Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Michigan's Department of Corrections, Probation, laws & legal, etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Michigan topic, post it here!

Old 04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
His Valentine

Question grant money for released prisoners?

I went to visit my boyfriend yesterday and he was saying that there are a few grants and or loans offered to inmates when they get out to help them start a business.. etc. He asked me to look it up so I could see for myself what is offered but I have no idea where to look for this information. Has anyone heard of this or know where I can find the information?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

I have not heard of any grant money available, but my husband has told me of a rehab type program to help former inmates train for jobs. I'm waiting for him to get more information so I can look into it.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
His Valentine

Maybe I will write him and ask him to send me the information. He seemed so sure of it... who knows? I was just glad to see him We just recently got back together after breaking up 19 yrs ago. Who knew prison would bring two people back together...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Uh...Yeah...

I havent heard of grant money available but there are programs available to build up skills and even placement in employment.
Quote:
We just recently got back together after breaking up 19 yrs ago. Who knew prison would bring two people back together...
Its not as uncommon as you think! Stick around and you will find others just like you out here!! WELCOME TO PTO!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 PM

there was something that they had at the county jail that was called the ex felon packet it had a lot of info about grants and loans..................something about social security about how they give you so much a month for three months prior and after your release but when you called any of the places they no longer excisted that was about a year ago we loooked into it i am not sure if that is what he is talking about..............there is a new packet out with some sort of assistance and help with job training skills but we havent been able to get our hands on it as of yet he is no longer in prisonor jail so we dont know where to get it now.........he is home everyday but tuesdays from rehab working and will be home for good in 5 weeks..............there is some info at the rehab that he is going to bring home if its worth wild ill pass the info along...............he is at cpi in waterford more intense then a regular rehab alot of parolees from prison are being sent there before home ken says its alot like prison but more freedom but structured to help them enter society again i was really pissed about him needing to go there but now after 7 weeks im glad he is there it is actually a great form of help to him and its helping him rebuild himself....so maybe they do have some info on what you are looking for..............ill ask when i see him wednesday.............
Old 05-23-2005, 02:40 AM

Default inmate grants and loans

i was also told about such a program that a released inmate could apply for a business grant up to $50,000. haven't had much luck finding any direct information did find the following seems it may be possible if obtained through a faith based and community initiative here's the link
http://www.dol.gov/cfbci/funding.htm#content
also check this
http://www.reentrypolicy.org/Funding-Opportunities.html
http://www.grants.gov/
this site covers the Social Security issues for inmates/released prisoners http://www.facs.gov.au/guide/ssguide/37440.htm

Last edited by cielopezzo; 05-23-2005 at 03:14 AM..
Old 05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Live, Love, Laugh

Quote:
We just recently got back together after breaking up 19 yrs ago. Who knew prison would bring two people back together...
Welcome Valentine! I don't have any information for you regarding grants...but the other part of your post I can certainly comment on. I'm back with my high school sweetheart after 25 years! And yes...we've fallen in love again since he's been in prison.

After 25 years, I can wait 2 - 7 more!

Love is sweeter the second time around!

Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Being the former inmate that I am, this all mostly jailhouse rumors. The old school inmates tell the first timers stuff like this all the time. He is eligible for emergency foodstamps, and that's about it. I have looked for these grants and loans "FOR INMATES" and there is none. I have checked into the social security too and you have to be more than 65 years old or blind to qualify.
scd123 (07-11-2010)
Old 05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
His Valentine

When I went to visit my boyfriend, I asked him to mail me what he had concerning this. He did, and it was copied from the law library at RGC in Jackson. Since then, we have written letters of inquiry to several places on the list and only one came back.(national prison project) but I found that they have a new washington dc address so I forwarded the new address to my bf. Guess we'll just wait and see. Also, as far as social security, they do qualify as a disadvantaged minority for being an ex-convict but only have 72 hours to apply after being released.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Urban Legends...

Please look at my other posts. I just answered this question not 45 minutes ago.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:47 AM

Not true. There is no benefit from the Social Security Administration for simply being an ex-felon or ex-inmate, no matter when you apply. In another thread, I copied this information directly from the Social Security Adminstrations website. Being an ex-inmate is not a disabilty. Please see the other thread for the info from the SSA.

Rumors are abundant when it comes to money, loans, etc. for ex-inmates. Trust me, as an ex-inmate, I found that you are on your own for the most part.
breathing_beau (01-03-2012), scd123 (07-11-2010)
Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Here is what I got directly from the SSA website:

This was taken directly from the Social Security Administration Website:

The Social Security Administration does not provide any benefits just for ex-prisoners.Once you are released, you can get Supplemental Security Income (SSI)(see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11000.html) payments if you are 65 or older, or are blind or have a disability have little or no income and resources.Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability (RSDI—Title II) (see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10024.html benefits may be payable if you have worked and paid into Social Security enough years (this is determined by your age and the date you became disabled or turned age 62), and:You have a physical or mental condition so severe that it will make you unable to do any work for at least a year, orYou are legally blind, even with glasses, orYou are age 62 or older.If you meet the above requirements, Social Security benefits may also pay:Your child who is under age 18, or severely disabled before age 22, or your wife who is age 62 or older, or is caring for your child who is under age 16 or severely disabled before age 22.If you think you could qualify for benefits based on the above requirements, you should call Social Security’s toll-free telephone number, 1-800-772-1213. If you are severely disabled or over age 62 and you have dependents who could be paid based on your work covered by Social Security, you should call Social Security immediately.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:47 PM
GOD answers prayers

Default Grants

Try looking on www.grantgate.com. I found a few in different states. About 11 grants for prisoners and thier families! This also has application and such on it!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:25 AM

Default No grants!

I agree with Joey, Big rumor!! that rumor floats all over prisons everywhere.. some people have made up info packets and pass them along, but all fake! Here in GR, mich, a place called project rehab will actually help with some money for tools and clothes for work for ex inmates. thats about it. FIA will give medical and food stamps for 3 months. thats about it.
Brian F.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:39 PM
A Sad Sister

Re: post #6 above...
this link is included "this site covers the Social Security issues for inmates/released prisoners http://www.facs.gov.au/guide/ssguide/37440.htm " but it is for citizens of Australia, not the U.S. (The .au part of the URL is the giveaway.)

Just thought I'd clarify, or perhaps prevent more misinformation being spread.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Closed

A prisoner diagnosed with a disability can receive expedite claim consideration but other than that I have heard of a few programs available but have yet to see anything to verify that.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:46 PM

What special programs are available for ex-prisoners?
Answer The Social Security Administration does not provide any benefits just for ex-prisoners.Once you are released, you can get Supplemental Security Income (SSI)(see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11000.html) payments if you are 65 or older, or are blind or have a disability have little or no income and resources.Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability (RSDI—Title II) (see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10024.html benefits may be payable if you have worked and paid into Social Security enough years (this is determined by your age and the date you became disabled or turned age 62), and:You have a physical or mental condition so severe that it will make you unable to do any work for at least a year, orYou are legally blind, even with glasses, orYou are age 62 or older.If you meet the above requirements, Social Security benefits may also pay:Your child who is under age 18, or severely disabled before age 22, or your wife who is age 62 or older, or is caring for your child who is under age 16 or severely disabled before age 22.If you think you could qualify for benefits based on the above requirements, you should call Social Security’s toll-free telephone number, 1-800-772-1213. If you are severely disabled or over age 62 and you have dependents who could be paid based on your work covered by Social Security, you should call Social Security immediately.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Closed

I came across a thread here in pto at some point that gave alot of information about grants and social securtity so is a such there a such thing as an inmate being able to apply for ssi and having their claim expedite where it would be available upon release?

Last edited by zhane; 09-19-2005 at 08:28 PM..
Old 08-11-2006, 12:05 PM

Default The Truth About Grant Money

I totally agree with Joeyboy (and not just because I like his icon). I've made phone calls and talked to people at the SSI office and researched it for myself and this is my conclusion: You can apply through vocational rehabilitation but you have to go through an evaluation, the funding is for people who are too mentally unstable to hold a typical job in the public and therefore need their own business and need to work for themselves. I think this is the what some people are doing in order to get grant money for their own businesses, they are saying 'prison drove me to be anti-social' and then they are applying for vocational rehabilitation grants.

Sorry, I think the truth is better then false hope. DJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyboy
Being the former inmate that I am, this all mostly jailhouse rumors. The old school inmates tell the first timers stuff like this all the time. He is eligible for emergency foodstamps, and that's about it. I have looked for these grants and loans "FOR INMATES" and there is none. I have checked into the social security too and you have to be more than 65 years old or blind to qualify.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Loving him...

My man actually told me something about this recently. He said he has a friend who recently got out of prison, and the state gave him a loan for 75,000. He just started his own business.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Default That's Great

That's wonderful, I hope that you will provide everyone with the name of the agency with in the state and the address so that others can get a 75,000 loan when they get out of prison.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdettmer3
My man actually told me something about this recently. He said he has a friend who recently got out of prison, and the state gave him a loan for 75,000. He just started his own business.

I'd sure as heck would like to know myself! The state doesn't give out money like this so I tend to think its someone who may have had the finances thru family and friends to put up collateral... Heck my daughter can't even get a $10,000 grant/small business loan unless I put up my home as collateral!!!!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...I would like to know that too!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 PM
teeter74

My guy is in Pugsley in the pre prelease program and he told me that they had to sit through a seminar type deal that talked about different help that is available to them when they get out. He said they can get a loan up to $2000, not sure who it's through, food stamps for 3 months and job placement.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Loving him...

Trust me, I know it sounds far fetched. I didnt ask for details but I will find out more when I talk to him again.