Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Do you know of a program that offers free college courses to inmates?

My pen-pal is in ad-seg. So he cannot attend classes like other inmates can. He can do courses through the mail, and does some non-accredited ones to use his mind for something, but I'd love to see him take real classes toward a degree.

If I had more money, I'd pay for one or two courses at a time as long as he continued to make good grades.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM

mia 101 my nephew needs a pen-pal you want 2 of them he's lonely
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Not yet, but send me a pm in case it doesn't work out with this one.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Mia - I can't think of any correspondence courses that are accredited. The online courses BARELY are.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Well, that blows. I don't know why, maybe because I believe in everyone to a certain extent, but I just feel like this guy could turn things around if he wanted. And he wants to take college classes.

I feel like when he gets out it will be harder, but if he gets started, then he may be more likley to finish.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Closed

Do NOT rip on online courses. Many of them are directly through in-classroom institutions so the coursework is identical to that of any other degree. My mom just earned her 3rd masters degree from a school while doing it online and I've completed some graduate coursework online. It has been, in fact, more difficult than in-classroom work.

My penpal earned his BS and is now working on his masters degree while incarcerated. I'll find out which schools he's been working with.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanks! If you don't mind finding out the cost for a course + the materials, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Was I ripping on them? I got my undergrad from University of Phoenix - one of the first schools to go online.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul
Mia - I can't think of any correspondence courses that are accredited. The online courses BARELY are.
I consider that a rip.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

Then I guess you need more information about why I say they are BARELY accredited.

When I applied to LAW school, I had issues because I went to UOP. I was told that WASC (the accrediting body here) had reluctantly admitted UOP, and at that time was not even considering accrediting the on-line courses. My transcripts were carefully scrutinized to be sure that none of my units were from on-line classes. I am sure that if I had taken any on-line course work, I would not have been admitted to law school.

BTW - my law school isn't even a ranked school, even though it is ABA. Had I tried Pepperdine or Loyola I would have been laughed out of the admissions office, and I am sure the same remains true today.

Traditional post graduate schools frown upon UOP and on-line schools. I have many friends that graduated with me from UOP who were denied entry into mainstream academic institutions for their master's degrees. They were forced to take the UOP master's programs. That is fine for working professionals, who's employers don't care where the degrees came from. For someone who isn't already employed, and will be relying on academic records for a first job, it would be a problem.

Call it a rip - its just the truth.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

I think any kind of credits would help my pen-pal - especially if he completed an associates degree or a BA.

If nothing else, he'd be accomplishing something and have something ro occupy his time and feel proud of.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,595 Times in 2,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_101
I think any kind of credits would help my pen-pal - especially if he completed an associates degree or a BA.

If nothing else, he'd be accomplishing something and have something ro occupy his time and feel proud of.
just out of curiousity will he be in ad seg his whole time in there?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

If I understood him correctly, it's 2 years of watching, then 9 months of an ex-gang program, then transfer to minimum security. He did not tell me how long he's been in ad-seg.

I think if he gets to minimum he can take classes there, can't he? TX offers college, doesn't it?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Oh, also, besides college guild courses, can anyone think of anything else constructive he can do?

He's really eager to do something.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Donation Award 

Mia_101, I admire you for trying to help your pen pal but no inmate in Texas has access to the internet. If he is interested in taking correspondence courses that are trade related, there are some of those that are accredited such as heating and AC. If he could complete the bookwork part of something like that then he could do the hands on part when he is in a less restrictive environment but in TEXAS no Inmate can take a course online. It amazed me the other day when I asked that a Chaplin send me an email because we were having trouble connecting by phone. Not even the chaplins have access to the internet in Texas. so check with your friend and see if he would be intrested in studying some trade, just the bookwork part and the hands on later. I have not checked correspondence courses but they use to have them that were not online. So I do think it is possible but doubt that it would be free. What county is he in? He may be able to get something from a local County community college at a reasonable fee. I am a true proponent of education and of keeping the mind occupied with new ,meaningful material. The reason I ask the county is that each county in texas varies in what it has to offer and also the cost. If he can get something from the county in which he is located, it will be much chaeaper than from another county. If I can help, Pm me.
jean

Last edited by lormur; 03-01-2007 at 12:19 AM..
Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Beaumont, TX. I do not know what county that is.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul
Then I guess you need more information about why I say they are BARELY accredited.

When I applied to LAW school, I had issues because I went to UOP. I was told that WASC (the accrediting body here) had reluctantly admitted UOP, and at that time was not even considering accrediting the on-line courses. My transcripts were carefully scrutinized to be sure that none of my units were from on-line classes. I am sure that if I had taken any on-line course work, I would not have been admitted to law school.

BTW - my law school isn't even a ranked school, even though it is ABA. Had I tried Pepperdine or Loyola I would have been laughed out of the admissions office, and I am sure the same remains true today.

Traditional post graduate schools frown upon UOP and on-line schools. I have many friends that graduated with me from UOP who were denied entry into mainstream academic institutions for their master's degrees. They were forced to take the UOP master's programs. That is fine for working professionals, who's employers don't care where the degrees came from. For someone who isn't already employed, and will be relying on academic records for a first job, it would be a problem.

Call it a rip - its just the truth.
I've heard nothing but negative things about UOP. That's why I immediately ruled them out when I was looking into graduate schools. They're overpriced and they are "barely" accredited...as you put it. The majority of the universities that offer online coursework (not online universities as UOP is) are well-respected. My masters degree will be identical to that as the in-classroom degree earned at Tiffin University. No future employer or school will know the difference. UOP has a bad reputation, I'm sorry to say.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

I'd like to post more when I can learn it. In the mean time let me toss something out there that I do know because I try to learn then speak. (I can barley manage that still after 47 years)

102 institutions are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission. Amongst them is the Univeristy of Phoenix, Phoenix, Hohokam Campus. Other institutions accredited by ths agency include:

Oklahoma State University
Oral Roberts University
University of Arizona
New Mexico State University
Arizona State University
Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture

The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission is the primary institutional accreditation agency for all of these institutions. Accreditation agencies are regional and all under the auspice of the US Department of Education. Want to look into who is accredited by whom? Link is below.

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.asp

Now, reputation is another thing but reputation is perpetuated by word of mouth and often, as was done here, based on heresay. There may be some unfortunate truth to what was said, I wouldn't know, but I can assure you this. Education is where you find it. I attended two years at Texas A&M University before finishing at - where? - University of Houston at Clear Lake? WTF is that? Let me tell you, I had some of the absolute worst instructors at A&M. It was basically be able to learn it on your own or you're f**d. Of course, there were some brilliant ones as well. But I found a good EDUCATION - ya' know? T-E-A-C-H-I-N-G? that word? - elsewhere. No one may take UHCLC as seriously as TAMU but I can tell you that I actually learned material that those at A&M merely survived. I prove that daily and I am smug about it, too. By the way, gig 'em Aggies! Once an Aggie, always and Aggie. I am NOT dissin' Aggies. I am saying to not dismiss a student graduating from another institution out of hand based upon nothing more than gab.

I'm interested in figuring out which colleges actually provide correspondence classes as opposed to the "distance learning" that most have which require access to internet or to VCR/televsion, etc. Probably will have to get on the phone to find out. I have learned that many Texas colleges work with TDCJ to provide college insruction at units in their area in conjuction with WSD. You may find out which institutions work with the unit that your friend is at and call them. They may be able to help you get started. I see where UHCLC, for instance, offers a non-competitive scholarship to graduate students (at the units they work with) that allows one class per semester for free. Undergradute program allows one class per semester on a reimbursment plan. Other places may have similar offers. I didn't look around too much because I don't know where your friend is. Plus I still don't have a handle on whether any can accomodate non-electronic correspondence. I'm still poking around in between short spurts of what I am supposed to be doing here.

BTW, Rissie Owens and I share that alma mater (UHCLC). Aint I proud?

Royce

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-02-2007 at 08:58 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts

There is a bill that the Texas lege is currently considering. It is in committee right now. If it passes, it will allow for men in Ad seg to work on thier GED. They wouldn't leave ad seg to go to school, but the assignments would be brought to them. It is a good bill. Hopefully, it will pass.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts

P.S. Good info, Royce. And I agree 100% with you about different universities. Teaching is a skill, just because a person knows something doesn't mean they have the ability to teach other's that knowledge. The best instructor I ever had was at UT Permian Basin, Dr. Rothstien. He challenged me, inspired me, made me laugh, frustrated me, his classes kicked my butt and when it was all over he had taught me; not just about communication but about life as well.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanks for the info guys! He has his GED but I'm glad for the bill for other inmates.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

That bill is not limited to just GED by the way it is worded.

By: Hodge H.B. No. 47

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
relating to the provision of educational services to certain inmates imprisoned in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 501, Government Code, is amended by adding Section 501.020 to read as follows:
Sec. 501.020. IN-CELL EDUCATION. The department may establish a policy to provide in-cell education to an inmate confined in administrative segregation if:
(1) the inmate would benefit from the education; and
(2) the education can be provided to the inmate in a way that does not pose a threat to the health or safety of any department staff member or other inmate.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2007.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 PM
AWAITING HIS RETURN

TRY PCDI. PROFESSIONAL CAREER DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE. HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO SOME BOOK WORK. SOME COURSES REQUIRE HANDS ON BUT IF YOU DO THE WORK IT SHOULD BE FINE. THEY MAIL OUT THE COURSE WORK, IT IS WORTH LOOKING INTO. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO WWW.PCDI.COM. HOPE THIS HELPS.
MY VERY BEST FRIEND....

I LOVE YOU BABY!!
2007 IS OUR YEAR!