Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Parole Assistance

Does anyone know what the rules are in regards to a parolee getting help from the parole department? I know "in writing" I have read that there are programs and housing assistance but I have never really heard of anyone getting these services. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about how it is "supposed" to work?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 PM
CSATF/CTC

Default help?

What kind of help are you talking about? What county is he being released to?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. My friend wont be getting out for another year but he already knows that he will be homeless when he gets out. Me being in NY I really can not help him. He will be paroling to Lake County.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM
CSATF/CTC

Default P.a.c.t.

Most of the counties have PACT (parole and correction team) meetings. There are people from drug rehab houses, sober living, trade schools, tattoo removal, N/A, A/A, medical, etc. that give the parolees information on obtaining these things. I live in Orange County. The counties around here have these resources available to all parolees, too. Their parole agent should be able to tell them if they have these meetings. There are 3 meeting locations in Orange County. Actually it is mando for most parolees to attend (at least in O.C.)
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Our county has these meetings also and it is mandatory. I have heard that they have funds for housing and existance to get the parolee started but that they will hardley EVER actually come up with the money for the parolee. Does any one know if this is true or how you can actually get the $ out of them????
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM

When my sister was released in 2001, she was lucky enough to have friends help her out for the first month or so. When they couldn't help, parole ponied up the money for a month at a home where beds were rented out but she had to sign a note saying she'd pay it back. She sat at their office for two hours with her suitcase with her before talking with her agent. Then he made her wait another four hours after she told him what was going on before he told her what they were going to do. The place was filled with parolees and drug users but it was better than the streets.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I love my son

shaa, good luck in Lake County. They do absolutely NOTHING to help a parolee there. I know this to be true..........they will not help and if he were to ask for help it would almost with certainty be denied. They've released my son over and over again to Lake County. He has no family support system there at all. He asked for help numerous times for help and was turned down. Not once, twice but quite a few times! How do I know this...........I was making the three-way calls for him. I wish your friend good luck with Lake County. In my mind....it's a corrupt county!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM
CSATF/CTC

Default S.a.s.c.a

If they do the Substance Abuse Program (SAP) inside, they also get money and help when they get out.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Donation Award 

i talked to my husband po and they told me the do have referals for jobs and such we are in san diego county

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 02-09-2008, 03:41 AM
The Sober Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco's Girl
Most of the counties have PACT (parole and correction team) meetings. There are people from drug rehab houses, sober living, trade schools, tattoo removal, N/A, A/A, medical, etc. that give the parolees information on obtaining these things. I live in Orange County. The counties around here have these resources available to all parolees, too. Their parole agent should be able to tell them if they have these meetings. There are 3 meeting locations in Orange County. Actually it is mando for most parolees to attend (at least in O.C.)
Hello, my name is Shawn and I am an ex-inmate (3rd termer, 5 violations, blah...blah.....blah). I am now a worker in a alcohol and drug treatment facility called The Sober Zone. I am actually part owner. I am from O*C. Our place is very small and I have SASCA participants in my program. SASCA and the parole dept. does next to nothing to help me help these guys. I sure could use a hookup for: food, clothing, and bus vouchers. If you know of any direct places I can go to, please let me know.....Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM
CSATF/CTC

Default sure

I will look through my paper work and let you know. just give my a day or two. my husband just got out of the joint on monday. we have been soooooooooooo busy. mainly with doctor appointments. but i will look for you.
did you ever go to a pact meeting. the soberzone should go and "advertise" what you have to offer too.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 AM
The Sober Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco's Girl
I think that "Won't Give Up" is talking about the notion that there are certain services that parolees are entitled to that the Parole Dept is required to give to parolees, not the PACT meetings, but what the State and/or Parole Dept is mandated to provide............any info on how to get these services??
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Services and PACT meetings

>>>any info on how to get these services??<<<

Pray, pretty much. I don't know about every county, but San Diego parole offices don't even make a show of trying to provide these kinds of resources, cash, housing, bus passes, nada. They just say, "There's no funding", which translates into "You're on your own". I just paroled from VSPW five days ago, and if it were not for a generous dear friend I would be sleeping on the street.

PACT meetings are mandatory, though it varies from county to county how strictly they enforce attendance. Here in SD, I wouldn't risk skipping it because they lock you up for sneezing too loud on parole down here. Incidentally, the next PACT meeting in this neck of the woods is on January 5th down on Imperial Ave. somewhere. I'll get the address/time and post it.

Hang in there, everyone. Tough days are always followed by good ones eventually.

Peaceful respect,
Lorrie
Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Donation Award 

Good luck getting any help from parole. As someone else said, the standard line these days is "no funding". My son has paroled twice and has had to hassle with his PO both time to get the forms/verification needed from his PO just to get food stamps. What he was told was get a job and stay out of trouble. (Oh and "If you are hungry, raid the dumpsters after the restaurants close." Loved that one)

Other than that, don't expect anything from them. Sorry, I too read the Parolee handbook. It all sounds good, but more like a fairy tale than a real list of programs.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:32 AM

Default Here are the actual guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won't give up View Post
Does anyone know what the rules are in regards to a parolee getting help from the parole department? I know "in writing" I have read that there are programs and housing assistance but I have never really heard of anyone getting these services. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about how it is "supposed" to work?
Check out this post listing the CDCR guidelines for cash loans to parolees: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4979489#post4979489.

Other guidelines for parolee assistance may be found in the link at the bottom of the post.

South Bay Scott

Last edited by South Bay; 12-26-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Old 12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Donation Award 

Just because it says they can, doesn't mean they will. Our local office wouldn't even give a bus pass from the parole office to the parolees home city (18 miles away) in a rainstorm. He was told to make it there on his own. That doesn't mean they are all bad, but none that we have met are particularly helpful either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tricksie2645 For This Useful Post:
South Bay (12-26-2009)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

When I took C to the POs office when he was released there was a big sign there that said that there is no more bus passes until further notice. That makes it really hard since people from Lake County have to go to Ukiah (a city in a different county) for the parole office since there is not one in Lake. If you do not have a car or money you are out of luck cause the POs only go to Lake County like once or twice a month.

Also when C was released he was homeless. All they did was say we can give you a list of homeless shelters. That is great but there was no place on the list in the county he had to be in, it was all in the county the office was in.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Question Help for imate when released?

My son is in Kern Valley. Does anyone know if an imate can apply for any kind of assistance when they are released. Also what kind of clothes do they wear when released?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
------------------

Thanked 1,008 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybabe View Post
My son is in Kern Valley. Does anyone know if an imate can apply for any kind of assistance when they are released. Also what kind of clothes do they wear when released?
I'm not sure about the assistance for when they get out, but when they get released they get $200. And unless you send them in clothes they can buy clothes for their release, with that $200. Then if you do not pick them up from the bus depot then with that $200 they have to buy their bus ticket to get back to the county that they have to report to their parole officer.
If you choose to buy him clothes/shoes for his release you need to make sure that they get there within 30 days of their release date. You send it in and put ATTN:R&R on the box. At that point R&R goes through it and then upon their exit procedures they are given their clothes. Then taken to the local Grey Hound Station.
I hope that helps
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Donation Award 

Your son should send you a form about parole clothes. The package needs to be marked that it contains Parole Clothes. There are some things that are not allowed, so if you don't get the form, be sure you contact R&R about what you can send. The clothes do not have to be new.

As to assistance, the parolee handbook says that parole is supposed to offer assistance, but it has been our experience and the experience of other posters that they do not. In most instances parole will hand them a list of shelters, tell them to stay out of trouble and to report whenever instructed. You might check out some of the posts in the parole forum. Sorry to sound negative, but that has been our experience.

Good luck to you and to him. When is he due to be released?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

they can apply for foodstamps and medical care, cash welfare is a bit 'iffy' and seems to vary from county to county. They can deny them foodstamps if they have a drug conviction, but if they completed or are enrolled in a substance abuse program that is supposed to make them eligible.

Sadly, that's about it...if they finished an in prison SAP (substance abuse program) they are supposed to be eligible for 6 months of SASCA funding which provides for a bed in a drug program or halfway house, but the facilities that are available vary a great deal from county to county. The only SASCA bed available to my son in the county he paroled to was in a locked down drug treatment facility, he said after being locked down for 18 months he would rather be homeless

Other than that, they get nothing...if they are homeless they are told by parole to go to a shelter but aren't offered any assistance
Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Donation Award 

Also, in some cases, they will need documentation from parole to be able to qualify for food stamps, etc. My son has had problems more than once in getting this documentation sent to his worker. Last time he was without food stamps for three months because his PO would not verify that he had completed his drug program.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksie2645 View Post
Also, in some cases, they will need documentation from parole to be able to qualify for food stamps, etc. My son has had problems more than once in getting this documentation sent to his worker. Last time he was without food stamps for three months because his PO would not verify that he had completed his drug program.
If possible they should ask for the certificate for ANY program they complete while in prison, my son got copies of his and that is how he was able to get food stamps.