Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Alabama prison system.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:31 PM

Post Inmate death a suicide, authorities say

Inmate death a suicide, authorities say

Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Staff Report
A Mobile County Metro Jail inmate died of an apparent suicide Tuesday morning, according to the Mobile County Sheriff's Department.

Jacob Sashner Jr., 24, was found by a corrections officer making a cell check, said Christina Bowersox, the sheriff's spokeswoman.

Sashner was pronounced dead on arrival at the University of South Alabama Medical Center, said hospital spokeswoman Barbara Shaw. Sashner, of Mobile, had been moved from Kilby Prison in Montgomery to Metro Jail to await trial on charges including escape in the first degree and identity theft. The Rev. William M. Triplet, chaplain for the Metro Jail, said he saw paramedics trying to revive Sashner in his jail cell.

"I saw them lose the pulse and bring it back again," Triplet said, Bible in hand.

He said it appeared that Sashner used old rags and sheets to hang himself. Triplet said he had briefly met Sashner three weeks ago while handing out Bibles to inmates but did not speak with him long.

Last edited by DeniseJJ; 07-14-2004 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: remove ads
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 03:23 PM

Heartbreaking!!! How very sad that a 24 year old man chooses to die by his own hand in a prison cell! Assuming that is how he died. It is heartbreaking anyway!! Judy
Old 07-14-2004, 06:20 PM

Yes this is sad, when your willing to die than face whats ahead of you. It goes to show just how bad things are for those incarcerated. My prayers are with his family.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:31 PM

That was my brother that was found dead in the metro jail (Jacob Sashner). And NO, he did not commit suicide & we have proof of that & other employees & inmates that was there at the time it happen has came forth and told our family what happen. For 1; he knew that GOD don't forgive for self murder, second; he had just had his first child & the only thing that he would talk about getting out to change & doing right by his son, third; he was going to be cleared of 2 of the charges, and third; that was the day that we were suppose to visit him & he was so excited and all he talked about was seeing his son!!!! So No, my brother did not commit suicide...,,, HE WAS MURDERED & THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. A close friend of mine was found hanging in his cell (by way of shoe strings attached to an overhead air vent) just a month ago. He was awaiting sentencing in August for Federal charges. Losing a loved one is hard enough...but under these circumstances makes it unbearable. My sympathy goes out to you & the family.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

OMG missnelson, I am so sorry. This is horrible! When I saw the charges I thought, why? I hope you get to the bottom of this and those involved go straight to prison for life. It won't lessen your pain and sadness but it will be the right thing. Good luck. If you need any resources, please contact us. We have Alabama members that will search out help. THIS IS SO SENSELESS AND SAD.....
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

This is so like the prison systems in this country. Blame it on suicide or "natural death". I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will be able to get to the bottom of this and sue the pants off the prison system so that his son will be taken care of for life.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Donation Award 

very sad!