the heat, they have a great sweatlodge and lots of participation. It's making such a difference in their walk.

I'd love to hear what other circles are doing.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Account Closed

One more thing, I wanted to share about a new penpal whom I love already. My first lady who is the aunt of my youngest penpal. Got to admire her for wanting to turn her life around in her 40s and return to her roots on a reservation. She's White Mountain Apache.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM

Kwe Kwe,Ndibak! I posted this and then hadda run...but here I am now...Glad you like the idea Karen, hope everyone else does too...

Karen, thats awesome about your pen pals aunt, I am glad you are keeping each other company...I bet she has a lot of stories to tell!!!

I am so gald to hear about the your other pen pals circle...I pray for the day when Skeeter and his circles can do more ceremony than they are allowed now, although we must be grateful for even the little bit that they do get to do...

On that note, the circles' in Indiana have lost their spiritual advisor and i am so upset about it...this guy didnt do so much for them, but just his name allowed them to meet and do ceremony...if we/they cant find another spiritual advisor (and we have been looking for over a year) DOC will not let the circles meet at all and they will not be allowed to do ceremony either, as a group...or even smudge on their own...this guy, their spiritual advisor knew all this and yyet he resigned...he didnt even inform the circles just sent a letter to DOC...i dunno...I know i have high expectations of everyone, and i try hard not to, but what would it have hurt to tell the circles he will not be able to meet with them anymore (once a year was about all they saw him) and leave his name as spiritual advisor so the circles wouldnt lose what little they have...i dont get it ...can anyone make sense of that to me??? does anyone have any ties in Indiana? I have been looking hard for a long time...found a few possibles but am not comfortable bugging or pressuring people...

On a better note, I am headed Wednesday to Indiana...we will only get one 6 hour visit, but i will be so grateful for even that!!!

Pow wow this weekend, setting up for White Bison, powwow next weekend, doing a fry bread stand...powwow the weekend after, right on a triver in NH hoping to relax but i know someone somewhere will talk me into something..oh and i will be doing raffles to benefit White Bison, too

havent had a chance to look any further than that...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Default home again...and having computer problems

I.m back...this weekend was a wedding in the allagash wilderness, north woods of maine...this region is so beautiful...literally untouched by time and those who destroy our forests and waterways...even the animals dont know enough or care enough to be scared of man...or maybe they remembered that their ancestors had been honored and respected by our people,

anyways, it was a beautiful ceremony, uniting two of my dearest friends...women who walk with two spirits...you know back in the day our gay men and woman were honored and respected within their community for their ability to see and understand both a man and a woman's point fo view.they were also the only people who were allowed to learn, teach and carry both male and femaile medicines into the future...something to think about, something else that was lost in the invasion...

anyways...it was a wonderful day to share with friends and family on the mighty kennebec river.

Oh and i want to apologize for being so absent lately...our lan is all msessed up here, and i havent been able to get on or stay on the internet for quite some time. my son will fix it on his day off this week.

Adio

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 08-16-2005 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-14-2005, 10:02 AM

I love this idea , Wingy.

My desire is to attend more pow wow's and become more involved with my heritage. I have let that side go for many years. As I told you , my great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee but since she was taken from her family and home and forced to live in his world much of her teachings were lost to me. So it is important to me to gather more understanding and become involved. My daughter and grand children live in Tulsa Ok so when I go back I do try to get more involved but since I do not get back all that often it is hard.
I always feel good when I come here and being around you all in spirit. I can feel your power wingy and it is an honor.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31 PM

Lilith, thanks for the compliment, It is not my power you feel, I am human and weak. As we all do, I do carry certain medicines, however. I am grateful and honored that you recognize that... I hope too that you know your own...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM

I am still trying to find resources for the upcoming pow wow this fall at Airway Heights Corrections, in Washington. I sent out a bunch of letters asking for donations or anything but nothing has come thru! I just recently went to a potlatch(locally) which was a lot of fun! It's just too bad my boyfriend couldn't have come with me. Someday. I'm not Native, but my boyfriend is, and Im very interested in the Native culture.~Gabby~
Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 AM

Hi Gabby!!! welcome to our little forum...its great to hear that your out there doing what you can for our people inside...I would love to hear more about the powwow, perhaps I can help with some kind of donation if you can be more specific about what you are looking for. Also, I have a lot of experience fund raising so I would be happy to share that with you too...Kust from what you said I about sending letters...thats a good start and its exactly how I start too...next step is to call the places you sent letters to and find out who their community liason is, or who handles donations, etc...then give them a call, make sure they recieved your request and it was in the right format, if the need more information, give them an idea about what the project will do, spiritually, financially etc for the inmates or the facility. There are also guidelines for a lot of companies in submitting and requesting donations, for the future ask about those...its real easy for people to ignore a letter, not so easy to ignore a phone call and even less to ignore a face to face visit, so if possible make an appointment with the person...hope this helps...give me a shout if you need more ideas...this is one of my forte's....GOOD LUCK!!!

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Thanks so much! Right now things arnt going good for my guy, hes in the hole, and may be transferred! Once this is all over with, Im sure I will be searching again for more help. I appreciate your kindness! ~Gabby~
Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 PM

You are welcome wingy.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:53 AM

Hello, Just have aquestion that has been bothering me. And wanted to see what everyone thinks or knows. My son is in Michigan prison, he has turned to his native roots & learned so much on his own about his cluture. He started his own circle group & trys to teach the small group about positive native ways in life & the ways they are suppose to except them & teach them to others. But just recently he told me that when him & his group get together in their circle they are watched closely or made to breakup. He said that the blacks can group up & talk or what ever at anytime and even the whites can do the same & no one ever says any thing to either group, but the native American & Latino groups are not allowed to even group up in threes or more. One of the guys that was with my son at another prison was told, If he would stay away from this group his life would be a lot easier & he would get out alot quicker. He is also Latino. Well, he was just released in April. I don't understand why my son can't have his native circle & help teach some of the other people a little culture. Can anyone explanie this to me? A "Big" Thank You in advance. ~*Meme*~
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Account Closed

This seems like a good place to share this problem. I have a young man, 24, who will be paroled next year and he is strongly hinting that he wants to come to my state and wants my help. I can sure understand why he wants to get away from his old friends and the drugs and alcohol on the rez. And to tell the truth, I would love to have him here--his offense is pretty mild. But my husband and kids would freak. He has a cousin who is an accomplished artist and I am going to suggest that he contact him. Any other suggestions? He's a Dine/White Mountain Apache from Arizona.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRsMOM
Hello, Just have aquestion that has been bothering me. And wanted to see what everyone thinks or knows. My son is in Michigan prison, he has turned to his native roots & learned so much on his own about his cluture. He started his own circle group & trys to teach the small group about positive native ways in life & the ways they are suppose to except them & teach them to others. But just recently he told me that when him & his group get together in their circle they are watched closely or made to breakup. He said that the blacks can group up & talk or what ever at anytime and even the whites can do the same & no one ever says any thing to either group, but the native American & Latino groups are not allowed to even group up in threes or more. One of the guys that was with my son at another prison was told, If he would stay away from this group his life would be a lot easier & he would get out alot quicker. He is also Latino. Well, he was just released in April. I don't understand why my son can't have his native circle & help teach some of the other people a little culture. Can anyone explanie this to me? A "Big" Thank You in advance. ~*Meme*~
I have heard this too and my theory on this is that people fear what they do not understand. We are a mystical people and most of the anglo world are of a dogmatic belief system so they fear the power. Now, that is just my humble opinion as to why the guards do break it up. The ghost dance was greatly feared and was forbidden. The whites would drag and arrest or kill those attempting do it. The power from the circle is great and I think the guards and others know that so they fear it.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:39 PM

Where White Men Fear to Tread : The Autobiography of Russell Means

Has any one read this?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Another thing comes to mind as to why guards break up the native american spritual practices is because the word "religion" to the many , traditionally brings to mind a church or a synagogue, or scriptural texts, and the rituals surrounding birth, marriage, death, or the high holidays.Many may think simply like to think of weekly worship services led by a kindly older gentleman dressed in the vestments of priestly office.
So the "christian and muslim world does not understand about that the histories and the sacred places that are tying a new generations to their ancestors and the land forms the central bonds of tribal culture and identity. The Native American Religious ceremonies and rituals are conducted at spiritual sites, using natural tokens such as tobacco, peyote, sage, and eagle feathers celebrate the creator of the earth and are the essence of native spiritual expression.. The Christians worship in buildings and form groups and have a leader who tells them what god expects. The Indian already knows in his heart what the creator expects . ( I am not knocking chrisitanity just saying what I think the problem may partially be)

"Prison authorities often prohibit incarcerated Native Americans from conducting ceremonies and traditions central to their spiritual beliefs. Religious practices, such as possessing tobacco and prayer pipes, burning cedar and sage, participating in sweat lodges, and growing long hair are banned in many prisons. Some authorities do not allow the construction of sweat lodges or grant adequate facilities to conduct ceremonies. These rules infringe on the rights of Native Americans to practice their traditional faiths. However, a significant legal victory was delivered to minority religious practitioners on May 31, 2005, that should compel all prison facilities to re-evaluate their rules on religious practice. The Supreme Court ruled in the case of Cutter v Wilkinson that local, state, and federal prisons must meet inmates’ needs to carry out their spiritual lives and practice their religions. The decision upheld the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA). RLUIPA protects the free exercise of religion "where State and local governments seek to impose a substantial burden on the religious exercise of persons residing or confined to certain institutions." The court found that a prison providing proper facilities, sacred objects, holy books, and access to religious leaders, thus enabling full religious practice amongst its inmate population, does not privilege religious practitioners over other prisoners. The court also found that prisons' accommodation of religious practice does not constitute a federal establishment of religion."

Old 08-27-2005, 01:16 PM

A quote from Native American Religions by Arlene Hirschfelder and Paulette Molin (Facts on File, New York, 1992, ISBN 0-8160-2017-5) is instructive:
".....the North American public remains ignorant about Native American religions. And this, despite the fact that hundreds of books and articles have been published by anthropologists, religionists and others about native beliefs......Little of this scholarly literature has found its way into popular books about Native American religion..."
Yet Natives culture and religion should be valued. They have made many contributions to North American society:
an awareness of concern for the environment food staples such as corn, beans, squash, potatoes and sweet potatoes the design of the kayak, toboggan and snowshoe the original oral contraceptive cotton over 200 drugs, derived from native remedies.
It is ironic that the wine that is the Christians' most sacred substance, used in the Mass to represent the blood of their God, has caused such a trail of devastation within Native populations. And the Natives' most sacred substance, tobacco, has caused major health problems for so many Christians.

Last edited by lilithinwaiting; 08-27-2005 at 01:21 PM..
Old 08-30-2005, 06:16 AM

Default aplogies and updates...

Hi all!!

first of all i want to apologise for being so absent latley...got a coupla reasons for that..

my computer is running sooooooooooooooooo slow and although i check in every day, posting is a nightmare...dunno why..

I have an EEOC case pending against the post office and last week we recieved a notice of dismissal without a hearing...the decision was based on the lies in the affadavit of the offending party... had to really scramble with the lawyers to file an appeal and affadavits disproving the lies

Next week i will be leaving on a month long road trip (aaaaayyyyyiiieeeeee) been looking at new cars and trying to get everything on the homefront organized to be handled while i am gone...and looking at cars to take the trip in,,,something more economical than my current vehicle , but still with enough room for my dog to be comfortable, as it will be his dog house, when i go places he cant go,,,wanting a scion xb bad but maybe settleing for a suzuki forenza

I am also looking at laptops and wify thingies so i can stay tuned to PTO while on the road...

Its been 16 years since i have gone cross country and as many years since i have seen some of my friends who are off the beaten track...i will be spending time in Indiana, of course...checking back every 2 weeks for a visit with my hunny,,,and visiting in penn, ohio, illinois, michigan, wisconsin, minnesota and over the border, back to indianan, then off to illinios, oklahoma, new mexico, arizona, nevada and then stopping in laguna beach to spend some time with my baby sister and her family...back to indiana, and then back to mass...

I will be attending some pow wows while en route. the big one for me will be in Indiana, in the town next to the prison where my husband is locked up. A medicine bag, made by the circle of which he is a part will be gifted there to an elder of the SCAIC choosing, We hope that a lot of the prison staff will be attending, and have had a good resonse from the staff. Ii is my personal hope that it will open some minds and inspire someone to take on the role of spiritual advisor to the circles at WVCF.
I am hoping to attend the annual indian summer event in milwauki.

I just cant wait!!! not only to see my husband 4 whole times in a month, but also to catch up with old friends, and travel again...I have been such a good mom, stable and all that while my son grew up, but i gotta say i am sooooooooooooooooo psyched to be on the road again...something thats in my blood...my people were semi nomadic and i have always been a nomad, until my son turned school age and i knew for him, i needed to settle down...

Oh!! and i have a cottage on a lake in Indiana, and some of the girls from the indiana forum will be joining me for the weekend and the pow wow!!!!

if anyone has any thoughts on laptops and wify i would love to hear them...

i leave next tuesday, very early in the morning....

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 08-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Account Closed

I envy you Cyndi. I would love to take a trip across country but I will be traveling a bit too. For my birthday in a couple of weeks, my husband and I will go to Estes Park near Rocky Mountain National Forest. Then on to San Francisco the last week of Sept.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that I love. I now only stay at hotels with wireless. Even found a few in Indian Country. Of course, you can always just pull into their parking lots to check email. The only problem, I spend way too much time on the net because I can carry it everywhere, even outdoors.

Cyndi, if you drive through Colorado, let me know and I'll treat you to lunch. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Love, Karen

PS So sorry about your legal problems. You will be in my prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingy
Hi all!!

first of all i want to apologise for being so absent latley...got a coupla reasons for that..

my computer is running sooooooooooooooooo slow and although i check in every day, posting is a nightmare...dunno why..

I have an EEOC case pending against the post office and last week we recieved a notice of dismissal without a hearing...the decision was based on the lies in the affadavit of the offending party... had to really scramble with the lawyers to file an appeal and affadavits disproving the lies

Next week i will be leaving on a month long road trip (aaaaayyyyyiiieeeeee) been looking at new cars and trying to get everything on the homefront organized to be handled while i am gone...and looking at cars to take the trip in,,,something more economical than my current vehicle , but still with enough room for my dog to be comfortable, as it will be his dog house, when i go places he cant go,,,wanting a scion xb bad but maybe settleing for a suzuki forenza

I am also looking at laptops and wify thingies so i can stay tuned to PTO while on the road...

Its been 16 years since i have gone cross country and as many years since i have seen some of my friends who are off the beaten track...i will be spending time in Indiana, of course...checking back every 2 weeks for a visit with my hunny,,,and visiting in penn, ohio, illinois, michigan, wisconsin, minnesota and over the border, back to indianan, then off to illinios, oklahoma, new mexico, arizona, nevada and then stopping in laguna beach to spend some time with my baby sister and her family...back to indiana, and then back to mass...

I will be attending some pow wows while en route. the big one for me will be in Indiana, in the town next to the prison where my husband is locked up. A medicine bag, made by the circle of which he is a part will be gifted there to an elder of the SCAIC choosing, We hope that a lot of the prison staff will be attending, and have had a good resonse from the staff. Ii is my personal hope that it will open some minds and inspire someone to take on the role of spiritual advisor to the circles at WVCF.
I am hoping to attend the annual indian summer event in milwauki.

I just cant wait!!! not only to see my husband 4 whole times in a month, but also to catch up with old friends, and travel again...I have been such a good mom, stable and all that while my son grew up, but i gotta say i am sooooooooooooooooo psyched to be on the road again...something thats in my blood...my people were semi nomadic and i have always been a nomad, until my son turned school age and i knew for him, i needed to settle down...

Oh!! and i have a cottage on a lake in Indiana, and some of the girls from the indiana forum will be joining me for the weekend and the pow wow!!!!

if anyone has any thoughts on laptops and wify i would love to hear them...

i leave next tuesday, very early in the morning....
Old 09-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Karen? can you believe it??? even campgrounds, a lot of them, have internet connections!!! who woulda thought???

anyways, with the purchase of the new car, the idea of a lap top is out the window, but i can use the libraries, en route...also with the price of gas the chances of me making it too far past indiana are slim, not giving up but getting used to the idea...i will let you know as i move westward...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 09-04-2005, 07:29 AM

Wow, I too envy you! It sounds like a wonderful time full of adventures ahead of you.
As I too want to be able to travel much more I've been looking into ways to do so when working, and found some interesting possibilities. And than I read your remark that the semi nomadic is in your blood..............big duh moment here.......... how could I forget: I'm not of Native American descent, but my family used to travel the fairs!
Good luck with the legal stuff and finding someone to be the spiritual advisor for the circles at WVCF, most of all: have a wonderful trip!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Account Closed

Darn, I don't think gas is going to come down soon.

Thank goodness for libraries. Surprises me about the internet connections in campgrounds. Yesterday, I heard from one of our PTO members from an internet cafe in Egypt!

Stay connected and safe and thank your hubby for my two wonderful pals!

Karen

Quote:
Karen? can you believe it??? even campgrounds, a lot of them, have internet connections!!! who woulda thought???

anyways, with the purchase of the new car, the idea of a lap top is out the window, but i can use the libraries, en route...also with the price of gas the chances of me making it too far past indiana are slim, not giving up but getting used to the idea...i will let you know as i move westward...
Old 09-04-2005, 07:26 PM

Good luck wingy!!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 PM

hey all...I am in Indiana in my little cottage on the lake...well no i am in the library now...trip here was looooooooooong...so long i missed my first visit with my hunny, we'll make that up at the end...The weather has been unbelievable warm...so hanking at the lake has been goo. Waboso, my dog and I take care of any busness in the morning...spend the hottest part of the day under the trees by the lake and do some visiting at night. The pow wow is this weekend, and I will present the medicine bag to the council and they in turn will gift it to an elder...i already know who...and what a small world, he is friends with friends of mine...if you need proof about how circles work in our life, there you go...

I am headed down to the angel mounds in southern indiana. I will stop and pay my respects to the ancestors, there...then spend a few days in Kentucky...just exploring...headed back here to carlisle for another visit and then north to the great lakes states of Michigan, Wisconsin and minnesnoooooooowta where i will visit with different friends...back to indian for to more visits with my husband and then returning to Mass...Yeah, no cali this time around...but the plan now is to winter in arizona...iwill be able to see my baby sister in california then...

ok, you guys!!! take good care!!!

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Account Closed

Default Hi everyone

I was hiking up a mountain in the snow yesterday in the Rocky Mountain National Forest. It was so cold!!

I am sorry you missed your hubby. His old cellmate enjoyed having rec time with him and hopes they can be in the same area soon and your hubby convinced him to put me on his visiting list! Tell him thanks for me.

Hope you have a good time at the Powwow. Sounds like a great itinerary. I am from KY. Are you going to Louisville?

Drive safely!! Karen

Quote:
hey all...I am in Indiana in my little cottage on the lake...well no i am in the library now...trip here was looooooooooong...so long i missed my first visit with my hunny, we'll make that up at the end...The weather has been unbelievable warm...so hanking at the lake has been goo. Waboso, my dog and I take care of any busness in the morning...spend the hottest part of the day under the trees by the lake and do some visiting at night. The pow wow is this weekend, and I will present the medicine bag to the council and they in turn will gift it to an elder...i already know who...and what a small world, he is friends with friends of mine...if you need proof about how circles work in our life, there you go...

I am headed down to the angel mounds in southern indiana. I will stop and pay my respects to the ancestors, there...then spend a few days in Kentucky...just exploring...headed back here to carlisle for another visit and then north to the great lakes states of Michigan, Wisconsin and minnesnoooooooowta where i will visit with different friends...back to indian for to more visits with my husband and then returning to Mass...Yeah, no cali this time around...but the plan now is to winter in arizona...iwill be able to see my baby sister in california then...

ok, you guys!!! take good care!!!