Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Current news items and information on events related to the New Jersey prison & criminal justice system, Legal News & Questions, etc.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:33 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,485 Times in 17,290 Posts
Default Sexual abuse of inmates at N.J. women’s prison [Mahan] is an ‘open secret

Sexual abuse of inmates at N.J. women’s prison is an ‘open secret,’ federal inquiry finds

Updated Apr 14, 2020; Posted Apr 14, 2020

When federal investigators toured a housing unit at New Jersey’s only women’s prison, they discovered there was only one male officer assigned to patrol the sprawling building holding 50 inmates. Camera coverage was “spotty” in the unit’s remote areas and non-existent in its storage room.

Inside the storage closet lay a mattress on the floor.

It was among dozens of disturbing findings made public Monday in a scathing report on conditions at the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women, where the U.S. Department of Justice concluded officers coerce prisoners into sexual acts, grope them during strip searches and “routinely” demean them as “bitches,” “dykes" and other slurs.

Read the Investigation Report by clicking the link in the article above.
Read entire article at link below:
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...iry-finds.html

Reading this sickens me. Literally. ...and I can feel the anger coming in heated waves as the reality of these women's situation comes into clear, concise focus. Read this sentence out loud, then tell me it has no effect:

Quote:
Inside the storage closet lay a mattress on the floor.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Edna Mahan: Victim rights attorneys praise scathing DOJ report on NJ women's prison

UNION (Hunterdon) – Attorneys representing inmates of the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women are commending last week’s report by the federal Department of Justice charging that the prison "suffers from a 'culture of acceptance' of sexual abuse."

Attorneys Stefanie Colella-Walsh and Martin Schrama of Stark & Stark, along with Oliver Barry of Barry, Corrado, Grassi & Gillin-Schwartz, jointly said the DOJ’s report "hit the nail on the head."

The attorneys, who are representing prison inmates of Edna Mahan in a class action lawsuit alleging sexual abuse, said "that the system meant to protect these women is inexorably broken, leading to an inescapable hostile environment of discrimination."

Read entire article below:
https://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...rt/5146450002/

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-01-2020, 09:58 AM

I want to cry and scream
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-01-2020), sidewalker (05-05-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 PM

And people say that this sort of thing doesn't happen that often in the penal system. Ha. I hope that the s.o.b is sentenced to life and is placed on the sex offender registry if and when he does come out. It never seems to amaze me that the very system that is put into place to discipline people is the very system that violates their rights and liberties as humans. What a joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
e-Tex (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Not to split hairs, but, it isn't just one person....the culture & atmosphere within that prison starts with the Warden and works its way on down. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil and retaliate against those that do. I'm not going to speculate on any punishment (per PTO policy), deserved or otherwise, except to say (off topic) that the sex offender registry as it is today is worthless, incompetent, and well past due to be returned to its original function.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
cljinct (05-01-2020), e-Tex (05-02-2020), sidewalker (05-05-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,492 Times in 3,239 Posts

This is sickening.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Not to split hairs, but, it isn't just one person....the culture & atmosphere within that prison starts with the Warden and works its way on down. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil and retaliate against those that do. I'm not going to speculate on any punishment (per PTO policy), deserved or otherwise, except to say (off topic) that the sex offender registry as it is today is worthless, incompetent, and well past due to be returned to its original function.

I understand where your coming from and understand that it goes right up the chain of command. but it sickens me that these people can literally get a way with murder under the guise of the BOP, Judicial, LE and every other entity that creates laws and passes them on to the American people. Yet they think that they themselves are beyond those laws. I just wish that they get a taste of their own laws and medicine.
patchouli (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:22 AM
The perfect bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
I understand where your coming from and understand that it goes right up the chain of command. but it sickens me that these people can literally get a way with murder under the guise of the BOP, Judicial, LE and every other entity that creates laws and passes them on to the American people. Yet they think that they themselves are beyond those laws. I just wish that they get a taste of their own laws and medicine.

Tenfold.

Does anyone spiral into control?
Old 05-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Holy shit
Old 05-05-2020, 07:48 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,118 Times in 16,546 Posts

The whole lot needs to be fired. now.
More female officers should be employed there.

I. Just. Cant. Even.
Makes me very angry.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM
The perfect bad example

Has nothing been done so far?

Does anyone spiral into control?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:06 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Apparently the abuse is an ongoing problem that just keeps getting worse:

#MeToo Behind Bars: How Federal Investigators Are Ignoring Prison Sexual Assaults They Are Hired to Report

November 21, 2018
Janean Owens has been incarcerated at New Jersey’s Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women since 2009. In a civil lawsuit filed December 20, 2017, Owens alleged that since her arrival, she was sexually harassed and assaulted by multiple prison employees, six of whom she named in the complaint. According to Owens, she was forced to give and receive oral sex, groped, and constantly stared at.

“I’m gonna tear you up,” one former corrections officer reportedly told her.

“I want to hit that,” another said repeatedly, according to the complaint.

https://witnessla.com/metoo-behind-b...red-to-report/

According to the article, there have been no less than 11 lawsuits since 2015; the DOJ has investigated the facility numerous times.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-05-2020, 10:39 PM

The problem with prison rapes, murders and assaults. As i see it, and as i have read on here several times by Co's is that Co's believe the prisoners to be "lairs." and it's always the prisoners word against the Co's and who will management believe? I ofcourse don't believe that statement to be true. Anyway what happens is All these women that are attacked and raped are told that should they disclose any of whats happening they won't be believed because all prisoners are considered to be "liars". So until this mentality of all prisoners are liars goes away these rapes will continue to happen.
Jacob's Girl (05-06-2020)