Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,185 Times in 495 Posts
Default Telephone Information

TELEPHONE CALLS
(DC-ADM 818)

The inmate is permitted to make phone calls depending on his/her location and custody level. Currently, the inmate can only call you collect, so you will have to pay for the call. Find out what the rate per minute is to accept a call. Recently enacted legislation will permit another method of payment. The inmate will have a choice of calling collect or prepaying for his/her calls by taking the money from his/her account. The inmate will still not be able to use phone cards. The inmate is assigned specified hours for use of the telephone and are given a specified amount of time to talk.

It is against the rules for you to place a third party call when you are talking with the inmate. This is considered a misuse of the phone system. Misuse of the phone system or other violations of the rules may result in the inmate not being allowed to use the telephone.

Source: Handbook for the Families and Friends of Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Prison Inmates

http://www.cor.state.pa.us/portal/li...nd_Friends.pdf

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,219 Posts

Hi.
Here, too, I must beg to differ. Pre-paid phone calls are allowed in most, if not all, the prisons. Inmates buy phone time (similar to the phone card concept). They then have the option of pre-paying or calling collect. The pre-pay rate is lower by a few cents. Phone cards can be bought or refilled for $15 to $50 at the commissary.
FYI: cell phones don't accept collect calls dialed directly to them, so pre-paid is the way to go there. They do accept collect calls forwarded from a landline, so long as the landline isn't blocked. (Which may explain why my cell phone rings so much ...
Regards,
bob
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Donation Award 

Glad you have some info that is more up to date then what I have been using from the PDOC site! Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 AM

Cali,
You might want to read back through some of the old posts. I posted the following information on 12-21-04.
I was going through some old papers and ran across the Fall 2004 newsletter of PA-CURE (Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants). There is a handy chart in it that shows the difference between rates for debit cards and collect calls in the PADOC telephone system. People are always posting, asking about phone calls, so I thought it would be handy to have this info posted. The rates listed are for a 15 minute phone call. When there is a range, it says "Local calls vary by institution. IntraLATA call costs vary by institution and in some cases, by distance."
  • Local Calls Collect or Debit $1.70 to $2.20
  • IntraLATA (inside your part of PA) Collect or Debit $2.43 - $5.00
  • InterLATA (another part of PA) Collect $6.55 Debit $5.55
  • Interstate (calling another state) Collect $12.61 Debit $9.75
  • International Collect $44.15 Debit $38.00
An example of IntraLATA would be someone in SCI Fayette, Greensburg, Greene, or Pine Grove calling anywhere in the 412/724 area codes, or someone in SCI Forest, Rockview, Houtzdale, Cresson, Smithfield, Huntingdon, Laurel Highlands, Somerset, or Quehanna Boot Camp calling inside the 814 area code. An example of an InterLATA call would be someone at SCI Camp Hill calling anywhere OUTSIDE the 717 area code. To find out what is included in your LATA, you can go to http://www22.verizon.com/CallingArea...or/Default.htm
Old 02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks Bethbupp!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Down For Life

Well I live in Canada, and my bf is in Greene, so that would make it I don't know what kind of call, because here it's either long distance, or its not. LOL. Anyway, its eleven dollars and some change for a 15 minute call. Which sucks cuz my uncle is in the pen here, and for him to call me collect and we could talk for an hour and you are looking at about 10 bucks. LOL. The American prison phone system sucks. Costs me an arm and a leg
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Default One Question on Phones

My question is- In order for the inmate to call you, collect or otherwise, do you have to be on their visiting list first? My mom was unsure of this and wants to talk to her grandson.

Many thanks.

CelticFerret
Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Closed

I'd think it's just the phone list, which has nothing to do with the visiting list? I know some facilities require you to be on the visiting list to send the inmate money. But I don't think that applies to the phone anywhere. Best way to find out is to call the prison and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticFerret
My question is- In order for the inmate to call you, collect or otherwise, do you have to be on their visiting list first? My mom was unsure of this and wants to talk to her grandson.

Many thanks.

CelticFerret
Old 11-11-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Forest phone calls

I got a Vonage phone and we are now paying $2 per call instead of $7. Contact me for details - it's great! My phone bill went from $150 a month down to $16.97!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Calling card

OKay even though I live in Canada, I am wondering since I have a friend who lives here from the states and his number is from Arizona ( Vonage ) can my finace who is in jail in OKlahoma call me on the vonage phone and can he buy a calling card at the jail and use that to call me on my American friends phone???? Cause I can't accept calls on my friends phone, I don't want to ask them to do that so instead I was thinking of either getting a calling card or having my fiance ( in jail ) get one if he can at the jail??? Is that possible?? Does anyone know????
Old 11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Closed

If they allow them to use calling cards, it's only the ones they buy thru commisary. So, if he can buy them, and he adds your friend's number to his list (which takes a month in some prisons) then yeah, he'd be able to call that number. You could get Vonage with a US phone # too actually, or Skype or any of the others. I've heard other people saying they have and then used calling cards or set up a prepaid calling account with the company the prison uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy26
OKay even though I live in Canada, I am wondering since I have a friend who lives here from the states and his number is from Arizona ( Vonage ) can my finace who is in jail in OKlahoma call me on the vonage phone and can he buy a calling card at the jail and use that to call me on my American friends phone???? Cause I can't accept calls on my friends phone, I don't want to ask them to do that so instead I was thinking of either getting a calling card or having my fiance ( in jail ) get one if he can at the jail??? Is that possible?? Does anyone know????
Old 11-20-2006, 08:49 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,219 Posts

Hi.

Pennsylvania inmates can call anywhere within the North American Calling Plan (NACP) which includes Canada, Puerto Rico and other places not inside the US. He handles this like any other phone number on his list.

bob
Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 AM

hello! My son was just moved to Camp hill. I live in NC. While he was incarcerated at the county prison, I had vonage with a local number to him, so his calls were much cheaper. Since I don't know how long he'll be at Camp Hill (he's serving 8.5-18 years), I was wondering if anyone has gotten an 800 number for their loved one to call? Or, would I be better off to get a local number to camp hill? Any ideas? thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

He may not stay at Camp Hill as this is where most prisoners go for classification and orientation into the State system. He could be there weeks or perhaps months before going to his "home" prison. Some do stay at Camp Hill as their assigned prison. You are better off waiting till he gets assigned to his prison placement before doing anything with phones. No 800 numbers allowed no matter where he is located.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM

What if it's a county jail, in Phila., and we only live like 15 mins. away, would the bills be out the sky???? I'm so worried about my first bill. He has called me collect like on Thanksgiving, now this is the first time he's been locked up, and he called about 15 times that day, no joke. so I'm scared to death about what my bill is going to be like. he gets the 10 mins. free calls and still calls me collect.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM

Hello: A collect call from CFCF cost app. $2.45 for 15 minutes. (I live about 5 minutes from CFCF, same zip code.

Joanne in Philly
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Does anyone know who the telephone provider if for camp hill pa? Im trying to set up an account with local123 but i need to know who camp hills provider is. Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Wiser now...

Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,003 Posts
Default I call the facility...

Hi,

I always call the facility, and keep asking questions until I "find" someone there who has answers!

xo,

WW
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Just wondering do you have to go through globaltellink or can you go through ITI? My fiancee is at Camp Hill for a month now and I am still waiting for a call. He said they haven't given him a pin yet to call. We were using ITI and I would prefer to go threw them again since I have an account set up with them! I hope the next prison he goes to for his home prison doesn't drag their feet like Camp Hill is.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Default What to do

okay i have a question my fiance is in northampton county jail and i put money on my phone so he can call me but i put it on my cell phone but now that i know he cant call my cell phone do you think the phone company that the prison is with which is inmate telephone ( ITI bill pay). What should i do? but i have a friend and she says her man husband calls her on her cell phone ALL the time. so i am confused about this whole phone thing. I need help guys SOMONE PLEASE HELP ME... im kind of new to this

Last edited by his_queen20; 02-28-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Waiting Wife

Supporting David - you dont HAVE to go through Global UNLESS youre planning on having him call your cell from Camp Hill. I didnt have to set up and account with them because my hubby calls my home phone (I have Verizon) and it just gets billed seperately on my Verizon bill. He can also purchase a phone card from commissary and call you that way as well, you dont need to get up an account with GLOBAL unless hes calling you collect on your cell OR if your phone bill credit history is bad. I dont know how long it will be for him to get his PIN, my husband got both of his lists approved while he was awaiting transfer from Graterford TO Camp Hill to get classified, so his lists "followed" him there. I can tell you this though, when they DO call theyre only allowed to call once every 4 days and its only for 15 mins. It sucks but once he gets to his home prison it shouldnt be that bad, depending on his custody level. Hope this helps you out and good luck!

his_queen - I dont know why he wouldnt be able to call your cell phone if you put money on your account under that number. You might want to call ITI and see what the problem is. My hubby was called my cell through ITI when he was in county (he was in Berks County) and I had no problem whatsoever. If your home phone bill credit history is good (up to date paid, ect), he should be able to call you collect from county a few times before you would need to set up an account on that phone. My hubby was able to call our home phone the whole time he was at county without me having to set up an account with ITI, and the only reason I set up an account for my cell phone is if I wasnt home to answer the house phone, hed still be able to get in touch with me. I hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

i too have verizon but our line was blocked sunday march 1st. after several calls to gtl i was finally told that they no longer bill through verizon. one woman told me i had to fax a copy of my verizon bill in order to open an account with them. called back, another woman said she could open an account over the phone and my line would be unblocked in 24hrs. i of course selected that method but i doubt i'll be getting any calls soon.
pappa l
ps son is at sci chester
The Following User Says Thank You to pappa l For This Useful Post:
Waiting Wife (03-02-2009)
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Waiting Wife

Thanks for the info, I will have to check into that, I was supposed to receive a call over the weekend from my hubby and I never got one so maybe thats the reason. Hes in SCI Camp Hill. Again, thanks for the input!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Yep , my number was blocked too. My fiance is in chester and called home collect through my regular phone co. I always paid on time also. I called GTL a couple weeks ago and they told me they no longer bill through third parties and I have to open a prepay account with them if I want to continue to recieve calls.
I did and was given $100 credit. Through the third party billing the calls were $11 . Since I've started the pre pay account the my fiance has called 3 times and according to my balance the calls are now $16 each!! I 've tried to call GTL several times a day all week long and never reach anyone and their call back service never calls back. The area code that has come up the last three times my fiance has called is 713. This isn't a chester area code . It is an area code in Houston Texas and the automated system tells me now that my line is blocked again. I still have a balance of $36 on the prepay account too. If anyone else is having the same problem Let me know. I 'm not sure what to do about this as I am not able to get through to gtl at all. Also I would be interested in how much others pay for calls through gtl.
Thanks .
Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 PM

I used to have the same problems and we both decided it was cheaper to just have him get the phone cards. It runs the same and he can call my cell or the home phone. Plus it saves me from getting behind on my phone bill. Switched my cell number to his area code and they are cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to kare bear For This Useful Post:
Always_His (06-28-2017)