Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Schwarzenegger lauds prison plan, defends administration

Schwarzenegger lauds prison plan, defends administration
By DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

Monday, April 25, 2005

Printable Version
Email This Article

(04-25) 14:12 PDT SACRAMENTO, (AP) --

Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger thanked Democratic legislators Monday for what is becoming an increasingly rare occurrence — a bipartisan agreement to support one of his proposals, the reorganization of the state's troubled prison system.

He dismissed speculation that his administration is in disarray as he considers running for re-election next year, comparing the "drama" over his stewardship to the time he spent making Hollywood movies.

The Assembly on Monday approved, 56-5, legislative changes to Schwarzenegger's plan to reorganize the prison system, the vanguard of his effort to restructure state government.

Schwarzenegger wants to transfer power from the adult Department of Corrections and the Youth Authority to a consolidated Cabinet-level Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, headed by current Youth and Adult Correctional Secretary Roderick Hickman.

Democratic leaders agreed to let that plan take effect automatically May 5, but immediately follow it with their compromise. Among changes, the legislation gives youth facilities their own chief deputy secretary, parole board, and new Juvenile Justice Advisory Commission to insulate the juvenile system from adult prisons.

The Assembly version of the bill also dumps a proposal to rename wardens "directors of operations." The measure now goes back to the Senate for final approval.

"The best solution is a bipartisan solution," Schwarzenegger said at a news conference, adding that the Legislature improved his original proposal.

Democratic leaders have become increasingly combative, however, over his budget proposals and plans for a series of initiatives for a special election this fall.

Schwarzenegger has promised to go to voters if legislators don't approve his measures to cap state spending, restrict tenure for teachers and change how legislative and congressional districts are drawn. But the governor withdrew a fourth planned initiative on public pensions, as well as his attempt to eliminate or merge dozens of boards and commissions.

The moves prompted reports that his administration was in disarray, and speculation that Schwarzenegger might not seek a second term next year.

He said the political hoopla reminds him of his days in Hollywood: "That's what it is — it's always great drama ... I enjoy reading it."

He sidestepped a question over whether he will seek re-election or "bail out on this governorship," telling the reporter, "Well, that was a good try."

And he defended the involvement of his wife, journalist Maria Shriver, in reviewing his administration's actions, saying she has always read his movie scripts and contracts.

"She's doing exactly the same thing now, and no one can stop us from working together," he said. "I would be a fool to have a smart woman around and be married to, and not utilize this great talent that grew up with a family of politics."
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2005, 09:44 PM

Well folks, say goodbye to any help you might have hoped to get for your loved one in prison, with this passage, any progress that has been made towards better care and rehabilitation just went down the drain. This is the result of nobody caring enough to fight for the rights of their loved ones. Oh, you say, somone else is doing it, so no need for me to get entangled in all the mess. Without civilians on the commission there will be no accountability of the abuses meted out to the inmates, how can a fox be trusted to watch the hen house. And what about all the murders of inmates that the system is getting away with? Have you really understood everything that has been taken away so far? Probably not, since you're in here talking about movies, , food, nail polish, etc, etc,. That is the exact mentality that the CDC expects from you, and like lab rats, you do just as they tell you. Do you know that there has been a dozen inmate murders since last November, with no accountability being put into place? Well, when your loved one is mamed or killed, I hope you will realize what you failed to do now to help safe guard them. I pray that none of you have to go through the agnoy of not knowing what happened to your loved ones. But then, maybe you just would rather sit around and cry on each others emails about how this could possibly happen.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 PM

Jodie,
You are right we need to be more involved in what is being taking away from our love ones. You are also right we are not doing nothing but wishing and hoping that things happen for our love ones. And while we sit and dream things are happing but all against our love ones. This is a great place to get support but I think we are forgetting the main reason why we all logged on in the first place and that was to fine information on HOW to help our love ones and how to make this system work better. I understand why you are upset here we need to re-focus on the main reason why we logged on. I do not see any post about new laws that are trying to pass or what can we do to better the system I can only talk about California once pro 66 did not passes I have not heard anything else on what can be done and what CAN we do to help this. Again I know this a great place to talk to make new friends and all but why did we log on I think we have forgotten

Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
banned - 88reasons

yes... it seems to be a trend.. hollywood and politics..... where is the line?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 PM

"how can a fox be trusted to watch the hen house."

...and what's more...a fox has more intelligence than this Hollywood turkey!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Sorry, but yes, I am upset, and sometimes I just have to vent my anger. One of the major things that we need and just lost, but hope it won't pass the next phase is getting Rod Hickman out of charge of 'new' dept of corrections and rehabilitation. We do not need CDC ramroding CDC. WE need educated civilians on the board, Doctors, Social Service, Educators, MEDIA, everyday civilians, and NOT Judges, law inforcement, lawyers or anyone connected to the law to dictate what will or will not be done within the prison system. The code of silence must be broken. I'm sure there are many good personal out there who are as sick as most of us are at the abuse going on inside, but have to turn their backs for fear that they too will be retaliated against. AT present there is no place where families can go to get help. When we try all the normal routes, we're told that the inmates must follow protacall and go with 602's. And where do they get us? No place!!! How many inmates are beaten, thrown in the hole and worst for filing 602's ? Then when guards are found to be at fault, what happens?, they say an inmate struck them, and they file lawsuits against them and win. These lawsuits were originated at Lancaster by a new group of thugs. Parole has been denied. Compasionate release has been denied, family visits have been denied, medical care has basically been denied. Drug programs have stopped and people being sent back to prisons. Programs designated to help rehabilitate inmates are being stopped. If a person has a medical problem when they reach prison, it will not be acknowledged until it is diagonised by a prison doctor, and you know what that means. The mentally ill are taken off their meds by untrained personal, then are beaten when they act out their illness'. An inmate who is wheelchair confined, has TB, Hep C, is beaten because he refused to work in the kitchen handeling food. Another is close to death because he's been denied his blood pressure meds for over a year. Another is close to death because he has kidney stones the size of golf ball, but is refused medical treatment.Then just a couple weeks ago an inmate was kicked to death, his kidneys ruptured, and within 6 days his autopsy said he died from a heart attack, and he was cremated, expences paid for by the prison. He had family. Have your ever heard of an autopsy taking only 6 days? When asked, the prison said that the inmate was alive and still in the prison. The inmates obit was found in a Nebraska newspaper of the 13th of April. He died on 7th of April. This is a blantant case of CDC coverup.How many more of our loved ones have been killed and shipped out with no public knowledge? WE must , MUST demand that the media is made aware of all abuse going on in the prisons. If you know of any, write the newspapers.If you're afarid, use a pen name. Right now they are very interested due to the death that was made public at a Senate hearing by the family of the inmate who was shot in the head by a rubber bullet. This case has made them stand up and take notice, whereas they only listened to the lies that the CDC told them. This is why we have to stand up for our loved ones. We have to demand accountablility from prsion presonal when they abuse, murder and mentally abuse inmates. Will we get it from Hickman, who is one of THEM? I highly doubt it. Without prisoners, the CDC will loose millions of dollars. Our loved ones are the biggest money making industry in the country. It should be on the stock market. Sorry, a bad pun. The more prisoneres, the more money. Is this money for the benifit of inmates? NO. Is it for the benifit of CDC? YES. But we have to stand up and fight, even if it dosen't seem like we have a chance, but if enough noise is made it will make the CDC nervous, and that makes them vounerable, and that scares them to no end. Prisoners are protected by federal laws, but Calfiornia refused to obey these laws. Are they no better than the street criminal who breaks the law? ARe they brought to account for breaking these laws? No. What THEY are, are criminals wearing badges, and they are getting away with it.

Last edited by jodie; 04-27-2005 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: to change a word
Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 PM

your first post incited me because of the accusations you made about the lax way we meet and greet and post in these forums. this bill has been in the works for some time now with info about it on the BPT website and CA. website. no one mentioned anything about it before today. in all the forums i visit, never a mention. upon reading about it on the website, it appeared to be a good decision. we don't currently have a voice on the Board. a changing of the guard is warranted. instead of scolding, because you appear to be so "estute" as to the goings on and what needs to be done, next time give a little warning ahead of time as opposed to being the "nay-sayer" after the fact. i am new to these forums and haven't quite gotten a handle on how information is disseminated but i guarantee you this, i will do my level best to make sense of the information being given and pass it along to the PTO members. don't be so quick to chide us, there are people online that give out good timely info.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Queen@Big Daddys Kingdom

Well said Neddieboo!

Old 04-27-2005, 05:38 PM

Sorry to have upset you so badly, but this info is out there. I just get upset when only a few groups seem to care enough to what is going on in our prisons. There over 160,000 inmates inside, where are the people who love them? Why don't they do something to help them. If you notice, you've been in here since May, I've only been here since Nov.2004. Again, i apoligize for upsetting people, but Maybe people should get upset, and I'm really surprised that Bess hasn't banned me from this PTO site allready, that happens when someone goes against the grain of CDC. I realize that people come in here for comradship and sharring, but we need to unite for our loved ones, they should come before anything. Fortunately I haven't a family member in prison, but I do have a friend, and I'd hate to have him expierence the evils that i've heard and read about. I'd fight even I didn't have anyone inside. I'm not a young person either, I'm a grandmother.