Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:30 AM
waiting for his return

Default florida prison overcrowding

My husband called me last night and said that on the news last night was a story about florida prison overcrowding. He said that Gov. Bush was in a position to make a decision about what to do about it by May 6. I can't find anything about it on the internet and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I know about a year ago, there was a bill being considered for reinstating the 65% (instead of the current 85%) which would release a lot of our loved ones early. If anyone knows anything about this story, I would appreciate your knowledge. If I learn anything new, I too will post.

Thanks.

JenniferWilliam
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
missin my babe

i do not know about that, but i do know when my sweetir called saturday he said they got a group of them up to clean out a dorm they do not use. he thought maybe there was a fire somewhere else, but may just be making room.

j'slady

"warrior women"
Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
strong enough

I asked my fiance if overcrowding could help get him out, he says alot of the prisons in North Florida and Panhandle have plenty of beds, I don't know for sure.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren's girl
My husband called me last night and said that on the news last night was a story about florida prison overcrowding. He said that Gov. Bush was in a position to make a decision about what to do about it by May 6. I can't find anything about it on the internet and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I know about a year ago, there was a bill being considered for reinstating the 65% (instead of the current 85%) which would release a lot of our loved ones early. If anyone knows anything about this story, I would appreciate your knowledge. If I learn anything new, I too will post.

Thanks.
if you look online at the facilities you will see most house more then the capacity, haven't looked at them all though.
it seems a judge can let somebody with a rap sheet a mile long go on probation, and send somebody with almost no record to prison on a stetched out non violent crime.
it all depends how much money and influence is involved in wanting that person in prison.
i thought the constitution said equal rights for all, i think the law has it's own costitution.
about your question, i heard they want to reduce the size of classrooms for children, gee, i wonder if they will take that money and expand prisons, you think.
they don't care if you belong in prison or not, just if there twisted way of thinking can put you there.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Banned

As of TODAY, there are PLENTY of beds available in the D.O.C.

There is a LAW already in place to ease overcrowding in Fla. prisons.

The LAW is called Controlled Release.

When Flas. prison system reaches 99% capacity, the D.O.C. sentencing structure computers automatically enact a prg. that starts issuing the equivalent of large amounts of days of Provisional gain-time credits to certain inmates who meet certain criteria.

The result is certain inmates are informed that they will be released VERY SOON out of no where.

Unfortunately, The Controlled release prg. has not went into effect for years now, and in all honesty, I do not see Fla. Prisons becoming "Overcrowded " anytime soon.

Florida's penduleum has swung Way to the right in its attitudes towards inmates & their freedom. Thus, Florida has plenty of money set aside to build New prisons to keep plenty of beds available for newly comitted inmates.

Considering the recent media coverage of recently released inmates commiting new crimes, (Especially those with an S.O. status), and the end result of those crimes sadly being the deaths of children, you can surely believe that the citizens of this state will gladly pay as much money as needed to insure LONGER prison terms, and Less gain-time awards.

While there are those anticipating a reduction from the 85% gain-time awards to 65%...... I am sitting silently , but fully expecting the Day to come in the not-so-distant future where ALL gain-time is erased, and ALL sentences are 100% mandatory time.

Do not lose sight of the reality that this is FLORIDA, and this State GIVES nothing back, and TAKES everything they can.

65% Will NOT happen in Florida for a while to come, If ever again, and early release.... Not for Years.

Bill~
Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM

We used to get excited about rumors, but not anymore. DOC will do whatever they have to to keep them. During Charley they sent the WC to the Main Unit. My guy had to sleep on the floor of a two man cell. He woke up to his radio floating across the floor, then he realized that he was laying in about 6 inches of water. Thank goodness he is back at the work camp.
We know that anything they do will not pertain to us, as he will NEVER come out on paper. He made that very clear at sentencing. Somehow I don't see them going up to him and saying "Butch, we're overcrowded. Why don't you go home?"
Old 04-30-2005, 10:00 PM

My man asked me about this last week and wanted me to find out more info about it. Not that it affects him but we do have several "friends" that it would affect. I has something to do with the Florida Parole Commission and earning 20 days a month versus 10 days a month of gain time. Let me know if you find anything out.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
waiting for his return

Hi everyone,

This is the first chance I have had to check back and see the responses. I appreciate everyone who responded as we have have something vested in this. Aside from having a loved one in the Florida system, I have also served these inmates with my employment with the Office of the Public Defender. And while some of you who might read this think that Public Defenders are "public pretenders" I will assure you not all of them are deserving of that title. I loved this work and seeing what I saw even on that level, broke my heart. I assure anyone reading this, if you were to ask any of my clients, they would all tell you I always worked my tail off for them.

First, I would like to report that last year, the Florida Legislature did entertain the idea or resinstating the 65% for non-violent felony offenders, and one could assume because of it being an election year, it died in committee. With the sentencing enhancements currently in place, many more people are being sentenced to prison on second offenses or violations of probation. Since the implementation of the Criminal Punishment Code in October 1998 in theory, anyone, can be sentenced to prison on a first felony offense for the maximum allowed under Florida Law. Contol Release is a form of parole that only applies to individuals sentenced during the time in which Control Release was a part of the sentencing guideline. Anyone sentenced after October 1998 is only eligible for the 85%, if that, assuming they were not sentenced as Habitual Felony Offender, Violent Career Criminal, Prison Releasee Reoffender or the like. In my opinion, they will never do away with the 85% as they have to have sanctions and incentives. Gaintime allows them to to promote good behavior and punish those who do not follow the rules. IF they take away the gaintime, they will take away whatever hope some of these poor individuals may still possess.

There are currently 85k (give or take) inmates incarcerated in Florida Prisons. Our numbers are growing faster than even some states who have implemented the 3 strikes legislation. This number is only going to increase due to lack of programs for any of these inmates. They can't expect to institute a punitive sentence without the necessity of reform or rehabilitation. And by that I mean vocational programs and substance abuse programs. We can not incarceration someone for a couple of years and after they have served their time open the gate and expect them to be able to walk out and "all of a sudden" be a changed person. They have been told for the period of their sentenced incarceration when to eat, sleep, visit, use the phone, work, count and all. They go from complete structure to no structure. That is too much for anyone to adjust to. Especially when we are not giving them anything to look forward to. Many of these inmates are not placed close to home, therefore, placing a hardship on their families with visits and phone calls. Isolating them from the world completely is just not beneficial for anyone.

I know for the most part I am probably preaching to the choir and I can appreciate that. But being involved in this system on two levels, can sometimes make me more emotional about the current status of the Department of Corrections. If anyone has any suggestions or comments for me, I am always open to them. My goal is to eventually use this knowledge to benefit others. I know I won't be able to make a difference for my husband, but I maybe I can for someone else's. God Bless all of you and the struggles you go through now and have in the past. Again, thank you for your responses.

JenniferWilliam
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
HE'S ALMOST HOME!!!!!
Donation Award 

Unhappy

I knew I read on here somewhere about over crowding. At Tomoka on the web site it says Capacity: 1,158 But if you look at the number of inmates there it says: 1,262? That's 104 more inmates than capacity says they can hold. So where are they housing them? We really don't take much consideration to any rumors we hear either. We just sit back and do the time and hope that maybe just maybe with a new Governor ( praying also it's not the young son of Jeb) comes a different FLDOC. One can always pray for it anyway.

Spikeswife

Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Back in Texas

My brother wrote me and asked me about the 65% and I cannot find anything on it....He will be home in October so it wont help him out...But, my cousin is serving a 10 years sentence at New River East and this could really help him out!! If anyone hears anything let me know!!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:25 AM

Nibblemaster hit the nail on the head! This state cares nothing about people incarcerated or their families. And, because of the recent events, I also agree that it won't be long before we see longer sentences being imposed and a complete loss of gaintime. It's so sad to me that the media seems to emphasize those that re-offend and doesn't seem at all interested in the "success stories" that are out there. Just one of the reason't it's so easy for our state to enact new, tougher sentencing laws. Every single one of us that can vote need to make sure to research the candidates that will be running for Gov. and vote for the "lesser of two evils". Pay close attention to Charlie Christ (sp?), I don't believe any of us will want him in the Gov's office! There are really enough of us to make a difference, but only if we vote and let our representatives know that we vote and what our feelings are! Just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Back in Texas

According to the website when you look at each facility and see how many inmates it can actually house, and then see how many are there they are all overcrowded? Where are they putting them? I know they just built the new Lake City C.I. so they are making room for more. I was always told that the %65 was for first time, non violent felony offenders. I wish that they would reinstate it for people like that. Oh...and also they dont offer crap for education there. I thought the whole purpose of prison is to rehabilitate so they can be better citizens in a community. ? My brother has an 18 month sentence and he cant get his GED while he is there. They dont offer it at the camps he has been to. I know at New River East they are always out of toilet paper and stuff like that....
Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
FAVAAAAAAH!!!

Ok, I don't get this. Florida is releasing prisoners. My husband told me that his prison has utilized the "Conditional Release" and he is in the very top of Florida at Hamilton CI....now, because he is labelled a "S.O"......he probably won't get out anytime soon....but to be honest, it is really up to the prison. I go on the release side of the offender search and plug in his camp and some dates and you would be amazed at how many violent and non-violent offenders get off with 2 years on a 6 year sentence...and they were sentenced AFTER the 85% rule came into effect. One guy was charged with THE EXACT SAME THING as my hubby and got 5 years, just like my hubby and only served 1 year....HIS FIRST OFFENSE. I know it can happen. Look, I am a FIRM believer in Faith...this is the year of FAVOR AND RELEASE!! Trust me....the prison doors are coming open this year.....read my other threads if you want proof. God is moving this year....watch out. God is in control and if our men are supposed to come home, then they will...and GOd wil lmake sure we have the resources to get them out!

Megan
**Philippians 4:13**

Old 05-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Back in Texas

Florida does use the conditional release...that is when you have remaining time on your sentence but you do it at home! Like if you get out after you served 85% of your time. But, Controlled release is is the 85% or 65% rule...I just got the letter from my brother asking me about it. He was wondering if they were going to reinstate the 65% rule anytime soon for first time, non violent, non sexual offenders anytime soon. I keeps hearing it was in the news or in the papers. But, I cant find anything so I am sure it is a rumor. Florida is adiment about their inmates serving as much time as they can! I would love to see the 65% reinstated so that my cousin could come home a lot sooner but I am dont want to get my hopes up...The prisons are overcrowded but what can anyone do about it? I guess we just have to sit and wait....
As, for Florida they have 2 ways of making money and that is Tourists and the Prison system...They take money for anything! You would think that Jeb would be a little more understanding considering his daughter is a crackhead and he has managed to keep her out of DOC even though all her charges....
Old 05-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Maybe things would change if Daddy couldn't help her anymore and she actually became a resident of FLDOC. I'm sure that Aaramark would definitely change for the better.

I just took a peak at the current population. Avon Park has the capacity of 849 but they are at 949.

I heard they just opened another one in Tampa. Like the saying goes, if you build it they will come"
I don't see a reduction to 65% either. This is just a ploy to get everyones hopes up for a big letdown.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 AM
waiting for his return

I am so afraid that someone is going to get some misinformation, so I am posting this information:

According to Florida Statutes 921.001(sections 10 and 11) (sentence) the ONLY inmates eligible for Control Release or Conditional Release are those sentenced under the guidelines enacted from October 1,1983 to January 1, 1994 (under one set of guidelines) and January 1, 1994 until October 1, 1998 (under another set of guidelines). To be able to read the conditions, one needs a 1994 Statutes or Rule book. Further, in Florida Statutes 921.001 section (4)(a)(5) states: "The sentence imposed by the sentencing judge reflects the length of actual time to be served, shortened only by the application of incentive and meritorious gain time".

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings anyone has. I know we all want our loved ones to return to us as soon as possbile, but we have to deal with this system first.

JenniferWilliam
Old 07-14-2005, 06:03 PM

I thought I would enlighten everyone on the ups and downs of conditional release....While it is good to get out of prison, with gain time everyone is eligible for an early termination, yet conditional releasees do not terminate, they are released on paper that the courts did not sentence them to and set up to fail, just so that they can be brought back to prison.....My husband was charged in 1989, sentenced in 1991 to a 17 year sentence with a 3-year mandatory, he took a plea that would run his sentences concurrent....He was released in 11/02- In total credits with jail time he did 13 years...released with a strict set of rules, while to some of us they could easily follow, but to a lot of these guys who just had spent more than 10 years behind the golden rods of hell. It was a trying time, on 6/6/04 his parole officer showed up at my home and ransacked it with 5 local cops and a lady from probation, nothing was found in my home. They took him to the county and withing 25 days he had a hearing at the jail and by 8/04 he was revoked on a technical violation for dirty urine Unbeknowest to us we were thinking they come to you and say give me 6-months and you will be out. After many weeks of the Parole Commissioners playing stupid and DOC passing the buck we were told his new release date would be 4/2009. When calculating that he would be doing more time than the court sentenced him to. When questioning the DOC I was told that on the second charge of Sale of Cocaine, my husband had earned gain time from the day he was turned over to DOC and therefore he had finished that sentence prior to his release and therefore they would forfeit the greater of the gain time awards. It has been hell....We have filed with three courts and so far only one is looking into this....He does fall under the old sentence structure and he is eligible to get 20-days a month....His public defenders told him the plea was in his best interest as he would be out in 8 years on a 17 year sentence, What needs to happen is that during the sentencing structures someone from the Department of Corrections should be on hand to enlighten everyone whether they are considering a plea deal or with guidelines. Tell them right than and there what the actual deal is. Jeb Bush has a rule for those of the wealthy and those of us that are the majority....I am disappointed with the judicial system in the state of Florida and if they spent more money on schools and not prisons we would have a more productive state....I feel for the families that lost there children to the scums that took there lives after being released from prison, but THE STATE OF FLORIDA NEEDS TO STOP MAKING EVERY PERSON IN BLUE PAY FOR THESE ANIMALS...Spend the money on rehabilitation and not building new prisons.....I am sorry to say it but if JEB found the money to keep the parole commissioners alive for another year I think he will find a way to keep everyone in til there release dates....
Old 07-14-2005, 06:23 PM
make that EX conwife!

my husband keep hearing the same thing about possibley being released early due to overcrowding. even the guards were talking about it. some one said they had seen it on the news somewhere. i can't find it any where on the internet.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:24 PM

where is he at, my husband just called from Gulf Annex saying that it is going around also...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:31 PM
make that EX conwife!

rmc west,lake butler
Old 07-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Account Closed

This would be great for my husband who is in texas waiting on florida to do a montion of absentia on him....let's hope it is for real.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:27 AM

The sad thing is that there is no way that the state of fla DOC will ever go back to the 65% law.. Those who did their crimes before the current GOV came into office can do their time under the 65% and, if if they get out with probation and screw up and go back they still can do 65% to finish out their time.
Every year ,these stories go through the prisons and through the inmates loved ones lifes, its sad to think that ,for a brief moment everyone gets a bit of hope. But soon after it is gone. I do agree that someday fla DOC will have it where inmates do 100% of their time.. They arent worried about the over crowding or anything else, they will build. This makes more jobs in fla you know!!
I am not sure who will replace GOV Bush but it amazes me how his daughter has stayed out of DOC if that were you or I , we would long be behind the wall.
I try very hard to get family members to be their loved ones voice and also the voice of all inmates, if we do not speak for them no one will!!!
You will hear me use the term alot " Stand up in the paint" You cant be scared of what will happen, what you have to be scared of is what will happen if we dont speak out for the inmates!!!!!
Our state is the only state that has unfair sentencing.. AS WE ALL KNOW..
And in alot of states the inmates are housed in the same prison but in different dorms, example... sex offenders together, lifers together, HIV together, mental together, so on and so forth..
Our system sucks.. and I wish every day that I had enough money to quit my job and become a worker and a larger voice for the inmates in the system.
I am sorry to get off on different subjects in this reply but it all comes down to
one thing, fla DOC will always be the way it is unless, we banned together and keep fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM

My husband is at RMC-West Unit also. He has told me that he has been hearing this from the officers and other inmates. They said it was also on the news and in the newspapers. I can't find anything about it anywhere. This was suppose to have taken place from July 1, 2005-August 31, 2005. I think it's rumors but really I don't know. So far I haven't seen or heard of anyone being released early because of this.

HE'S HOME!

Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 PM

Question Early Release??

I just read your post and was wondering if you know of any news that some inmates were being let go early??? My husband release date is May 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren's girl

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 AM

I thought I would share with you- I spoke with David Mack in Tallahassee, his specialty is parole....I mentioned to him on Friday if there was any truth to overcrowding and anyone being released early....He said there is no such thing and it won't happen....Please do not kill the messenger...I am only taking his word for it and just to clarify he works for the inmates not the parole commissioners....I decided to see first hand if the rumor mill is true and wait for August as I was hearing that releases will begin August 1.....