Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM

Default He's Coming Home!!!! also halfway house question

I don't post very often, but I do read alot of your posts and wanted to say thanks for helping the past few months. My boyfriend is in SCI Greene and saw parole last Thursday, March 10th. Today he got his green sheet. One of the guys that saw parole the same day as him got his on Friday and said there was a bunch of green sheets there, so we have been sick to our stomachs all weekend waiting. He thought he was cute tonight when he called and said he should get it by the end of the week. He let me go on about my day and finally said, would you stop talking for a minute, i got it. I wanted to yell at him but was so excited, I just couldn't. We only get to talk every other day for 15 minutes and he wasted almost the first 10 minutes. Men!!! His sentence was 2 1/2 to 7 years and his minimum is up in June. He says it's all because of me and my parole packet that I made for him. The only bad thing is that he has to do 3 months in a halfway house, which we didn't even really consider that bad. Does anyone know anything about these places? There isn't much out there. The DOC website doesn't give much. He said they are requesting a halfway house in the Region 2 area, so if anyone has a list of those, please let me know. He isn't in because of drugs or alcohol so he is going to a halfway house that he will be able to get out sometimes. It's not like a rehab where he will be in classes all day. His counselor also said that the max is 3 months. It's up to his P.O. if it's any earlier. He said it doesn't seem real yet, and I feel the same way. I am so happy I can't stop thinking about it. We've been talking for weeks about when he comes home, now we can really plan. If anyone has info on these places, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Hi Girlie!
I am so happy for oyu and your man. The half way houses are not bad at all. My fiance has been in the Johnstown CCC and York CCC. They still have lots of rules to follow, but it is great not having them "behind bars anymore"!! Once they are there, they can get a home plan and have furloughs to your house where they can stay for the weekend with is great. PM if you need any info on wither of those 2 CCC. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Girlie,

Congratulations!!!!! A halfway house wont be too bad. My friends husband was in one for a short period of time. I am just beging to work on Kevins parole packet. I did go to that site but can you tell me what you put in yours? I am so happy for you & your man. I wish him well. Let us know when he has a bed date.
Julia
Old 03-22-2005, 06:56 PM

I've heard the the halfway houses aren't bad, thanks for the encouragement. Anything has to be better than where he is at. He did mention something about York, there are so many, we'll just have to wait and see. He said he should know in about a month. That's great he can get weekend furloughs. I still can't believe it's happening. In my parole packet, the first sheet was the cover. I just put his name and number on it in big bright nice letters. I even used a nice green paper, I thought it would be appropriate, haha. The next page I addressed to the parole board. It just basically thanked them for taking the time to read the information and that I know after reading it that they will see, just as I have the changes he has made. Then I did the outline, starting little details about his crime, then about his personal life and what he has done to make his life better, inside prison and his plans when he gets out. The next page was the letter from him. It explained he understood what he did was wrong and he was very sorry. It's very important for them to say how they have remorse and understand what they did was wrong. The board doesn't want to hear, well, i was pressured, or i didn't do it. The I put in the support letters, I had about 8 of them. And at the end I made a collage of pictures with who they were on an 8 x 10 size sheet. I put everything in a nice folder and sent a copy to him and the board and also kept one for myself. When he first got it, he couldn't believe it. I kept telling him I was working on it, but he had no idea how nice and professional it turned out. I printed everything out on really nice paper. He says the packet had alot to do with it because he could tell by their attitude that they partially made their mind up before he even walked in the door. If there are any ideas that I can help you with let me know. I could even send you a copy of what I wrote if you want. What other rules do they have in the halfway houses, besides the basics? I am so anxious to know everything now, I've waited so long, I feel like I almost can't do it anymore. I think to myself, they say he can get out in 3 months, you already made the decision, jut let him go now, lol. But thanks for responding and good luck to both of you, julia and sunshyne. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 PM

girlie,

I would a priciate you sending me a copy of what you wrote. My friend was in a halfway house in Scranton. He got passes to go looking for work and got day passes to come home. Tone had to do 6 months in the halfway house because they wouldn't approve his home plan. You can visit there but Tony always got a pass. They still control your money and Tone told me that he could get $130/week to spend on what ever. I know that you can put in for a halfway house in a certain area. Tone put in for only Scranton only so he had to wait for a bed there & it took a little longer than if you say anywhere. But with anywhere you could go anywhere the first bed is available. Thats about all the info I have. I wished I had more for you.
Julia
Old 03-29-2005, 12:50 PM

My boyfriend will be going to a halfway house this fall sometime and I'd like any information you have on this subject. For instance, what is the parole packet you are talking about? Also do they have to stay in the half way house until their minimum is up or can they leave earlier? When he leaves the prison that day i'm allowed to go pick him up and take him there but what kind of time limit is there? Do they expect him to be there in the exact amount of time it takes to get from here to there? My boyfriend is originally from Scranton but I'm moving to Somerset, which is where he is now. What's the chances of him getting to go to the Johnstown CCC? Also i seen someone mention that a home plan wasnt approved? Why would that happen? Any information would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 PM

The parole packet is a packet I put together that is kind of like a scrapbook of his life, mostly since he has been in. If you do a search in the forums for parole packet or my name and my posts, you will find it. I put the info in a few places I think. But also, if you go to the parole and probation forum, you'll find the info there. The website that I used was broken chains. A lady from Texas put her info on there and I followed that. There are a few different ways they determine what halfway house he's going to. I think they try to do one that is close to his home. They may also put a request in for a certain one depending on his needs. My boyfriend is banned from 2 counties, so he is put in for a whole region, so there is about 10 of them that he could go to. All are no more than I think 2 hours away. I'm not sure how much time they give you to get him there, but I don't think there is much time for sight seeing. Knowing them, they have it all timed out, like it's so many miles and if you drive the speed limit, I'm sure they have it all calculated, lol. The last time my boyfriend was in, he was in Somerset. I pass there on my way to Greene. A home plan could be denied for many reasons. It all depends on their charge and different things to. Like, if someone is on parole that lives there, and they will check to see what income there is. They can't leave any earlier than their minimum. I don't even think they can leave the prison until their minimum unless maybe it's a drug charge, I think there are some new programs. Hope everything goes well.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:14 PM
The Mrs

Thumbs up Halfway Houses

Hi,

I work at a halfway house (women's) here in York and I am somewhat familiar with the men's center here. The men's center here is good and the staff there is cool.

I've heard bad things about the Reading center though. Harrisburg is cool too. They work with a Temp place that actually comes to pick you up for work.

But basically when they come to the center they will be on orientation with limited free time if any. Afterwards they build up their freetime until they can have overnights, then weekends away, then furloughs. They have to be spent at the home plan though. Most centers realize the need for the fellas to be acclimated back into society so the "blackout" time is not for long. (at my job it is one weekend)

I must give all praises and thanks to Allah. The all knowing, all seeing, the orchestrator of my man's release and the author of our relationship. He is the one that made all of this, and only to Him do I owe my gratitude.

Is it time for football yet? Go EAGLES!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:30 AM
love conquers all.

The parole packet is a good idea. I also did the same thing (along the lines of what girlie had explained). I had 5 letters of support (from people who weren't his family or my family) plus letters of support from our families & I had him write a letter explaining himself & taking blame for his actions.. because you're right, they don't want to hear any excuses, they want to see that you're taking responsibility for your actions. My boyfriend's counselor said that a parole packet is one of the best things you can do, he also said that if my boyfriend gets out on parole (we're waiting), that it was mainly due to my parole packet... i'm hoping it did some good, i keep waiting & waiting.. its been 2 months, i'm tired of the waiting game!!! waiting is the worst part.
as of O8/O1/O6.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 AM

My boyfriend says all the time that he thinks the parole packet was the reason he is getting out. He said they were extremely nice to him from the moment he walked in the door and when he asked them if they had gotten the packet, the one guy held it up and smiled and they both said they read it. My boyfriend saw parole on the closed circuit tv, and he only waited about 2 weeks for his green sheet, those were the longest 2 weeks in history. It was alot of work, but I'm glad I did the packet. Good luck Marissa, it should be any day now.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 AM

My husband gets out this June I was just worndering how I go about getting a parole packet?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:04 PM

Meisha, Check out brokenchains.com. It's a website a women out the info on from a packet she did for her husband. I did one for my man and it turned out great. It's basically his life on paper. I put a cover letter, a letter frim him, support letters, an outline of his life, and I also put a collage of pictures. If you also fo to the parole and probation forum, it has the info.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
love conquers all.

I hope its anyday now.. I'm getting so nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlie2545
My boyfriend says all the time that he thinks the parole packet was the reason he is getting out. He said they were extremely nice to him from the moment he walked in the door and when he asked them if they had gotten the packet, the one guy held it up and smiled and they both said they read it. My boyfriend saw parole on the closed circuit tv, and he only waited about 2 weeks for his green sheet, those were the longest 2 weeks in history. It was alot of work, but I'm glad I did the packet. Good luck Marissa, it should be any day now.
as of O8/O1/O6.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 AM

Thanks I'll check it out
Old 01-04-2006, 04:11 PM

I have a question about halfway houses. My fiance just got pre-release where he gets to go to a halfway house to finish his time until his minimum is here. They want him to go to one with drug and alcahol counseling for thirty or sixty days. We want him to go to the one in Johnstown but I don't think they offer that there. Once he has completed that will he be able to transfer closer to home at all?