Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Has anyone been married in a Federal Prison

We have a "How to get married in a Federal Prison" wedding thread, but currently we dont have much information. I am looking for anyone whos been married in a Federal Prison to share what facility and the process. Any helpful information that I could add to the Federal Wedding thread would be very helpful

Thank You
TNC
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Liberty Tree

Yes, it happens. It just depends on the circumstances. I do not have any personal experiences to relate, but I will include the BOP's program statement on Marriages of Inmates:

NUMBER: 5326.04 (Program Statment Number)
DATE: 12/17/98
SUBJECT:Marriages of Inmates

1. [PURPOSE AND SCOPE §551.10. The Warden shall approve an inmate's request to marry except where a legal restriction to the marriage exists, or where the proposed marriage presents a threat to the security or good order of the institution, or to the protection of the public.

The Warden may approve the use of institution facilities for an inmate's marriage ceremony. If a marriage ceremony poses a threat to the security or good order of the institution, the Warden may disapprove a marriage ceremony in the institution.]

2. PROGRAM OBJECTIVE. The expected result of this program is:

Inmate marriages will be requested, approved, and conducted in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.

3. DIRECTIVES AFFECTED

a. Directive Rescinded

PS 5326.03 Marriage of Inmates (10/29/93)

b. Directives Referenced

PS 5280.08 Furloughs (2/4/98)
PS 1330.13 Administrative Remedy Program (12/22/95)

c. Rules cited in this Program Statement are contained in 28 CFR §551.10-16.

4. STANDARDS REFERENCED. None.

5. PRETRIAL/HOLDOVER/AND OR DETAINEE PROCEDURES. Procedures specified in this Program Statement apply to all Bureau holdover, pretrial, detainee and designated inmates. U.S. Marshals’ holdovers and Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) holdovers housed in Bureau custody shall be referred to those agencies for marriage consideration.

6. [AUTHORITY TO APPROVE A MARRIAGE §551.11

a. The Warden may approve the marriage of a federal inmate confined in a federal institution. This authority may not be delegated below the level of Acting Warden.

b. The appropriate Community Corrections Manager may approve the request to marry of a federal inmate who is not confined in a federal institution (for example, a federal inmate who is in a
community corrections center, in home confinement, in state custody, or in a local detention facility).]

7. [ELIGIBILITY TO MARRY §551.12. An inmate's request to marry shall be approved provided:

a. The inmate is legally eligible to marry;

b. The inmate is mentally competent;

c. The intended spouse has verified, ordinarily in writing, an intention to marry the inmate; and

d. The marriage poses no threat to institution security or good order, or to the protection of the public.]

For example, staff shall review closely the marriage request of all inmates housed in Medium, High, and Administrative Security Level institutions.

This scrutiny is to ensure the request is not made to circumvent existing Bureau visiting policy, thereby posing a threat to institution security or good order.

8. [APPLICATION TO MARRY §551.13

a. A federal inmate confined in a Bureau institution who wants to get married shall submit a request to marry to the inmate's unit team. The unit team shall evaluate the request based on the criteria identified in §551.12. A written report of the unit team's findings, and its recommendation, shall be forwarded to the Warden for a final decision.]

The unit team shall base its recommendation on the criteria found in Section 7. When relevant, a unit team representative may request information from the U.S. Probation Officer, the intended spouse's family (for example, where there is a question about the age of the intended spouse), or other appropriate source(s).

(1) Information on the inmate's legal eligibility to marry is determined through conversation with the inmate and by reviewing the Inmate Central File, including the Pre-Sentence Investigation Report.

Indication of a present or prior marriage, including a common-law marriage, requires written verification that the marriage is legally dissolved. The status of a common-law marriage, and its dissolution, are determined under the law of the state where the marriage occurred.

Questions on an inmate's legal eligibility to marry shall be referred to the Regional Counsel.

(2) Information on an inmate's mental competence may be obtained by reviewing mental health reports prepared on the inmate prior to and/or during the present period of confinement.

A mental competency examination should not be conducted specifically to determine the inmate's mental competence to marry.

(3) A unit team representative should contact, and request a written statement from, the intended spouse to verify that party's interest in marrying the inmate. If requested, the staff member may reveal public record information from the inmate's file, but this contact shall not include a specific discussion of the inmate's personal history, or suitability for marriage.

An intended spouse who requests this information shall be advised to discuss these issues with the inmate, or, if preferred, to write the Warden.

(4) The unit team shall assess whether the marriage poses a threat to institution security or good order, or to public protection. As part of their review, the unit team shall consult with the Captain for his or her assessment.

[b. The Warden shall notify the inmate in writing whether the inmate's request to marry is approved or disapproved. A copy of this notification shall be placed in the inmate's central file. When the Warden's decision is to disapprove the inmate's request, the notification to the inmate shall include a statement of reason(s) for that action. The Warden shall advise the inmate that the decision may be appealed through the Administrative Remedy Procedure.

c. All expenses of the marriage (for example, a marriage license) shall be paid by the inmate, the inmate's intended spouse, the inmate's family, or other appropriate source approved by the Warden. The Warden may not permit appropriated funds to be used for an inmate marriage.]

9. [SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES §551.14

a. Detainers and Pending Charges. Staff review of a marriage request from an inmate who has a detainer(s) and/or a pending charge(s) shall include an assessment of the legal effects of the marriage on these actions. For example, an inmate could request to marry a potential witness in litigation pending against that inmate. Approving this marriage could affect the status of this litigation.]

Another example might be an inmate with a deportation detainer who may request permission to marry to avoid deportation. When warranted, and prior to the unit team's report being forwarded to the Warden, a unit team representative shall contact the U.S. Attorney, the INS, or other appropriate authorities for their comments.

[b. Pretrial Inmates. A pretrial inmate may request permission to marry in accordance with the provisions of this rule. Staff shall contact the court, U.S. Attorney, and in the case of an alien, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, to advise of the marriage request of the pretrial inmate and to request their comments.]

Comments received should be specifically mentioned, and considered, in the unit team’s report to the Warden.

[c. Federal Inmates Not in Federal Institutions. A federal inmate who is not confined in a federal institution who wants to get married shall submit a request to the appropriate Community Corrections Manager. Prior to making a decision on the inmate's request, the Community Corrections Manager shall advise the confining authority of the inmate's request and ask that information on the criteria identified in § 551.12 be furnished.]

Section 551.12. refers to Section 7 of this Program Statement.

10. [FURLOUGHS §551.15. An inmate whose request to marry is approved, and who also meets the Bureau's criteria for furlough (see part 570, subpart C), may be considered for a furlough for the purpose of getting married.]

See the Program Statement on Furloughs for further information.

11. [MARRIAGE CEREMONY IN THE INSTITUTION §551.16

a. The Warden may approve the use of institution facilities for an inmate's marriage ceremony. If a marriage ceremony poses
a threat to the security or good order of the institution, the Warden may disapprove a marriage ceremony in the institution. The Warden may not delegate the authority to approve or to
disapprove a marriage ceremony in the institution below the level of Acting Warden.]

A marriage ceremony in the institution shall not be denied because it may inconvenience the institution. Ordinarily, if there is concern about institution security or good order, the matter can be resolved by controlling the place, time, and number of participants for the ceremony, or by placing conditions or restrictions on the ceremony. When the Warden approves an inmate's application to marry, but denies the use of institution facilities for the marriage ceremony, the Warden shall document the reasons for this disapproval.

[b. Expenses for a marriage ceremony in the institution shall be paid by the inmate, the inmate's intended spouse, the inmate's family, or other appropriate source approved by the Warden. The Warden may not permit appropriated funds to be used for the marriage ceremony, except for those inherent in providing the place and supervision for the event. Upon request of the inmate,
Bureau of Prisons or community clergy, or a justice of the peace may be authorized to assist in a marriage ceremony at the institution.

(1) The marriage ceremony may be performed by Bureau of Prisons or community clergy, or by a justice of the peace.]

The institution chaplain must confirm that a community person requested to perform the marriage ceremony is either a member of the clergy or a justice of the peace.

[(2) Because of ecclesiastical constraints, Bureau of Prisons chaplains may decline to perform the marriage ceremony. Upon request of the inmate, a Bureau chaplain will assist that inmate in preparing for an approved marriage; for example, by providing, or arranging for an inmate to receive, prenuptial marriage counseling.

c. The Warden shall require that a marriage ceremony at the institution be a private ceremony conducted without media publicity.]

The Warden shall notify the Regional Director and the Assistant Director, Correctional Programs Division, Central Office, of the proposed marriage of an inmate whose marriage might attract national attention, or significant local or regional attention.

12. TRAINING RESPONSIBILITY. The Case Management Coordinator shall include marriage procedures as part of regularly scheduled case management training. This training should also be provided to other departments as needed.

13. INSTITUTION SUPPLEMENT. Each Warden shall develop an Institution Supplement establishing local procedures to implement this Program Statement. It should include, but not be limited to, information on the local marriage laws and processing procedures (for example, marriage license requirements, blood tests). A copy shall be forwarded to the Regional Correctional Programs Administrator.

/s/
Director
FBOP
The Following User Says Thank You to greyghost For This Useful Post:
bellisq (03-31-2011)
Old 03-17-2005, 11:56 AM

I can tell you that in our case she put in the request more than three months ago and we're still waiting to hear something. And with only 4.5 months until halfway house, I'm thinking it might end up getting overlooked until then. She wants to come home as my wife but at this point we don't want to rock the boat too much either.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp&ft
I can tell you that in our case she put in the request more than three months ago and we're still waiting to hear something. And with only 4.5 months until halfway house, I'm thinking it might end up getting overlooked until then. She wants to come home as my wife but at this point we don't want to rock the boat too much either.
What facility is she in? I think being able to have specific facility names along with any information provided will give others a better idea of what to expect at certain facitities
Old 03-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
What facility is she in?
Oh, sorry. FPC Dublin.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Liberty Tree

One of the patterns that I have seen in relation to the marriage of inmates, if they are within 12 months of their release, then the Warden usually denies the request on the basis that the couple can wait 12 more months.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:38 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Thanks for this information... it was a very big help, although i do have one question... When should i write the letter to say that i agree that i would like to get married to my fiance? Is that before, after or at the same time that he has made them aware that we would like to get married?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Liberty Tree

He should initiate everything. Let him get the ball rolling and then you fill in the gaps from there. It wouldn't hurt for you to write a letter expressing your wishes (be sincere and honest) to the Chaplain and his Counselor. Even though the Warden is the one with the final call on whether this happens or not, it will be the Chaplain that makes it happen..... or not.

Best of luck to you and your 'hopefully' soon to be husband.
The Following User Says Thank You to greyghost For This Useful Post:
Lane Murray04 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-18-2005, 12:24 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost
He should initiate everything. Let him get the ball rolling and then you fill in the gaps from there. It wouldn't hurt for you to write a letter expressing your wishes (be sincere and honest) to the Chaplain and his Counselor. Even though the Warden is the one with the final call on whether this happens or not, it will be the Chaplain that makes it happen..... or not.

Best of luck to you and your 'hopefully' soon to be husband.
Thank you Greyghost. You have been a great help, and i appreciate it as well as many others will too. I guess i had better start learning how to put all my feelings down on paper!! Its easy for me to say i want to get married.... but even though i know why i do, its hard to express it. I can try and give it my best shot!

Thank you x
Old 03-18-2005, 04:00 PM
MISSING MY CHULO....

So, do you have to be granted a furlough to be able to get married? I am confused now....
Old 03-18-2005, 06:25 PM
"IT'S OUR YEAR"

U get married in the prison.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Thank for the info. My problem is that we've ben trying to get married before he gets sentenced and sent to a facility. We figured it would be easier for me to be approved for his visiting list since I'd be his wife. But we haven't had any luck yet. He's going to ask his lawyer if he can request that he judge marry us at the time of his sentencing. I'm keeping my figures crossed. But I do have a question. How long after there at the facility their going to be in will they have to wait to requeast to be married? Rather how long after their visitng list is approved can they request getting married?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Liberty Tree

He can ask right away. If it is what he wants, then there is no need to hesitate.

Good luck on have the judge conduct the wedding ceremony at the time of sentencing....

That would be a neat twist on things....
Old 06-30-2005, 11:07 AM

Are all rules and Regulations the same from state to state? or do they vary? My fiancee is currently in fdc of miami, fl. and going to be sent somewhere in the pan handle. I'm currently pregnat, but this blessing will be llegaly his by adoption rights, I'm confused How does all this work?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Default To be married Oct 27th 2010

My fiance did the paperwork and I went to the county seat and got the license! We are planning on marrying Oct 27 2010. I will keep you posted on the event and and any problems! FCI in ARK
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Did you Get Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Bond View Post
My fiance did the paperwork and I went to the county seat and got the license! We are planning on marrying Oct 27 2010. I will keep you posted on the event and and any problems! FCI in ARK
So did you get married Oct. 27, 2010 if you did can you give me more details on the procedure because I am looking to marry as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM

can someone help me out? my fiancee and i are tryin to get married this year and i need to know what i need to do to get things started. we wanted to get married asap. right now he is in beaumont but is goin to be transferred soon. what do i do? thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 AM

We were married at fci williamsburg last week April 5th it took us 11 months to accomplish it
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 AM
iheartsjc

congrats on your wedding!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM

My husband and I got married last year, he is in a USP and myu experience is that it took us about 6 months for the approval, he has a great counselor, who explained everything to us. You have to remember that everything behind their walls moves much much slower than out here. After he put in the request for marriage, they sent me a sheet or "marriage package" our responses pretty much had to be the same, where we met, how long were we a couple, do i know his entire criminal history and why I wanted to get married now.
then they watched and monitored my husband, his actions if he was improving withing the facility IE his behavior and if i was a positive influence on him.
also they monitored our phone calls and letters to see how we got along. after that it went to the "TEAM" for a review then the warden who had final say
hope that helps
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson's Gir View Post
My husband and I got married last year, he is in a USP and myu experience is that it took us about 6 months for the approval, he has a great counselor, who explained everything to us. You have to remember that everything behind their walls moves much much slower than out here. After he put in the request for marriage, they sent me a sheet or "marriage package" our responses pretty much had to be the same, where we met, how long were we a couple, do i know his entire criminal history and why I wanted to get married now.
then they watched and monitored my husband, his actions if he was improving withing the facility IE his behavior and if i was a positive influence on him.
also they monitored our phone calls and letters to see how we got along. after that it went to the "TEAM" for a review then the warden who had final say
hope that helps
We never had any of that our down fall was our counselor completely bone idle and a liar to boot he was going to a new facility(god help them) and didn't care .
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM

I guess they dont ever say that I just kept calling and talking to the counselor, we were his first ones to request the marriage... I live all the way in hawaii and he is in cali.. Not sure if they are suspose to tell them that but he told me was they were looking for. Says its standard procedure in the BOP to do that.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysha1995 View Post
can someone help me out? my fiancee and i are tryin to get married this year and i need to know what i need to do to get things started. we wanted to get married asap. right now he is in beaumont but is goin to be transferred soon. what do i do? thanks in advance.

Your man needs to start the paper work by putting in a request for marriage and asking for the marriage packet. that is how you start it
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Good day everyone,

This is my first time on PTO. I wanted to ask if anyone has been married at Lompoc Ca Low Federal Correctional Institution, and if so, do they conduct wedding ceremonies during the weekday and are you allowed some one on one time with your newly wedded husband.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and god bless.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM
MistyC

Iam not sure if this helps much. But my husband and I were married in the federal prison system. And thanks to God is ran as smooth as pie for us. My husband put in a request and they gave him a form to fill out as well as myself. I sent it back in. About a month later. He let me know that we were approved to be married. We were in Allenwood,PA and we were notified in July 2010. Our ceremony was in Oct 2010. This was only because they had to find a person to perform the ceremony. The pastor that they had, was having an issue of marrying people on the outside with prisoners. I guess she didnt think that the marriages would last or something. So, with that being said we were married by the Mayor of that city. It was very beautiful and we had time after the ceremony to socialize, before he had to go back. We were allowed to wear whatever we wanted within good taste...without violating the rules of the prison. Later on, i was sent out marriage license the acutual copy and he did get a chance to keep the wedding band. I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to tcox For This Useful Post:
cmolina30 (06-09-2011)