Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 02-25-2003, 06:27 PM

Default DWI in TEXAS

OK Guys....I'm at the end of my rope. Skip is in for 2 years (this is his 2nd time in...no points in our favor) on 3rd degree DWI felony. (his last offense was 10 years ago, and he did time in 95 on probation violation of the 1993 offense).

WHAT I NEED TO HEAR...is anyone within TDCJ with a DWI that is making parole. I've had parole attorney decline our case (as Skip is bascially a short timer with only a 2 year sentence). I've heard the BPP is seeing DWI, and immediately denying parole. Skip has heard similar stories inside, and I would like to hear someone....ANYONE around here that may be hearing otherwise. I would like to know that he MAY come home October of this year (his projected release date).

He is under review RIGHT now, and he is waiting for his interview at Garza East. They have put him to work, and we already know from his time sheet, he is earning about 2.5/3 days to each day flat time.

ANY input here is helpful. I would like to know if they are letting ANY DWI's qualify for parole.

kath
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2003, 06:43 PM

Kathy,

My brother also was in Skips position. He served his 2 year sentence in full and was just released 2 months ago.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:38 AM

Default I know you don't want to hear this but ...

From what I have read and watched others experience, DWI's are treated more harsh than sex offense cases... Literally one can rape someone and serve less of their sentence than someone with a DWI. It's more illogical bullshit from the system... Makes no sense. You can thank MADD... Or better yet, you can write them and give them a piece of your mind...

Good luck and I will keep Skip in my prayers...
Old 02-28-2003, 07:18 PM

Kath, when Anthiny was in Gurny there was 2 men who were released for DWI's Both were early releases, that was back in November when Anthony was in review since then we've heard of nothing.We think there hasn't been any DWI releases, due to the legislation being in session. It's only rumors, but we've heard they are hanging on to inmates for head count for $$$$Say if you happen to know of congressman(s) who are in favor of the Prison Reform Act or early release for non-violent offenders please let me know. If i hear of any thing KATH i'll be sure to pass it along to you. Take care --**SADIE**
Old 02-28-2003, 08:22 PM

hi everyone,

I was just listening to KPFT Prison Talk Radio and they just said DWI's in Texas do NOT make parole and most time do not get released on their manditory release date. All because of a higher up in MADD is on the Pardon and Parole Board and everytime a DWI comes up for parole she protest saying DWI's are worse than sex offenders etc....! Maybe we should all right MADD letters in protest of this crap. It makes me so angry to hear this stuff. I am sorry someones child was killed by a drunk driver but it was not my husbdand who did it. So why make everyone pay. MADD has become judge, jury and our spouces hope for parole.
Thanks for listening
Janice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-28-2003, 08:22 PM

KATHY, THIS IS CHARLEY'S MOM, TEXAS, CHARLEY GOT A DWI ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO, HE IS IN TDCJ RIGHT NOW, HE GOT 5 YEARS FOR HIS DWI, HE HAS BEEN IN 2 YEARS AND NEARLY 9 MONTHS, HIS FIRST REVIEW, HE GOT A SERVE ALL, HIS SECOND REVIEW, HE GOT DENIED, HE IS NOW COMING UP FOR HIS THIRD REVIEW, I JUST GOT THRU SENDING IN ALL HIS LETTERS OF SUPPORT AND JOB OFFER LETTERS, ON HIS SECOND REVIEW IN OCT. 2002 HIS NEXT REVIEW WAS TO COME UP OCT. 2003, SO I GUESS THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON NOW, HE GOT A NOTE FROM THE PAROLE BOARD IN AUSTIN TELLING HIM TO SEND IN HIS SUPPORT LETTERS AND SUCH "AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" TO UPDATE HIS FILE, JUNE 2003 WILL BE 3 YEARS HE HAS BEEN IN, AND SEPT. WILL MAKE IT 3 YRS AND 3 MONTHS, THEY SAY THEY THINK HE IS A RISK TO THE PUBLIC. I KNOW A FRIEND JUST ACROSS THE STREET FROM US, THAT HAD JUST GOT OFF PROBATION FOR A DWI ABOUT 2 MONTHS, THEN HE RAN IN TO THE BACK OF A U-HAUL TRUCK GOING ABOUT 80 MILES AN HOUR COMING OFF A BRIDGE, HIS PASSENGER WAS LIFE FLIGHTED TO HOUSTON HOSPITAL, HE LEFT THE HOSPITAL, WALKED OUT I GUESS, THE FRIEND WAS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL IN BAYTOWN, THE POLICE STAYED AROUND TILL THEY STITCHED UP HIS KNEE, THEN THEY TOLD HIM WHEN HE GOT THINGS LINED OUT TO TURN HIS SELF IN. THE PEOPLE IN U-HAUL TRUCK WAS NOT HURT, THIS FRIEND AND HIS PASSENGER WAS SO DRUNK THEY COULD NOT WALK, THIS WAS IN HARRIS COUNTY, HE GOT A LAWYER AND LISTEN TO THIS BULLS___, HE GOT 2 YRS, PROBATION, LIC SUSPENDED FOR 2 YRS. BUT CAN APPLY FOR WORK LIC. IN 1 YR. AFTER HIS TRAIL, HE CAME HOME AND REPORTED TO THE JAIL IN HARRIS COUNTY THE FOLLOWING MONDAY, HE SPENT THE TOTAL NUMBER OF DAYS IN JAIL EIGHT (8) YES JUST 8 DAYS IN JAIL. SO WHERE IS THIS JUSTICE FOR ALL , YOU TELL ME.
I SURE HOPE CHARLEY GETS HIS PAROLE THIS TIME, IF HE DOES NOT, I AM GOING TO APPEAL IT MYSELF, I WAS TOLD BY THE PAROLE BOARD THAT I COULD DO THAT. SO WHO KNOWS? HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU SOME, DONT COUNT ON THAT EARLY RELEASE, BUT I SURE HOPE YOUR GUY DOES GET AN EARLY RELEASE, SO GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

DO THE VERY BEST YOU CAN AND
LEAVE THE OUTCOME TO GOD

MOST PEOPLE WALK IN AND OUT OF YOUR LIFE, BUT ONLY FRIENDS LEAVE FOOTPRINTS IN YOUR HEART
Old 02-28-2003, 08:34 PM

Hi Iris,

There is no justice in Texas
Texas Pardon and Parole Board is a joke
I do pray that Charley makes parole.
You know what they say 3rd time is a charm

Wishing Yall the BEST

Old 03-01-2003, 12:04 AM

Default OK...he heard from parole

I just got a letter from him from Wednesday....he was scheduled to see parole at 11am.....

CROSS EVERYTHING YOU GOT GUYS........!?!?!?!?

kath
Old 03-01-2003, 01:06 AM
20k posts one day..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,159 Times in 706 Posts

I just found out an old "pal" of mine got his 3rd DWI while on probation for his 2nd. He just picked up a felony for it and about 2-3 years in the pen from what I hear.

On another note, I was reading an article a couple days ago in the Houston Chronicle that said TDCJ is in a BIG TIME financial and manpower crunch, and the chances are they are going to start dumping prisoners like they did in the mid 90's.
I'll see what I can find on it for sure..

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Been here forever

Fedx is correct. Ibelieve here in Tx the 3 one is a felony.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:27 PM

Fed-x

That would be great if TDCJ was to start releasing. Be sure and keep us updated.

Hope After All
Janice

Old 03-03-2003, 05:58 PM

HI LADIES!! **SADIE here, well this is the first day since my visit with anthony at Coffield Unit that i've been able to get to a pc,and i can't tell you HOW VERY angry i am after reading some of the BS!! I'v seen today!!! first i"d ike to say to KATH and IRIS that my heart and prayers goes out to you ladies and i do have everthing crossed and hope for the very best for SKIP and CAHARLEY !!!! Now on to the BS what in the world is a member of MADD doing on the BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLE ISN'T THIS BIAS?? CONFLECT OF INTREST?? SOMETHING?? TALK ABOUT INJUSTICE!! DOES ANYONE KNOW OF HOW THIS INJUSTICE COULD BE PROTESTED!! SO, WHAT I'M I TO DO TELL MY ANTHONY ON OUR NEXT VISIT, THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE A HOPE OF EVER COMING HOME ANY RSEMBANCE OF THE MAN I KNEW OR THAT HE KNEW WHEN HE WENT IN!! THIS IS REALLY CRUSHING MY HEART AND THIS IS MAKING ME FIGHTING MAD!! THOSE PEOPLE OF MADD THINK THE ARE MAD, I'M SORRY THAT THEY HAVE LOST SOMEONE TO A DRUNK DRIVER BUT THIS IS NOT MY ANTHONY!! HE HAS NEVER IN THE 8 YEARS I'VE KNOWN HIM TO EVER HURT ANYONE EVER!! HERE HE IS IN A POSITION TO LOOSE BOTH OF HIS PARENTS, HIS MOTHER IS IN A HOSPICE IN FLORIDA DYING AND IS FATHER JUST STARTED RADIATION FOR PROSTATE CANCER AND HE'S IN PRISON WITH LITTLE HOPE OF GETTING OUT EARLY!! ALL OF THANKS , THE WAY I SEE IT ,CAN BE GIVEN TO THE JACKASS FROM MADD THATS SITS ON THE BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLE WHO PROBLY JUST SEES DWI OFFENDER ON ANTHONY'S PAROLE JACKET AND DECIDES TO BE JUDGE, JURY AND DENIES HIM PAROLE!! IF SAID JACKASS WOULD LOOK FURTHER MAYBE SAID JACKASS WOULD LEARN THAT ANTHONY HAS DONE EVERYTHING ASKED OF HIM, HAS SUCCEESSFULLY COMPLEATED ALL PROGRAMS OFFERED HIM, HAS NO CASES AGIANST HIM!! HE HAS ALL AND ALL BEEN A MODEL INMATE!! ALL THIS COULD CHANGE THE LONGER HE STAYS AT COFFIELD. HE IS IN A MAXIUM PRISON BUT IS A MINAMUL SECURITY INMATE! SATURDAY WHEN I WAS VISITING ANTHONY HIS SPIRITS WERE AT THE LOWEST I'VE SEEN SINCE HIS INCARCRATION. HE FEELS LIKE HE'S IN A POSITION TO ONLY FAIL!! HE HAS LESS THAN A YEAR TO GO AND HE'S IN THERE WITH MEN WHO ARE DOING 10, 15 ,20, AND LIFERS. THE GUYS DONT HAVE REALLY HAVE ANY THING TO LOOSE BY SCREWING WITH ANTHONY AND COSTING HIM A CASE AND MORE TIME!! FROM WHAT HE TOLD ME SATURDAY HE FEELS LIKE HE CAN BARELEY MOVE WITHOUT SOMETHING COSTING HIM A CASE. FOR EXAMPLE THEY DONT SUPPLY CLEANSERS TO CLEAN THIER CELLS, THIER ALLOWED ONE RAG FOR CLEANING, SO IF THEY ARE CAUGHT WITH BLEACH, MOP, BROOM , ANY EXTRA RAGS, ANY ONE OF THOSE WILL COST YOU A CASE AND IF A GAURD SHOULD HAPPEN TO DO A SPOT CHECK ON YOUR CELL AND IT'S NOT UP TO HIS STANDARDS, THAT WILL COST YOUA CASE!! I'VE HEARD ABOUT THE FOOD THING TOO, BUT I THINK THATS ALSO WITH CERTIAN GAURDS AS WELL. BY THE WAY THE NEW CUTS THIS WEEK AT COFFIELD ONLY 2 ROLLS OF T.P. PLUS NO MORE MAKE READY FOODS .THEY NOW HAVE WHAT THEY CALL MEAT SALAD. IN SHORT THIS IS GROUND UP BOLOGNA THROWN ON A BED OF LETTUCE, THATS FOR LUNCH I WONT TALK OF DINNER. ALSO THERE ARE SOME GAURDS THAT IF THEY SEE YOU GO THRU TWICE AT CHOW THATS ANOTHER CASE.HE SAID NOT ALL GAUARDS ARE THAT WAY BUT YOU CAN'T EVER TELL WHO IS OR WHO ISN'T, SO WHY CHANCE IT! ONE MORE THING WHEN ANTHONY WAS AT GURNY HE WAS ASSAULTED, IT WAS ALSO AN ATEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT. THE GUY WAS CAUGHT BY A GAUARD!! HE WAS NOT RATTED OUT BY ANTHONY AND WAS SENT TO SEG. WITH A CASE ON HIM THAT COST THE GUY ANOTHER YEAR TACKED ONTO HIS ALREADY 20 YEAR SENTENCE. HE IS A SEX OFENDER! WELL NOW THIS SAME GUY IS IN COFFIELD WITH ANTHONY ONE WING OVER EXACTLY. THEY RUN INTO EACH OTHER EVERYDAY. NOW THIS GUY ISN'T MESSING WITH ANTHONY DIRECTLY BUT HE IS STIRRING THINGS UP AND TRYING TO MAKE TIS A RACIAL THING. THIS GUY IS SPREADING STORIES AND LIES ABOUT ANTHONY AND NIETHER I NOR ANTHONY CAN DO A DAMN THING ABOUT THIS . IF ANTHONY REQUEST PROTECTIVE CUSTODY, THEY WON'T SEG HIM OUT FOR LONG THEN WHEN THE RELEASE HIM BACK INTO POPULATION, HE WOULD BE LABLED AS A SNITCH,THAT WOULD BE A FOR SURE DEATH WARRANT FOR HIM AND BESIDES A SNITCH ANTHONY IS NOT. AND IF I DO ANY THING , PROTEST IN ANY WAY TO THE ADDMINATRATION, THAT COULD CAUSE HIM PROBLEMS WITH THE GAUARDS. NOW WHEN ALL THIS COMES DOWN .WHICH IT WILL ,WE JUST DONT KNOW WHEN, ANTHONY HAS BUT ONLY 2 CHOICES, TO FIGHT BACK TO SAVE HIS ON LIFE AND BE CAUGHT, WHICH WILL COST HIM A CASE. IT COULD BE AS MUCH AS TWO YEARS ADDED TO HIS TIME!! OR HE COULD LAY DOWN AND TAKE A BEATTING AND RISK LOOSING HIS LIFE. EVEN IF HE DOES THIS , THIS ALSO COULD COST HIM A CASE. JUST BECAUSE OF INVOLVEMENT. THIS IS A LOOSE LOOSE SITUATION. SO I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO WRITE AT THIS TIME!! I'M SORRY LADIES I CAN'T CONTINUE TONIGHT EVERYTHING IS TOO BLURRY AT THIS TIME, I CAN'T SEE ANY MORE!!! MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU ALL, ALWAYS!! ***SADIE***
Old 03-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Been here forever

Oh Sadie, my heart goes out to you. I do not think that is is very fair for one from Madd sit on the parole of pardons. I can only amagine how you must feel. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers always
Old 03-03-2003, 06:22 PM

Sadie,
First, sending lots of hugs to you. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I undretsand what you are feeling and I agree with everything you had to say. It makes me angry and I have vented on PTO several times about it.
I have decided I am going to write our fine govonor (ha), MADD, the president and who ever I can find to write. I am also writting the Pardon & Parole Board in protest of this woman being on the Parole Board. I know none of this will help. Sadie, right now I have enough fight in me for the both of us. My first letter is going to be to MADD from DDAMM (as one PTO member put it). Drunk Drivers Aganst Mad Mothers.
Saying a prayer for all of us.
Janice

Old 03-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Closed

Kath, one of the inspectors I work with just had his son paroled out of Texas for a DWI. Tomorrow night I will get all the details for you and post them. Good luck and hang in there. I will definately keep you and your family at the top of my prayer list till the decision.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:34 AM

OK, UPDATE TIME.....

Skip wrote me back and said the interview was ~OK~....he wasn't too positive about it....and the lady told him he had refused project RIO and "on the job training".....

SKIP DIDN"T REFUSE ANYTHING...he has a job waiting on him when he gets out.....his employer has already written support letters to the board. He told them he didn't need the programs, but the lady who interviewed him indicated he would NEVER even be considered for parole by refusing their help. SOMEONE TELL ME WHY YOU WOULD ask for employment assistance, when you have a job waiting for you.....????????????? (If you call Skip's employer, he's officially on "leave of absence"....still on payroll, just not drawing a check).

SO...what does Kath do, in all her feisty spirit? I PICKED UP THE PHONE....I talked to a duty officer at the Beeville Regional Parole Office, and we had a NICE LONG CHAT.

He told me that Skip has 2 chances at release right now....the parole review, and the mandatory supervision. They do have him APPROVED for mandatory supervision, which the guy told me is not usual. He said normally on a 2nd trip to TDCJ, you don't qualify for mandatory release. Skip's records reflect he is already an approved "mandatory supervision" prospect.

I told this guy what I was hearing about DWI's in Texas not making parole, and he told me that is simply false. He works up the cases to send to the board, and he is seeing DWI's get early release. He checked Skip's info on their system, and apparently, the woman who interviewed Skip has changed all the stats PRIOR to sending his records to the Board. He now has "PENDING ACCEPTANCE" on ALL PROGRAMS, and the guy said everything looks good!

ALSO....Skip told me he had a bunkmate who's sister called to change the parole address.....she was told her brother would be released in March, and that after March, there would be a "mass exodus" of inmates. LISTEN PEOPLE....Texas may want to keep the DWI's, but they can no longer afford to. They are broke....busted....they are running out of room and money, and something will have to give. They have proposed several options in the news and to the 78th legislature, all BAND-AID, and short term fixes. Nothing that will cover the TDCJ crisis as a whole.

The BPP just had their annual meeting 2/20/03, and you HAVE TO KNOW, they under the gun for the ATROCITY of the lowest parole rate last year (18% last year) in years.

The good news is that Skip is in a good dorm right now. Most the guys with him are older, doing short time, and fighting to work hard, make parole, and get back to the life they were yanked out of. He did write to me Friday to say they are on lockdown. FYI, he is at GARZA EAST.

We have our first contact visit in 18 days...and TODAY IS OUR 2 year ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Keep the faith everyone, we are their REAL HOPE!!

kath
Old 03-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Here and there

Happy 2 year Anniversary! I am glad Skip is in a good dorm and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
Cindy

To love means loving the unlovable.
To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.
Faith means believing the unbelievable.
Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.
-G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-04-2003, 12:44 PM

Kath
First Anniversary to you and Skip. And, thank you for the encouraging News. I have read and heard so many things that I just don't know what to think anymore. I have been so down in the dumps. Reading you post just brightened my day.
Maybe the 2nd half of my day will go better now. It has been 14 months since I was able to see my husband. I am going to go see him March 15, it will be the 1st contact visit I have ever had with him, this July he will have been in prison for 3 years. The reason I haven't went and seen my Husband is lack of money and I work two jobs, 7 days a week trying to hold onto our belongings. I felt I had to explain why I hadn't got to go see him.
Thanks Again
janice

Old 03-04-2003, 01:34 PM

Janice,

ENJOY your visit....!!! It's like I tell Skip...."I know it's hell in there baby, but it isn't always a cake walk out here either!"

Keep the faith, and let us know how the visit goes!

kath
Old 03-04-2003, 02:41 PM

KATH , THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS FOR YOU AND SKIP. MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU GUYS, I JUST KNOW HE'll BE BACK HOME SOON!! THANKS FOR ALL THE NEWS IT'S SOME OF THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD SINCE THIS NIGHTMARE STARTED!! THANKS AGIAN!! **sadie**
Old 03-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Been here forever

that is wonderful. i am so happy for you.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:53 PM

kath, i SO hope this turns out well...pto position assumed!!!

hugs,
emme
Old 03-04-2003, 05:21 PM
It's Almost Over!!

Hey yall' read some of the posts that I posted a few days ago here in the TX forum about the articles in the Huntsville Item... Hope they help, and I hope your loved ones are home soon!!
(((hugs)))
diane