Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Default How Do I Get a Power of Attorney for inmate

My son in locked up and his wife is doing everything possible to make him nuts. She claims that she went to see him today and told him everything that she has been doing.....men, drugs, etc and that he is ok with it.....Not hardly....She doesn't know that I have written proof that she is involved with AB and is taking his child with her. She is trying to pull the wool over all our eyes and I will no longer cover for her. Anyway he will need protection legally regarding his daughter, taxes, etc. Is there anywhere he can get this without little or no money exchanged?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Account Closed

Tell him to go to the writ room and they have the forms and the writ room supervisor is usually a notary but each unit has a notary -- they are all the same and have him check the box that says you can handle ALL affairs for him. Then, if you are willing, after you get that, take your written proof and go to court and get temporary custory of that child. If you don't, CPS is liable to take the child and none of you will have it! that will also preclude her taking him for bunches of child support! As for taxes, there is a form for that also. PM me and I can help you with that also. I am getting ready for bed but I promise to get back to you first thing tomorrow, okay?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:07 AM

You can go on line and print a power of attorney off and send it to him to sign also I did this with my ex they notorized there for him. Good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Andy's Girl

Smile Make Sure You File It w/the Courts!

For my husband, I just printed a general one off of the internet (there are tons of free "Forms" out there, so pick the one best suited for your situation). I had taken ours to him at County before he was transferred, and brought a notary (friend) w/me @ visitation, plus a guard was kind enough to sign as a "witness", but I'm not real sure if the prisons provide notary services anymore or not, but just as it is with everything else in TDCJ, I guess it depends on the mood they happen to be in that day.

Anyway, the most IMPORTANT thing is, after you get it back signed & notarized, you need to take it to the County Courthouse for whatever county you live in go to the COUNTY CLERK & pay the filing fee to file it in county court, that way it is ON RECORD! They will stamp a number on it, and give you certified copies for a small fee too. I think it cost me about $25-$30. Just make sure you do that and you should be good to go! If you need help w/notary info, PM me as I am a Texas Notary....Good Luck! I'll keep you in my prayers!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:35 PM
missin my husband!

My husbands court appointed lawyer did ours for us.Didn't charge us a penny.The lawyer took the papers to him while he was still in county jail to sign,then I picked them up from the lawyers office and filed them at the court house.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Account Closed

Each unit has a notary and they are not allowed to charge the prisoners for POAs -- I just got mine 3 weeks ago -- I got the info from the warden but they are right -- file it with the county clerk's office.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Update to all.....wife went to jail on Saturday night, suspended DL plus 4 Travis county warrants. Good possibility of probation revocation. I hired attorney today for custody of my grandaughter. The mother will be served tomorrow. The attorney is also a minister that works with cons and addicts so the papers are set up on both my son and daughter in law and they have a possibility of getting her back in the future if they can get their lives back in order. The attorney/ minister has strong bond with troubled young people. He encouraged me to not lose hope.