Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:58 PM

Default College courses/education courses

I've read in threads about some loved ones taking classes while at Kingman has anyone's loved ones been able to take courses (not ged my fiancé is done w that) while at Lewis or Tucson?? He's at Lewis right now just got there but may end up moved to Tucson and he said they never had courses before at those two places he's been to both in the past and I know Kingman is private but also lower level yard and I was wondering if those two reasons may be why - but I was hoping he'd have the opportunity to take classes while in doc this time around...has anyone heard of this at Lewis or Tucson??
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,573 Posts

There are.no courses at Lewis. My husband kept talking about Arizona DOC taking that privilege away from them.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM

That stinks I'm going to call and check on this bc it still lists it as having classes I looked and found something after I posted my question - rio Salgado said it had a lot at all adoc prisons and specifically talked about stuff at Lewis it had a phone number for Lewis so I'm gonna check - I know u have to pay for it it's not free but...
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 PM

They may have correspondence courses. Kingman is correspondence. Threre are no computers at Kingman. It's all done through the mail. At first I thought it would be hard to take classes that way, but my grandson loves it. We paid for the first class and now he's waiting to hear about a scholarship for the next one. We had to pay $268 for one class.

Safford has computers so they take online classes and they were free. Both prisons have college level classes and they do get full college credits.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,730 Times in 658 Posts

Rio Salada is correspondence courses. They can complete the financial form and get a free class each semester if they qualify. My son is on his 5th class (I think, I lost track). They can take additional classes for a fee. Or, they can just pay and skip the financial package. To get in there was some test my son had to take, but no one told him; he had to figure that out. He has a high school diploma so that wasn't an issue.

At Kingman, the forms are all in the library. At other prisons, I don't know where they put them.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:30 PM

They offer classes through Rio Salado at Lewis but it's considered a privilege and they have to be selected. There are some vocational classes offered, too. Carpentry, electrical, and there's one where they teach them to be diesel mechanics and they work on the Swift trucks.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisPrettyBird View Post
They offer classes through Rio Salado at Lewis but it's considered a privilege and they have to be selected. There are some vocational classes offered, too. Carpentry, electrical, and there's one where they teach them to be diesel mechanics and they work on the Swift trucks.
Unless its changed, the diesel mechanics is only at Stiner.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:15 AM

That might still be the case! I was thinking I read about some other classes but the ones I named are the only ones I know for sure. I think the lower custody yards have a couple more options as far as vocational training.

I've sent my husband books related to the industry he eventually wants to be in, too. Schooling can be difficult for them to get into so sometimes we kind of just have to make do.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisPrettyBird View Post
That might still be the case! I was thinking I read about some other classes but the ones I named are the only ones I know for sure. I think the lower custody yards have a couple more options as far as vocational training.

I've sent my husband books related to the industry he eventually wants to be in, too. Schooling can be difficult for them to get into so sometimes we kind of just have to make do.
I had never thought about sending him books for what he might like to do.