Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/NZ Parole, Probation & Release Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/NZ Parole, Probation & Release Forum Use this forum for topics concerning parole, probation and release in relation to Aus/NZ prisons.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:26 AM

Default Prison Parole denied due to not completing a course which was not provided

G'day everyone,

Queensland

Just a quick couple of questions to asked, can the system legally deny my father parole due to him not being offered/provided the course for him to be let out on parole the course is called is (Cognitive Self-Change Program and Pathways) now again I don't under stand the grounds that they can keep him locked up. When they've not provided this course and he can do it outside of jail we've done all the paperwork and found somewhere for him to do it.

Can you's give me your opinions on this matter, It seems to be a bit unfair and uncalled for.

Last edited by Trai Darlington; 04-17-2016 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Queensland
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,206 Times in 5,104 Posts

Hi there, I am sorry to hear of your situation if the course was not offered and it was not available to be completed by your father,then I would imagine that would be good grounds for an appeal.Especially as your father is willing to complete the course on parole.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM

Hey,

Parole is a strange thing. What is the reason for it not being offered? For example. My partner can't complete courses either but that's because he's in a remand jail as he has a special hold to keep him in Sydney. Some of his mates haven't completed courses because they have been in trouble and therefore can't get to minimum. Best advice is to speak to the parole person. If it's like NSW you would have been contacted by parole at the jail and then someone from your local area. They will say why it's been revoked.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:01 AM

My friend has been eagerly awaiting his release on Aug 27th 2020 (two days from now) only for them to tell him ten days before his impending release that he won't be out for 6 more months...!! The reason? They want him to complete a SIX MONTH course, which cannot be done on parole. The really infuriating thing is that he has just spent the last 6 months doing another course THAT CAN BE DONE ON PAROLE!! I mean, WTF???!!!!
Has anyone in NSW encountered this or successfully appealed? He was told he could appeal it, but to do so, he needs a letter from them, which he is still waiting for....
So frustrating :-(
Did I mention I was supposed to get my hugs TWO DAYS FROM NOW? Gah!!!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trai Darlington View Post
G'day everyone,

Queensland

Just a quick couple of questions to asked, can the system legally deny my father parole due to him not being offered/provided the course for him to be let out on parole the course is called is (Cognitive Self-Change Program and Pathways) now again I don't under stand the grounds that they can keep him locked up. When they've not provided this course and he can do it outside of jail we've done all the paperwork and found somewhere for him to do it.

Can you's give me your opinions on this matter, It seems to be a bit unfair and uncalled for.

I don't know much about Queensland law but here is another case in Queensland where the person did the program and still wasn't released. I'm putting it up here for you to read and hopefully it will give you answers or at least pointers to help out with your dad.

SUPREME COURT OF QUEENSLAND

https://www.queenslandjudgments.com.au/case-download/id/74167
Old 08-31-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbycat007 View Post
My friend has been eagerly awaiting his release on Aug 27th 2020 (two days from now) only for them to tell him ten days before his impending release that he won't be out for 6 more months...!! The reason? They want him to complete a SIX MONTH course, which cannot be done on parole. The really infuriating thing is that he has just spent the last 6 months doing another course THAT CAN BE DONE ON PAROLE!! I mean, WTF???!!!!
Has anyone in NSW encountered this or successfully appealed? He was told he could appeal it, but to do so, he needs a letter from them, which he is still waiting for....
So frustrating :-(
Did I mention I was supposed to get my hugs TWO DAYS FROM NOW? Gah!!!
Hey

I find this really strange as you are notified of parole conditions long before this time. The process takes time. Is he a high risk offender? What has the parole person from the gaol and the outside centre told you? When my partner came home I had parole come and do the home visit about two months prior tonoarole and specify what conditions. I guess this is why I find this unusual.