Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Default Visiting Rockview, from UK. What airport / hotels are close to Rockview?

hi im visiting soon see to see my friend in rockview but im coming from the UK. im clueless lol n wondered if someone could help me figure out whatairports closest and hotels... thanks 😚
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Closest international airport will be Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport, about a 3 hour drive to rockview. Philadelphia international will be about a 4-5 hour drive.

Rockview is in central PA very close to Penn State University so there are many hotels close by. Look for lodging in State College or Bellefonte. You may have trouble booking something close if you are traveling on a home game football weekend. Those get booked a year out but other times shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you have a great trip and visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to rainey2017 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey2017 View Post
Closest international airport will be Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport, about a 3 hour drive to rockview. Philadelphia international will be about a 4-5 hour drive.

Rockview is in central PA very close to Penn State University so there are many hotels close by. Look for lodging in State College or Bellefonte. You may have trouble booking something close if you are traveling on a home game football weekend. Those get booked a year out but other times shouldn't be a problem.

Hope you have a great trip and visit.

thanks for that.. in a taxi that would be around 300 dollars .... is there any other way i can get to bellefonte other than taxi :-) thanks again i cant wait to go
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM

There is a small airport in State College that may offer connecting flights but likely for more than the cost of a taxi. Greyhound bus service to State College may be available.

I "think" the Pennsylvania Prison Society offers transportation on specified days from Philadelphia so suggest checking with them. Bobbie60 or someone with a LO in a PA prison may have more info. Sorry I can't post the URL as I haven't made enough posts yet.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,656 Times in 4,056 Posts

Greyhound buses may be an option they are cost effective, also check uber prices against taxi prices they can be a lot cheaper.You will need to figure in taxis from your hotel to the prison unless you can find one within walking distance.
Hope you have a great trip.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 AM

ive checked it out so an uber will be around 40 dollars to the bus station to get a bus... now i have to figure out how to get to the jail. its so confusing haha... thanks guys for your replys xx
Old 07-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,656 Times in 4,056 Posts

I did a search and here you go,
http://pennsylvania.hometownlocator....n,-77.7769.cfm

Looks like the nearest hotel is 1.4 miles away but its not the cheapest option there is a cheaper hotel about 3 miles away.
You will need to uber or lyft to the prison and make sure you book your return journey unless the prison has visitor lockers for your phone.
Make sure you are following the dress code exactly as you wont have any option to change.
Also watch the data roaming on your phone it can be very expensive.
I hope your visit goes well and Iam guessing this is your first visit and they are always special.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,237 Posts

As for air travel, you plan to fly into Avoca Airport (AVP). There are connections to State College (SCE) or to Williamsport (IPT). You should see if you can package your flights.

As an example: British Airways flies to Philadelphia (PHL) and then there's a connecting flight by American Airlines to SCE.
maytayah (07-22-2017)