Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Weddings
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Weddings Everything about prison weddings - notices, stories, what to expect!

Old 11-24-2003, 04:50 PM
happy pto member

Question How To Get Married In Wisconsin

anyone with questions about getting married in wisconsin or anyone with information please post here. i will answer your questions or help you find your answers.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

sue

Last edited by TNC; 01-02-2004 at 11:28 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM

I would love to get information on the marriage process in Wisconsin prisons. Is the process the same at each institution?? My fiance is currently at Waupun and we're hoping he gets transferred to Green Bay soon. I have some thinking to do about whether do go ahead with it all while he's still in, or wait til he's out. Do you know the legal ramifications of being married to an inmate?? Are there any negatives getting married while he's still in? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.. Karen
Old 11-25-2003, 02:58 PM
happy pto member

HONEYBEAR,
I WILL RESEARCH FOR THE INFORMATION YOU ASK ABOUT. WE WERE MARRIED IN PRISON AND OUR MARRIAGE IS AS LEGAL AS ANY MARRIAGE. WHILE EVERY MARRIAGE IS HARD AT BEST, OUR KIND OF MARRIAGE NEEDS CONSTANT WORK, LOVE, AND UNDERSTANDING ON BOTH SIDES. THE NEGATIVE WOULD ONLY BE THE SEPARATION, WHICH I'M SURE YOUR ALREADY AWARE OF THE FEELINGS INVOLVED THERE.
I'M NOT REAL SURE IF THE PROCESS IS THE SAME AT EVERY PRISON, BUT I WILL FIND OUT EVERYTHING I CAN FOR YOU.
SUE

may the lord bless you and keep you Num 6:24
Old 12-11-2003, 04:47 PM

Hi Sue... I was just wondering if you've found out anything on marriages in Wisconsin prisons. I'm also wondering if Wisconsin allows proxy marriages. Thanks for your help!! Karen
Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 PM

Most states allow proxy marriage, but you have to be willing to travel to one of that 3 states that do the proxy. Texas, Montana and Colorado all do proxy marriage and neither party needs to be a resident.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 AM

I was married in a Wisconsin Prison in 1995. What questions do you need answered Honeybear? I was married at Green Bay.

In October a friend of mine was married in Waupun.

Maybe I can help?

Robin
Old 01-09-2004, 12:26 AM

Honeybear;

I don;t believe Wisconsin allows proxy marriages! But not completely positive. I say that because we can get married in all the prisons except the supermax, no wedding/marriages there.

Robin
Old 03-15-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Wisconsin Weddings

Hi All;

Someone wants to know about getting married in a Wisconsin Prison. I was married in Green Bay Correctional back in 1995. It was a very process for us but I have heard that it has changed. Alot is based on the warden at the prison.

We had our classes through the mail because I worked in the afternoon and could not make it. First we had to get approval from the warden, then my husband talked to his social worker, the chaplain and I got the license and we were married.

Last October my friend was married at Waupun and it was a much more involved process. She had to have classes and it took 6 months.

Let me know what prison you would be getting married in and any further questions and I will be glad to help you or get you some answers.

Have a great day!
Robin
Old 04-04-2004, 12:25 AM

My fiancee is in Dodge right now waiting to be transferred to another prison, probably Jackson. We want to get married as soon as possible. I was just wondering what he can wear for clothes during the wedding? Can he wear a suit? And can he wear his wedding ring in prison afterwards or don't they allowed that? Also if you have any information about getting married in Jackson I would appreciate it. Thanks!

MY 5 NECESSITIES OF SURVIVAL UNTIL HE'S HOME:

LOVE
LOYALTY
ENERGY
OPTIMISIM
STRENGTH
Old 04-05-2004, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah82
My fiancee is in Dodge right now waiting to be transferred to another prison, probably Jackson. We want to get married as soon as possible. I was just wondering what he can wear for clothes during the wedding? Can he wear a suit? And can he wear his wedding ring in prison afterwards or don't they allowed that? Also if you have any information about getting married in Jackson I would appreciate it. Thanks!
The first thing he needs to do is request a marriage packet. Most prisons only allow inmates to wear their inmate clothing, but there are a few that allow the inmate to wear a differant shirt. I have never heard of any prison allowing an inmate to wear a suit. As far as a ring they are allowed a band and again most prisons allow a plain band and many have a value limit that the ring must be kept under. That limit will vary from prison to prison. Some prisons will allow you to bring in at the time of the wedding as to other prisons require that the ring be mailed to the prison chaplin by the store it's purchased from.
The marriage packet should tell you the differant things that you will need to know
Old 04-05-2004, 12:25 PM

okay thanks!

MY 5 NECESSITIES OF SURVIVAL UNTIL HE'S HOME:

LOVE
LOYALTY
ENERGY
OPTIMISIM
STRENGTH
Old 04-07-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinP4
Hi All;

Someone wants to know about getting married in a Wisconsin Prison. I was married in Green Bay Correctional back in 1995. It was a very process for us but I have heard that it has changed. Alot is based on the warden at the prison.

We had our classes through the mail because I worked in the afternoon and could not make it. First we had to get approval from the warden, then my husband talked to his social worker, the chaplain and I got the license and we were married.

Last October my friend was married at Waupun and it was a much more involved process. She had to have classes and it took 6 months.

Let me know what prison you would be getting married in and any further questions and I will be glad to help you or get you some answers.

Have a great day!
Robin

Hi Robin

My fiance is being moved to New Lisbon, right now he is in Fox Lake. We have talked about getting Married but now thought better to wait till the move. How do we go about marriage rules there. You talk about a booklet and talking to the social worker and the chaplin. In december we were working with the chaplin at F.L.C.I. he was fired for giving to much information to inmates, he even let my fiance call me from his personal phone. What do we do

Mariann
Old 04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
We are Family!

No marriage at WSPF?????????? :-(
Isn't that against constitutional rights or something????????
Old 04-28-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleysantiago
No marriage at WSPF?????????? :-(
Isn't that against constitutional rights or something????????
Yes it is against constitutional rights, but the prisons use reasons to make it all look legit. As long as a prison has what they give as a good reason the only way around it is a lagal battle.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:01 PM

Robin, We foundout the the parole officer along with the social worker and the warden has to approve the marriage before things take place. If we get denied what do we do? Also He has to have money in his account to pay for the wedding even the guard that would have to attending. We also have to have a pastor from outside to marry us.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:27 AM

This is at Fox Lake? I guess things have changed since we were married. We were married in 1995 at GBCI and all my husband did was put in a request to the warden he said yes and we talked to the chaplain. We got a justice of the piece!

I don't believe you have to pay for the guard? A friend of mine was married at Waupun in October and she did not have to pay the guard! The person incarcerated does not have to have money in there account. All you have to buy is the marriage license and the person on the outside does that. And then you need to pay the justice of the peace or Judge or whoever marries you. The inmate would need money in there account if they want pictures.

I think you got some wrong information. I would ask again if I were you! Let me know what you find out!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Closed

My boyfriend is a Wisconsin inmate, but while he was in the Minnesota facility we tried to initiate the process. Neither state does proxy marriages. Minnesota required me to obtain an outside minister and I had to submit the money for the license with the application and IF approved then my boyfriend would have to request the license from the county.
He heard from someone else internally that the approval is rare and they were trying to have them pay for the guard too. Which makes no sense, the guard will get paid no matter what function he's watching the inmate do (chow, rec..etc)
I knew someone that was married in Waupun about 18 months ago and it didn't seem as difficult, just the 6 month prep classes.
Good luck, but the weird stuff does happen.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:31 PM

My fiance' was transferred to the Wisconsin Resource Center recently and we are wanting to begin the process for our marriage. I suppose the first step is getting in contact with the social worker. However, i have an interesting twist. My fiance' have discussed him resuming his mothers maiden name, legalling accepting it. My question is do we have to have him change his name legally before we marry? then I accept his new name. OR can that decision be made by the both of us on the day that we marry? Confusing i know. He just wants to distance himself from a father that caused so much pain in his life, and i choose to respect that decision for him. There was some concern that he would be "trying to hide his true identity" if he changed his name while in prison" which is completely ridiculous. I even wondered if he could take my name. I had a friend who did that. When her and her fiance' got married he took her last name. Of course they didnt get married in the system either. Please any info would be greatly appreciated. We are just racking our brains and getting very little answers.

Oh about WSPF, you can go ahead and call and speak to the Chaplain there. I have spoke to him before he will give you the straight answer. I have never heard of anyone getting married there yet. But alot has changed with that place so you never know.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any other info.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 PM
We are Family!

My man is at WSPF. Not much has changed there. They are out of compliance with court orders!

Once my man is moved we want to marry. I live 900+ miles away so how am I going to go to premarriage classes for 6 months? That is BS. I heard in WI at any prison you have to reqest permission from the warden and they can say NO. is this true. I was advised against gettiong proxy marriag ein CO b/c it is a community property state and your assets (if you have any) are not protected.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleysantiago
My man is at WSPF. Not much has changed there. They are out of compliance with court orders!

Once my man is moved we want to marry. I live 900+ miles away so how am I going to go to premarriage classes for 6 months? That is BS. I heard in WI at any prison you have to reqest permission from the warden and they can say NO. is this true. I was advised against gettiong proxy marriag ein CO b/c it is a community property state and your assets (if you have any) are not protected.
I'm not sure 100%, but the fact that colorado is a community property state may not make any differance to you since thats not the state that either of you reside in. I think that it would be more then worth it to seek profesional advise as what state has jurisdiction. Now if the advise you were already given was profesional advise I would love to hear more about that.

Also I know that if you did proxy you had reasons for wanting CO, but TX and Mt are always a option

Last edited by TNC; 07-13-2004 at 09:41 PM..
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Waitin4MiPapi

Question Marriage in wisconsin prisons??

Hi guys, i am new to this pto thing its a great thing by the way! i was wondering if anyone knew if you can get married in any wi prisons? I haven't researched it just wondering if anyone knew off hand if it was possible, my fiance's in waupun right now and we want to get married, not right away, but was just looking at options. so if anyone has any clues give a shout! thanks so much
Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Waitin4MiPapi

Question Marriage at waupun?

Hi all, my fiance is at wapun right now and we want to get married, he's gonna be in there for some time so it does not matter how long it takes, i was reading some posts, does anyone know how the process starts for wapun? and does my fiance have to start that like get papers or something? i assume so, and does anyone know how much it might cost to get married at wapun? if anyone has any ideas itd be a great help, thanks girlz!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:34 PM

I believe you can get married just no conjugal visits!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:23 PM

yes, I know a little about the prison rules for getting married as I just recently became engaged. The main thing i found out is that in my case it will cost about $600.00 to do it.
I would have to pay for the guard(s) time, and a bunch of other stuff. I would have to go to their marriage seminars. from what i was told, it is about a 6 month progress.
For me and my fiancee, we decided to wait untill she is out and do it the proper way, besides, if we did it in there we couldnt stand the thought of leaving each other right after we got married. (no honeymoon.) Our love for each other is so strong that we can wait untill she is out for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMami
Hi guys, i am new to this pto thing its a great thing by the way! i was wondering if anyone knew if you can get married in any wi prisons? I haven't researched it just wondering if anyone knew off hand if it was possible, my fiance's in waupun right now and we want to get married, not right away, but was just looking at options. so if anyone has any clues give a shout! thanks so much

You are like the oxygen that I breath, for with out you I would not survive.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:47 AM
rest in peace MrsD. . . .

I am going to be marrying my Charlie as soon as we can- the rules tend to vary amongst each facility. if you are engaged to a state inmate at outagamie county jail, for instance- they will not allow marriage at all. county inmate there- only with the po's acceptance- and then there are couseling sessions (five, I believe at the cost of 100.00 per session.) of course his po didn't allow us to get married with an open case pending while he was in county. and I don't know which place he will go to yet.

anyone ever get married at oshkosh or kettle moraine???