Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I still have is heart
Donation Award 

Question Preparing our kids

My husband plead guilty to a charge and is receiving 55 months in WA. He is being taken into custody at the end of October. We have a 6 month old daughter, and I want to make sure there are still "daddy" aspects to the house. What are some good things to do so she can grow up knowing that she does have a daddy and he just isn't here right now?

I got a "record a story- guess how much I miss you"

But what else can I do?

Thanks in advance

Kit
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Pictures,videos and letters are amazing.My girlfriends husband went in for 6 years and there son was 9 months old and so they recorded him reading bed time stories so she can play them for him.Take a bunch of pictures and even a voice recorder comes in handy because the voice is confort to us all nomatter how old.Good luck.Best wishes and I hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cactusprincess For This Useful Post:
Geauxin'KraZee (09-15-2012), NAN425 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I still have is heart
Donation Award 

Thank you It does help.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittyqat For This Useful Post:
cactusprincess (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Still KraZee in Love !

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusprincess View Post
Pictures,videos and letters are amazing.My girlfriends husband went in for 6 years and there son was 9 months old and so they recorded him reading bed time stories so she can play them for him.Take a bunch of pictures and even a voice recorder comes in handy because the voice is confort to us all nomatter how old.Good luck.Best wishes and I hope this helps
This is an awesome suggestion. Also, keep him in conversation with your child. Tell her his likes , his hobbies, and some of his good qualities. Let him be there in her heart.!
The Following User Says Thank You to Geauxin'KraZee For This Useful Post:
kittyqat (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:44 PM

You have time to prepare u.like I did but tons of pictures and videos
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Till Death Do Us Part

My fiancées social worker went out nd bought him a recordable book for our daughter which he sent to his mom for me for Christmas I had no idea till she picked it up from.under the tree nd handed it to me nd the tag said merry Christmas to my girls who I love very much. I opened it nd it started talking.. so I looked at his mom with tears in my eyes nd she said keep going so I kept turning pages nd he read the story to her the end of the story it said I love you both very much good night nd ill see you soon. It was the sweetest thing I've ever heard in my life. We all cried.. even his brothers who don't cry at all. It was just so sweet.. we listen to it every night before bedtime.. nd I still ccry.

Forever&always
kittyqat (09-19-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 AM

After my husband left, we took a ton of family pictures and hung them all over the house and placed a few in her room. Our daughter was 2 when he left, so he colors pictures for her and mails them. She will either ask him to draw something or I send him printed coloring pages of her favorite characters. She absolutely LOVES getting mail from him. It makes her feel special. Phone calls help too.

Since he is in WA, he can apply for a program (I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) where he can be recorded on video reading a book to her. Then they send the DVD of him reading AND the book to the child.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:13 PM

I see a lot of great suggestions on here, but thought I'd toss in some more.

With my granddaughter, lots of stories about when daddy was little like her, things that she and daddy did together, funny things (like how he had trouble changing her diapers at first), how he cried when she was born. He's been in almost 5 years now and she's 9 years old, but she still wants to hear those stories just about every time we see her (we have frequent visitation, thanks to her wonderful mother).

My son insisted that we give her his blanket and pillow. Every night when we'd tuck her in, we'd tell her how these were daddy's special blanket and pillow and he wanted her to have them to keep her comfy and warm while he was gone.

Angel Tree is also good. A friend of the family did that for her the first Christmas he was away, so she got a special present from daddy. In subsequent years, we planned every birthday and holiday gift with him in advance, and he'd write her a card to go with it.

He can buy hobby craft from other prisoners, and has sent her home special drawings or cards. He also made a bracelet for her that she wore for so long it wore out.
The Following User Says Thank You to MomInMI For This Useful Post:
kittyqat (10-24-2012)