Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison - Information Please

Hi! My soon to be husband was sentenced this morning to 6 years in Prison at Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson. Does anyone know anything about this prison I would like to know how visitation works and if I will be able to touch him. I am more scared than him I think. But, I know he want ever let me see him get upset over this. Thanks so much,
Amy
AKA: Joey'sGirl
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Closed

Default does the state of ga exist for its citizens or for...?

Darllin, this is a sad story.Subj:is the state of GA being run for the benefit of its citizens or......? Date:From:To:

To paraphrase a recent quote in time magazine: Is the state being run for the benefit of its citizens, or for the employees of the Georgia Department of Corrections?

The DOC has a 900 million dollar budget, because the state of Georgia has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Conversely, the SAT scores of Georgia's
school children are at 50 out of 50. This has to tell you something is wrong. What's wrong is that the Pardon and Parole Board is unbalanced, composed of only former law enforcement people whose entire orientation is convict; oversentence;lock up forever--and this definitely benefits the employees of the DOC.

The Board members should include educators, psychiatrists, physicians, and other educated people who can see the overall picture. The PAP board as it now stands is a cancer on the government of Ga. , gobbling up taxpayer funds from education and healthcare in order to enhance the prison economy.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Missing Luke

unless you get married you wont be able to see him at all, its immediate family only no fiances...it sucks but thats the way it is i couldnt see luke at all while he was there and when his mom went to see him it was threw a screen so no she couldnt touch him

" I'm here without you, but your with me in my dreams" ~3 doors down
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I miss him so much!!!

If they do let you in the visit. it is through a mesh screen and you can not touch one another, It is not as bad as a county jail, but hardly any better. Keep your chin up and keep your faith, you can make it through this.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 PM

Joeys Girl,
Usually you just go there for classification. Is that ya'lls case? For most they are there from 6 weeks to a couple of months undergoing testing then they are sent to a state facility.

Welcome to PTO. I to live in Ga.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayatatime
Joeys Girl,
Usually you just go there for classification. Is that ya'lls case? For most they are there from 6 weeks to a couple of months undergoing testing then they are sent to a state facility.

Welcome to PTO. I to live in Ga.

ONE
Thanks so much!
I have no idea that is where they said he would go...Unless I misunderstood is there any other prisons in Jackson, GA?
Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:57 PM

No its the only one. SOME do stay there the entire sentence but most only go their for classification. Has he gotten his ef number yet? Do you know about the DOC website where you can see his pic, charges, location--etc.?

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Here is the link if you need it:

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/Offe...OffQryForm.jsp

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Faithfully Devoted

My fiance just left Jackson March 3rd. He was there for diagnostics he was shipped there from Carroll County where he got 11 years for a first time offender for drugs. He was in Carroll Co. for 12 weeks and received his EF # and then 8 days later he went to Jackson. he was in Jackson from Dec. 21 to March 3rd. and then shipFeb. ped to Walker State Prison. On Feb 1 he was allowed his first visitation. Which is exactley 6 weeks to the day that they get there. It is like this for everyone. He sent me a significant other form write when he got there and I filled it out and sent it in and was approved by Betty Lance Deputy Warrden of visitation at Jackson the week before his first visitation. Everyone always says NO FIANCES but I had no problem I have an extra form also if you need I will mail one to you it basiclly ask stuff like How long you have known him where the relTIONSHIP DEVELOPED, wants you to exsplaine how your relationship will assist and contribute to there rehabilitation, if you have any convictions, parole,probation or if your relaTED to or visiting any other inmate there. and then you have to consent to a criminal /driving history check. and thats all. I think it really just depends on the background and counselor. The visitation is threw wire mesh unless you are a permanent and then you can have contact visits but they are very strict, no holding hands... Pm me if you have other questions and GOOD LUCK. I wil kep you in my preyers
Old 04-03-2005, 06:15 PM

Old 04-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks so much! It is hard but, I am just glad now we know what is going on. Now I can wake up every morning knowing I am one more day closer to having him home.

Hugs Ladies,
Amy
Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 PM

My fiance' was sentenced to 5yrs. do 2yrs. in GA. on 4*13*06. I've been told VARIOUS different things regarding how much of that time he will actually do. Is there any truth to doing only 1/3 or the 2 years?
Also, just 6*7*06 was moved to diagnostics, supposedly Jackson, however, cannot find him on any inmate query on GDOC (GA. Dept. of Corrections) site and don't know if he is truly there or if he can get mail or visitation yet.
I am new to all of this and would appreciate any help at all I could get from anyone on how all this really works in GA.
Can anyone help me out?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 AM
waiting for him

Welcome to PTO! In Georgia, there are two locations for diagnostics. One is at Coastal State Prison and the other is at Jackson. Are you sure that he was sent to Jackson? Usually they are unable to call for a certain period of time ( I believe it is at LEAST 30 days, possibly no calls during his time there, just letters) after being transferred to a diagnostics facility Sometimes a counselor or a chaplain can make a one time exception to this rule, but it would only be a brief call if allowed. You may want to telephone the facility and ask them regarding mail and phone priviledges. There is an unstated general 'rule' that the Ga Board of Parole and Pardons does look at an individual's case after they have served approximately 1/3 of their sentence, in order to calculate a TPM however it depends on the Grid Severity Sheet as to the approximate time they will really serve... it varies with each crime. This Grid Sheet can be found on the GA Board Of Parole and Pardons web site. Generally, most people serve at least 65% of their sentence currently in Georgia. Once again, I welcome you to PTO. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Eternal Hope; 06-12-2006 at 07:42 AM..
Old 06-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Red face

Thank You for all your help and for welcoming me to PTO. I received mail I sent him back from the county jail he was in and they wrote "Jackson Prison" on there plus I have already called Jackson and they gave me his id # but told me all I could do was write to him for the next 6 weeks. I thank you for all your help with all of this as I am new to all of this and it can get quite overwhelming!
Thanks Again!
Denarella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Hope
Welcome to PTO! In Georgia, there are two locations for diagnostics. One is at Coastal State Prison and the other is at Jackson. Are you sure that he was sent to Jackson? Usually they are unable to call for a certain period of time ( I believe it is at LEAST 30 days, possibly no calls during his time there, just letters) after being transferred to a diagnostics facility Sometimes a counselor or a chaplain can make a one time exception to this rule, but it would only be a brief call if allowed. You may want to telephone the facility and ask them regarding mail and phone priviledges. There is an unstated general 'rule' that the Ga Board of Parole and Pardons does look at an individual's case after they have served approximately 1/3 of their sentence, in order to calculate a TPM however it depends on the Grid Severity Sheet as to the approximate time they will really serve... it varies with each crime. This Grid Sheet can be found on the GA Board Of Parole and Pardons web site. Generally, most people serve at least 65% of their sentence currently in Georgia. Once again, I welcome you to PTO. Hope this helps!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
waiting for him

Yes it can be very overwhelming, but try to stay strong, and remember we are here for you!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Donation Award 

I wanted to add there are now three diagnostics in GA:
Jackson
Coastal
Baldwin
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM
True Love

Default What Is The Diagnostic Prison?

Can you or anyone help me. My friend was sent to the one in Jascson and i do not understand. What is this place? Is it a holding till they send him to a prison or is this a prison?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
TARHEEL FOR LIFE...IN ATL

Jackson is a State Prison where inmates are initially processed through for Diagnostics but some inmates are housed there for the duration of their sentence. Diagnostics usually takes a few weeks so he will probably be there for at least 2-6 weeks and maybe he will be transferred to another facility.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
True Love

does anyone know how long it take for some one to get mail if they at r at the jackson Diagnostic prison. Oh and does anyone have that number?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:50 AM
TARHEEL FOR LIFE...IN ATL

Sheababy....I posted all the contact information about Jackson on your post "Georgia Prisons" yesterday.....but let me know if you can't find it and I will post it here.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Jackson

Hey there, i'm sure you're guy has moved out of Jackson by now. How long was he there? My nephew is there now, also from Conyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denarella
My fiance' was sentenced to 5yrs. do 2yrs. in GA. on 4*13*06. I've been told VARIOUS different things regarding how much of that time he will actually do. Is there any truth to doing only 1/3 or the 2 years?
Also, just 6*7*06 was moved to diagnostics, supposedly Jackson, however, cannot find him on any inmate query on GDOC (GA. Dept. of Corrections) site and don't know if he is truly there or if he can get mail or visitation yet.
I am new to all of this and would appreciate any help at all I could get from anyone on how all this really works in GA.
Can anyone help me out?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:31 PM
RebeccaKiker

Are there anyones love ones in Jackson now?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:27 PM

My husband is currently residing at Jackson facility.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Default my fiance is in jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeNmichelle
My husband is currently residing at Jackson facility.
my fiance just got to Jackson to do a 4 years sentence, they have to be there for 6 weeks before they know if they are being shipped to another prison or stay there, you can only write, you can visit after they be there for a while, the best thing for us to do is write everyday, and send Money orders, so they can buy things...do you know how much time you can do on a 4 years sentence.....
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 PM

my husband has been at jackson for 2 and half weeks now