Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Unit Specific Forums > Crain Prison Unit - Texas (Formerly Gatesville)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Gatesvile

To Auntkim:
Yes, I would like a copy of the comissary list. Daughter is going to Gatesville in about two weeks. Your message was very helpful to me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 AM

Unhappy She Is Going For the First Time-- HELP-Gatesville Prison Texas

Hi, i posted this in another part ofthe site but i thought it would be addressed here better. thanks.

hi, i am new to this and am glad to find this site. my wife of 6 months was arrested last month for her 2nd DUI. she was sentenced this friday for two years in prison. i am scared for her. she is 22 and a beautiful girl. she was a cheerleader in high school and college if that helps explain that. so my questions are, what is going to happen to her. what is jail like? what is she going to do, is she going to be in cuffs often, i want to know about her life in there. she will be going to gatesville in texas. she does not have a transfer date yet either. and what can i do to help my lonlieness. thanks, ben

Last edited by rangersguy; 12-26-2006 at 10:57 AM..
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Loving Life Now!!

Hi Ben. Welcome to PTO-hopefully we can help answer some of your questions.
I don't know a lot about the female prisoners-but there are a couple of the guys around that might be able to help you out a bit more with your questions.
As far as your lonliness-you have to continue to live your life. I know that is hard, but don't stop your life just because she's not there daily with you. You can visit and write letters-she won't be able to make phone calls to you though. (Phone calls are once every 90 days for 5 minutes on a speaker phone). As far as her being in cuffs-she shouldn't be, except for when she's transferred. She will be in cuffs the whole time she's being transferred from county to prison though.

Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done-we've all been in your place and we'll be here to support you though!

Nance
Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,583 Posts

Rangersguy, Hopefully she will be paroled fairly quickly. How much time has she done in County? I think this is the first person I have seen sentenced for a second DWI! They don't reach the felony stage until the third charge. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. There is a guy on PTO who might can help you out. His girlfriend is doing time for the same thing as is my son only his was more than two charges. His name is Robinsman. You might PM him for more information. I'm sure he would be glad to try and help you out.Good Luck and God bless! Welcome to PTO! Katy

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

I am really confused about a 2nd DWI as well. That simply is not a felony and does not carry TDCJ time. It takes three or more to consitute a felony unless the first offense was "under Section 49.08 (intoxicated manslaughter, added by RobinsMan) or an offense under the laws of another state if the offense contains elements that are substantially similar to the elements of an offense under Section 49.08". Until then it's a class A misdemeanor with a maximum of one year in county jail. Of course, that's just details to wonder about. If she's been sentenced to TDCJ then there was a reason.

I think that a two year sentence is actually pretty tough because she is likely to do all of it from all that I've heard.

You ask about what it's like inside. Some aspects of it will be a shock for her and you too. As much as you may not like to hear it at all it will help her greatly to hear about it before she catches chain in the middle of the night and suddenly she is living it. I think it likely that there are women in county with her that have been there before that could be filling her in but for the six months that Robin was in county and for all of the gals that she talked to she still had not heard it all.

PM me if you'd like.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 12-26-2006 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Robinsman, I knew you would be along to help this new member out. Thanks, Katy

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

Well, I am always willing to help anybody, if I can, but how could I not with all of the wonderful support that I enjoy from all of ya'll?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Mom of an EX-Inmate

Texas has recently enacted the toughest DWI laws in its history. Misdemeanor offenders can now face up to two year license suspension without the possibility of even a work-related driving permit. Repeat offenders often face punishments comparable to those meted out for sex-offenders and felony level theft offenses. Almost every person arrested for a DWI or DUI in Texas has more than one case to defend against.
Penalties for the first DWI are a jail sentence of up to 180 days, an optional fine of up to $2,000 dollars and a one year license suspension. The jail sentence is almost always probated. A second arrest within ten years of the first offense carries a punishment of up to a year in jail, a $4,000 fine and a two year license suspension. Felony level offenses provide for a minimum of two years in state prison and as many as twenty years for an intoxication manslaughter charge. It is not uncommon for a driver arrested for a felony DWI to receive a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.

Read more at:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._in_texas.html
Old 01-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thank you for an interesting read! Katy

Help Desk

Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
whatamess!

My daughter has made numerous mistakes due to usage and will go to SAFP when there is a bed available. I pray for her each day, but dread her questions about SAFP cause I don't know much and I don't want her to dread the inevitable. Any clue if SAFP is different than SAFP-Special needs, which is where she will go.

Thanks, kds'mom
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM

I have not had to deal with Safp, but a lot of people on here have, and I am sure someone will be along to answer your questions. I will be praying for you and your daughter to have strength to get through this.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:46 PM

which safp will she be going to if it is Halbert I know a little and another lady on here knows much more but if it is Hackberry I know some on that to
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Mom of an EX-Inmate

It probably is SAFP, Halbert Unit. My daughter just got released from there this past November. I can probably answer any of your questions. Just let me know what you want to hear about. You can PM me or ask here.

pami57
Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 PM

I think if she is classified as special needs then she will go to Hackberry safp in Gatesville Tx my neice was sent there because she had really high blood pressure her mother(my sister) was sent to Halbert safp in Burnet Tx
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
whatamess!

Trying to get as much info as possible to present to probation officers in Ft. Bend County, as the PO's don't seem to know anything about the punishment program they are sending people to.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:04 AM

do you know yet about where she will go if she is on Meds she will go to Hackberry Safp and if they are telling you Gatesville then it is for sure Hackberry that is the only Safp in Gatesville as Pami57 said she knows alot about Halbert and I know some things now
Old 03-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Hey Pami 57 Pam is finally off tight house about 32 days she came through it but I think she is bitter about it now she said they still do not have much free time she has 4 months to go and I pray they have a bed ready for the halfway house they still have not given hera mammo yet I have called and e-mailed people but still nothing she talked to a doctor about Depression and the doc said if she goes on meds that she will have to go to Hackberry but first she would be sent back to an ID unit to wait on a bed she is going to tough it out .She is not about to wait any longer she will get help out here instead .I hope your girl is doing well.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Live From Gatesville-Texas Prison

Tic Toc Tic Toc

Waiting for my visit in the morning!

1300 mile drive, but we do what we have to do!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

That is the truth if it was ever spoken!! We certainly do whatever it takes!! Glad to have you in Texas!! Have a wonderful visit!!

Help Desk

Old 03-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Register
Donation Award 

Hope you have a great visit and a safe drive.

softie
Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks softie, visit #1 is over and it was great!

Back tomorrow for another 4 hours and then heading back to California.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Register
Donation Award 

awwww that is great that you guys had a good visit.
I hope you both enjoy your visit tomorrow.

Have a safe trip driving back to Cali.

softie
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Unhappy Gatesville Unit questions-Texas Prison

HI all My Freind is in Gatesville , I am not reallysure ofalot in TDJC all I know is it is getting moreconfusing
I ve done time my self and it was nothing like what I am dealing with TDJC has me confused to the point of do they even know what they are doing ? it isas if they enjoy tormenting others and loved ones outside . onephnecall amonth no pay for work yes know slavery is lelgal for inamtes but most states have abolished that .
So she is lucky to get any money I send a little when I can had some sationary sent she got that and envelopes . Though I sometimes do not get letters for weeks and she called me asking about them inher onece a month call what is that all about ? Once a month is there any reason for that nonsense . I was surpsied said I never got them . she was not mad at me at me I send her mail any ways but she said something in Spanish quitely about them just letting mail sit around ! now that is just plain sick . lots of familes are waitng for letters it is all they get just send the mail !

One question does it take along time to get mail in and out of Gatesville on average it takes about 2 weeks or so . sometimes longer . I mail from Colorado In Pitkin county , mostly l I send it from Aspen . I am tyring a new idea and using priorty mail with online tracking , I hope it does not get her into trouble .
I hear TDJC can be very arbitrary

she is praying she will be out in a year or so I am not so sure it seems as If the BPP does what everthey want not folowing any rules or laws . I am afraid she will get flat Time that is going to be a long haul more than a few years and it is a wats to vist i hope can at least get 4 hr vits . orseeingshe has nofamiley that realy visits is it possible I could if I write really nice to have contact vists or will my record mess that up .

isgatesvill a realnightmare and harsh place . she does not say much other than she is afraid at times of COs mostly, they make advances at all the women in another place they raped some she heard . and they do strip seach she does not like to go into detail . I tell her just keep quite and do not say much keep a low profile read a lot go to classes . and just stay out of trouble never,
tell any one a bout your personal life it can be used agaisnt you .

I just want her safe and out of there .

Thanlks for any info and if ther is a place that is reasonble to stay near Gatesville . I can fly to either Dallas or Huston and get a cheap rental for a weekend
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Gatesville

Well, first welcome to PTO!

Mail: I write to Gateville almost daily from California and almost without fail travel time is 2 days either going to her or a letter coming from her. I've done the priorty mail with confirmation deal,and it gets there quickly, but once it hits Gatesville it's just regular mail to them so it will be delivered during the evening mail call so save the dough.

You refer to your loved one as a friend, so contact visits won't happen unless she is a trusty to the best of my knowledge.

If she's getting a call every month that's outstanding. The rule is one 5 minute call every 90 days and only if you have remained case free.

When I visit I stay at the Holiday Inn Express which is not the cheapest, but it's close. Of course anything in Gatesville would be close because it is so small.

Once I flew and when I did I flew into Austin. It's a smaller airport and about the same distance away. The next time I drove and I must say it was the experience of my life. I have never driven is such terrible weather! Kind of like what's going on in Texas right now!

If you are going to request a "special visit" which you qualify for if you are over 300 miles away make sure you call a few days in advance and that you are on her visiting list. Get the name of the person you talk to when requesting the visit (they are used to being asked), and get the name of the person who tells you that it has been approved when you call back. You'll be glad that you did because odds are that when you go to visit they won't have you down for the special visit and by having that info they can straighten it out quicker. ( 2 for 2 with me, and the first one took 20 minutes to get right) Just call Gatesville when you get ready to go and ask for inmate records, they are the ones that handle that.

I have only been there twice in the past year, in fact I am getting close to going again and I have to say that the visits went better than I anticipated. I treated the COs with respect and they returned the respect to me. I had no problems at all. Read the visiting guidelines in the "offender's guide book" available on line thru the TDCJ site and you will save yourself from getting into any trouble.

Hope this helps with some of your questions.....Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM

thanks howling wolf

I had the calls wrong one every 90 dys .
isright .
It takes at least 4 -5 days from the time it leaves Waco to get to me I am just curios about it getting thereandhowvlng also ido wantto knwothy haveit . icn ad on a few dats
then once itgets togatesville they mUst sit on it for a whilE as it seems that way

She does not have ,much .guess I can send a letter more often .it will keep in better sprits . iam niot sure of every thing else

Visits guess it wil lbe a non contact . even if she has nobody else . ? That is tough o every one . Well i just drop off a quick letter and see what happens . I and prrbably send more for stamps ihad nodea about that place .livend elearn I m a surpsied she is alowed to use power tools .

thanks a lot