Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > CANADA PRISON FORUMS > Canada Prison Profiles > Canada Prison Profiles -Central Canada Region
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Canada Prison Profiles -Central Canada Region Ontario, Quebec - General discussion forum for prisons in Central Canada. Please feel free to ask questions, make suggestions and share information.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Dale's Girl

Question Information about Millhaven

Hello all...

I was just curious if anyone had some information relating to Millhaven. My friend will be shipped there soon and I would just like to know some things about the place. What i have found on the web really doesn't tell much. So i was hoping someone would have some insight. Thank you for you time.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2005, 05:01 PM

Default What Info Are You Looking For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimlaw
Hello all...

I was just curious if anyone had some information relating to Millhaven. My friend will be shipped there soon and I would just like to know some things about the place. What i have found on the web really doesn't tell much. So i was hoping someone would have some insight. Thank you for you time.
I CAN TELL YOU A FEW THINGS ABOUT THE HAVEN BUT I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.FOR STARTERS,IT'S A SHIT HOLE LIKE ANY PRISON.IT'S CONSIDERED ONE OF THE TOUGHEST JOINTS IN CANADA AND IT HOUSES THE BADDEST OF BAD,IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.IT'S A REAL GRIM PLACE TO VISIT AND QUITE OFTEN VISITORS ARE TREATED IN THE SAME MANNER THAT THE INMATES ARE.AS YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW,IT'S A MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON.A WORD OF ADVICE TO YOUR FRIEND............DO YOUR OWN TIME AND TRY NOT TO GET INVOLVED IN ANYONE ELSES BULLSHIT.AS THE SAYING GOES,"SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST".
I HOPE THIS INFO WAS OF SOME USE TO YOU.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Dale's Girl

Hello Meghenspirit

Thank you for the information. I was just looking for anything in general because i really couldn't find anything. But this does help thank you.

I've already talked with my friend and he said it's not great there, he's just doing his time and writing to me...lol

Thank you again.

Crim.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 AM

Hey
The haven is tough but it is also the reception area for Ontario. Everyone sentenced to federal time goes there first. But they also have a maximum penn there to for what they call admin segregaration. They also have the SHU ( special handling unit) for ontario I do believe! Dont quote me on that but I think....
I knew some people that said it wasnt too bad. I have seen it from the outside when I take the John Howard but up we drop people off there first.
Does your friend know where he might be going? How much time is he loooking at?
There is a book called THE HAVEN... its about some guy who did a long time in the hole in milhaven. It s really good! Ill find out who its by for you later.
I will look for some info...
Take care,
Jill
Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Dale's Girl

Hi there

My friend got sentenced to 2 years, and right now when i write to him i have to send it to the assessment unit, he said they have given him different forms and tests, but he doesn't have any idea where they may send him. He's now working in the kitchen so i guess that will help him. He got sent there Feb 9. what he told me is that he has to stay there 60 to 90 days before they move him. He actually said it's not too bad, other than the fact its too far for me to go see him...Hopefully he will get out sooner than later. I will look and see if i can locate that book at the library. My friend could have gotten 15 months but he took the 2 years in order to keep an eye on his buddy...i just hope his buddy goes where he goes.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:22 AM

"He actually said it's not too bad, other than the fact its too far for me to go see him"

Where are you located? I travel from Ottawa to Kingston on most Fridays and return late Saturday afternoon to visit my girlfriend.

(email removed per PTO policy)
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Dale's Girl

Default Millhaven

Hi there

Yeah he did say that...he always tries to stay positive about all his situations...I can't believe that is true, but if it helps him I will go along with it...I live in Hamilton, so it is quite a distance for me to travel. I'm hoping that when he gets to his mother institution i will be able to get up there in the summer.

Crim
Old 03-17-2005, 11:21 PM
terrorntoronto

Millhaven is Reception for Ontario, It also has another section for people who are deemed high security,which is commonly reffered to as "J-UNIT". Generally inmates who are considered trouble makers go to J-Unit also if you are charged with murder you automatically get a 2 year stay in J-Unit. As for your friends tests, he would be going through assesment which would include C.A.T. test and C.A.P.S test, which are tests used to determine your educational level and needs(anything less then a grade 10 level, will require the inmate to do educational training while incarcerated). CAPS is a basicaly a vocation test, to see what type of jobs you would do well in.

One other important facet of Millhaven is Orientation. Orientation is a three day process. It takes place in a classroom setting, and is used to familarize inmates, with the Federal Correctional System.

While at Millhaven its a good idea to work as you will make $5.80 a day, your friend is in the kitchen so he will work every other day and get paid for 20 days a month.
His living unit would be 2D, which is allright except its double bunked, except for the clerks and the 2 head cooks.
Tell your friend to keep his nose clean if he can, as good behaviour is rewarded by be classfied to a lower security institution.

If you have any more questions, just ask?
I was at Millhaven from July 2004 to Oct 2004 then moved on to Frontenac, now on parole.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Dale's Girl

Hi there and thanks for that information it does help. I was curious as to what he was doing all the tests for and thought that it might be to see where he stands on the education level and stuff. He has told me that he plans on keeping to himself and doing his time, so that he can get on with his life and so forth. I feel that is the best thing to do. So is three months the usual amount time that someone would stay at Millhaven before going to the mother institution?? He is a little anxious about getting to whereever he is going. Do they let you know beforehand on which one they are sending you to? I know these are a lot of questions, I've just never been in this kind of situation before and would like to know how this all works. So any insight that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. You can post it here or PM me. Thanks a bunch!

Crim :-)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:08 AM
terrorntoronto

No problem Crim, Three months is typical, actually for a sentance of 4 years or less they have 70 days to assess you, 4 years and more can be 90 days, now that doesnt mean that he will leave Millhaven with in that period, but at the least they hould have had an interview with a Parole Officer. After which they do the Penn Placement, which basically is the P.O.'s suggestion to the board as to where to send some one. A few days after that he should find out where he is going. Transfer could happen in as little as a few days or sometimes 5 or 6 weeks, depending on what institution he is going. Some jails have more space, Fenbrook and Beaver Creek usually has about 1 to 2 week wait, Bath can be up to 5 weeks, Joyceville and CollinsBay are quick as is Frontenac and Pittsburgh.
When he is working in the kitchen tell him to keep his eye out for a middle aged lady, Tall,Brown hair...She does all the paper work for transfers, she is the one he will "sign" for. If he ask's her when he will sign, she will take his name, and let him know what is going on, but there is no point asking if he has yet to see his P.O. If you have any questions post or pm me
Old 03-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Dale's Girl

Thank you for all that information i will make sure i tell him about the lady in the kitchen, I believe he did say that he has seen the P.O. If i think of anything else I will definately ask. Once again thanx for the info. it really does help.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:27 AM

my man been in recipton sence may 14 and he got 8 years senceing.Yes he did kill someone and i just want to know if anyone knew the time frame they can keep u in recipton.now he has seen a po only once and nobody got back to him.Please give me some advice
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Closed

Brandy, Ive posted a reception resource link for you, hope this helps. You can find it here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...01#post1626601
Old 03-12-2006, 06:14 PM

I just checked out the Reception Resource link and its had some information that i have been wondering about. My man was hoping to be placed in minimum security but because of more than a couple of unlawfully at large charges he will be placed in medium. Because there is a medium security (Campbellford) just 15-20 minutes away from where i'm living now. So if they want to place him close to family i can hope he will go there.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Closed

I hope he gets moved close to you. Its enough that they are gone and you have to adjust to that. Once they are processed its like doing it all over again if you find out they will be far away. I hope he ends up close !!!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
aliuk

Hello, new to this so bear with me if I amke mistakes. I am living in the U.K. my brother is in Ontario as is the rest of the family, he is going to Millhaven within the next week has now been told he is going to med. to max. security. I'm a bit naive to the prison system as this is a first for us. It' really hard being so far away is ther anyone who could tell me what he is going to be going through besides all the tests. Also will he be able write and recieve letters from me?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Closed

Yes he can write and receive letters from you.
Welcome to PTO !!!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Default millhaven assesment

Just wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me....my brother is in millhaven assesment and has been there for 4 months now. He is suppose to be moving to Bath, but don't know when. I filled out an application to go and visit him and sent it to millhaven. Have not got a response yet. Just need to know if I need to apply at Bath once he gets moved or will that application stay with him. Also how long will it take to get open visits? When I call I get different answers all the time. Seems they can't be straight with me. Any info will help as I am new to this. Any info on Millhaven and Bath would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:44 PM

witchinblue I cannot open that document for Reception Resource link, could you please e-mail it to me.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Closed

I have done that for you Missyaro, pm me when you get it or send an email back letting me know.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
curiosity kills lol

Default Information about Millhaven

haha this i know its written by richard dube he lives around the corner from me and is a close friend of my family he spent 400 days in the hole in haven and well i have heard more about it then most as my father served 8 years and spent 200 in the hole...
here is the link to the website
Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
curiosity kills lol

Default Information about Millhaven

pm me for link
Old 07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Down For Life

Your visiting application goes wherever he goes, you won't need to fill one out again once approved. Atleast thats what happened to me (I'm on the Bay list). As soon as you are approved you can have open visits, unless he is till in reception at Millhaven. Also, there you get one grace visit, but its closed.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:03 PM

I'm interested in noting that your boyfriend asked for a 2 year sentence. Was that 2 years or 2 years plus a day. If only 2 years, then the judge can impose a period of probation to follow which quite frankly can be a pain in the butt. 2 years plus one day cannot have a probation order to follow. In any event, you may already know that but if you don't and they try to tell him he has to report upon release, tell them to shove it.

On another related note, I often suggest that clients seek a federal sentence. first of all, in my humble opinion, the federal system is far superior to the provincial, at least in Ontario. Secondly, in the federal system, he is eligible for day parole at 1/6th of his sentence and to parole at 1/3rd. In the Ontario system, there is no possibility of release to a half way house which makes absolutely NO SENSE at all. Inmates released directly to the street are, again in my opinion, crime just waiting to happen. A half way house, while he may not like it there, will, nevertheless, give him the helpd he desperately needs to reintegrate society smoothly. So encourage him to make application NOW for release to a particular facility. In Hamilton, I believe that you have both a CCC (owned and run by CSC) and the St. Leonard's Society facility. The latter would be my preference. Through the years I've worked with St. Leonard's and found them to be wonderful, supportive people who work tiredlessly in the best interests of offenders while, at the same time, making demands as to his behaviour. Yes people do expect your boyfriend to be accountable for his actions and a half way house will assist in that regard. If he tells you he's not interested in going to one, I would personally question his motivation and you should be asking some serious questions about his commitment to a pro social lifestyle. But then that's only my opinion.

If I can be of any assistance,drop me a line and I'd be happy to assist.

Justin
Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Default about millhaven

hi umm by boyfriend just left there and went to joyceville so i can try and anwer your questions for you just ask ill get back soon