Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Unit Specific Forums > Johnston Prison Unit - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Safe P in Winnsboro,Texas? Johnston Unit - Texas Prison

I believe that sometime in August my ex husband will be going to Safe P in Winnsboro,Texas. I mean, I know he will be going but I am not sure of the exact date. Can someone help me find information about Safe Pea? I have questions like what can you send in a care package (if you can send care packages)? How are visits and when are they? What can you bring them when you visit? Do they have to be there a certain amount of time before you can visit them? Are you allowed to write and are they allowed to write you? Do they only let you and let them write so often? What about phone calls? Can they only call collect? Or can you get them a prepaid calling card? Can you call them? Are there scheduled family activities especially around the holidays? I know I have a lot of questions so any help you can give me will help.

Last edited by ReggiesLady; 09-06-2008 at 11:04 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Can anyone help me?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:57 PM

My husband is waiting to go to a SAFP in San Diego texas. All that I have learned so far is that visits are on weekends and are two hour contact visits. I don't think they can use the phone. I know its six months and its supposed to be very tough. Its a rehab place but its also a prison. I guess it's up to our guys to make the best of it and get better. If you learn anything else let me know!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Default safpf

my son was taken to safp on 5/25/05. this is what i know so far.first they took him to a transfer diagnostic unit in huntsville. where he stayed for one week. and it takes tdc three to four days to get them in the system before they can even tell you that they are there.which is very aggravating.
just keep calling. i finally got one women who told me he was there and the date he would be leaving and to what safp unit he was going to. because he takes depression medicine he went to a special needs safpf unit called estelle.on june first he was moved there. i called and asked to speak with his counselor.she was very nice. she told me that my son was a loud to make a call when he arrived but our phone had a collect call block on it and i told her i had it removed and she told me he would call at eight oclock that night and on the dot he called.
we only got to talk for five minutes on speaker phone. they are not aloud to talk about money why i still don't know yet. but i tried to ask him had he got the money i put on his books and the guard or who ever said if you talk about money i will disconnect. but he sounded happy (keep in mind he has been he jail for six months) any way i got one letter since then and it said they do lots of outside exercises morning and night and about four hours of classes, he said the guards are very nice and the counselors and that there are alot of rules (tons of them) he said in was a loud to make store but only to buy hygiene and writing materials. and he can call me again in 35 to 40 days to let me know that he has passed the first stage and that is when he can have his first visit. he said they have very little free time. also visitation is saturdays and sundays and if a family member goes to a special class from 1 to 2 they get a five minute phone call that month. the letter came with rules for visitors and a map on how to get there. also they have available from 2to3 (special arrangements have to be made) a counselor and family members and inmate session. he said part of the place is air-conditioned and part not. he said there are four dorms each has 44 men in them. he said he has a window right by his bunk that looks out on to some beautiful country. i hope this helps you and others because the last two weeks have just been awful for me worriying about him but he sounds happier then i have heard him in the last six months. oh, and i found a place called jpay on the net that puts money on their books pretty fast other wise you have to send for deposits slips from tdc which i still have not gotten. or for a letter to arrive with one in it. and just a heads up the jail he was in, assured me his money would go with him, it didn't. when he writes again with more info. i will post.
thanks for the free therapy!
very worried mom
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaO
My husband is waiting to go to a SAFP in San Diego texas. All that I have learned so far is that visits are on weekends and are two hour contact visits. I don't think they can use the phone. I know its six months and its supposed to be very tough. Its a rehab place but its also a prison. I guess it's up to our guys to make the best of it and get better. If you learn anything else let me know!

So, they are allowed visits every weekend? So, no phone calls? Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM

I do not know the number to the one in Winnsboro. Hmm,they can not talk about money? Well,ok. The exercizes and classes sound good. What kind of classes do they go to? I am glad the counselors and the guards are nice. So, they can call once and can not call again for 35 to 40 days? Then they can visit for the first time? The counselor and family and inmate session sounds good. Thanks for the info about safep and jpay. I know it must be hard on you having your son there. I am here if you need to talk. PM me anytime. Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryworried mom
my son was taken to safp on 5/25/05. this is what i know so far.first they took him to a transfer diagnostic unit in huntsville. where he stayed for one week. and it takes tdc three to four days to get them in the system before they can even tell you that they are there.which is very aggravating.
just keep calling. i finally got one women who told me he was there and the date he would be leaving and to what safp unit he was going to. because he takes depression medicine he went to a special needs safpf unit called estelle.on june first he was moved there. i called and asked to speak with his counselor.she was very nice. she told me that my son was a loud to make a call when he arrived but our phone had a collect call block on it and i told her i had it removed and she told me he would call at eight oclock that night and on the dot he called.
we only got to talk for five minutes on speaker phone. they are not aloud to talk about money why i still don't know yet. but i tried to ask him had he got the money i put on his books and the guard or who ever said if you talk about money i will disconnect. but he sounded happy (keep in mind he has been he jail for six months) any way i got one letter since then and it said they do lots of outside exercises morning and night and about four hours of classes, he said the guards are very nice and the counselors and that there are alot of rules (tons of them) he said in was a loud to make store but only to buy hygiene and writing materials. and he can call me again in 35 to 40 days to let me know that he has passed the first stage and that is when he can have his first visit. he said they have very little free time. also visitation is saturdays and sundays and if a family member goes to a special class from 1 to 2 they get a five minute phone call that month. the letter came with rules for visitors and a map on how to get there. also they have available from 2to3 (special arrangements have to be made) a counselor and family members and inmate session. he said part of the place is air-conditioned and part not. he said there are four dorms each has 44 men in them. he said he has a window right by his bunk that looks out on to some beautiful country. i hope this helps you and others because the last two weeks have just been awful for me worriying about him but he sounds happier then i have heard him in the last six months. oh, and i found a place called jpay on the net that puts money on their books pretty fast other wise you have to send for deposits slips from tdc which i still have not gotten. or for a letter to arrive with one in it. and just a heads up the jail he was in, assured me his money would go with him, it didn't. when he writes again with more info. i will post.
thanks for the free therapy!
very worried mom
Old 03-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the info... my son was just sentenced to SafeP this Monday and I have no ideal what to expect, except that he would be in jail for at least 13 weeks before transferring him, I have no ideal which location they will place him, I just remember that when he was in RSAT it was so hard to get any kind of information from anyone!

Last edited by sandy6958; 03-27-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 AM

My husband is at Winnsboro. I can help with questions also.

HE'S HOME!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Welcome to PTO!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:16 AM

Welcome to PTO! Let us know what questions you have.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the PTO family.
Joy
Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Hello and welcome to PTO
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM

Default safe p

I reside in Houston, and i'm trying to seek information for someone who's in Harris County right now waiting on a bed for safe p. She wanted me to see if i could find out where the safe p is but i'm having no luck. Can anyone help me with this? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM

Here is a link to the TDJC directory it lists what units are SAFP units. I hope this helps.

Unit Directory - Region/Type of Facility/Map

If you have any other questions let me know.

Last edited by Renee; 04-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Hello ppl.. im looking at this safe p place and everyone i know is saying not to go. i revoked my probation after 7 years. 2 years ago i got a dwi and i got a dui chrismas eve. well my probation is down in dallas, tx but im living up in bethalto illinois which is about 20 mins outside of st.louis mo. well they are saying they are going to expedite me back down and give me safep. but is it worth it? i heard you will do 6months in county jail waiting on a bed. then 12 months in safep and then another 6months in a half-way house. i dont know but if there is anyone out there that can give me some advise let me know please. thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 PM

hi chedden,
I don't know that much i am new here but if they are going to extradite you back there your best bet is to go and turn yourself in to them because my fiance was extradited back to texas from tennessee and it took him 8 days handcuffed and shackled in a cage in the back of a small van and he had to go to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisanna and then up from the bottom of Texas to get there. I didn't hear from him for all of those days except the 1st day and they had put him in a South Carolina Jail and he luckily got to make a call. He said it was the worst thing he had every been through. He is now in Texas waiting on a bed at safp and has been there since 12/4/07. Hope this a little bit of help to you and good luck with your journey.

allison
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM

thx.. i was going to turn myself in anyways cuz i also was told that it cost a lot of money. my probation officer said that they would fly me on a plane
but ppl say just turn yourself in bc its better that way idk. but what im wanting to know if anyone can tell me a little about it? should i take this safep thing or go to prison? i heard that its a 12 month program and then 6 months of a half way house. then when you get out you get put back on probation, and that just doesnt sound good. so if anyone knows someone thats in there or going threw it or has please let me know -thx
Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Default my son is in safe-p Winnsboro

My son is in safe-p in Winnsboro Tx.If you E-mail me I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Dress code,visitation,money,the program,This is a great place if the person wants to change. It is hard, but well worth it. Leave your phone # and I will call you if you wish. The program is 6 months, and then up to 3 months in a half way. The wait to get in varies from location to bed availability. The normal wait is 2 weeks to 3 months. My son went in 17 days. You must be clean upon entry, and most people have to be in a " lock-up" for 30 days before consideration.
This place is run by tdc, and is a nice facility. All the guards,people,and workers there are nice,and are there only for the purpose of HELPING the guys recover.
E-mail me and I will call you . Steve
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

My brother is going back soon VOP...lucky not to get Huntsville this time..transfer from Dallas County..it's tough, military style but they get your mind right..unfortunately it is up to the person to keep it right once they get out..he'll probably have to do another 6-month stint
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 AM

if its okay my name is chad and my number is 618-520-2916 call me any time i live central USA. thx
Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM

My son will be going to a Safe P program in the next couple of weeks. I called TDCJ and spoke to someone about the program and she was nice and very helpful. In addition to the 6 month program and 3 month halfway, I was told that there is a 9 month intensive outpatient program. My son wants to know if he should definitely expect to be in the program for 18 months? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM

see thats what i was told something around 18 months or so. this is what an attorney told me
Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Unhappy Help Please

I am trying to find a good friend that I lost contact with. I was wondering if I tried to contact a SAFP and ask whether he is there or not, would they let me know or turn me down? I know that in some rehabilitation facilities they won't let you know anything at all.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

brittany probably not try the offender line
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Can anyone give me detail information about Safe P in Winnsboro? My son will be going there very soon? Im not sure if Im even using this site correctly? Anything anyone knows will be greatly appreciated.