Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Article: Not just a junkie. he's my brother

Not just a junkie. he's my brother

Arabella Jesson
Prejudice about drug addiction has hindered her brother's recovery

My brother is a drug addict. The second of my three elder brothers, his life is not an easy one and he has plenty of problems. But whatever anyone else wants to call him — junkie, loser, waster, and he’s been called them all — the only thing that matters to me is that he’s my brother. Twenty years ago I was trying to keep him alive by helping him over his addiction to heroin and alcohol. It took a long time. I was 15 when he first went “cold turkey” and climbed into my bed shivering, sweating and crying while I hugged him tightly to try to keep the terrible dreams away. It was another nine years before he was pronounced “clean”. I’m now 43 and we are doing the same again.

For Full Article (This is a very good story)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
waiting for him

It is a good story Shelby. I truly hope this time he can make it back once again!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Closed

This is a very heartfelt story which I can relate too. Ive been clean for so many years now but I also have a disease that causes me to have pain at various levels 24/7. Unfortunately I have no choice sometimes but to go on strong painkillers and being a recovered addict I can tell you that I really have to be very careful that I dont abuse these drugs. I can easily see how a recovered addict could slip into an addiction to pain meds. Its very important that a recovered addict lets the doctors know about any drug abuse history so they can watch for signs of abuse and not be easily conned into repeating prescriptions for pain that is actually no longer there. The body can easily trick an addict into making them believe that pain is still there when its not. Anyone who has had a drug problem in the past should always be honest with their doctor. There are many other options for pain relief also and if the doctor does not offer alternatives then you need a new doctor.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Bonnie needs Clyde

i have a petition in the petition forum for Rehabilitate no Incarvcerate, it is called US JUstivce Reform, if you have a loved one that is an addict or had a mental illness and been incarcerated , you should really check this out. you can send me a message as well and i will give you the link.Good Luck to all!

In It For The Long Haul!

Our anniversary is on it's way!
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM

Boy, can I relate to this. Statistics for recovery are frightening. I really think drug addiction needs to be put high on the list as far as study goes. Addiction is scary and not only effects the life of the addict but the people that love he/she as well.